SCFZ poll: Henri-Georges Clouzot

flip

SCFZ poll: Henri-Georges Clouzot

Post by flip »

Polling the films of director Henri-Georges Clouzot

The rules:

- your list can include no more than half of the Clouzot films you've seen, up to a maximum of 5. So if you've seen seven of his films, for example, you can list only a top 3. It's only if you've seen ten or more of his films than you can list the maximum of five.

- i'll assume ballots are ranked unless you tell me otherwise. unranked ballots are fine.

- deadline for ballots: next Tuesday, in seven days, whatever day that is

- if anyone is watching films for these polls, then i'll extend the deadline up to three days, if someone requests an extension

- next poll: whoever posts the first ballot in this thread is free to nominate the director we poll next, unless you've nominated in this round already (everyone should get a chance). Already nominated this round: umbugbene

umbugbene created an index on letterboxd of all of our previous polls here: letterboxd.com/umbugbene/list/index-of-all-scfz-director-polls/

one rule for nominees: at least 3 scfzers need to have seen 10+ of a nominee's films, or at least 4 scfzers need to have seen at least 8 of the nom's films, so if it isn't clear if that will be the case, we'll confirm that's true before moving forward

if 24 hours pass after a poll opens, and no one eligible to nominate has posted a ballot, then i'll nominate someone, and then we'll start over, and everyone will be able to nominate again
flip

Re: SCFZ poll: Henri-Georges Clouzot

Post by flip »

we'll use the extended rules for this poll:

- if you have seen an odd number of clouzot films, you can round up and not down when determining the length of your ballot
- if you have seen more than ten clouzot films, your ballot can extend past five films. so if you have seen 13 of his films, you can vote for up to 7

and we're at almost a clean slate as far as nominations go, so first person to post a ballot (besides me and umbugbene), please go ahead and nominate our next director!
greennui

Post by greennui »

Quai des Orfèvres

I really hope that The Inferno Unseen (2017) will become available at some point. Nothing but rushes of Romy Schneider from the unfinished L'Enfer. I saw a few clips at a Clouzot exhibition once but not the entire thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j75J45rEnfM
flip

Post by flip »

Les Diaboliques
La Verité

seen four
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

I've only seen one, to my shame, but it's a masterpiece. As ever, plan to watch one or two more, let's see how that pans out.

The Wages of Fear
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

Seen 8

1. The Wages of Fear
2. Les diaboliques
3. Le corbeau
4. The Mystery of Picasso
Last edited by Umbugbene on Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofrene

Post by ofrene »

seen 4 and little boring choice..

1. The Wages of Fear
2. Les diaboliques
:lboxd:
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

seen two. didn't think much of either. diabolique was too stilted and serious for me to have any fun with it at all. still interested in eventually seeing the wages of fear tho
brian d

Post by brian d »

seen 12

la verité
wages of fear
woman in chains
diabolique
le corbeau
the killer lives at 21
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
wba

Post by wba »

Great director, need to see more.

The first 2 are masterpieces:

01. Manon (1949)
02. Woman in Chains (1968)
03. The Wages of Fear (1953)

Clouzot seen: 5
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
oscarwerner

Post by oscarwerner »

Seen 8. My votes go to:
1. The Wages of Fear (1953)
2. Diabolique (1955)
3. Quai des Orfèvres (1947)
4. Le Corbeau (1943)
Caracortada

Post by Caracortada »

Seen 7.

1. Les Diaboliques
2. Le Corbeau
3. La Vérité
4. Quai des Orfèvres
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

The Wages of Fear

Seen 1
greennui

Post by greennui »

For next director I'll pick Peter Hutton. Don't think we need to check if he works, I've got 14 and I'm sure risckha and tdm got a similar number.
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

Le Corbeau
Wages of fear
Quai des orfevres
L'assassin habite au 21
sally

Post by sally »

seen 4 loved 2 love the comedy

les espions
l'assassin habite au 21

and yeah got 14 huttons, funny, was thinking about him today, brain still riffing on old sterling ahab and sea adventures...sad loss still
Caracortada

Post by Caracortada »

flip wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:50 pm
and we're at almost a clean slate as far as nominations go, so first person to post a ballot (besides me and umbugbene), please go ahead and nominate our next director!
I didn't get a turn in round 7, 8 and 9, instead of participating most of the time.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Seen 11:

The Wages of Fear
Les diaboliques
Manon
Le corbeau
Le mystère Picasso
La prisonnière
flip

Post by flip »

Caracortada wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:21 pm I didn't get a turn in round 7, 8 and 9, instead of participating most of the time.
i wasn't intentionally skipping over you or anything like that, i was just following the rules in the post at the top of this thread. anyone who posts a ballot in every poll will always get a chance to nominate once per round, but if you missed some polls, there's always a chance you'll miss an opportunity to nominate. sorry that happened, but if we reach the end of this round and you haven't had a chance to pick a director (but can't post a ballot in the relevant poll), just let me know and i'll give you a chance then.
mesnalty

Post by mesnalty »

Seen 3:

1. The Wages of Fear
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

seen 6

Le Corbeau
Quai des Orfevres
Wages of Fear
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
Caracortada

Post by Caracortada »

flip wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:57 pm
Caracortada wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:21 pm I didn't get a turn in round 7, 8 and 9, instead of participating most of the time.
i wasn't intentionally skipping over you or anything like that, i was just following the rules in the post at the top of this thread. anyone who posts a ballot in every poll will always get a chance to nominate once per round, but if you missed some polls, there's always a chance you'll miss an opportunity to nominate. sorry that happened, but if we reach the end of this round and you haven't had a chance to pick a director (but can't post a ballot in the relevant poll), just let me know and i'll give you a chance then.
I think I've had it with these polls if that's how it works.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

ye flip go get your gf back you weakling pussy
flip

Post by flip »

Caracortada wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:17 pm I think I've had it with these polls if that's how it works.
participate as much or as little as you like, of course. the rules have been the same for 230 polls now, and they treat everyone equally, so i'm not sure what it is you find objectionable about them.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

LE CORBEAU
WAGES OF FEAR

Seen enough to rate more. They might switch places, depending on mood -- I've always felt that WAGES is marred by that ending, if it had ended just a few minutes before it would be sheer perfection.
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
john ryan

Post by john ryan »

Seen 10

1. Le Corbeau
2. Wages of Fear
3. Diabolique
4. Quai des Orfevres
5. The Mystery of Picasso
:lboxd:
flip

Post by flip »

greennui wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:55 pm For next director I'll pick Peter Hutton. Don't think we need to check if he works, I've got 14 and I'm sure risckha and tdm got a similar number.
sounds good, i'm going to be slowing down the poll pace though, because the annual top 100 poll is going to take some work... i think i'll start the hutton poll tomorrow, but i might be slow to tally the open polls (linder, clouzot, zinnemann), so those might just stay open for a while
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

flip wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:20 pm
Caracortada wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:17 pm I think I've had it with these polls if that's how it works.
participate as much or as little as you like, of course. the rules have been the same for 230 polls now, and they treat everyone equally, so i'm not sure what it is you find objectionable about them.
i sorta see where he's coming from. not just cos i missed my turn last round too haha

basically theoretically you could participate in the 29 first polls, but not post first, then not have any movies for the 30th poll, and the round gets restarted

obviously nothing that extreme will ever happen...but i participate in almost all the polls, i just didn't have a max linder movie. honestly, <a la holyman>i'd never even heard of the guy</a>

i don't actually care because i have had a ton of turns (every round except this one) and there's no one i'd really care to pick anyway. i was actually probably just gonna pick baumbach, just so i could have the great pleasure of seeing who else rates KICKING AND SCREAMING tops... but anyway, yeah, i don't really care but totally get why others might is i guess what i'm saying
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

flip wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:07 pm
greennui wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:55 pm For next director I'll pick Peter Hutton. Don't think we need to check if he works, I've got 14 and I'm sure risckha and tdm got a similar number.
sounds good, i'm going to be slowing down the poll pace though, because the annual top 100 poll is going to take some work... i think i'll start the hutton poll tomorrow, but i might be slow to tally the open polls (linder, clouzot), so those might just stay open for a while
Do you mind keeping Zinnemann open a few days longer if that's the case? Have a couple by both him and Clouzot I wanna get to.
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
flip

Post by flip »

MrCarmady wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:36 am Do you mind keeping Zinnemann open a few days longer if that's the case? Have a couple by both him and Clouzot I wanna get to.
no problem, i'll probably end up leaving all the open polls open for another week at least