xVQ

vote for either
xRiver or xVQ
by Jun 9
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
Lencho of the Apes

Re: cup21 :: r2.5

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

I changed my lineup without realizing it; my round-two movie is Crates, by Alfredo Joskowicz, now available in r-s--rces.
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
mesnalty

Post by mesnalty »

Any movie that uses the Misa Criolla is already gonna have a leg up on the competition in my book, and the rest of Crates didn't disappoint either. A strange little fillip of a movie - exceedingly languid, despite what you might expect from the frenetic montage at the beginning.

xVQ
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

xVQ

-------------------------------
btw. Konchalovsky was instrumental in the greatest frustration i ever experienced on SCFZ...
DC 2016, Group B, R1: "The Man Who Envied Women" (Rainer) vs. "Nest of the Gentry" (Konchalovsky)
Final score: Rainer 3, Konchalovsky 12
if "The Man Who Envied Women" would lose with "Nest of the Gentry" 7:8 or 6:9 i would consider it ridiculous but i guess i would be able to get over it. but losing 3:12! was completely beyond my comprehension. even 5 years later, it is still beyond my grasp how something so utterly phantasmagorical could happen. :?

however (putting 5 years old trauma aside), this round of the cup makes me quite optimistic about the future...
1/ someone else is facing damn Konchalovsky (so it is highly unlikely, he would cross my path this season).
2/ cup (obviously) became much less popular than it was in the past and thus a grand fiasco (like 3:12) is highly unlikely to happen ever again.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

I just want to clarify that I was one of the 3 who voted for the Rainer
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

unfortunately, i have to disappoint you!
in 2016, Turgenev got you on the Konchalovsky slippery slope...
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/the_aut ... -t927.html

i liked both movies, but the xKonchalovsky held my interest much more intensely and for longer. haven't actually read that turgenev but i have it on my shelf (turgenev is my boy) so that's probably colouring my favours a bit. i did find the rainer clever tho and am excited for more of her work
but i have zero doubts you would vote for Rainer in 2021! :)
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

btw. i like about this round it offers two different "(from) urban to rural" tales.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Fuck I was thinking of Film About A Woman Who

I don't rate movies anymore but I looked at my old ratings and I gave Envied and Gentry the same. Nowadays if such sentiment applied I would certainly vote a tie instead of needlessly trying to split hairs
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

i was quite preoccupied with Yvonne Rainer in 2015-2016 and watched several of her films then (10 specifically, so i am ready for the poll!).
not sure what would be my perception of f.e. ""The Man Who Envied Women" if i would rewatch it nowadays.
tho i guess i would still like a lot "Film About A Woman Who" (in my (already somewhat blurred) memory it was my fav).
-----------------------
anyway, can't relate much to Konchalovsky but looking forward to watching some more films by Alfredo Joskowicz (after this pleasing introduction).
rischka

Post by rischka »

xVQ thx for subs lencho -- yes there was a birth but it wasn't in close-up lol. i quite liked this!

i also found shy people very watchable with it's southern gothic vibes. jill clayburgh was annoying af tho
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

xVQ wins 3-1.