CoMo No. 7: Finland (November, 2022)

wba

Re: CoMo No. 7: Finland (November, 2022)

Post by wba »

sally wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:42 pm sotapolulla / on the warpath - teuvo pakkala (1922) #CoMoFinland

i don't know what the fuck was going on, there's no subtitles, and it must be missing footage or some out of sync, otherwise it's some jaunty tale of madcap semi-retarded little girl falling for and helping paedophile guerrilla civil war leader, whose adult woman shoots herself for him in front of his eyes, liberally interspersed with serious piles of war dead.

and no ass.

I enjoyed this immensly watching it last year (I gave it 4 and a half out of 5 stars on leterboxd). It can be watched with English subs here: https://elonet.finna.fi/Record/kavi.elo ... uva_117253
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
wba

Post by wba »

I didn't know it's Finnish movie month here on SCFZ, but by chance I'm currently watching a film with Teuvo Tulio in the lead (I'm also watching an East German movie, a West German 4+ hour film on Anna Seghers novel Transit and LE DEPART by Skolimowski at the same time...). I don't recommend the Finnish film (so far - half in at the moment) but Teuvo Tulio is smoking hot. I was very much into him ever since the first frame he appeared in. :lol: Can't get enough of him on screen!!! :hearteyes:
Didn't know it was Tulio, though and only found out after I checked the net because I absolutely needed to know who had such a screen magnetism. Color me surprised when I read that name... :shock:
Last edited by wba on Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

LOVE IS A TREASURE (Eija-Liisa Ahtila, 2002) #CoMoFinland
In the first episode a woman has withdrawn under her bed, it being the only safe place in the room when the killers come in from the corridor.
In the second story a teenage girl becomes an assistant to the UFOs that control aural hygiene on Earth.
In the third episode a woman crawls across a bridge, since remembered images from the past events are threatening her balance.
In the fourth part anger takes the form of a wind and rages through a woman’s apartment.
In the final episode a woman hears sounds from other places in her own house. By blacking out the windows with cloths she shuts out all images so as to be able to be in the space where the sounds are.
The episodes are based on research and interviews, but the stories and dialogue are fiction, combinations of different elements.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

THE VILLAGE SHOEMAKERS (Valentin Vaala, 1957) #CoMoFinland
The film... is already the third (Erkki Karu, 1923; Wilho Ilmari, 1938) film adaptation of the play by Aleksis Kivi.
Finnish author Aleksis Kivi was the first one to write the first significant novel in the Finnish language, Seven Brothers in 1870. Sadly he died couple of years later in poverty and the importance of his writings was understood only later. The Village Shoemakers is based on his play Heath Cobblers written in 1864 and is regarded as one of the most popular plays in Finland.
wba

Post by wba »

Finnish author Aleksis Kivi was the first one to write the first significant novel in the Finnish language, Seven Brothers in 1870.
I purchased this novel by chance two days ago in a German translation from a Swiss publishing house (in an edition from 1950). :D
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

wba wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:13 pm
Finnish author Aleksis Kivi was the first one to write the first significant novel in the Finnish language, Seven Brothers in 1870.
I purchased this novel by chance two days ago in a German translation from a Swiss publishing house (in an edition from 1950). :D
you can participate in the "Country of the Month" even by reading the related books :)
wba

Post by wba »

shin shin wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:12 pm
wba wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:13 pm
you can participate in the "Country of the Month" even by reading the related books :)
I'll have to pass, as I've currently some 15 other books which I rented from the library lying around, staring at me ominously and whispering to me to read them (and better soon!). The one I chose for today is a Romanian novel by Mircea Eliade from 1931, aptly (but wrongly) titled "The Obsessed Librarian". :D :D :D

But I'll try and finish my Finnish film with Teuvo Tulio in the next 7 days. You can also watch it here, if you wish (as I've seen you've already seen quite a number of films by Valentin Vaala): https://elonet.finna.fi/Record/kavi.elo ... uva_117486
sally

Post by sally »

wba wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:20 pm
sally wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:42 pm sotapolulla / on the warpath - teuvo pakkala (1922) #CoMoFinland
I enjoyed this immensly watching it last year (I gave it 4 and a half out of 5 stars on leterboxd). It can be watched with English subs here: https://elonet.finna.fi/Record/kavi.elo ... uva_117253
but that's where i watched it! & i swear there were no subs! (omg i must be going senile)
sally

Post by sally »

anyway, thank you youtube algorithm, perfect, oulo & ass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2WS-G5j23w
rischka

Post by rischka »

10 mins in, already seen tulio's butt :lol: thx wba!
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
wba

Post by wba »

rischka wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:41 pm Image

He's sooooooo hot! :hearteyes:
wba

Post by wba »

sally wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:17 pm
but that's where i watched it! & i swear there were no subs! (omg i must be going senile)
But there are English subs!
You have to select them, of course. :P
wba

Post by wba »

wba wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:54 pm
sally wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:17 pm
But there are English subs!
You have to select them, of course. :P
WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?
There seem to be none any more...
I swear they were there when I posted that link four days ago!!!
And they were also there when I watched the film at the site one and a half years ago....
wba

Post by wba »

Now I see what the problem seems to be: you have to choose the ENlish language option MANUALLY for the site (on the top on the right).
Otherwise: no subs...
Seems like a bug.

https://elonet.finna.fi/Record/kavi.elo ... ?lng=en-gb
Last edited by wba on Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

wba wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:54 pm
rischka wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:41 pm Image

He's sooooooo hot! :hearteyes:
i see, i see, i see...
rischka

Post by rischka »

this art deco palace too

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

vintage scandanavian design. that was fun

ANTIFA 4-EVA

sally

Post by sally »

cha cha cha - mika kaurismäki (1989) #CoMoFinland

had to get one matti in at least...

sally

Post by sally »

wba wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:59 pm Now I see what the problem seems to be: you have to choose the ENlish language option MANUALLY for the site (on the top on the right).
Seems like a bug.

aaaaah.....thanks! good to know for future...
wba

Post by wba »

sally wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:29 pm
wba wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:59 pm Now I see what the problem seems to be: you have to choose the ENlish language option MANUALLY for the site (on the top on the right).
Seems like a bug.

aaaaah.....thanks! good to know for future...
yes - it's so weird!
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

ROUTEMASTER: THEATRE OF THE MOTOR (Ilppo Pohjola, 2000) #CoMoFinland
Gradually it dissolves into a speed-blurred landscape of over 2000 tiny frames which fill the screen simultaneously, creating an effect that resembles a pulsating Cubist painting.
greennui

Post by greennui »

Scarlet Week (Matti Kassila, 1954) - Some nudity but no naked bums.

greennui

Post by greennui »

rischka wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:22 pm Image

vintage scandanavian design. that was fun
If you want some more fun you should watch Sensuela.
rischka

Post by rischka »

ok i have somehow avoided that one but i will watch it. for finland!!

ANTIFA 4-EVA

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

The Punched Tape of Life (Erkki Kurenniemi, 1964, 8m) #CoMoFinland
Flora and Fauna (Erkki Kurenniemi, 1965, 6m) #CoMoFinland
Computer Music (Erkki Kurenniemi, 1966, 6m) #CoMoFinland
Electronics in the World of Tomorrow (Erkki Kurenniemi, 1964, 5m) #CoMoFinland
Carnaby Street (Erkki Kurenniemi, 1968, 4m) #CoMoFinland
Florence (Erkki Kurenniemi, 1970, 9m) #CoMoFinland
https://ubu.com/film/kur.html
An incorrigible techno buff, Kurenniemi would occasionally also get ‘good vibes’ from nature mysticism.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

CONSOLATION SERVICE (Eija-Liisa Ahtila, 2000) #CoMoFinland
Ruf ruf!
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

its so great. i should watch some kaurismanoir as well

FINLAND: i watched "GIRL PICTURE" (2022) which is a stupid english non-translation title of da movie. its called "FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY" (much better). coming-of-age finnish movie with queerness, but not "queer coming-of-age" per se - i mean this as a compliment. movies abt queer ppl dont need to be Queer Stories specifically all the time, they can be Stories abt queer ppl. its nice to see that, its just a movie, theres no airs of tokenism or Social Issue Tackling. i liked it a lot. really great. wonderful performances. makes me wonder more if im on the ace spectrum (been wondering this a lot lately)
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

***actually the finnish title is called "GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS", still much better than "GIRL PICTURE"
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy

Post by ... »

Yeah, but Elvis beat them to that title with Girls! Girls! Girls!, so they probably didn't want to confuse the Presley fans, which sadly knocked the option of Clambake out of title contention as well.