Documentaries seen in 2023

pabs

Documentaries seen in 2023

Post by pabs »

List the documentaries you saw in 2023.

Share a few of your thoughts if you can be bothered.
pabs

Re: Documentaries seen in 2023

Post by pabs »

updated below
Last edited by pabs on Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silga

Post by Silga »

pabs wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:48 am Flee (Rasmussen, 2021) 8/10

Great animated doco about the dramatic plight of one young man and his Syrian family, of his perilous journey to finally finding safety in Denmark, how his family became separated, and coping with the trauma of needing to keep secrets about his identity all along the way. And his finding love and comfort with someone he can trust.
I agree with you about this one. I had a pleasure of watching it on a big screen last year after being hesitant about the genre/form beforehand. It exceeded all expectations and delivered a captivating and thrilling story.
Silga

Post by Silga »

Lucy And Desi (Amy Poehler, 2022) 9 - I already wrote about it on my Directed by Actors challenge thread so I won't repeat myself, but it's a great film! Highly recommended!

Nothing Compares (Kathryn Ferguson, 2022) 8 - a very timely and necessary documentary that is more than just a dry bio-doc about Sinéad O'Connor. I particularly liked that it focused on the harsh environment O'Connor had endured in Ireland, how it portrayed a vile, misogynous Ireland of the time and how that, along with issues with her mom, led to a really hard childhood. And yet, Sinéad O'Connor managed to maintain her own humanity and love for people of all races, genders and identities. Even when it caused her a great distress and disruption of personal career. Always loved Sinéad O'Connor's music, but now I'm an even bigger fan.

Notre-Dame de Paris, les secrets des bâtisseurs (Emmanuel Blanchard, 2020) 8 - I visited Notre-Dame de Paris back in 2006 and it's been heartbreaking to see it all engulfed in flames a few years ago. This documentary gives an extensive and detailed look at the on-going efforts to restore this monumental building and, at the same time, learn more about its history.
pabs

Post by pabs »

Silga wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:05 pm
pabs wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:48 am Flee (Rasmussen, 2021) 8/10

Great animated doco...
I agree with you about this one. I had a pleasure of watching it on a big screen last year after being hesitant about the genre/form beforehand. It exceeded all expectations and delivered a captivating and thrilling story.
I was hesitant, too. Glad we both got over our reservations. It's a moving and important story - certainly one that needs to be told and known.

I had the O'Connor one in my queue already, so I might push a few others out of the way now to see it sooner.

The Desi one too has now been added to my watchlist.
Silga

Post by Silga »

The Last Dance (Jason Hehir, 2020) 9/10 - Exquisite docu-series. A real treat for me as a 90s kid. I don't follow much of NBA nowadays, but it made me feel nostalgic about NBA basketball of that era. A great time capsule of the 90s in general too.

F for Fake (Orson Welles, 1973) 8/10 - Great docudrama. Glad I saw it in cinema.

All the Beauty and the Bloodshed (Laura Poitras, 2022) 8/10 - Admittedly, I was kind of sceptical about this film as I don't share the same opinion on various topics with Laura Poitras. However, this artistic documentary just took me by surprise with its intense love for life and its struggles. I just appreciate the passion that was put in making this doc. Watched in cinema as well.

The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress (William Wyler, 1944) 7/10 - A well-made war documentary about a brave and daring mission to bomb German submarine port. More focussed on characterization of the titular bomber crew than I expected from 45 mins documentary.

Daft Punk Unchained (Hervé Martin-Delpierre, 2015) 7/10 - I love Daft Punk and while this TV documentary is light on any new info, it still managed to reinvigorate my admiration of this fantastic duo.

The Show Must Go On: The Queen + Adam Lambert Story (Christopher Bird, Simon Lupton, 2019) 6/10 - Less engaging but still a fun look at Queen and their story following the death of Freddie Mercury.
Last edited by Silga on Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pabs

Post by pabs »

Silga wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:20 pm The Last Dance (Jason Hehir, 2020) 9/10
I agree. A f---ing amazing documentary series. i laughed, and even cried sometimes - from the sheer elation of seeing these guys' skill and awesomeness! Superb!
rischka

Post by rischka »

i had fun watching this

https://youtu.be/Wx--WuTcL4E

also the unstable object (eisenberg 2011) it's like hutton's 3 landscapes about different kinds of labor

german automakers had some of the first factory robots

a US clock factory very traditional assembly line work (kill me)

to a foundry that makes cymbals somewhere in turkey, actual craftwork

there's no narration but it's very AMSR :P
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
rischka

Post by rischka »

El guardián de la memoria (arteaga 2019) is a harrowing look at cartel terror across border around ciudad juarez. some mexicans were even granted political asylum in the US (!) thx to a heroic el paso immigration lawyer. i wish the people hyped up to see all migrants as drug or human traffickers could watch this. the cartels control entire towns, the police ignore crimes like kidnapping and murder, and it's getting worse again. ciudad juarez is one of the most violent cities in the world. tijuana currently tops that list followed by acapulco. the top ten cities are all in latin america - the drug war zone. it's not too hard to imagine why people try to get the hell out of there. borders aren't real, they're just some lines on a map. stop treating everyone like criminals

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

comizi d'amore (pasolini 1964) charming doc in which pasolini travels all over italy eliciting people's opinions on sex

he's a great interviewer :D homosexuality is barely touched on as people were so scandalized

many people wouldn't talk much and some who did were censored (locker room talk) :(

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

delphine et carole, insoumuses (mcnulty 2019) delphine seyrig and carole roussopoulos say they bought the second video camera sold in paris (godard bought the first.) they used it to document the women's movement and related civil rights movements of the 70s

wonderful stuff ♥

ANTIFA 4-EVA

pabs

Post by pabs »

I've been very busy and also lazy about posting this year. But I've still seen some cracker docos!

I'll be back here to rank all of them soon.
rischka

Post by rischka »

ulrike ottinger's TAIGA is a perfect film imo

ANTIFA 4-EVA

pabs

Post by pabs »

rischka wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:05 am comizi d'amore (pasolini 1964) charming doc in which pasolini travels all over italy eliciting people's opinions on sex
How did I miss this comment and the caps??

Grabbing it now. The misogyny alone is unbelievable.
pabs

Post by pabs »

A very good year. All of them are first watches. Anything 8/10 or above I very highly recommended - I hope some of you get to see them too.

Theroux's docos are mostly dependably good, and sometimes very interesting.

The Last Dance
(Hehir, 2020)
10/10

Flee (Rasmussen, 2021) 8/10

Great animated doco about the dramatic plight of one young man and his Syrian family, of his perilous journey to finally finding safety in Denmark, how his family became separated, and coping with the trauma of needing to keep secrets about his identity all along the way. And his finding love and comfort with someone he can trust.

The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson (Temple, 2015) 8

How to Save a Dead Friend (Syroechkovskaya, 2022) 8

A tragic look at the despondent and rudderless ordinary youth in today's hopeless, dead-end, corrupted Russia. The misery of the Russian children of non-elites.

The Velvet Underground (Haynes, 2021). 8

Sing Your Song (Rostock, 2011) 8

The amazing life and career of Harry Belafonte and his contribution to the Civil Rights Movement in America in the 50s, 60s and beyond. Highly recommended

I Knew it was You: Rediscovering John Cazale (Shepard, 2009) 8

All the Beauty and the Bloodshed (Poitras, 2022) 8

Dusty Stacks of Mom: The poster project (Mack, 2013) 8

Of Time and the City (Davies, 2008) 8

Roadrunner: A film about Anthony Bourdain (Neville, 2021) 7.5

I really liked this, but it was really sad watching Bourdain transform into a pathetic, needy little sycophant to his girlfriend Asia Argento.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi (Gelb, 2012) 7.5

A tiny 15 seater sushi-bar in a Tokyo subway station was given the rare and exalted award of 3 stars by the world's illustrious food bible, the Michelin Guide. Jiro, the 80-something year old owner and chef is a man married to his job. People need to book five months ahead to get a seat, and the starting price is something like US$400 per person. One customer giggles when he admits being very nervous when Jiro hangs around watching his customers eat. Jiro tolerates no chit-chat in his joint once you're seated. Reminded me of the Soup Nazi in Seinfeld. Anyhow, we're told about Jiro's pretty tough life growing up. A single parent, he admits to not having been a good father to his two sons who also followed him by opening their own sushi-bars. His parents were hard on him and his own wife died young after suffering depression and alcoholism. He raised his sons alone but he had no time or inclination to show them any love or even to form emotional bonds with them.

^^ Two docs about chefs in the same month!

Terrence McNally - Every Act of Life (PBS American Masters) (Kaufman, 2019) 7.5
British Legends of Stage and Screen: Glenda Jackson (Fabian, 2012) 7.5
Ennio (Tornatore, 2021) 7.5

The Farthest (Reynolds, 2017). 7.5

About the Voyager 1 and 2 missions to the edge of the solar system and beyond, and their amazing flybys of the big gas planets. Both Voyager probes could one day meet with other intelligent life as they finally pass through other solar systems. It'll take about 40,000 earth years for it to reach the closest star, though. We might be extinct by then anyway, judging by the mess we're in already.

British Legends of Stage and Screen: Christopher Lee (Fabian, 2012) 7.5

Robin's Wish (Norwood, 2020) 7

I thought I knew why Robin Williams ended his life. Turns out I was fed a load of bull. This little film tells you the real reason. He was suffering from a brain disease. Interviews with his wife and neighbours in the close-knit little community he lived in on the coast of California.

The Banksy Interviews: Creating A Street Art Revolution - The Rise Of Outlaw Art (Various, 2022) 7

Horrible how rich investors commodified Banksy's democratic street art and turned it into trophies for the 0.1% money-hoarders.
The first half gets a bit tedious, but it improves to become very interesting after the 45 minute mark. Watched on youtube.

Louis Theroux: Talking to Anorexia (Wood, 2017) 7
Bjork - Inside Bjork (Walker, 2003) 7
Barry Humphries' Flashbacks (Various, 1999) 7
Louis Theroux: Altered States - Love without limits (Fellows, 2018) 7
Louis Theroux: Altered States - Take my baby (Pollitt, 2018) 7
Louis Theroux: My Scientology Movie (Dower, 2015) 7
Louis Theroux: Life on the Edge ep. 4 - Family Ties (Barrow, 2020) 7
Louis Theroux: Mothers on the Edge (Casebow, 2019) 7
Louis Theroux: America's Most Hated Family (O'Connor, 2007) 7
Raul Julia - The World's a Stage (PBS American Masters) (DeJesus, 2019). 7
Nicolas Roeg: It's About Time (Thompson, 2015) 7
Boom! Boom! The World vs. Boris Becker (Gibney, 2023) 7
Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie (Guggenheim, 2023) 7
Groucho & Cavett (Bader, 2022) 7
Signs of Vigorous Life: The New German Cinema (Adam, 1976) 7

Paula (BBC TV) (Russell, 2023) 7

Interesting look at the short, fun/tumultuous/joyful but ultimately tragic life of Paula Yates, a British tv presenter and punky/pop fashion icon. She was also the ex-wife/partner of Bob Geldof and Michael Hutchens.

Wham! (Smith, 2023) 7

Israel Versus Israel (Carlsson, 2010) 7

About left and right political groups in Israeli society.

McQueen (Bonhote, 2018) 7

Cockney/working class London lad's rise from zero to hero of the fashion world. Sad ending, of course.

Fassbinder (Hendel, 2015) 7

The Idiots Who Started the Party (?, 2020) 7

About the short-lived experiment that was Von Trier's Dogma film-movement.

Preston Sturges: The Rise and Fall of an American Dreamer (Bowser, 1990) 7
Ingmar Bergman at 60 UK TV arts magazine segment (Snell, 1978). 7
The Southbank Show: Werner Herzog UK TV (Bond, 1982). 7
What She Said: The Art of Pauline Kael (Garver, 2018) 7
Billy Wilder - The Human Comedy (Stuart, 1998) 7
Mike Nichols, an American Master (May, 2016) 7
Spielberg (Lacy, 2017) 7
British Legends of Stage and Screen: Derek Jacobi (Fabian, 2012) 7

In the Shadow of the Moon (Sington, 2007) 7

NASA's challenge to land the first men on the moon, and all the difficulties and dramas surrounding that, and during the missions themselves. Good interviews with the famous crews.

Senna (Kapadia, 2010) 6.5

^^ The first half of this was really excellent, but then it really went downhill.

British Legends of Stage and Screen: Michael Gambon (Fabian, 2012) 6.5
British Legends of Stage and Screen: Claire Bloom (Fabian, 2012) 6.5
British Legends of Stage and Screen: Michael York (Fabian, 2012) 6.5
British Legends of Stage and Screen: Diana Rigg (Fabian, 2012) 6.5

When You're Strange (DiCillo, 2009) 6 an ok doco about The Doors
The Human Behavior Experiments (Gibney, 2006) 6
George Michael - Outed (BBC TV) (Ogden, 2023) 6
Tom Stoppard - A Charmed life (Nicholls, 2021) 6
John Ford/John Wayne: The Filmmaker and the Legend (Pollard, 2006) 6
Oliver Reed - BBC Living Famously (?, 2002) 6

Between Us (Proba, 2020) 5.5
Louis Theroux: Gambling in Las Vegas (Cabb, 2007) 5.5

Blind Ambition (Ross, Coe, 2020) 5

A group of Zimbabwean refugees that live in South Africa and work as someliers in restaurants decide to enter the world's most famous international wine-tasting competition in France. A bit of a run of the mill/paint by numbers doco, I wasn't really taken by this one. I was more interested in finding out about their lives as refugees, but it didn't go there at all.

Mel Brooks and Dick Cavett Together Again (?, 2011) 5
Last edited by pabs on Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
pabs

Post by pabs »

Silga wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:20 pm All the Beauty and the Bloodshed (Laura Poitras, 2022) 8/10 - Admittedly, I was kind of sceptical about this film as I don't share the same opinion on various topics with Laura Poitras. However, this artistic documentary just took me by surprise with its intense love for life and its struggles. I just appreciate the passion that was put in making this doc. Watched in cinema as well.
Thanks Silga. I watched this one on your recommendation here, and I wasn't disappointed. Excellent film!

I'll watch rischka's selections next year if I don't forget.
cinesmith

Post by cinesmith »