Distinguishing b/w Soviet Russia and Soviet non-Russia

Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Distinguishing b/w Soviet Russia and Soviet non-Russia

Post by Curtis, baby »

How does one do it? A lot of films are listed as being produced by Russia and Belarus, or Russia and Azerbaijan, or Russia and Kyrgyzstan, etc. Is it by studio?

What about a film like Come and See? It's produced by Mosfilm but it takes place in Belarus SSR and and is in Belarusian and Russian.

What guidelines do you guys use for deciding if something is Russian or distinctly Soviet non-Russian?
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
Lencho of the Apes

Re: Distinguishing b/w Soviet Russia and Soviet non-Russia

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

Me, I consider everything that was produced in those territories before the Union (SSR) dissolved to be Soviet, although "Soviet (region)" may be a meaningful distinction to make in many cases. Anything (f.e.) Belorus-derived in the content or pedigree of a 1962 movie is still going to be Belarus-as-fitered-through-a-central-Sovietburo, so...
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Re: Distinguishing b/w Soviet Russia and Soviet non-Russia

Post by Curtis, baby »

Interesting. So even something like Ali Khamraev's works -- I believe he is considered a great "Uzbek" artist, as in specifically Uzbek and not just Soviet -- you consider Soviet and not Uzbek? Or that's an example of something that would be "Soviet (Uzbek)"?

For my 2019 project I'm splitting up Soviet Russia and Soviet non-Russia for different months. I suppose this isn't the biggest deal in the world, if I watch something Russianized from another SSR, although I am hoping to get a good idea of what the other parts of the Soviet Union had to offer. I know Georgia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, maybe some other ones, have pretty strong cinematic histories
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy