Country of the Month (CoMo) →→→ VOTES!

niminy-piminy

Country of the Month (CoMo) →→→ VOTES!

Post by niminy-piminy »

Please, suggest a country (the countries) you would like to focus on during the next month!

You can vote (once in a voting period — from 23rd to 23rd) for (up to) 3 countries — assorting to them (according to your priority) 3, 2, 1 point(s).
If you change your mind (prior to the deadline), just make a new post and your vote will be duly re-recorded (changed).
On the 23rd of each month (23:23 GMT+1), there is the deadline for voting for the next CoMo, and voting for the next-next CoMo opens.
The country with the most points (on the 23rd, 23:23 GMT+1) is becoming our next CoMo.
If more countries acquire the same quantity of points, the next CoMo is the one that was mentioned first (or got more points during the first mention).
Once a country becomes CoMo, it loses all the points acquired so far.
However, it can be voted for again (and if getting most of the points again, it becomes CoMo again).
Btw., no need to stick to the countries in terms of the current state borders (any type of "country" can be suggested).

After each and every deadline, all the countries get (besides pts from the voters) an extra booster:
1/ countries in the rows 2-10 ... 0,9 pt
2/ countries in the rows 11-19 ... 0,6 pt
3/ other countries that got a vote ... 0,3 pt
4/ the rest ... 0,1 pt
CoMo timeline → viewforum.php?f=52

1. Poland (May22)
2. Iceland (Jun22)
3. Uruguay (Jul22)
4. Netherlands (Aug22)
5. South Korea (Sep22)
6. Egypt (Oct22)
7. Finland (Nov22)
8. Chile (Dec22)

9. Czechia (Jan23)
10. Philippines (Feb23)
11. Bosnia-Herzegovina (Mar23)
12. Senegal (Apr23)
13. Greece (May23)
14. Costa Rica (Jun23)
15. Armenia (Jul23)
16. Georgia (Aug23)
17. Belgium (Sep23)
18. Lithuania (Oct23)
19. Great Britain (Nov23)
20. Cyprus (Dec23)

21. Slovenia (Jan24)
22. Germany (FebMarApr24)
23. Peru (May24)
24. ??? (Jun24)
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:18 pm, edited 77 times in total.
sally

Re: Country of the Month (CoM)

Post by sally »

❤️
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

i checked the world map of all the films i logged in the past few years and then picked 3 (more or less random) countries with (past few years) zero.
thus my initial vote is...

Moldova 3
Uruguay 2
Panama 1
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sally

Post by sally »

such nobility! i wonder if, for our inaugural month at least, to encourage participation, we should scoff at virtue, gorge ourselves on available riches and do something idiotic like france...whilst i suspect i would find eg moldovan sensibilities congenial (and where is our long-left friend, is she still in york jiri do you know?) i would find finding a month's worth of actual films pretty tough and would require kg-companions to supply almost everything

uruguay has more available (although subtitle situation? for instance i just browsed a cute little uruguayan documentary on youtube - en praga (1964) but there are no subs :( ), i could go for that, although i already watched the one i most wanted to watch from there last year - veiroj's belmonte:

so considering countries of existing cinematic renown where i can at least find a ton that i actually, actively want to watch right now:

poland
czechia
(i renewed my dafilms sub for another year! hooray! let's do ALL the vacheks)
south korea

but honestly as long as we just choose something, i'm fine with whatever (although seriously winking at my kg buddies just in case) and if no one but me and jiri posts any suggestions here then i say we go with his since he bravely created this thread.

also i have re-thunk the list thing - whilst i'm still ambivalent about sealing it up at the end (though useful for future iterations) what would really be most helpful for me would be everyone at the start listing their top however-many films from that country so i can plan my watches according to such inspirations as would no doubt be revealed
greennui

Post by greennui »

Strating with a big country is probably a good idea.
flip

Post by flip »

what does it mean if a country is chosen as country of the month?
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

re: sally

yes, she is in york!

i am not against starting with a big country and ultimately i might back up some vote of this kind (replacing Panama).

for Moldova, i would try to finally watch...
https://letterboxd.com/film/mama-illegal/
i grabbed this long ago but didn't start yet (not even sure if i still have it buried somewhere or if i lost it meanwhile — if so i would re-grab).
and my recommendation would be... https://letterboxd.com/film/fortress-2013/
besides, i would certainly also try to watch some films made by Moldovans.
in any case, i would try to go during the CoM both ways:
1/ watching films made by natives of the country
2/ watching films about the country

for Uruguay, i would finally watch...
https://letterboxd.com/film/dieste-uruguay/
also a film i grabbed long ago and didn't watch yet.

once, the CoM starts i agree that the first step we should do is to make recommendations.
i will start a complimentary brand new thread in Res. and try to collect all the recommendations in a list (similar to the one Lencho is doing for year polls). then it will be possible to make shouts (in that thread) about being interested in some particular entries with subsequent logistic operations from KG to Res. (i would certainly participate in this logistics).

once Czechia becomes CoM (i prefer some later date) i am fine revisiting Karel's opuses and providing neverending footnotes that might facilitate the viewings by foreigners.

-------------------------

re: flip

in my understanding, it just means that for a month those who gonna participate will try to focus on a certain region (besides being focussed on plenty of other things) — trying to fill one's own blind spots related to the region.
and the advantage of this joint focus might be that we can (possibly) make discoveries we would not make on our own (if we would try to focus on the same subject separately, individually).
that there might be some favorable synergies.
the same synergies that are occasionally observed during the year poll or director's poll or alike.
flip

Post by flip »

i was just curious if this might be part of an effort to do updated versions of our country polls, but with more viewing involved

of the polls i've been involved in (i only did some of the country polls) those ones were my favourites, but i feel like we've lost a few people since then who had watched extensively, so more obscure films could still do pretty well. that could be true again though if people are going to watch a few things as part of a country of the month series
niminy-piminy

Re: Country of the Month (CoMo)

Post by niminy-piminy »

btw. i just decided to change the abbreviation "CoM" for "CoMo" because "CoMo" sounds more like "DaDa" and thus (i believe) might be perceived as more alluring.

plus "CoM" has a "Commercial" connotation.
on the other hand, with "CoMo" one associates the idyllic "Lago di Como".
Idyllic shores, mild climate, picturesque villages, and breathtaking natural landscapes surrounding the lake. All these features have contributed to the success of Lake Como among international celebrities.

George Clooney fell in love with this area back in 2001, when he purchased an eighteen-century villa for 10 million euros. The villa, which is named Villa Oleandra, is located in the small community of Laglio, on the western side of Lake Como. In 2004, Clooney decided to buy a second villa in art nouveau style. The mansion is named Villa Margherita and is located in close proximity to Villa Oleandra.

Since Clooney’s arrival, the little town became full of paparazzi, fans and curious people eager to see the actor and his numerous Hollywood guests, including Cindy Crawford, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Basic Instinct Douglas.

Even the British actor Robert Pattinson, the vampire of Twilight, was similarly astonished by the beauty of this area. He owns an 800-square-meter villa with two floors and a basement, and a 1,200-square-meter garden with a swimming pool and tennis courts. The villa is located in Menaggio, only 17 km away from Clooney’s villas and has a cost of 5 million euros. Of course, the villa has an amazing lake view.

The reason why he purchased a mansion there? Because of the peace and quiet atmosphere, far away from Hollywood lights and his crazy fans.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

btw. i just decided to change the abbreviation "CoM" for "CoMo" because "CoMo" sounds more like "DaDa" and thus (i believe) might be perceived as more alluring.

plus "CoM" has a "Commercial" connotation.
on the other hand, with "CoMo" one associates the idyllic "Lago di Como".
Delightful! I like this idea a lot. I don't watch enough movies these days to feel I'll be able to participate much, mind you, but I'll try my darndest to make a showing.
sally

Re: Country of the Month (CoMo) votes

Post by sally »

Baron Kekesfalva wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:54 am the next kinothrills...
BUMP!
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

yes, this is exactly what i mean!
ofc besides 1921 (already reconnoitered the local terrain).
votes for "CoMo of May" are still eagerly awaited during the next 3 days!
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

I feel like Egypt has a dense history, and is well explored by a few people who could point some of us in good directions, but also has lots of still relatively hidden gems for most of us.

But I have no real qualms with any of the other suggestions.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

updated!
all the votes/points so far (CoMo, May 2022):

3 pt — Poland, Moldova, Egypt
2 pt — Uruguay, Czechia
1 pt — Panama, South Korea
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

everyone is still (one more day) welcome to vote for the first CoMo.
however, whatever your eventual vote will be, your (utmost) 3 points can't beat the 3 points of Poland.
and thus (prior to the deadline), i (together with Jamniczek) ceremonially declare the first CoMo to be (hurray! hurray!)...

HOW A SAUSAGE DOG WORKS (Julian Józef Antonisz, 1971) #CoMoPoland
https://youtu.be/r16GL3N4PdM
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Thu May 19, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sally

Post by sally »

wait, what? that's some fine decision-making there. woo-hoo!

also: i may have to take some time off work and hope it rains more. bookmarks - 1921: 117, poland: 118...

i'm going to bed now whilst i still can
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

good night, restless lady!
wishing you a smooth transition from the Walpurgis Night to the International Workers' Day.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

once the first CoMo was chosen, the time has come to pick the next!
during this month, everyone (including those who voted in the past month) is eligible to distribute his/her (new) 6 pts (3-2-1) up to 3 countries.
Poland (the first CoMo) lost all the points acquired so far, however, it can be voted for again (and if getting most of the points, it becomes CoMo again).
all the countries that were voted for in the past (in April) not only stay on the list but get an extra 0,6 pts booster.

this month, i vote for...
3 — Iceland (so i can proceed to "Reykjavík, Part Two" and get more familiar with Steina Vasulka)
2 — Philippines (so i can finally watch some films by Khavn)
1 — Mongolia (so i can watch "Johanna d'Arc of Mongolia")

an updated chart looks like this...
all the votes/points so far (CoMo, June 2022):

3,6 pts — Moldova (15Apr22), Egypt (28Apr22)
3 pts — Iceland (2May22)
2,6 pts — Uruguay (15Apr22), Czechia (15Apr22)
2 pts — Philippines (2May22)
1,6 pts — Panama (15Apr22), South Korea (15Apr22)
1 pt — Mongolia (2May22)
please, vote!

btw. to make the results more predictable, if more countries acquire the same quantity of points, the next CoMo is the one that was mentioned first (i.e. is listed first in the row (highlighted with color) — the date of the first mention in the brackets).
sally

Post by sally »

got given some posh chocolate from work last year, had an inkling and excavated it from its cupboard, and yeah! it's polish made! also expires 13.05.22, so it all comes together that i should be munching chunks to each movie from now till then!

the above to say that i am incapable of ignoring the inescapable signs from the inanimate universe that i should vote for iceland next, despite not thinking there is much in the way of movies to be watched (although i will probably need a rest from films next month after this one) also i have no real initiative now that my most fervent desire was fulfilled (czechia will be almost as intense as poland so maybe 6 months from now is better) so i will commune with others

1. iceland
2. uruguay
3. egypt

and now this whole thing stinks of strategy. get voting, you others, to nullify that!
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

i interpret (hopefully, right) 1. = 3 pts, 3. = 1 pt
all the votes/points so far (CoMo, June 2022):

6 pts — Iceland (2May22)
4,6 pts — Uruguay (15Apr22), Egypt (28Apr22)
3,6 pts — Moldova (15Apr22)
2,6 pts — Czechia (15Apr22)
2 pts — Philippines (2May22)
1,6 pts — Panama (15Apr22), South Korea (15Apr22)
1 pt — Mongolia (2May22)
sally

Post by sally »

yeah sorry you interpreted correctly, i should have done points not ranked, am too used to polls (that i don't rank anyway)
sally

Post by sally »

can we announce june CoMo soonish like the year polls? cuz the lack of time in advance to prepare is obviously why i'm basically the only person spamming the current one atm
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

sally wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:50 pm soonish
rules' update:
on the 23rd of each month, there is the deadline for voting for the next CoMo, and voting for the next-next CoMo opens.

if everyone remains silent, i assume everyone agrees.
whoever disagrees, complain!
all complaints gonna be heard.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

to all possessed with the desire to vote for the next (June) CoMo.
only one more day left to do so!
faute de mieux wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:26 pm You can vote (once a month) for (up to) 3 countries — assorting to them (according to your priority) 3, 2, 1 point(s).
On the 23rd of each month (23:23 GMT+1), there is the deadline for voting for the next CoMo, and voting for the next-next CoMo opens.
The country with the most points (on the 23rd, 23:23 GMT+1) gonna be our next CoMo.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

(by popular vote) the new CoMo has been elected!

Last edited by niminy-piminy on Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sally

Post by sally »

oh my god! what a surprise!

i have my ephemera all ready to go :)

bit scared by the liquorice choc though

anyway in advance, has anyone found any way of getting this site: https://filmcentralen.dk/museum/island-paa-film to actually list the films available? there's a few at the bottom, but they never link to the long ones which just came up as random links to other stuff, the map doesn't ever load for me, and as soon as i search for something it reverts back to the entire database of all the danish stuff included.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

yes, it was a shocking winner!
i held my breath till the last minute.

this time i vote for...
3 - Netherlands
2 - Austria
1 - Poland (because one PoCoMo was not enough!)

as usually, the winner loses everything and all the non-winning countries are rewarded with a 0,6 pts booster.
all the votes/pts so far (CoMo, July 2022):

5,2 pts — Uruguay (15Apr22), Egypt (28Apr22)
4,2 pts — Moldova (15Apr22)
3,2 pts — Czechia (15Apr22)
3.0 pts — Netherlands (24May22)
2,6 pts — Philippines (2May22)
2,2 pts — Panama (15Apr22), South Korea (15Apr22)
2,0 pts — Austria (24May22)
1,6 pts — Mongolia (2May22)
1.0 pt — Poland (24May22)
sally

Post by sally »

HELLO CAN ANYONE SEE THIS? :D

i'm not gonna be responsible for choosing the next one but i will lay the ground for later...

3 - belgium
2 - lebanon
1 - chile

also....what about ex-yugoslavia countries? would that be dreadful to do them as one? thoughts?
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

in my view, we don't need to stick to "countries" in terms of the current state borders.
i am fine to enlist into the chart Galicia (hello, St. Gloede!) or upper flow of the Nile or delta of Mississippi or Mars.
if anyone suggests a "country" like this and if such a "country" gets enough pts then i see no reason not to announce it as the next CoMo.
all the votes/pts so far (CoMo, July 2022):

5,2 pts — Uruguay (15Apr22), Egypt (28Apr22)
4,2 pts — Moldova (15Apr22)
3,2 pts — Czechia (15Apr22)
3.0 pts — Netherlands (24May22), Belgium (29May22)
2,6 pts — Philippines (2May22)
2,2 pts — Panama (15Apr22), South Korea (15Apr22)
2,0 pts — Austria (24May22), Lebanon (29May22)
1,6 pts — Mongolia (2May22)
1.0 pt — Poland (24May22), Chile (29May22)
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

23rd23:23!!!