The story behind your avatar

greennui

The story behind your avatar

Post by greennui »

What is it?

Mine's a still from the experimental short film Brutal Ardour, can be seen around 14:30:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkk8wr
Umbugbene

Re: The story behind your avatar

Post by Umbugbene »

Mine is a Pilzkiosk (mushroom kiosk) or Milchpilz (milk mushroom) in a park by the train station in Regensburg, Germany. It's a kiosk selling milkshakes and/or other drinks. In the 1950s there were around 50 of these throughout Europe, but now there are only a few left (I've seen 3). I chose it because I thought it was cute, and it fit nicely into an avatar. The choice predates any revelations by Stormy Daniels; it has nothing to do with politics or movies.

Post by ... »

Mine comes from an Aleksandr Rou movie called Po shchuchemu veleniyu or, roughly I guess, Wish upon a Pike or the Magic Fish. I just thought the look seemed appropriate for the old man I am, and I wanted to leave my old avatars, from Lubitsch's The Doll on Mubi and the Muppet Mr Johnson on Tapatalk, to be specific to those sites. Gotta change things up for new digs.
wba

Post by wba »

Mine (what was it again?...) is currently a publicity(?) still of James Cagney in a bathtub.
Let me see if I can find the full picture...

Here it is:

and here's some more pics of Cagney in a tub which I didn't choose (yet). ;) :)

"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
pabs

Post by pabs »

My avatar pic once belonged to rischka. I liked it so much, I asked her if I could use it once she tired of it.

It's from a (1960s?) Mexican film and I'm ashamed to say I forgot its title, even though rischka wrote it down for me when she handed it over. :oops:
brian d

Post by brian d »

mine's just robert walser
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
wba

Post by wba »

^
a hot looking guy! Always thought that was you, brian!!
I guess I'm an idiot and easily fooled. :lol:
Last edited by wba on Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
flip

Post by flip »

<-- flip trotsky

not sure it needs explain
rischka

Post by rischka »

pabs wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:37 pm My avatar pic once belonged to rischka. I liked it so much, I asked her if I could use it once she tired of it.

It's from a (1960s?) Mexican film and I'm ashamed to say I forgot its title, even though rischka wrote it down for me when she handed it over. :oops:
that's pedro armendariz in flor silvestre? i think. 1943

mine is from gance's la roue (1923) if i remember right
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
sally

Post by sally »

brian d wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:47 pm mine's just robert walser

but you've had it so long, like apursansar and baudelaire, if that isn't actually you by now, nothing makes sense. i mean most of the photos of walser barely look like that, so it's more you than him
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Mines a picture of Pavel Bure, former hockey player
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

hey my name is pavel! i got mine from the larry david nyt lockdown profile:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/styl ... s-psa.html

might change it, though.
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

mine's a picture illustrating the futility of war, from mobile suit gundam
Silga

Post by Silga »

I have the great Sea Captain as my avatar, because The Simpsons is the best thing ever and Sea Captain whose real name's Horatio McCallister is one of best recurring characters in the show.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

no good story. just an image included on a youtube video of a song i got stuck listening to for a while. found it perfectly representational of the standard static ennui i've grown accustomed to over the years - not to mention how it might come across as enigmatic cuz other peeps might be like 'ohhh i wonder what that's from' - but mostly i was just tired of my last avatar tbh, which i'd had much longer than any other avatar i've had thus far in my illustrious forum-perusing career. prior avatar was a picture of a picture of harriet andersson holding a dachshund; 'twas from ingberg's a lesson in love, even though i'm not a fan of bergman, but harriet will 5ever be a super champ babe-of-all-time, plus i also have a wiener dachshund irl. other past avatars are too numerous to mention, but include a cartoon drawing of hayao miyazaki, a composite of christopher reid (of kid 'n play fame) as eraserhead, numerous pics and gifs of erika jayne, and a shot of tom selleck as magnum pi showing off his chest hair
grabmymask

Post by grabmymask »

mine's from a promotional poster for multiple maniacs

:lboxd:
greennui

Post by greennui »

bure wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:35 pm Mines a picture of Pavel Bure, former hockey player
I've seen how you look irl but I still can't stop picturing you as Bure.
liquidnature

Post by liquidnature »

think I came across the image on tumblr about a decade ago, and thought it was a near-perfect representation of my personality and taste. Child-like fantasy, wonder, nostalgia, magic, stars, etc with a number of tie-ins including Virginia Astley's song 'Tree Top Club', children's show Arthur treehouse scenes, the Magic Tree House book series, and more. It's basically all the vibes that comfort me in one image.

Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

Umbugbene wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:22 am Mine is a Pilzkiosk (mushroom kiosk) or Milchpilz (milk mushroom) in a park by the train station in Regensburg, Germany. It's a kiosk selling milkshakes and/or other drinks. In the 1950s there were around 50 of these throughout Europe, but now there are only a few left (I've seen 3). I chose it because I thought it was cute, and it fit nicely into an avatar. The choice predates any revelations by Stormy Daniels; it has nothing to do with politics or movies.
That's great, I never realized what it was. I've seen something similar only once... on the Al Quds University campus in Palestine. I used to get my lunchtime smoothies there.
Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

Oh... and mine is Jan Svankmajer's Virile Games
ofrene

Post by ofrene »

Mine comes from Happy Hour (Ryusuke Hamaguchi)
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

Monsignor Arkadin wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:56 pmI've seen something similar only once... on the Al Quds University campus in Palestine. I used to get my lunchtime smoothies there.
I love it. Just looking at that orange makes me thirsty.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Mine's Buster Keaton, it's my favorite picture of him.
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
MatiasAlbertotti

Post by MatiasAlbertotti »

thoxans wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:55 am no good story. just an image included on a youtube video of a song i got stuck listening to for a while.
I thought it was from Evangelion, but it could well be from a different 90s anime. It has that 90s anime style.

Mine is from Julio Medem's "Los amantes del circulo polar", back in my teenage years I watched that movie and it got me interested on european film, as opposed to always trying to rent films that I thought might be fun and have female nudity in them. To me this movie is very dear because it changed the way that I looked at movies and made me realize that there were other things there to be watched.
jal90

Post by jal90 »

Mine is from the ending credis of Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight, a semi-forgotten gem of 00s TV anime. The character featured is called Mika. Here is the video for better context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMVcAAgTjkI

She's there at 0:32.

As a random curiosity I knew a while after watching the show, it was apparently known on the internet because its disc sales barely broke even, and so people half-jokingly started to refer to a concept called "Manabi line", to indicate the number of copies a show needs to sell to be profitable.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

i was using this avatar in various corners of the interweb for ages.
it's from "House of Horrors" (Jean Yarbrough, 1946) also known as "Joan Medford is Missing"...
https://letterboxd.com/film/house-of-horrors/
An unsuccessful sculptor saves a madman named “The Creeper” from drowning. Seeing an opportunity for revenge, he tricks the psycho into murdering his critics. (Feeling empowered by the friendship of the acromegalic sociopath, De Lange tasks him with murdering the critics who have pilloried him in print.)
i did so not due to affinity to the film (i didn't see it yet), but i just liked what the still displays.
i.e. one guy trying to destroy the portrait, the other trying to prevent him from doing so (two antagonistic forces of icon-maker & icon-smasher).
since there is October and October pastime is going on here, i guess time is ripe to watch this film and finaly..
MEET…THE CREEPER!
greennui

Post by greennui »

Not sure where else to put this but...I've always seen Brotherdeacon's avatar on here and lboxd as a monk folding his hands in prayer but on closer inspection I noticed that it's actually a very long beard. 🤯
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

It's a scene from Rossellini's Viaggio in Italia. It was also my avatar on the previous incarnation of this forum, I decided to keep it because of the name change from FGNRSY to Searchlike. Whatever embarrassing thing I may have said on the last place will haunt me forever as a shadow and I'm fine with that.

At the time I felt Rossellini was the greatest filmmaker and found this scene to be a pretty good summary of his filmography. I'm not sure whether I still consider him my favorite director, but he's definitely my favorite Roberto.
aka FGNRSY
FLABREZU

Post by FLABREZU »

i never bothered to upload one
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

FLABREZU wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:33 amnever bothered
i can vouch for this guy