nrh

Re: Next film I plan to see

Post by nrh »

rischka wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:56 amomg 😭
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MP_H_HU2OvQ
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

les rendez-vous d'anna (chantal akerman) i haven't watched a french film yet this month, and i haven't watched a film from the '70s yet this month, i.e., my ocd must be acting up
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY at Metrograph on Monday.

I've been unable to get far in the Criterion Blu-Ray. Any words from anyone on the film?
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

Roscoe wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:34 pmBRIGHTER SUMMER DAY
a goat. fo sho. the corruption of youth. destruction of the self within the larger society. americanization as the end of the world. such good stuff. and so novelistic - which is a term i've come to loathe using when it comes to films - but it just is, as only a longform flick can be. yang takes hsiao-hsien's aesthetic, and makes the best film that triple h never made. i'm not adverse to taking breaks from a movie, especially a looong one (this isn't really a choice that you have, unless the cinema is gonna have at least one intermission), but i was totally absorbed in absd. i think i paused it only once to take a bathroom break, and that was about it. it's such a dense piece of work. and the way the narrative unfolds is brilliant. little revealing moments on a large sprawling canvas. like a pointilist painting, if each dot were a little picture (instead of just a dot) within the larger work. focus gradually, seamlessly shifts from character to character to the point that you don't realize that you've been caught up in some other narrative thread, until you're well into it. at the same time, when this happens, you're not sitting there thinking, well hey what about those characters over there that we were following for a while, what's going on with them? and the reason you don't wonder this is cuz all these threads aren't mere digressions. you're not pausing from one storyline to go do something else for a while. you're following characters that are all part of this ensemble work (not altman-style ensemble though; not a shitload of characters for the sake of having a shitload of characters), where each member of the cast is integral to crafting this multilayered story. there's a protagonist to be sure, but the amount of worldbuilding that takes place around him (real world worldbuilding mind you) necessitates that it be populated by a host of other equally important (if supporting) characters. and there are just so many brilliant sequences, and they are all exceptionally well done. most films can't sustain themselves for two hours. this one never falters for four. momentum doesn't die down. things don't become a slog. the craftsmanship doesn't lapse. idk how yang kept the whole thing together, but thank gawd he did. cuz it's a damn near perfect film. i imagine seeing it on a big screen would be a transcendental experience. i hate to say it, but i could see you coming back and saying you didn't give a damn about anyone in the film (that's part of what i luv about you, roscoe), but i really hope you dig it
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Thanks for the words -- I'm looking forward to seeing it on a bigger than my TV-sized screen. The 4 hour running time is daunting, but a guy's gotta see what a guy's gotta see. Are there usually breaks when this is shown theatrically?

I hate to say it, but part of the problem for me was that I was simply having a hard time keeping the characters straight when watching the Blu-Ray. Hoping the big screen will help with that. And I've taken a look at the Criterion pamphlet as a warm-up. Not sure if I'll come back with a "shrug whatevs" vibe -- that kind of thing usually announces itself for me right up front, and I've seen enough of it to want to keep going under better conditions. It's not like PARASITE where once the setup became clear I just sat there bored senseless.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

office (johnnie to) ain't watched a to in a hot min, so i'm kinda sorta super excited
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Looks like 1917 and LITTLE WOMEN will be on the agenda in the coming couple weeks, because the husband wants to see them and anybody who accompanies me to a screening of A BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY has to be accommodated once in a while.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Well, not the next I plan to see, but one I just learned I'll be able to see soon: the restored Filibus, the awesome 1915 Italian adventure of lore, is coming to my local silent film festival in April. Can't contain my ebullience!

Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

Tomorrow I finally get a chance to watch Duvidha. I know it's popular here, and I'm excited to find out what the fuss is about.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

no clue where to post this, but just finished hou hsiao-hsien's dust in the wind, and now in the midst of takashi miike's dead or alive, and just have to say i have no idea what's going on, betwixt watching both, so...... (i.e. head is spinning big time :pirates: )
rischka

Post by rischka »

felt a sudden lubitsch urge and started watching 'to be or not to be' which i haven't seen in so long i'd almost totally forgotten it! so it's like watching for the first time!! excited :D

https://twitter.com/rbgscfz/status/1227 ... 66304?s=20
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

he wants to play Hamlet!

one of my favourite movies ever made.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY is at the Metrograph again, and I might go ahead. And there's a new restoration of L'INNOCENTE at Film Forum, and in a couple weeks COME AND SEE, and suddenly there's serious demands on my movie-going time...
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

Rocco and His Brothers and The Gold Diggers, have had them from a DVD rental place (must be one of the few left in the UK) for a while and wanna return them. Not very familiar with either director, think I've only seen The Leopard and The Party, respectively.
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
rischka

Post by rischka »

watching parasite mainly to piss off cheeto benito

ANTIFA 4-EVA

brian d

Post by brian d »

any of you fine people have a copy of hsu tseng-hung's temple of the red lotus lying around? i'm having trouble finding it in the usual spots.
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

COME AND SEE at Film Forum tonight...
Silga

Post by Silga »

2001: A Space Odyssey tomorrow. The second time I'll be watching it in a cinema, but the first time was on a relatively small screen. Now it will be on the biggest screen in the city. Not sure which version or restoration it will be. Will have to check on that before screening. Although, sadly and most definitely it's going to be a DCP, because that screening room no longer has a film projector.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

gol maal (hrishikesh mukherjee) haven't watched a movie in ten days, so an indian flick seems like the best way to segue back into the groove. also, for the '79 poll
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Now that movie-going is kind of on hold in NYC, I'll just have to make do with all those Blu-Rays and 4K Blu-Rays and DVDs all over the place.
Silga

Post by Silga »

My local film festival that was due to start next week has been cancelled as well. A sad time indeed. It was supposed to be the 25th edition with lots of great films in the program and special screenings at the Opera and Ballet theater (including Chaplin's The Circus with live orchestra). Last year's attendance was 126,000. It was announced that films will be screened digitally on four different VOD platforms, but, obviously, not every film will be available.
ofrene

Post by ofrene »

Why is Yellow the Middle of the Rainbow? till May 6

https://www.spikeisland.org.uk/programm ... e-rainbow/
:lboxd:
rischka

Post by rischka »

missed that one ^ but i'm watching wang bing's dead souls on mubi. damn commies >?(

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

It may not be the very next movie I watch, but I just stumbled across an Ulmer I didn't expect to see and I. am. excited. It's one of those he didn't sign his name to, which only makes it sexier.
3 so y.JPG
3 so y.JPG (58.7 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
rischka

Post by rischka »

LOL i've seen that but can't really remember anything about it

ANTIFA 4-EVA

liquidnature

Post by liquidnature »

rischka wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:31 am LOL i've seen that but can't really remember anything about it
:lboxd:
Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

rischka wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:31 am can't really remember
As rich in political subtext as any Ulmer I've seen; the two sympathetic adults are a Berniecrat and a Warrenocerous, and they stop the movie at least once to debate effective strategies for reform, each from their position. PLUS there's a beautiful couple of baby lesbians (who get rehabilitated) (but without judgement or shaming) (and without being suicided).
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
rischka

Post by rischka »

i'll try it again as i'm a fan of nasty girlz cinema :)

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

rischka wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:03 pm i'll try it again as i'm a fan of nasty girlz cinema :)
At least going by LBD, I see that you haven't seen The Nasty Girl itself - good flick; might be worthwhile :D