IMDB Top 250

Holymanm

IMDB Top 250

Post by Holymanm »

Obviously this is not The Most Reputable List of All Time(™), but just for fun, how many of them have you seen? Have any of you kino lunatics seen more than like 245 of them??

And part of the fun - and/or pointlessness - of the exercise is that it changes all the time, of course...
Silga

Re: IMDB Top 250

Post by Silga »

I have seen 145/250 (58%)

The highest ranked films I haven't seen: Seven Samurai (#19), Life Is Beautiful (22), It's a Wonderful Life (24), Parasite (26), Harakiri (33), Modern Times (39), City Lights (42), Grave of the Fireflies (48), Cinema Paradiso (51), Apocalypse Now (54).

The worst films on the list: The Intouchables (43), Incendies (118), Warrior (158), Gone Girl (188), Hacksaw Ridge (189)

The best films on the list: The Godfather (2), 12 Angry Men (5), Sunset Blvd. (64), 2001: A Space Odyssey (89), Heat (123), Fargo (174), Network (204)
Last edited by Silga on Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
john ryan

Post by john ryan »

I've seen 238/250. This list was my gateway as a teenager. I went out of my way to try to see everything on it. I moved on to other lists at some point. The 250 has changed over the course of two decades, but I seem to keep up with newer stuff more than many others here. There are 7 movies from 2019 on there, which feels ridiculous.

I'm just now learning there is a movie about Hachi the dog. Hachi: A Dog's Tale, starring Richard Gere and directed by Lasse Hallstrom, and it doesn't take place in Japan for some reason. I don't know how I've never heard of this.
:lboxd:
rischka

Post by rischka »

if you're on icm you can check here: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/imdbs+top+250/

i don't rate at imdb but i've seen 207. highest unseen is interstellar and i'm not planning on watching it anytime soon
Last edited by rischka on Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

Seen 198/250... but if you count movies where I've already read the book and don't want to watch the movie, it's higher >__<
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

john ryan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:07 am There are 7 movies from 2019 on there, which feels ridiculous.
Oh for sure, but I guess that's because it's automatically generated, and not curated at all. But that's why it's just for fun :D (except for teenage you, then it's for serious business!)

That Hachi movie is a remake of a Japanese one I've long-sort-of-meant to see. Is it really necessarily a remake, if they're both based on a true story? Maybe. At any rate, it's not Rick's most absurd involvement in Japanese cinema... :?
john ryan

Post by john ryan »

I had totally forgotten about his participation in a Kurosawa movie!

There's a 2014 film on the list that I haven't seen. PK. I might as well watch it this week.
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

Yeah, and including that one, Aamir Khan stars in (at least) 5 movies on the list... am I mistaken, or is that quite remarkable, for one Indian actor :shock:
ofrene

Post by ofrene »

had forgotten its existence such a long time-_- seen almost 200 and highest unseen is Forrest Gump
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

I've seen 179 and my highest unseen is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. There's a lot of chaff on there but I reckon I could get to 200 just watching movies that I do want to see, including that one. Might watch Wild Tales for the 2014 poll, for example.
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

ofrene wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:12 am had forgotten its existence such a long time-_-
I just lost the game :asleep:
MrCarmady wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:54 am my highest unseen is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Same... but the book's always been one of my favourites, so I've never seen the point of watching the movie - until now, when the illustrious IMDB list is judging me :x
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

Holymanm wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:01 am
ofrene wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:12 am had forgotten its existence such a long time-_-
I just lost the game :asleep:
MrCarmady wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:54 am my highest unseen is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Same... but the book's always been one of my favourites, so I've never seen the point of watching the movie - until now, when the illustrious IMDB list is judging me :x
Funnily enough my reason for not having seen it is that I used to avoid adaptations of novels I wanted to read but hadn't read yet, and Kesey is one of my mum's favourite authors, but I still haven't got around to either reading him or watching the movie.
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

Haha same... The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Bridge Over the River Kwai, To Kill a Mockingbird, Ben-Hur, etc. - lots of book-adaptations on the list that I either have read, or wanted to read before watching the flick. I'm a little more relaxed and less arbitrarily scrupulous about such things now though... if that's also what you mean by "used to"?

(But definitely read the Kesey; it's fantastic! I will finally watch the movie soon, to see how it compares or not...)

Post by ... »

Aamir Khan stars in (at least) 5 movies on the list... am I mistaken, or is that quite remarkable, for one Indian actor
The cult of Aamir Khan is odd to me, but seems real enough. I occasionally converse with people who are relatively new to Indian films and they fell right into it as well, just raving about how great he is. I've got nothing against him myself, he's been fine to good in handful of movies I've seen him in, but I've yet to be bowled over by him as the kind of raves he gets suggest, even when watching the same movies others love him in. But then again I also have absolutely zero interest to watch PK or Like Stars on Earth, so there's probably some connection between the types of roles/emotions people like and his popularity that I'm never gonna get.

I've seen 194 or so, would be interested in seeing maybe 10 or so more, no interest in ever seeing the rest. According to the list, I must be really missing out by ignoring those late Clint Eastwood movies, but that's a burden I think I can bear.
Last edited by ... on Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

Yeah, it's like I used to make a point of watching a director's debut before I watched their other stuff and now I don't give a shit about these things. Little Women has been on my to-read radar for a very long time but I went to see the film and enjoyed it anyway.
greennui

Post by greennui »

217/250. All unseen films are from the 21st century, mostly Superhero, Bollywood, Oscars season fare that I doubt I'll ever watch.
flip

Post by flip »

i've seen exactly 200 of the 250, i'd need to watch more superhero and animated films to raise that number

several films i like a lot on the list, harakiri, ikiru, high and low, rear window, and sherlock jr among them.

but i've also rated about 10% of the list with the lowest possible rating on imdb, 1/10, so quite a few films i absolutely hated on the list, including the shawshank redemption, fight club, braveheart, a beautiful mind and gone girl.
wba

Post by wba »

Such a bland list, it bores me to even look at it.

I used to have some 210/250 some 15 years ago.
Now it's 160/250 or such, cause I am so not interested in all the stuff on the list from the 21st century.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Seen 155, and I don't care to get it higher. I agree, a deeply bland list. Of course, for me, any list that is so heavily weighted toward the last 40 years of filmmaking will be of lesser interest, but even by the standards of such lists, it's especially bland.

Still a few classics on it that I haven't seen yet: Ace in the Hole, Ikiru, Wages of Fear, Ben-Hur...
rischka

Post by rischka »

SRK >>> AAMIR KHAN

also SHICHININ NO SAMURAI is probably the only film in the top 20 that actually deserves to be higher 8-)

ANTIFA 4-EVA

greennui

Post by greennui »

Letterboxd's 250:

https://letterboxd.com/visdave34/list/o ... ure-films/

Both amazed and pleased to see films like Edvard Munch and Manila In the Claws of Light on it.
Last edited by greennui on Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rischka

Post by rischka »

lol ex-mubi users should get credit

ANTIFA 4-EVA

MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

The Letterboxd list is definitely better, seen 149 of those. Funny mix of IMDB and TSPDT with some random stuff thrown in. Highest unseen is Harakiri which is also up there on the IMDB list as well as #1 on ICM's 'Most Favourited' list, so maybe I should get on that.
Ace in the Hole, Ikiru, Wages of Fear
All three are really great! I also love Friedkin's remake of the last one, Sorcerer.
greennui

Post by greennui »

You can tell there's a lot of Brazilians on letterboxd.
nrh

Post by nrh »

the weird thing with aamir is that pk and dangal both broke box office records in china...

edit - highest unseen is shawshank redemption
john ryan

Post by john ryan »

3 Idiots, Like Stars on Earth, and Dangal are all on Netflix in the US. They're all Aamir pictures and also the highest entries on the list I haven't seen. I watched PK on netflix last night for the 2014 poll. Since Holymanm is clearly trying to ruin my life, I guess I'm going to watch all of these.

Hated PK. Neither its intended whimsical charms nor Aamir's "alien" facial expressions had any effect on me.
nrh

Post by nrh »

john ryan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:06 pm 3 Idiots, Like Stars on Earth, and Dangal are all on Netflix in the US.
please under absolutely no circumstances watch either 3 idiots or taare zameen par. however much you hated pk i can promise you with that taare zameen par is worse.
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

Agree it's a lousy list. I've watched 206/250, but there are a lot of superhero movies I have no interest in.

Highest unseen - The Dark Knight (#4)
Worst on the list - Million Dollar Baby or V for Vendetta
Highest-ranked great film - #39 Modern Times (though I like Parasite, Spirited Away, and a couple more higher up)
Most baffling - The Shawshank Redemption... I've asked a lot of people and read reviews, and I still don't understand the appeal
Most want to watch - Judgment at Nuremberg and Green Book, the only Best Picture Oscar winner I haven't seen

I just watched PK. @JohnRyan... you're right, and I'm surprised Aamir Khan allowed them to make him look so goofy.

I've seen 222 from the Letterboxd list; highest unseen is A Dog's Will (#8).

On a side note, I'd be curious what everyone's favorite checklists are... probably worth a separate thread.
therouxxx

Post by therouxxx »

nrh wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:24 pm
please under absolutely no circumstances watch either 3 idiots or taare zameen par. however much you hated pk i can promise you with that taare zameen par is worse.
There's a Tamil remake of 3 Idiots directed by Shankar, which I assume is better.. Curious if anyone would actually vouch for it though..

Post by ... »

Eh, I found 3 Idiots to be fine, nothing worth seeking out, but pretty much the equivalent of most mass audience pleasing studio work, no worse than, say, Shawshank or many others on the list. A few mild chuckles, some decent production values, airy moralizing constructed to maximize audience feels that starts to fall apart the more one thinks about it, but no one is really being asked to think about it too much, plus it has Kareena Kapoor, which gives it a bit of a leg up on most other films of its ilk if nothing else.