the squidgy algorithm: if that then YES!

sally

the squidgy algorithm: if that then YES!

Post by sally »

.....to plough the soft yielding brains of this community
(exhuming jewels of pooled knowledge)

i love a film, please lead me to another like it...

sally

Re: the squidgy algorithm: if that then YES!

Post by sally »

a first request, after aha! concluding that the new topic magic still happens: after watching the lovely 'i love my boring life' (2009) the other day i remembered that one of my absolute favourite films is victor kossakovsky's hush! where he just films stuff out of his window for a year then wryly assembles a movie out of it.

can anyone recommend me any other 'just observing' (at a slight ironic distance) everyday domestic life movies? am not coming up with much other than travelogues and was wanting something more window-static....
wba

Post by wba »

My favorite of these kinds of movies is probably "La-bas" / Down There (2006) by Chantal Akerman, where she is sometimes commenting on what is happening outside her window and sometimes just letting the camera and audio "speak". Fantastic movie!
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
wba

Post by wba »

Also, if I remember correctly, British filmmaker John Smith has made a bit similar movies, though they're sometimes more about standing on a street corner, observing, or even taking a short stroll in the neighborhood.
But if I recall correctly, the one that actually did the gazing outside the window thing was FLAG MOUNTAIN (2010).
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
sally

Post by sally »

thank you! my antiquated dried-out brain couldn't answer my own question yesterday, but i've done a bit more digging and have started on my WOW! (window on world) viewing list, to which i'll gratefully add your suggestions (street corners, short strolls are also welcome)....

to check:
day is done - thomas imbach
the other day - ignacio agüero
the way we are - pedro marques
the bad field - bernhard sallmann
down there - chantal akerman
flag mountain - john smith
wba

Post by wba »

when it comes to street corners (kind of) and short strolls, maybe these could be something to look for:

Intervals (Peter Greenaway, 1969)
The Girl Chewing Gum (John Smith, 1976)
The Black Tower (John Smith, 1987)

I haven't seen it and it's probably quite a bit different, but Kossakovsky has made a great sounding movie in 2018 called AQUARELA, where he only filmed water all over the world and assembled his sounds and images of water into a 90 minute film.
sally

Post by sally »

i've seen & ♥ all those three, maybe being an alien voyeur of the quotidian is in my english dna

i'll see if i can track down the kossakovsky, i've only seen syvato from him in addition to tishe!...
greennui

Post by greennui »

sally

Post by sally »

excellently squidgy :)

only i have to hammer some 2009s right now, then will come back to this (that's if i remember, i've just spent 10 mins looking for a specific jumper to put on cuz i was cold only to discover i was already wearing it...sigh)

Post by ... »

Jem Hader's Counting might, well, count for your category. Pretty much is just filming out of windows. I liked it, but it seems not to be a favorite for the few others I follow who saw it.
sally

Post by sally »

yeah i watched that for the 2015 poll, that's the kind of stuff :)