Recommendation Game [fka Pair-Up Game]

Umbugbene

Re: Recommendation Game [fka Pair-Up Game]

Post by Umbugbene »

bure wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:07 pm the Niki List movie doesn't have English subs available... unless you've got a way, Umbugbene?
Most of the dialogue is a kind of obvious patter, if I recall correctly. You should be able to get almost everything without subtitles. It's the only German-language movie I've ever watched untranslated, and I had no problem (my German is intermediate, but I'd normally have trouble with rapid colloquial Austrian dialect).

If you'd prefer another alternate though I'd understand. I could think of one in a jiffy.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

I'll just go with India Song and A Day Off for now!

But might check out the List flick once my German gets a bit better. I donated to the pot for subs on KG too so who knows
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
flip

Post by flip »

i watched thondimuthalum driksakshiyump (dileesh pothan, 2017), which was excellent, will probably post more thoughts about it a bit later
nrh

Post by nrh »

mesnalty wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:15 am Beduino (Julio Bressane)
this one definitely threw me for a loop - it's always challenging jumping into late career work from artist with a huge body of work, but this is a pretty imposing example of late style, where the language seems to be moving towards something strange and almost private, a feeling that only intensifies as footage and references to bressane's own 1971 film memories of a blonde strangler (sadly unavailable at all online) start to dominate the final sections.

could be very much off here but feels like experimental film in the most literal sense, the stage set becoming a kind of a workshop where bressane can play with different strategies, games, scenes, with connection tissue between gestures seemingly as much a matter to texture and association as anything else (although it's totally possible i'm missing pieces here). the actors, especially alessandra negrini, are very good here, brining a lot of weight and humor to what has to be a difficult role to play. self-parody always seems within easy reach; i think it took me more than halfway through the film before i felt comfortable with the whole thing, if that makes any sense.

will go back and look at more of his work, and probably revisit this when i feel like i have a little firmer grasp on what he's doing.
mesnalty

Post by mesnalty »

Yeah, I'm fascinated by late style, especially directors like Bressane who've had a long career and seemingly aren't beholden to anything other than their own impulses anymore. Reminds me of some late Vecchiali in that sense, but pushing things even further.
nrh

Post by nrh »

do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations of where to go next for bressane? i've been looking at his cleopatra for awhile now.
brian d

Post by brian d »

i haven't seen beduino, but of his later films i liked cleópatra and the herb of the rat quite a bit. also watched filme de amor but didn't like that quite as much. unfortunately it's been a while so i don't remember details, just that there's a lot of long takes and quiet moments, so not much like his early films. but i did go and bookmark close to all of his films that i haven't seen before (only seen 6) so good that people are working through his works. it inspires me. :)
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
flip

Post by flip »

flip wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:28 am i watched thondimuthalum driksakshiyump (dileesh pothan, 2017), which was excellent, will probably post more thoughts about it a bit later
so i was completely unfamiliar with malayalam film before watching this, and i have no idea how to contextualize this, and a lot of what i'd say about it might just be ignorant! there's some culturally specific content (e.g. about castes) that would be more meaningful to a knowledgeable audience than it was to me, though that didn't prevent me from getting a lot from the film. it did recall for me a certain strain of iranian film in some ways (a strain i'd say some farhadi and panahi films belong to), just in how it develops a simple quotidian narrative premise and develops it into something layered and complex and morally ambiguous. there's a lucid quality to the film, of the image (where everything seems to be in focus at once - and there's something about the quality of light that was very pleasing to watch) but also of the development of the narrative and the character motivations, what i think of as 'the argument' (where i'm using that phrase how it's used in classical music theory, not in ordinary conversation). the one thing i didn't like much was how heavy-handed the film was with its musical accents, but otherwise this is an excellent example of how to make an engrossing film with interesting moral and political overtones from minimal narrative material. highly recommended!

i've now watched three of the films nrh recommended, and i found two of them outstanding and the other good, so this round of the pairup game has been really rewarding for me - thanks nrh for going to the effort to make such good selections! i also downloaded the fourth film, and i'll watch that one too a bit later in the month.
nrh

Post by nrh »

flip wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:11 pm so i was completely unfamiliar with malayalam film before watching this, and i have no idea how to contextualize this, and a lot of what i'd say about it might just be ignorant!
i hope i picked a film which was both indicative of the weird/unique space of this particular popular film industry and didn't require too much outside context; i think if you get the fact that caste is what requires them to elope and that indian police stations are places where potentially unchecked deadly violence is a possibility you'll do ok. and i think it might not be immediately clear how far fahadh's thief character has traveled in those last shots. this was the film i was most nervous about recommending, because i think it's an unkown quantity in some ways and just for the fact that it's a little bit long, so very glad you enjoyed it.

also fwiw the 4th/alt film concludes with composer helmut lachenmann giving tribute to his childhood love of morricone, was thinking of those scenes when i got the news of morricone death today...
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

1 down, 3 to go

Blood of the Condor (Jorge Sanjinés, 1969)

An exceptionally sad and angry film, decrying the cycles of violence in the developing world while simultaneously serving as a call to arms for the global poor and oppressed. The B-grade acting and the poor quality of the surviving print only somehow add to the atmosphere of being trapped and run-down. The timeline is all jumbled up but otherwise the plot is very straightforward, the implications clear, and it's only 70 minutes, so there's not a lot that particularly stuck with me but the experience of watching it was enough in itself, very powerful condemnation of bourgeois morality, inequality, and racism against indigenous people. A good start!
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

wba, and anyone else who wants to see it, Coeur fidele will be streaming here tomorrow at 8pm UK time:
https://www.sandsfilms.co.uk/cinema-clu ... vents.html

For my part, I'm planning to watch The Only Son in the next few days and then grab the silents.
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

Well that's a coincidence. BOTH of those films are on a short list I made yesterday of movies I need to reevaluate.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Sorry I haven't watched your suggestions yet Umbugbene! Been crazy busy with finishing up and recording my album while I article. Will watch the Korean one this weekend though, promise!
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

No hurry... I think we're all pretty relaxed about this. I'm gonna try to finish my recommendations from Flip next week. Let me know if you'd like any alternates to make it easier or more palatable. And congrats on your album!
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Ok I took AGES... HOWEVER... last night I christened my new 65" inch TV (my first "I'm an adult and I have some semblance of expendable income now") with A DAY OFF....

great stuff! didn't realize this was a snow movie. some of those scenes at the top of the hill were exquisite. pretty stellar main performance too. there's a lot the movie touches on in terms of how selfish and destructive of our relationships we can be when we're depressed, and how material constraints like limited access to time and money can just intensify that... the main character was kind of a dick, yet i related to what he was going through really well, and i think that's a testiment to how complexly his identity was crafted. dug the score a lot as well. only thing i didn't really like in this movie was i found some of the cuts a bit jarring, but maybe that was intentional and i just wasn't feeling the vibe. amazingly this is only the 4th korean movie i've seen from before 2000. definitely a gap i need to work on filling. thanks for the rec, umbugbene!
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

bure wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:11 pmA DAY OFF

great stuff! didn't realize this was a snow movie. some of those scenes at the top of the hill were exquisite. pretty stellar main performance too. there's a lot the movie touches on in terms of how selfish and destructive of our relationships we can be when we're depressed, and how material constraints like limited access to time and money can just intensify that... the main character was kind of a dick, yet i related to what he was going through really well, and i think that's a testiment to how complexly his identity was crafted. dug the score a lot as well. only thing i didn't really like in this movie was i found some of the cuts a bit jarring, but maybe that was intentional and i just wasn't feeling the vibe. amazingly this is only the 4th korean movie i've seen from before 2000. definitely a gap i need to work on filling. thanks for the rec, umbugbene!
Nice description, I'm happy you liked it. The snow certainly helps to create that vivid mood of expectant calm. Those jarring cuts are probably the influence of Breathless rippling across the 1960s. They seemed like an effective counterpoint to the sometimes-intense stillness, but I'd like to watch it a third time to look more closely.

Flip, would it be too much to ask for another alternate recommendation? Every time I contemplate watching Manoel on YouTube I feel wrong about it. It's probably one of my ten most-wanted unseen movies, and to see it in a bad print might spoil the experience.
flip

Post by flip »

Umbugbene wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:02 am Flip, would it be too much to ask for another alternate recommendation? Every time I contemplate watching Manoel on YouTube I feel wrong about it. It's probably one of my ten most-wanted unseen movies, and to see it in a bad print might spoil the experience.
whoa, i didn't see this until now! i recall that when i saw manoel, which was a few years ago, the only available print was a vhs rip from tv, so at least back then, any commentary you'd seen about the film was based on a print of that quality. maybe there's something better available now, but even that version was amazing.

if you want an alternate though, i have a couple of ideas, i'll check your letterboxd soon to confirm what you've seen already and what not!
greennui

Post by greennui »

That Manoel VHS rip is def part of the mystique for me. Not sure if I'd ever want to watch it in any other form
flip

Post by flip »

Umbugbene wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:02 am Flip, would it be too much to ask for another alternate recommendation?
i'd rec manoel over this for sure, but if you still want another suggestion easy to find on youtube (the director uploaded it himself it seems) i'll suggest beshkempir (aktan abdykalykov, 1998) from kyrgyzstan
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

Thanks Flip! That wasn't very high on my radar at all. I'll get to it within a week... first I want to finish a block of Yoshishige Yoshidas I started watching last night.

By the way, Curtis/Bure/Scrooge... I saw that you watched and loved Une si jolie petite plage, which made me mad at myself that I didn't put it in my recommendations. It's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, and I must have breezed over it too fast when I scanned my list.
Last edited by Umbugbene on Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
flip

Post by flip »

less confident in this particular rec than in my earlier ones, but it should align with at least some of the things you mentioned you like in films. no rush obviously!