CoMo No. 18: Lithuania (October, 2023)

niminy-piminy

Re: CoMo No. 18: Lithuania (October, 2023)

Post by niminy-piminy »

FEDIA. THREE MINUTES AFTER THE BIG BANG (Audrius Stonys, 1999) #CoMoLietuva
Fedia – man living in little yellow house next to Gariūnai marketplace.
To him life seems simple, completely transparent and without any hidden truths.
Cosmic problems are far away from him.

Next to him is world, where lives astrophysics manipulating with numbers, which are so big that do not have names.
These two worlds exist next to each other.
sally

Post by sally »

uku ukai - audrius stonys (2006) #CoMoLietuva

rewatched one of his more contemporary ones, make more movies stonys!

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

https://menoavilys.org/en/henrikas-gulbinas-video-art/

Although the abstract works of H. Gulbinas created by manual image generation today resemble psychedelic painting, according to the creator himself, these connections are foreign to him. The style of one of the early Lithuanian video art pioneers was not dictated by ideology or imagination, but by the video-making technologies of the 90s and the possibilities of expression they provide. The basis of H. Gulbinas’ first video art work “Unimagined Things” is the illuminated recordings of a functioning television, filmed by connecting the television signal to a video recorder and thus extracting the effect of image flow, and their editing. Later, the artist’s colourful abstractions diversified through lighting, glass, a stencil, and other means in the environment. Music has always been important in the creation process of “Unimagined Things”. According to H. Gulbinas: ‘I would imagine, visualize the things based on what I was listening to. This hobby provoked experimentation (…). After filming something, I put a musical background on the video and tried to find a synthesis between audio and video’. The technological principle of creating video compositions without a plot also determined the name. It was provoked by H. Gulbinas’ conversations with friends at that time: ‘Maybe someone said: ‘Oh, but you didn’t come up with these things yourself’ ‘Well, yes, yes, I didn’t’.
UNIMANIGABLE THINGS 1 / UNINVENTED THINGS 1 (Henrikas Gulbinas, 1988) #CoMoLietuva
JOURNEY WITHOUT SUITCASE / TRAVEL WITHOUT LUGGAGE (Henrikas Gulbinas, 1988) #CoMoLietuva
both ↑↑ stream → http://www.sinemateka.lt/en/video-art?modal=z99

UNIMANIGABLE THINGS 2 / UNINVENTED THINGS 2 (Henrikas Gulbinas, 1988) #CoMoLietuva
https://youtu.be/JAnLe2U8cj0?si=W9qmzHizhXJUW5Cj

UNIMANIGABLE THINGS 4 / UNINVENTED THINGS 4 (Henrikas Gulbinas, 1988) #CoMoLietuva
https://youtu.be/yk0pz53RBVo?si=_QyJYm7RGHO4ZXNM
sally

Post by sally »

adam wants to be a man - vytautas žalakevičius (1959) #CoMoLietuva

another in a series of impossible, ASTONISHING lithuanian movies.

this one isn't AI-generated, but is somehow aki kaurismäki and teuvo tulio directing a soviet silent film. unreal....

.....the dry ironic humour, slightly abstract stylised dialogue, the snappy vaguely surreal modernist visuals (triple exposures, deep focus, great compositions, the big soviet heads that jiri likes, unexpected actions in the background)

and just for fun i plugged the plot into an AI image generator and this is what it thinks the film looks like:

so apart from incredibly cute second guy, we learn that aside from being visually uncreative, AI is racist and thinks all lithuanians are alcoholics......

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

NO FOE CAN SCARE US (Edmundas Zubavičius, 1978) #CoMoLietuva
Film director Zubavičius observes exercises testing the citizen reaction to a potential nuclear attack by a "foreign enemy". The protagonists of the film from a small village in Samogitia region participate in civil defense practice and prepare for a competition. But despite regular exercise, no one seems to take the danger seriously.
can still vividly recall the farce of doing these moronic "drills" so cherished by paranoid Soviets — true Cold War folklore.
only, my juvenile skull was not measured (to determine the size of the suitable gas mask) in such a primitive way (as in the pic ↓) — local comrades used a more sophisticated tool left behind by nazi phrenologists (i guess).

TENDERNESS LIKE BREAD (Edmundas Zubavičius, 1979) #CoMoLietuva
sally

Post by sally »

aisčiai - juozas sabolius (1995) #CoMoLietuva

found a doc about lithuanian archaeology! :D

streaming: https://www.lrt.lt/mediateka/irasas/705 ... aisciai-en

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

we still haven't reached the last page of this thread...

TIME WALKS THROUGH THE CITY (Almantas Grikevičius, 1966) #CoMoLietuva

time walks through the city and horny Moses recalls his youth...
Unspoken amid all the film’s invocations of eternity is the connection between Vilnius and Rome, the “Eternal City”. Vilnius is nicknamed “Rome of the North” for its profusion of churches, its hilly landscape, and its historic conversion from paganism to Christianity. The architecture and sculptures displayed in Time Walks Through the City support the city’s link to Rome, and the horse, which has all the noble bearing of an ancient equestrian statue, clinches it.
What?
Rome of the North?
Moscow calling...
sally

Post by sally »

the spring - valdas navasaitis (1997) #CoMoLietuva

The film is a portraiture of an old farmer at work doing his daily chores in an area that is completely flooded. The situation is catastrophic, but for the man it is only one of the many floods he has experienced in his life.

sally

Post by sally »

venus with a cat - janina lapinskaitė (1997) #CoMoLietuva

streaming with eng subs: http://www.sinemateka.lt/en/documentary ... with-a-cat

another fine, mildly feminist, little doc about three aging artist's models, strange why there's so few of her films on letterboxd or imdb

sally

Post by sally »

the bus - laila pakalniņa (2004) #CoMoLietuva

The Tallin-Kaliningrad bus crosses three borders during one night: Estonian-Latvian, Latvian-Lithuanian and Lithuanian-Russian. Its passengers need four different currencies to pay for toilets or buy sandwiches during the journey. During the Soviet times there were no border guards on this route. Now, after the three Baltic States have joined the EU, history has turned again.

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

ANTHOLOGY OF THE PLOT (Artūras Jevdokimovas, 2015) #CoMoLietuva
This film is about a time gone forever. In 1995-1996, the cult café Suokalbis ('The Plot', 'The Conspiracy') in Vilnius was already losing its splendor, but still served as a gathering place for artists of all ages, known and unknown, students of all stripes and, of course, passing visitors.
stream (optional English subs) → https://www.cinematheque.fr/henri/film/ ... ovas-2015/

especially café Suokalbis’ dancefloor witnessed wonders...
sally

Post by sally »

wanderers of white time - rimvydas leipus (1993) #CoMoLietuva

another gorgeous little poetic doc

streaming: http://www.sinemateka.lt/en/documentary ... white-time

sally

Post by sally »

illusions - diana matuzevičienė, kornelijus matuzevičius (1993) #CoMoLietuva

hilariously bleak and gorgeous, streaming: http://www.sinemateka.lt/en/documentary#illusions

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

PETALS (Audrius Juzenas, 1990) #CoMoLietuva

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

JUNE, THE BEGINNING OF SUMMER (Raimondas Vabalas, 1969) #CoMoLietuva
In the heat of the accelerating summer, a Lithuanian provincial town shimmers near the river Nemunas.
Its inhabitants, as if trapped in the everyday life of the town, face an unchanging reality, anxious stagnation and unmeasured aspirations.
How to fully reveal yourself in this unreal world, what to choose when you are limited by an upbringing based on illusions and the secret knowledge that "nothing will change"?
June, the Beginning of Summer stands out with its unusual at the time modern and free narrative structure,
realistic acting,
open plot lines,
and fragmented dramaturgy, in which every element, every deliberately incomplete character forms a part of a coherent and connected picture.
The film was criticized by Moscow editors and critics for portraying the mood of decline.
Theatre in the film is an important element that renders the action universal.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

SCENES FROM ALLEN'S LAST THREE DAYS ON EARTH AS A SPIRIT (Jonas Mekas, 1997) #HalloweenCoMoLietuva
This is a video record of the Buddhist Wake ceremony at Allen Ginsberg's apartment. You see Allen, now asleep forever, in his bed; some of his close friends; and the wrapping up and removal of Allen's body from the apartment. You hear Jonas' description of his last conversation with Allen, three days earlier. You see the final farewell at the Buddhist temple, 118 West 22nd Street, New York City, and some of his close friends: Patti Smith, Gregory Corso, LeRoy Jones-Baraka, Hiro Yamagata, Anne Waldman, and many others.
Two stars go for the commentary on the last conversation that Jonas had with Allen Ginsberg. As for the rest, it's a reoccurring theme in Jonas Mekas' work that can be summed up as "I was there - Jonas Mekas". At times it felt a bit like an urban version of The Blair Witch Project, but where nothing happens. Erratic camerawork and quite tasteless choice of scenes for an event like this one.
excerpt ↓
https://youtu.be/m81gRj3ObNo?si=XXMGbK6U1oTRMPgt
Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

métaphore, mon cul wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:40 pm "I was there - Jonas Mekas"
Am I seeing some Mekas skepticism here? I once called one of his essays "You're Drunk, Jonas, Go Home: The Movie."
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

Lencho of the Apes wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:22 pm Am I seeing some Mekas skepticism here? I once called one of his essays "You're Drunk, Jonas, Go Home: The Movie."
i admit i wish he would not had given up on scissors
Natasha Kurchanova: Do you ever edit your films?

Jonas Mekas: From the 60s on, I have done only very minimal post-editing. I do almost all of my editing during the filming. My filming is like when one paints: all decisions of hand or brush movements are decided during the process of painting. Post-editing is a completely different kind of filming process. It’s a different process and a different result. For me, if I failed to get the essence of the moment during the filming, no amount of editing is going to get it. I just put the film on the shelf, and that’s the end of it.