The Birds

sally

Re: The Birds

Post by sally »

ha! that is quite the find! shut up indeed :D

i have only found peripheral birds lurking in the insane asylum today, and they in their laconic judgement don't make a peep

hullumeelsus / madness (kaljo kiisk, 1969)

sally

Post by sally »

i'm on a roll!

a stopped dead bird is right twice a day!

la proie du vent (rené clair, 1927)

sally

Post by sally »

sally

Post by sally »

rischka

Post by rischka »

omglol
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
sally

Post by sally »

more ceramic bird spots, this time in a really sweet doc about the domestic life of an old couple in a portuguese apartment block....so sweet

the way we are - pedro marques (2011)

also you know they're good people

rischka

Post by rischka »

ANTIFA 4-EVA

sally

Post by sally »

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

there is practically not a single thread in this forum that wouldn't be suitable for a still from SYLVIA AND THE GHOST.

rischka

Post by rischka »

there's always time for birdsong!

ANTIFA 4-EVA

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

BIRD NEWS FROM BOHEMIA:

A raid due to a hundred-year-old collection of birds.
The senior suffered a heart attack, he makes a plea at court

Retired František Kresta from Chrastava suffered a heart attack. The state confiscated his unique, more than a hundred-year-old collection of birds. The collection, which has no comparison in the Czech Republic, contained these days' protected animal species, such as the European roller (Coracias garrulus) or whinchat (Saxicola rubetra). The man obtained a permit to hold it. To this day, he seeks justice in court.

The possession of protected species requires a valid exception, which the 70-year-old man initially did not have, but subsequently obtained. However, even this did not make officials return his valuable collection. The old man is convinced that the state robbed him rudely. He paid the loss with the decline of health. "I probably won't live to see justice," says the collector.

How did the whole anabasis start? Kresta acquired a glass display case with 25 species of birds in 1958 from his grandfather, who bought it in Ostrava in 1915. "Čižba" or hunting small birds was very popular at that time.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

Flying duck orchid

this flower pretending to be a duck is only half of the weird story!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caleana_major
The flower is an attractant to insects, such as male sawflies which pollinate the flower in a process known as pseudocopulation.
sally

Post by sally »

a skinned duck covered in confused insect sperm. flowers are so romantic

i haven't seen a single duckling yet this year, which is a bit weird...
sally

Post by sally »

a new to me bird spotted! (in 1946)

the whisky jack! ♥
The Canada jay, also known as the gray jay, grey jay, camp robber, or whisky jack, is a passerine bird of the family Corvidae

sally

Post by sally »

thanks to lencho i now today discovered the polish film archive

1946 = 461 results (!)

however, all i can do now is just bid 1946 an elegant feathery farewell

http://www.repozytorium.fn.org.pl/?q=en/node/4884
sally

Post by sally »

I saw a kingfisher!!!!!!!! And not the usual smear of electric blue as it scarpered away! Just sat on a rock in the middle of the river for over 30 seconds letting me check out all it's orange too! Bird event if the year, I can't remember the last time I saw one

Made slightly more embarrassing by the fact that I only realized I was making oh oh oh oh noises out loud when a man walked up behind me and I had to point at the bird to make it clear I wasn't having a seizure or public orgasm, which made it fly off
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

i dreamt last night.
i am writing it here (not in the "dreams" thread) because one sequence relates to the post above.

it was one of those dreams that don't have a single consistent plot but are an endless series of unrelated events.
(or at least it is hard to find (in the sublunary/waking mode) any consistency/relation.)
all i remember is one sequence "somewhere in the middle" and the end sequence (the sequence prior to my awakening).

the "middle" sequence was like this...
i was traveling somewhere by bus.
suddenly (out of the blue) a bird flew inside the bus (via the open window).
it landed on the top of one of the seatbacks.
it was not a kingfisher or alike (it was a rather unspectacular bird).
but it was such an unexpected situation that we (all the passengers) started to marvel at it.
however, the bird didn't like this type of attention or was pissed off due to being inside the bus and having no clue how to get out (or something like that).
it started to scream loud and while screaming turned into a big puffed ball.
so far, i knew some fishes can do this (stretching their bodies into a puffed ball shape) but had no idea birds too.
so, i looked at the big puffed feathered ball in amazement and then (suddenly) noticed there is a girl sitting nearby.
she was mocking the shouting puffed feathered ball in a funny way.
she was making grimaces (like a silent film diva) as if responding to the bird's shouts.
i was highly amused and then realized it is... SALLY!
unfortunately, i can't recall what was next.
if the bird found its way out of the bus...
if we had any chat with Sally...
(nearly) all that followed is buried in the subconscious (or where?).

all i can recall, out of all that followed, is the concluding sequence...
i was in some antique shop (or in some auction hall) and there was some quite cool vintage furniture (on sale).
because i got intrigued i started to inquire the shop assistant (or someone from the auction staff) about the furniture.
i was told that it is the furniture designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and comes from the villa also by FLW that is currently on sale in America.
i was puzzled why the furniture is on sale in Prague and not in America as well.
it seemed pretty absurd.
so, i asked, "so, someone in America is going to buy a villa designed by FLW and furnish it with some ordinary contemporary furniture while here in Czechia someone gonna buy this furniture for his/her local villa?"
i was replied, "not really! this furniture designed by FLW is protected by the Cultural Heritage Office of America and thus can only be installed (and used) in the villa by FLW (that was originally designed for)."
i was puzzled even more and asked, "so, why the furniture was removed from the villa? and, when it was removed, why is it not on sale in America too? why was this furniture moved to Czechia?"
i was replied, "despite both, the villa and the furniture, are inseparable by law and both protected by the Cultural Heritage Office of America, they represent separate items and must be sold separately. ideally, both items gonna be sold to the same buyer who is gonna again furnish the villa with its original furniture. but it can happen that buyer of the villa won't be interested in the furniture and then the furniture is gonna be sold to someone else. the other buyer (i.e. the buyer of solely the furniture), however, can't use this furniture (not to break the American cultural heritage protection law) and will only store the furniture until either the moment he will acquire the villa too (buying it from the current/upcoming buyer) or the moment he will sell the furniture to the next owner of the villa (who will buy it from the current/upcoming buyer) and who will be interested in furnishing the villa with the original furniture."
my response was, "i still don't get why the furniture is being sold in Prague and not in America."
i was replied, "as explained before, it is a quite likely the furniture is not gonna be sold together with the villa and thus buying the furniture will be rather a long-term investment that will require storing the furniture (for a long time) in a depot (thus waiting for the indefinite future opportunity to reunite the furniture and the villa). and considering the depot costs in America and in Eastern Europe, it was calculated, even including the shipment costs, as more economically feasible to offer the furniture on sale in Czechia."
at this very moment, i was overpowered by the stern logic of the oneiric capitalism and i woke up.

after awakening, i had a feeling that if there is some almighty figure (hello, "first pavilion"!) that is writing the scripts of the dreams, he/she obviously made a "mistake" in his/her story-telling schemes by coming up with the ridiculous idea of the separate auction of FLW villa (in America) and FLW furniture (in Prague) and because of my tireless questions he/she was forced to pile up nonsenses to the point that it was for him/her easier to wake me up (to kick me out of the dream) than trying to invent even more improbable explanation.
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Thu May 12, 2022 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

MAY 2, 2022
https://robbreport.com/shelter/homes-fo ... 234677403/
A Rare Frank Lloyd Wright Home in Virginia Just Hit the Market for $3 Million
It was originally designed for hosting parties.
... hm, nowhere is a single mention that the furniture of the house is being sold separately in Prague?!?!
so, the concluding dream sequence must have a different origin?!?!
Dream of furniture store
To see yourself in an antique furniture dealership or furniture store, or even going on famous websites such as eBay to purchase furniture can indicate that there is something from the past which is strongly affecting your current life.
sally

Post by sally »

faute de mieux wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:12 pm
Dream of furniture store
To see yourself in an antique furniture dealership or furniture store, or even going on famous websites such as eBay to purchase furniture can indicate that there is something from the past which is strongly affecting your current life.
what a wonderful dream! it does almost make sense, inseparable things must be separated to create the condition of their unity, and of course in czechia, where one must raise a cross to reveal it as such...very clear!

(i hope one day we get more info on this 'sgrafitty')

but the first bit is nonsense, a sweet carnival-hearted bird doing balloon impressions for everyone, and me, mocking? i am a saint with animals! (she says, ignoring The Stick kept in the living room for purposes of obliterating all the endless fucking spiders that appear there)
rischka

Post by rischka »

i saw a mexican jay in the chiricahua mountains. he was very large and quite aggressive. but my photos did not turn out well so here's a deer :p

https://twitter.com/rbgscfz/status/1524 ... gpgXFIWw7A

ANTIFA 4-EVA

sally

Post by sally »

after the peter greenaway-ism of 1946's birds of the village manic obsession with the (non-)ratios of matter eaten that made me chuckle so much, this is always the first bird fact i check out now

i checked it out

In the winter, the Mexican jay's diet consists mainly of acorns and pine nuts, which are stored in the autumn. However, they are omnivorous in all seasons and their diet includes a wide variety of plant and animal matter, including invertebrates, small amphibians and reptiles, and birds' eggs and nestlings (McCormack and Brown 2008).
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

my two field recordings (my first ever) by phone (from Friday evening).
birds' shouts announcing the upcoming storm (with some unintentional noise).
volume right!

https://soundcloud.com/jirinvk/2022-may ... al_sharing
https://soundcloud.com/jirinvk/2022-may ... al_sharing
sally

Post by sally »

i can't do field recordings (phone is shit) but hoping eg rischka can??

anyway sad story, for the past few weeks i have been impatiently passing a nesting goose on the riverside at the end of my street but today there was no mum and three abandoned dead eggs (on similar note, there was always a house i passed that had what i called a rose clock bower over the door, there was not a single time in the year (aside the the deepest few days of winter) when it did not have a rose bloom or lurking bud, but this year, months & months and nothing but leaves :( )

but walking along the canal a bit later (nowhere near my house)

aw! fluffy!
rischka

Post by rischka »

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

I don't know if this would work but I made it w merlin

ANTIFA 4-EVA

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

it works and sounds good!
rischka

Post by rischka »

yay. yrs are lovely too! whenever i hear a new birdsong i rush outside lol

that particular time was for bewick's wren (the long trill song) but can also hear sparrows, a raven and a cardinal there

ANTIFA 4-EVA

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

Portrait of Marcel Duchamp (Baroness Elsa von Freytag-Loringhoven, c. 1920)
https://www.theartstory.org/artist/von- ... oven-elsa/

"Her best-known sculptures look like cocktails and the underside of toilets," art critic Alan Moore wrote of the Baroness' body of work. Portrait of Marcel Duchamp in effect serves up the artist as if a cocktail, adorned with feathers and precariously presented as if a delicate, rare bird. In this abstract portrait, Freytag-Loringhoven does not attempt to present a likeness of the artist, the target for her unrequited love, but instead presents an assemblage of found feathers and other detritus to hint at Duchamp's essential nature. Initially, the Baroness had intended the sculpture as a trophy to give to Duchamp for "The Most Inventive Artist." It is possible, though, that the Baroness was subtly poking fun at Duchamp. She wrote to Jane Heap, one of the editors of The Little Review, "cheap bluff giggle frivolity that is what Marcel now can only give. What does he care about 'art'? He is it."

No longer extant, this photograph by Charles Sheeler provides the only documentation of the sculpture. While Duchamp did not return the Baroness' romantic advances, the anti-mimetic portrait suggests an ongoing collaboration and dialogue between the two artists. An earlier, painted portrait of Duchamp with two of his readymades, as well as the artists' collaboration for The Baroness Elsa Shaves Her Pubic Hair, show just how connected the artists were in their lives and work. However, until the recent interventions of feminist art historians, Freytag-Loringhoven had more often been regarded as a muse than as Duchamp's equal.
rischka

Post by rischka »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UT2lyW ... p=drivesdk

Dawn chorus - sparrows. fnches. Mockingbird, white winged dove. Hummies. Then a car lol

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

ANTIFA 4-EVA