Treasure Trove of Polish Movies Until End of November

karl

Treasure Trove of Polish Movies Until End of November

Post by karl »

There's a site with English-subbed Polish classics - but only, it claims, till end of November:

https:// 35mm.online/en/vod/feature-films/

Does anyone know how to "grab" this stuff while it's still up?
There is no tyrant like a thoroughpaced reformer. I drink to his own reformation. - Mr. MacBorrowdale, Gryll Grange
wba

Re: Treasure Trove of Polish Movies Until End of November

Post by wba »

This is a wonderful site, Karl!

Do you know where they say it's only available till the end of November?
And why?

Unfortunately I cannot help you with "grabbing" the good stuff. :(
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
wba

Post by wba »

PS: the "correct" link should be: https://35mm.online/en/
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
sally

Post by sally »

OMG

Where does it says it's only till end of November? WHHHHHHHY?????

there's one from 1962, watching it now

also there's a lighthouse movie! (knave of spades)

edit i'm not watching it now it wants me to create an account....hmmmm
edit edit, the lighthouse one is not lighthousey. but it is charming (and racist and misogynist) and funny and almost czech 60's humour (poland still exorcising silent movie ghosts, see also munk's zezowate szczęście from the same year)
sally

Post by sally »

oh gosh and there's tons of animation some of which you can watch

(featuring being rescued by a magpie)
Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

Wonderful site, thanks Karl!
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
wba

Post by wba »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:29 pm
thanks for the tip! I watched one yesterday, from 1955 and it was gorgeous.
Here's a link to that delightful tale (it's about a pact with the devil, and the english subs seem to have been made by someone who isn't really into the English language as such):
https://35mm.online/en/vod/animation/mrs-twardowska/

From which movie is that wonderful image, sally?
sally

Post by sally »

wba wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:10 am From which movie is that wonderful image, sally?
it's jan lenica's labirynt (called maze on that site)
https://35mm.online/en/vod/animation/maze/

i love that impasto craze that happened for a while in polish animation (witold giersz mainly but there are others eg piotr szpakowicz)
wba

Post by wba »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:55 pm
wba wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:10 am From which movie is that wonderful image, sally?
it's jan lenica's labirynt (called maze on that site)
https://35mm.online/en/vod/animation/maze/

i love that impasto craze that happened for a while in polish animation (witold giersz mainly but there are others eg piotr szpakowicz)
Thanks!
I noticed that I had already seen the film but somehow didn't remember almost anything about it (only the Dino rang a bell)? Not a good sign...
I just rewatched it on the site and nope, not really a fan. Some gorgeous imagery though (like the pick you posted - I also generally visually love the impasto stuff you mention, though I find Lenica's cut-out/collage technique fascinating as well).

Apparently I also didn't "get" the story, cause I thought the main character was the villain and he travelled back in time where stranger creatures lived than today, etc. pp.
The usual synopsis(es - is that even a word?) don't make much sense to me when compared to the viewing experience (like "A winged man in a bowler hat flies to the Art Nouveau metropolis. Tempted by its beauty, he wanders along the empty streets" - seriously? Wtf? I thought the city he descended towards looked like hell when viewed from the sky, and it still looked like hell when he walked the streets...). I mean the synopsis(es) make sense on paper, yeah, but they are definitely from another film than the one I saw (also "The man notices that a beautiful woman is trapped by a reptile and he decides to rescue her." - when i noticed him trying to kill that defenseless crocodile I hoped it would eat him instead. The woman of course was wise to turn back to the crocodile instead of this heartless misogynist killer). Whatever, as I said it wasn't my cup of tea anyway.
sally

Post by sally »

aw, i liked it, he got rescued by a magpie! but there's plenty of others to watch so i'm sure you'd find something more to your taste..
wba

Post by wba »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:35 pm aw, i liked it, he got rescued by a magpie! but there's plenty of others to watch so i'm sure you'd find something more to your taste..
the magpie was cute and super nice to him, indeed!

I did watch one great one (my first on the site) which I mentioned and linked to a few posts above - so there's plenty to enjoy for everyone, as you say. :cowboy: :drinking:
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

Availability was recently extended to the end of December. I made a Letterboxd list of all their narrative feature films (I haven't had time to include animation, shorts, or documentaries):

https://boxd.it/dYw6o