1937 Poll 2.0

sally

Re: 1937 Poll 2.0

Post by sally »

ah, so ruiz opens the doorway to all sorts....

françois 1er - christian-jaque
rischka

Post by rischka »

the horse funeral :(
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
rischka

Post by rischka »

did that dekeukeleire have subs? i see it on vimeo. is there talking

ANTIFA 4-EVA

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Somehow The Evil Eye was never on my radar... Need to see it now!

I have found subs.
sally

Post by sally »

rischka wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:04 am did that dekeukeleire have subs? i see it on vimeo. is there talking
yeah it's on vimeo....but no subs. there's a version on kg with subs but it's really shitty quality compared to the vimeo one. subs for that are totally out of sync with vimeo tho so just sort of tiled vimeo and kg subs and watched, read and scrolled as appropriate. not ideal way to watch but there's not a great deal of dialogue so it wasn't too bad

https://vimeo.com/214181082
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

There are subs made for the Vimeo file as well.
Last edited by St. Gloede on Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
sally

Post by sally »

ah, i'm not on kg so couldn't scroll anywhere, i just have to beg from other people....
rischka

Post by rischka »

yeah i've got those subs but how to synch to vimeo? perhaps i'll just read them before hand. or pause a lot :D

very young anthony quinn 8-)

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

DUDE - i figured it out. convert srt to txt file and sent to my phone. now i can follow along while it plays on the tv. YESSSSSSSSSSSS

It's like ethnographic horror 😍

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

thank you very much SALLY for two of the best films i've seen this year in the last week ♥♥♥

i love folk horror, it's like mankind's elemental nature is abject terror. explains every religion. this was so creepy

ANTIFA 4-EVA

sally

Post by sally »

yw!

the value of social media sites, huh? ;)

(although i can't find anything written about the ulmer anywhere really, apart from specifically jewish sites and brief mentions)
sally

Post by sally »

fant / gypsy - tancred ibsen

i guess the jaunty scallywag tone actually makes this darker. watched it through my fingers after the rape, dreading that she would fall in love with her rapist as per millions of other movies, but i've never been so glad to see someone die :)

Angel

Post by Angel »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
sally

Post by sally »

pensionat paradiset - weyler hildebrand

saw this on angel's wanted list, can't share it as it was on netflix, but seeing as all the swedish stuff is leaving netflix by the end of december thought i should at least watch it

one of those silly comedies with crossdressing and swedish summer lakes

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Included The Evil Eye on my list, and thank you so much for the shout-out for this one, has to be one of the big unsung arthouse classics of the 30s, a decade with quite few to choose from so always exciting to find one. Charles Dekeukeleire already made one of my favourite features, Histoire de détective (1929), and it was wonderful to see him actually take his rather unique visual style into the sound era without really making any compromises - well, with the exception of some audio components, as it is often clear audio is not exactly natural - though this is not a big negative in a film as dreamlike-lyrical as this.

My one dislike was adding the full synopsis, spoilers and all, to the beginning of a film - not sure if this was a decision made at the time to explain the film to audiences who may have found it difficult to follow, or added since for similar reasons - not knowing the story may have made it feel more "natural" in terms of progression, but the film still fires on all cylinders. Yes, it can come across as a little rough around the edges, but it brushes this away by just having fun with itself, complete with a large set of comical setups and re-enactments as the villagers spin yarns and tweak the truth about this "magical invader". Frequently extreme in its compositions, and more evocative than narrative, especially in its emotional climax, co-driven by the marvelous effects created by Jean Painlevé.

The power-pairing of Dekeukeleire and Painlevé makes this a must-see in itself!

(and I really hope more films by Dekeukeleire makes it to the surface as I can see he made quite a few films that are simply not available, including additional features)
sally

Post by sally »

St. Gloede wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:23 pm co-driven by the marvelous effects created by Jean Painlevé.

The power-pairing of Dekeukeleire and Painlevé makes this a must-see in itself!
glad you enjoyed it but aaaaargh, how many times on this forum do i have to keep yelling about j c mol??? not sure what painleve contributed to the evil eye but mol's contribution is UNMISTAKABLE

https://youtu.be/imzp1jc_xjU
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Mainly excluded Mol as I have never heard the name before, many of the effects are quite like Painlevé. Is this a director with many works available. Can't find a J.C. Mol, but C.G. Mol is credited on IMDb, with this sole listing: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0995846/

Uit het rijk der kristallen is a film I can not find any record of beyond this youtube video, but will give it a viewing.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Finished Uit het rijk der kristallen, absolutely wonderful effects. I can certainly see his impact on the film.
sally

Post by sally »

St. Gloede wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:23 pm Mainly excluded Mol as I have never heard the name before
i already yelled at rischka about the same thing :D cuz i seem to mention him on here a lot. but anyway he's not the greatest filmmaker that ever lived but he was quite innovative and for me, in his absence from film history, he's representative not only of himself, but of all the early pioneers that are forgotten because they don't appear on imdb, largely i guess because they didn't make 'art' films and enthusiastically tended towards the scientific, and commercial aspects of film

i guess he started about the same time as painleve, or maybe a bit earlier...and i was intrigued to see them mentioned together, so maybe there was an international network that we hardly know about

but the most interesting fact i learnt about mol last year was that being dutch, he went over to indonesia to make films, then the war broke out and japan occupied indonesia, put him in a camp and forced him to make films with japanese film units, whereby he taught the japanese guys lots of new techniques which they took back to japan and started circulating there (which is why i called him the unwilling godfather of japanese documentary) although i have only managed to track down one film of one of the japanese filmmakers that he taught, but you can definitely see the influence....

anyway, some basic info: https://filmdatabase.eyefilm.nl/en/coll ... son/jc-mol

more of his films held by EYE:
https://www.youtube.com/@eyefilmNL/sear ... 20c.%20mol

the most indepth article i managed to find:
https://academic.oup.com/screen/article ... 73/1669754

In this article, the example of the Dutch science filmmaker Jan Cornelis Mol (1891-1954) offers the point of departure for a general reflection on the history of experimental cinema and the meanings of aesthetic experience and imagination in documentary representation, film theories, and the avant-garde manifestos of the 1920s. Mol's films illuminate the fascination with space-time abstraction and visualised rhythm that unifies the practice of science film and avant-garde cinema in that era. Mol's work in the 1920s—films classified as amateur, science, educational, industrial, and avant-garde—is a remarkably broad representation of the multiple facets of experimental cinema.

and the talk where i learnt about his japanese internment:
https://youtu.be/15rBvmYgsIY
sally

Post by sally »

znachor / the quack - michał waszyński

i knew i'd seen this guy crop up in my feed fairly often 💔

https://twitter.com/AuschwitzMuseum/sta ... 3996290048
rischka

Post by rischka »

i watched james whale's the road back in horrible condition on youtube. it's a sequel to all quiet on the western front. i respect what it's doing around ptsd and the futility of war. but it's not really working. the tone is odd and the acting is bad. how did whale make the great garrick and this in the same year? i never really appreciated cowboy andy devine before but he stole the film from the leads. it clearly meant a lot to whale but he can't pull a lubitsch here. what power it has is in the script and delivered badly

ok according to punq warner had the nazi elements toned down so as not to affect the international box office. of course. sry james whale and erich maria remarque

ANTIFA 4-EVA

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

sally wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:21 am anyway, some basic info: https://filmdatabase.eyefilm.nl/en/coll ... son/jc-mol

more of his films held by EYE:
https://www.youtube.com/@eyefilmNL/sear ... 20c.%20mol

the most indepth article i managed to find:
https://academic.oup.com/screen/article ... 73/1669754

and the talk where i learnt about his japanese internment:
https://youtu.be/15rBvmYgsIY
Thank you for the resources, will give these a look.
rischka

Post by rischka »

i'm watching snow white and the seven dwarves released this week in 1937 walt disney's first full length feature

scanned from 35mm for those who feel the disney dvds are too clean. and i must say it's beautiful. and has a commentary track by walt himself, cobbled from interivews

he rightly claims snow white did far better box office than gone with the wind where people paid 2.50 for tickets! kids only paid 15 cents

Last edited by rischka on Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

austrian backstage musical mystery Premiere directed by géza von bolváry w swedish star zarah leander. it's not exactly busby berkeley

ANTIFA 4-EVA

wba

Post by wba »

rischka wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:24 pm
austrian backstage musical mystery Premiere directed by géza von bolváry w swedish star zarah leander. it's not exactly busby berkeley
Yeah, I thought this one was a bit flat, and by far the least interesting film I've seen with Zarah Leander (whom I adore!).
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

What a treat Music for Madame was! Presented this month by Leonard Maltin on TCM, and I wasn't expecting much. But I loved it. It's a rom-com vehicle for forgotten opera star Nino Martini, with charming romantic musical scenes and fun comic business for lots of favourite bit players. Has that '30s grace. Fans of Deanna Durbin might enjoy. It'll make my list and pretty high up on it too.

Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

Artists And Models (Walsh, but I don't know if it matters) goes to some very strange places; Ben Blue's sidekick-to-a-sidekick performance is so peculiarly pitched he reminded me of the Night Manager from Touch Of Evil. Recommended for Evelyn, not altogether sure about anyone else.
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
rischka

Post by rischka »

wba wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:48 pm
rischka wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:24 pm
Yeah, I thought this one was a bit flat, and by far the least interesting film I've seen with Zarah Leander (whom I adore!).
indeed she's much better as the tragic heroine of sierck's... australian...western? zu neuen ufern

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

they won't forget (mervyn leroy)

this is 9/10s a film noir w it's cynical attitudes and quite topical w talk of war between the states. and it's highly entertaining if you enjoy claude rains. the problem here is, THEY DID FORGET - the case is based on leo frank - a jewish man. racism is never mentioned as no one wants to offend a large part of the population. so there's that :?

ANTIFA 4-EVA

ofrene

Post by ofrene »

Angel
Children in the Wind
Humanity and Paper Balloons
Make Way for Tomorrow

History Is Made at Night
Stella Dallas