1921 Poll 2.0

niminy-piminy

Re: 1921 Poll 2.0

Post by niminy-piminy »

today, reading the local crime reports gives me again a flashback of the past "incident" (described above)...
when we were already a few steps behind their backs, they finally started to sniff some crime and called at us, "hey boys, wait a minute!"
i was still convinced they have no clue i carry on my shoulder two big plants of marijuana.
my first thought was they suspect me of committing some act of vandalism in the nearby castle garden (later to become unesco heritage site).
so, i shouted back (without stopping to walk), "it's okay, it's just a weed."
i mean, i said in Czech "plevel" which means "weed" but the Czech word "plevel" is not synonymous of marijuana (as in Egnlish) — i was not that stupid to tell them it is THE "weed".
i was convinced i am calming them down by assuring them i didn't rip off any valuable plants in the castle garden.
carrying once on my shoulder nearly two meters long plants while encountering the cops, i can perfectly understand what the guy felt and what the cops (most likely) thought...
An unusual transport of wood was on display in Edvard Beneš Street in Pilsen.
The cyclist was transporting a five-meter long trunk
He planned to make the bed

A rather incredible spectacle faced the municipal police in Pilsen on Tuesday morning.
In Edvard Beneš Street, the Bory district, a cyclist was riding on the sidewalk, pulling behind a spruce trunk about five meters long.
He tied it to the bike's carrier and provided it with wheels at the back.

"The patrol stopped the man and found out that it was a felled wood that lay in Borský Park," said Jana Puzmanova, a spokeswoman for the Pilsen municipal police. Thus indicating it was a stolen wood.
"He wanted to use the trunk to make the bed," she added.

"People usually don't steal felled trees in Pilsen's parks," Petr Kutak, who is in charge of caring for trees at the municipal department of urban greenery, told the press.
"We have certainly never encountered such a bizarre mode of transportation," he added.
According to him, the man took a piece of wood that lay in the park.
At first, he probably had to cut branches on it.
"The officers fined the man on the spot," Puzmanová said.
"However, he is still obliged to come to the municipality and pay moreover the price of wood," Kutak added.
Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

Everybody should drop everything and go immediately to watch What Do Men Want by Lois Weber. Devastating Betty Friedan stuff, 40 years earlier.
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
rischka

Post by rischka »

you got my attention :lol:
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
sally

Post by sally »

also bad! maybe i need a little movie break

le ultime avventure di galaor - mario restivo

one of those maciste knock-offs where saint muscle-man charges about alternatively lifting & hitting stuff, meh

Post by ... »

Meant to watch some '21s, but nice weather and silents are a tough fit for me. Winter is my silent era. So I'll just do a top ten since I do have some favorites from the year.

The Wildcat
Fièvre
Never Weaken
Seven Years Bad Luck
La Terre

Orphans of the Storm
The Phantom Carriage
Destiny
Miss Lulu Bett
The Affairs of Anatol
rischka

Post by rischka »

WHAT DO MEN WANT?? left me hanging lol

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

altho it helped to imagine my grandma at every wild party in 20s new york

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Lencho of the Apes

Aw, shucks... Sorry, then.

I still feel bad about those Georgian peasants rotting in the ass bath.
rischka

Post by rischka »

nah it was cool. wish we had the whole film. very few unwed mothers portrayed so vivdly in american cinema

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

i was terrified for her

ANTIFA 4-EVA

sally

Post by sally »

dunno if i'm overinterpreting it, but was feuillade referencing those early days 'magically moving furniture' films?

Lencho of the Apes

I assumed it was that... just the same way Gance reffed Melies-stuff in Au Secours.
sally

Post by sally »

oh good point. but gance was an up and comer...i'm too bad at google, but i wonder what the perception of feuillade was in 21....was he still a grand master or just an out of date fogey? i do like his humour tho, even if gustave was far too long

anyway, last one of 21 for me (meant to watch tons more but i'm not really responding to fiction right now, and of course there was poland)

bolla di sapone - charles krauss

cheers to greennui for this six part serial - 1st half was sponsored by Scenic-Destinations-R-Us and seemed to involve two young women going hellcat at each other over some guy old enough to be their grandfather, even if he did do nice evening wear:

2nd half i very rapidly lost any idea of what was going on or who any of the people were and was getting pretty fed up with it, UNTIL i realized it was an extended abstract dance routine on the theme of capture & escape. and suddenly it was beautiful, sublime, a masterpiece....

sally

Post by sally »

but okay, final ballot for 1921:

1. slavnost odhalení pomníku českých bratří na růžovém paloučku a j. a. komenského v litomyšli, 1921
karl

Post by karl »

The Phantom Carriage

The Kid
Johann
Destiny
The Wildcat
Shattered
Growth of the Soil
Backstairs
Seven Years Bad Luck
The Playhouse
The Conquering Power
Be My Wife
Le Chemin d’Ernoa
Fever (Delluc)
Gustave est médium
Love and Burglers

The Idle Class
There is no tyrant like a thoroughpaced reformer. I drink to his own reformation. - Mr. MacBorrowdale, Gryll Grange
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

The High Sign (Edward F. Cline, Buster Keaton)
The Wildcat (Ernst Lubitsch)
A Daughter of the Law (Grace Cunard)

The Goat (Buster Keaton, Malcolm St. Clair)
The Blot (Lois Weber)
Fièvre (Louis Delluc)

The Whistle (Lambert Hillyer)
The Rugged Road to Learning (John Waugh)
Visby (AB Kinocentralen)

Lyman H. Howe’s Famous Ride on a Runaway Train (Lyman H. Howe)
I Do (Hal Roach)
Be My Wife (Max Linder)
Evelyn Library P.I.

Reminder that this poll closes (roughly) tonight. If you want to get a ballot in—or expand your ballot from just 1 movie :D — now's the time!
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

https://www.kinometer.com/?list=432

Ceremony Unveiling of the Memorial of the Czech Brethren on the Pink Meadow and J. A. Komenský Memorial in the Town of Litomyšl (Unknown)
The Soul of the Cypress (Dudley Murphy)
The Crucified (Boris Orlický)
The Shaft of Burried Ideas (Antonín Ludvík Havel, Rudolf Myzet)
Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend: Bug Vaudeville (Winsor McCay)
Eclipse of the Sun 8 April 1921 (Willy Mullens)
Opus I (Walter Ruttmann)
Opus II (Walter Ruttmann)
Manhatta (Paul Strand, Charles Sheeler)

Visby (Unknown)
A Fishing Day in Dobříš (Unknown)
*Gypsies (Karl Anton)
The Arrival from the Darkness (Jan S. Kolár)
Rapids of Life (Mauritz Stiller)
Wally of the Vultures (Ewald André Dupont)
The Phantom Carriage (Victor Sjöström)
The Centaurs (Winsor McCay)
Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend: The Flying House (Winsor McCay)
The Haunted Castle (F.W. Murnau)

------------------
*Gypsies premiered in 1922 (the production year 1921) but i am still gonna list it for 1921 (being complicit with the main local databases).
lineuphere

Post by lineuphere »

The Phantom Carriage (Victor Sjöström)
Manhatta (Charles Sheeler/Paul Strand)
La terre (André Antoine)
The 'High Sign' (Buster Keaton/Edward Cline)

The Goat (Buster Keaton/Malcolm St Clair)
Scherben | Shattered (Lupu Pick)
Invisible Ink (Dave Fleischer)
Im Kampf mit dem Berge (Arnold Fanck)

The Kid (Charlie Chaplin)
Hard Luck (Buster Keaton, Edward F. Cline)
Little Lord Fauntleroy (Alfred E. Green, Jack Pickford)

Hamlet (Svend Gade & Heinz Schall)
The Boat (Buster Keaton, Edward F. Cline)
Seven Years Bad Luck (Max Linder)
Eldorado (Marcel L'Herbier)

The Play House (Buster Keaton/Edward Cline)
Destiny (Fritz Lang)
Johan (Mauritz Stiller)
Never Weaken (Fred C. Newmeyer)
ororama

Post by ororama »

1. The Kid (Charlie Chaplin)
2. Seven Years Bad Luck (Max Linder)
3. Der Müde Tod (Fritz Lang)
4. The “High Sign” (Edward F. Cline, Buster Keaton)
5. The Goat (Buster Keaton, Malcolm St Clair)
6. The Three Musketeers (Fred Niblo)
7. The Phantom Carriage (Victor Sjöström)
8. The Nut (Theodore Reed)
9. Be My Wife (Max Linder)
10. The Boat (Edward F. Cline, Buster Keaton)
11. Never Weaken (Fred C. Newmeyer)
12. Schloß Vogelöd (F.W. Murnau)
13. Tol'able David (Henry King)
14. Invisible Ink (Dave Fleischer)
15. Among Those Present (Fred C. Newmeyer)
16. Manhatta (Charles Sheeler, Paul Strand)
17. Four Around the Woman (Fritz Lang)
18. A Sailor-Made Man (Fred C. Newmeyer)
19. The Haunted House (Edward F. Cline, Buster Keaton)
20. The Star of Bethlehem (Lotte Reiniger)
Lencho of the Apes

El Dorado -L'Herbier
Invisible Ink - Fleischer
The Phantom Carriage - Stiller
Scherben/Shattered - Lupu Pick
What Do Men Want - Weber

Fievre - Delluc
Die Geierwally
I Figli Di Nessuno
Miss Lulu Bett
Tolable David

Be My Wife - Linder
Camille - Ray C Smallwood
Johan - Stiller
The Kid - Chaplin
The Three Musketeers - Niblo

The Conquering Power - Ingram
The Four Horsemen f The Apocalypse - Ingram
Orphans Of The Storm - Griffith
The Playhouse - Keaton
Quatre-Vingt-Treize
sally

Post by sally »

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:19 pm Reminder that this poll closes (roughly) tonight. If you want to get a ballot in—or expand your ballot from just 1 movie :D — now's the time!

i'm okay with my symbolic ballot for the infinitely expanding movie :D (pretty sure if we locked jiri up in say, the doorless room of the golem in meyrink's novel, and demanded more unveilings we'd discover that this little 23 min film contained the entire universe, and probably a lot else)
Evelyn Library P.I.

Results!

Number of ballots: 13. Number of films voted for: 74.

And the winner is ... The Wildcat!

Full results below.

1 The Wildcat (Ernst Lubitsch) / 34.5
2 The Phantom Carriage (Victor Sjöström) / 31.5
3 The Kid (Charlie Chaplin) / 25.5
4 Seven Years Bad Luck (Max Linder) / 23
5 The High Sign (Buster Keaton) / 21.5
6 Destiny (Fritz Lang) / 18
7 The Goat (Buster Keaton) / 17.5
8 Manhatta (Charles Sheeler, Paul Strand) / 16
9 Invisible Ink (Dave Fleischer) / 15.5
10 El Dorado (Marcel L'Herbier) / 14.5
— Shattered (Lupu Pick) /14.5

12 Fievre / 14
13 Be My Wife / 13
— Never Weaken / 13
15 La terre / 12
16 Hamlet / 10
— Soul of the Cypress / 10
18 Orphans of the Storm / 9.5
— Tol'able David / 9.5
20 The Play House / 8.5

21 L'Atlantide / 8
— The Boat / 8
23 Visby / 7.5
24 Ceremony Unveiling of the Memorial of the Czech Brethren on the Pink Meadow and J. A. Komenský Memorial in the Town of Litomyšl / 7
— Opus I / 7
— Opus II / 7
27 Johan / 6.5
28 Camille / 5.5
— Miss Lulu Bett / 5.5
— The Three Musketeers / 5.5

31 Im kampf mit dem Berge / 5
— The Haunted Castle / 5
— The Haunted House / 5
34 A Daughter of the Law / 4.5
— Lyman H. Howe's Famous Ride on a Runaway Train / 4.5
— The Conquering Power / 4.5
— The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse / 4.5
— What Do Men Want / 4.5
39 Dreams of a Rarebit Fiend: Bug Vaudeville / 4
— Eclipse of the Sun 8 April 1921 / 4
— The Crucified / 4
— The Shaft of Buried Ideas / 4
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

SCFZ 1921 year poll 2.0 (May 2022) top 42

ranked → https://www.kinometer.com/?list=441&jir ... &view=list
random order → https://www.kinometer.com/?list=441
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

CEREMONY UNVEILING... 13/

the poll is over but i carry on...

in the following 3 shots (viz below), the 24th most popular film of the year 1921 shows the birth spot of Bedřich Smetana
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed%C5%99ich_Smetana

Bedřich Smetana is the most renowned syphilitic ever born not only in Litomyšl but in the whole of Bohemia.
he is fondly remembered by all the Bohemians because when he became completely deaf (due to progressive syphilis) he was still able to compose charming tunes.
he was born in 1824 (yes, within 2 years, the 200th anniversary gonna be celebrated and there is a good hope something remarkable gonna be unveiled and shot on film), in the castle brewery.

first of all, it needs to be emphasized that a "castle" is not just a castle but a whole complex of buildings and pleasure gardens...
The castle is surrounded by a French garden on its west side and by an English park from the north. The buildings of the castle area include castle brewery (with the native flat of Czech composer Bedřich Smetana), riding hall, stables and carriage hall, which, in recent years, have undergone a reconstruction with the use of some modern-art features.
2 shots from the film display entrance into the castle brewery.
the current G map view shows the entrance into the castle brewery (on the left) and the entrance into the castle (on the right)

as mentioned in the quote, the castle brewery was recently (really nicely) reconstructed (again plenty of pics in LAM link below) and if you ever visit Litomyšl you can find accommodation there...
https://lam.litomysl.cz/en/object/01-13 ... au-brewery

3rd (related) shot of the film shows the memorial plaque (to remind Bedřich Smetana's birth) on the brewery with the allegorical depiction of "the weird sisters unveiling the fate of the child" made in 1912 by a sculptor Josef Šejnost → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_%C5%A0ejnost

Bedřich Smetana was born in a castle "brewery" because his dad was a drug dealer (called "brewer").
we all know that (not only 19th-century) nobility was a bunch of good-for-nothings permanently on drugs and thus no wonder part of the castle complex is a building called "brewery".
we can easily imagine that the "brewer" was providing to the nobility not only beer but also opium, laudanum, morphine, cocaine, etc., etc., etc.
being exposed to moral decay from an early age, no wonder Bedřich Smetana later contracted syphilis (as foretold by the weird sisters).
i have heard that with the upcoming 200th anniversary some improvements in the exposition of the native flat are being prepared — including hiring some infant boy (child labor???) to impersonate little Beřich Smetana who is gonna tell tourists about his fate.
i assume that hearing from a little boy a tale (with all the details) of how he will in the future contract a venereal disease gonna be an unforgettable experience for the tourists.

but let's get something straight, i guess nobody doubts i am a Litomyšl patriot, but to be honest, if you want to see a cool birthplace of a creative genius, forget about Litomyšl and go to the nearby town called Polička where Bohuslav Martinů was born on the very top of the tower (of the church of St. James) → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohuslav_Martin%C5%AF
Bohuslav Martinu is inherently linked with a small room in the tower of St. James church in Policka. It is a tiny unique and romantic place however a bit impractical to live in. The famous composer was born here on 8th December 1890.

A family of five used to live in the tower until Bohuslav was eleven. Father Ferdinand was a shoemaker. He also watched over the tower, he had to make sure that fire did not start anywhere in the tower and he had to set the tower clock and sound the Angelus. Father had an assistant who lived with the family. They called him granddad. He helped them in the household and as the room was too small, he slept in bed under the clock in the tower.

The feel of living 36 metres above the ground made a distinct impact on the composer. He wrote In his memoir from Paris in 1934: "... I suppose that this space comes from my emotions as a child and it has a major role in my attitude toward the composition. I do not feel the small interests of people, their problems, their pain or their joy; I saw these from high above, far away. But it is the space that I constantly see and I think the one that I keep looking for in my works. Space and nature, not people..."

If you mount 192 stairs up to the church tower itself, you will pay an unforgettable visit to this room and you will experience a magnificent view of the town and its surroundings.
anyway, back to Litomyšl.
in 1924, the 100th anniversary was celebrated, and a monument to Bedřich Smetana was unveiled on the main square — (2) on the map (above) & check LAM
https://lam.litomysl.cz/en/object/01-vp ... ch-smetana
if anyone finds a film from 1924, featuring the unveiling ceremony (taking place on the 2nd of June 1924), please, post a link during the 1924 poll and i am willing to write an extensive annotation again.
btw. i have heard that some new adjustments to the surrounding of the memorial are planned (and gonna be unveiled in 2024) — it is supposed to be some water elements and little bridges (each devoted to each and every opera by Bedřich Smetana).
but it is (again) something rather for the tourists because anyone and everyone who has a direct tie to Litomyšl can easily spit off all of his operas thanks to the locally well-known mnemotechnics, i.e. "braprodalidvěhutačevi".
if you learn by heart the word "braprodalidvěhutačevi" (or "bra-pro-da-li-dvě-hu-ta-če-vi") then you can easily expand this mnemotechnics into the following list (btw. this mnemotechnics records all the operas in the chronological order)...

bra = Braniboři v Čechách = The Brandenburgers in Bohemia
pro = Prodaná nevěsta = The Bartered Bride
da = Dalibor
li = Libuše
dvě = Dvě vdovy = The Two Widows
hu = Hubička = The Kiss
ta = Tajemství = The Secret
če = Čertova stěna = The Devil's Wall
vi = Viola (unfinished)

because Bedřich Smetana was such a prolific opera maker, in 1949 an annual opera festival was started in Litomyšl.
and moreover, an amphitheater was built in the castle garden, and (during the festival) operas were staged there (open-air).
however, these open-air music performances were vulnerable to the changing weather condition (several operas were interrupted by the arrival of rain).
thus, slowly but surely, the main stage of the festival was shifted from the amphitheater to the castle's inner yard (where open-air performances are sheltered by a portable/provisional roof).
moreover, when the castle was enlisted as a UNESCO heritage site (in 1999) there was a demand to remove this alien element (amphitheater) from the castle complex.
Revitalization of the park below the chateau → https://lam.litomysl.cz/en/object/01-vp ... he-chateau

(on the left) already abandoned amphitheater
(on the right) current state
both pics from the LAM (viz link above)

as an infant, i attended several operas in the castle amphitheater (and many times witnessed an interruption by rain when all the musicians had to flee in rush to save their valuable musical instruments).
but again, let's be completely honest, the only opera (i attended during "Smetana's Litomyšl Opera Festival") that left a permanent trace on my psyche was not composed by Bedřich Smetana but by Leoš Janáček and was called "The Cunning Little Vixen" (composed in 1921-1923)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cunning_Little_Vixen

i can recall an infant i was mesmerized by all the animals singing their opera parts in the open-air amphitheater of the castle garden.
for example...
https://www.supraphon.com/catalogue/libretto/4

VIXEN
I also have no experience in love-making.
But I have heard a thing or two from the starlings who had a nest above our den.
All the while they used to quarrel and fight.
They reproached each other with horrible immoral and improper things.
The old starling, the shameful sinner, carried on most notoriously in the crown of the oak-tree, his wife used to say.
And once on Saturday, after the weekly pay, the raven and the hawk intervened and gave them a good thrashing.
The youngstern weren’t any better than their elders.
One of them had a sinful affair with the cuckoo.
He learnt to put eggs into other people’s nests.
Another had to pay the magpie alimony, a heap of hazelnuts.
And the starling’s daughter, a plain creature, always grimy, carried on with a young raven!

https://youtu.be/HwpmVr8ZqF4
rischka

Post by rischka »

https://letterboxd.com/rischka/list/1921-poll-20/

proud to top the list once again

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Post by ... »

As is appropriate. Any other movie coming out on top would be a travesty of polling justice.