DtC voting and watching

flip

Re: DtC voting and watching

Post by flip »

Angel wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:52 am
Highest average rating:
lovericekim-4,95
this is the one issue i have with the tabulation (getting voters to rate each individual film is the best system, overall, but it's still not perfect). when one voter gives an average rating of almost 5, really what you're partly measuring when averaging the ratings is "did lovericekim see this movie?" the movies lovericekim has not seen do not get the benefit of their generosity.

imo the fairest system would rescale each voter's ratings so their average rating was reasonably close to the overall average rating, so that films seen by the harshest critics aren't overly penalized, and films seen by the easiest graders do not overly benefit. i'd be happy to help with the math if there's any interest in introducing that kind of change.
Angel

Post by Angel »

flip wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:14 pm
Highest average rating:
lovericekim-4,95
this is the one issue i have with the tabulation (getting voters to rate each individual film is the best system, overall, but it's still not perfect). when one voter gives an average rating of almost 5, really what you're partly measuring when averaging the ratings is "did lovericekim see this movie?" the movies lovericekim has not seen do not get the benefit of their generosity.

imo the fairest system would rescale each voter's ratings so their average rating was reasonably close to the overall average rating, so that films seen by the harshest critics aren't overly penalized, and films seen by the easiest graders do not overly benefit. i'd be happy to help with the math if there's any interest in introducing that kind of change.
lovericekim's ballot is a extreme case because she only rated 39 films, mostly favorites. The system is far from perfect and this is not the best way to play, but that's life!
cinesmith

Post by cinesmith »

How did I miss this entirely?!?
rischka

Post by rischka »

cinesmith wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:53 pm How did I miss this entirely?!?
probably because it started when the forum was down
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

You might get an exemption to vote as the results are not live yet. There is a spreadsheet shared over at the ICM forum that does the ratings for you automatically based on your IMDb votes if you don't have the time to do it manually.
Mario Gaborovic

Post by Mario Gaborovic »

Come over to the ICM community.

Here is the thread:
https://forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6870
Angel

Post by Angel »

BBC tables don't work here, so you'll have to see the results at the ICMforum. ;)
rischka

Post by rischka »

thanks for your work angel ♥

ANTIFA 4-EVA

flip

Post by flip »

so far one of my nominees got in, arrival (mani kaul), and another, play (gholam reza ramezani), had an average rating over the threshold but not enough votes overall. so already a more successful year for my noms than i've had in a few years i think!

thanks for all your work, angel :)
Angel

Post by Angel »

Hermann Kösterlitz's Katharina, die Letzte was my favorite discovery this year. :D Thanks for that, flip, and better luck next year.

flip

Post by flip »

Angel wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:02 pm Hermann Kösterlitz's Katharina, die Letzte was my favorite discovery this year. :D
oh cool, i love that movie! it only got three votes, but they were 6, 6, and 5, so maybe it has a chance in the future. hermann kosterlitz later became henry koster, director of several deanna durbin films, but he had already developed a great feel for comedy before he moved to the states (the following year).
RogerTheMovieManiac

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac »

I've been meaning to see 'Katharina, die Letzte' for years. 6, 6, and 5 are super scores, so it has great potential. Looking forward to it!
rischka

Post by rischka »

Pêcheur d'Islande didn't make it. one of the best films i've seen last year. i forget there are so many silent haters at ICM

ANTIFA 4-EVA

greennui

Post by greennui »

rischka wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:34 pm Pêcheur d'Islande didn't make it. one of the best films i've seen last year. i forget there are so many silent haters at ICM
Thought that one would be a shoe-in
Angel

Post by Angel »

greennui wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:00 pm
rischka wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:34 pm Pêcheur d'Islande didn't make it. one of the best films i've seen last year. i forget there are so many silent haters at ICM
Thought that one would be a shoe-in
Where is Sally when you need her?
jal90

Post by jal90 »

It seems it just wasn't seen enough, with 8 votes the trends could go anywhere. A lot of my nominations didn't have a substantial amount of viewers either (including one (1, my :dance:) vote to an animation that is available on YouTube, that speaks volumes to my lack of promotion), so I can't make a proper judgement.

Violent Saturday is the one that's left in my case and I don't think it's going to make it so... three DtCs this year it will be.
rischka

Post by rischka »

you've done way better than me

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

oh! I got a holdover on rio Zona Norte! woooooot

ANTIFA 4-EVA

jal90

Post by jal90 »

rischka wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:06 pm you've done way better than me
The ones that got in from my noms were safer I think, and also more widely watched so I had a better idea of their chances. One of them (Marona) was featured in one of the film festivals of the forum.

Anyway, I'd like to check your noms, sadly I couldn't before the deadline but they all look very interesting.
rischka

Post by rischka »

i gave violent saturday 5 as promised 8-)

ANTIFA 4-EVA

jal90

Post by jal90 »

rischka wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:55 pm i gave violent saturday 5 as promised 8-)
Yay! :dance: :dance:

I think it has a chance then!
flip

Post by flip »

i gave it a 4, which is a helpful vote
jal90

Post by jal90 »

That makes three :dance: :dance: :dance:
rischka

Post by rischka »

sorry we couldn't come through for you jal90 :(

ANTIFA 4-EVA

jal90

Post by jal90 »

Oh, thanks a lot for the support! It got similar results from last year in the end, so it seems positive and negative votes were evened out. I may try it again next year.
ofrene

Post by ofrene »

if i didn't forget voting i'd give Pêcheur d'Islande 6...;(
:lboxd:
oOgiandujaOo

Post by oOgiandujaOo »

Angel wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:50 pm
flip wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:14 pm
Highest average rating:
lovericekim-4,95

lovericekim's ballot is a extreme case because she only rated 39 films, mostly favorites. The system is far from perfect and this is not the best way to play, but that's life!
This ballot did raise an eyebrow for me too. FWIW I don't think we can assume that loveicekim is a generous rater. They may have felt they didn't have time to do a full ballot and just went favourite spotting on the ballot paper.

Judging on their ICM profile they mostly watch Korean movies, so that could be another reason for a short ballot, they voted mostly on the subset of very high quality Korean movies that were nominated.

I do think that for a more mainstream voter, that they're unlikely to choose 6 under the old system, "deserves to be in the TSPDT top 600" to quote from memory, because in their mind the best films are already in the TSPDT top 600.

There could be some merit in requiring people to curve fit their ballots, but I think people just wouldn't want to do that.
oOgiandujaOo

Post by oOgiandujaOo »

Final result for my own noms was:
Incorporated into DtC: The Small World of Sammy Lee (1963 - Ken Hughes) 3.73/11
Holdover: Consuming Spirits (2012 - Chris Sullivan) 4.14/7

My biggest regret was
Les bas-fonds / The Lower Depths (1936 - Jean Renoir) 3.50/24
I really love the hell out of that movie

My take home is not to give up on nominating, 2 of my all time favourites made the list this year, films that I had nominated 3 times before without success.

My long term project has been to get this movie in:
Club de femmes (1936 - Jacques Deval) 3.83/6
I've nominated it 4 times now starting with the result of 4.00/3 in 2017
If all I can do is get 1 more person to watch it every 2 years, I'll carry on anyway, the film is worth it.
oOgiandujaOo

Post by oOgiandujaOo »

Angel did a really good job, hampered by me continuously whining by me about all the arthouse short revotes falling of DtC like Autumn leaves. Sorry Angel!