SCFZ 6th Annual Top 100 Poll - Results!

FLABREZU

Re: SCFZ 6th Annual Top 100 Poll - Results!

Post by FLABREZU »

Overall, I'd say that some movies from my list made it onto the top 250, while others did not
wba

Post by wba »

Yeah, weird list!

I've seen 88/250, so a lot of "catching up" for me.

I believe none of my films made it onto the list? Correct me if I'm wrong. :D
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
wba

Post by wba »

Monsignor Arkadin wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:54 pm I feel like we should generate a follow up list, where everyone submits one film from their individual ballot that didn’t make the top 250.
I like this idea exclusively so that I can make an easy watchlist out of it.
Haha! You can pick any one of my 55 picks. ;)

EDIT: Ha! Some actually made it!!!
I voted for the numbers 152, 171, 176, 180, 183, 217 and 224. YAY!!! :cowboy:

So from the remaining 48 films from my list that didn't make it, you can take

Vulkan der hollischen Triebe (Peter Hauser, 1967)

for your poll, Monsignore Arkadin.
Last edited by wba on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
wba

Post by wba »

flip wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:21 pm all of the directors kanafani mentioned got a few votes each i think, though as greennui points out, they were spread among various films. i agree some are surprisingly absent from our top 250 though!

i haven't seen any fellini in a long time, but when i first started learning about world film, when i was so ignorant about it that i didn't realise how ignorant i was (now at least i have some awareness of the degree of my ignorance), i was under the impression, from whatever random things i'd been exposed to, that fellini, godard, bunuel, kubrick and bergman were something like the pillars of modernist cinema (following the more classical pillars hitchcock, renoir, kurosawa, rossellini and ford). that seems absurdly reductive and reductively absurd now, but i watched a lot of their films at the time, and i liked a lot of fellini (and disliked about an equal amount). 8 1/2 was one of the very first films i thought was brilliant, though i only felt that way the second time i saw it (the first time i couldn't make any sense of it). i haven't revisited any of his work in many years, and have no idea what i'd think of it now, though i wouldn't have any compunctions about voting for juliet of the spirits or ginger and fred in a poll.

reflecting on all that did make me wonder what other people thought when they first got into film - which directors people first thought were 'important', say, and how we arrive at those impressions. i'm guessing a lot of people getting into film these days are looking at canon-type lists (sight+sound, afi, tspdt) on sites like letterboxd.
Great question!

When I was young and getting into film and reading lots of books it was all about Fellini, Kubrick, Bergman, Hitchcock, Godard, Bunuel, Renoir, Rossellini, maybe Kurosawa as well. So those were like the things everyone wanted and tried to see (though I hated Bergman and some Fellini back then, was bored by Rossellini and disliked all my first 3 Kurosawas I saw [Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Yojimbo] :lol: :lol: :lol: ). I guess a lot has changed since then. And I still haven't seen more than 3 or 4 Fellini and Rossellini and not much Bergman either (whom I tend to enjoy nowadays and am not bothered much anymore by him being a sexist asshole).

Would also LOVE to know what the must-see filmmakers from the 20th century nowadays are for young cinephiles. Hopefully, because of the availability via sharing and internet and all, there are none anymore.
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

wba wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:03 amWould also LOVE to know what the must-see filmmakers from the 20th century nowadays are for young cinephiles.
tarantino... :)