1979 poll

Lencho of the Apes

Re: 1979 poll

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

Lady Oscar by M. Jacques Demy.

Gender and class as fluid categories for people to play with at will, a charming fairytale that pretends social boundaries don't exist for anyone that chooses to ignore them. Recommended to anyone that's fans of him and seems like Evelyn-bait in particular.

EDIT: One bad ahistorical blunder in the dialogue, but forgivable I guess in terms of 1979 scholarship.
3 lady o.jpg
3 lady o.jpg (17.54 KiB) Viewed 3844 times
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Lencho of the Apes wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:59 pm Lady Oscar by M. Jacques Demy.

Gender and class as fluid categories for people to play with at will, a charming fairytale that pretends social boundaries don't exist for anyone that chooses to ignore them. Recommended to anyone that's fans of him and seems like Evelyn-bait in particular.
Oh, thanks Lencho :D ! Yeah, I remember Carlos V. had a glowing review of this that made me think it'd be very much my thing. Sounds very poignant and resonant, and the French Rev background would be really interesting too. I don't think I have the emotional wherewithal at the mo to face a movie so close to home, but I'll keep it in mind for when I next have the headspace for that sort of thing.

As for the fluidity piece, just an FYI that if a movie represents characters' gender identities as fluid it would actually be speaking to an experience of gender I take to be quite different from my own. I don't identify with fluidity myself, though I believe it's perfectly valid for people who are indeed genderfluid. For me, I feel my gender identity has been static throughout my life. So movies that would resonate directly with my experience would be movies about gals who are misperceived as not gals and who are trying to change that. Hope that makes sense!
Lencho of the Apes

Yeah, I didn't think it spoke directly to your experience, just that it fitted into the space where your experience informs your aesthetic interests.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Lencho of the Apes wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:21 pm Yeah, I didn't think it spoke directly to your experience, just that it fitted into the space where your experience informs your aesthetic interests.
Oh great, right-o! Yeah, I'm sure it would fit into that space. I'll be sure to check it out soon -- thanks again for the rec!
nrh

Post by nrh »

rose of versailles, the animated version of the book demy was supposed to be adapting, also released in '79 and it's genuinely terrific, even though (if i remember correctly) it only truly hits its style when osamu dezaki takes over directing halfway through.
greennui

Post by greennui »

Sunyeo aka Water Lady aka Woman of Water (Kim Ki-young) - Seeing as I loved Kim's Woman of Fire I suspected that I would like this one as well which indeed I did. A misanthropic melodrama fully in line with my melodrama sensibilities.

thoxans

Post by thoxans »

OVER the EDGE (Jonathan Kaplan)

elvis (john carpenter)
gol maal (hrishikesh mukherjee)
kid with the golden arm (chang cheh)
lupin the third: the castle of cagliostro (hayao miyazaki)
real life (albert brooks)
ten tigers of kwangtung (chang cheh)
the warriors (walter hill)
Last edited by thoxans on Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

Roscoe wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:06 pmBEING THERE
to me, the funny thing about being there is i remember absolutely nothing about being there, other than being there when i watched being there. sellers didn't blow me away (tho he never has tbh), and ashby does his typically perfectly fine (if unexceptional) job per usual, but i don't really recall anything in particular astounding about it. maybe i need to give it another watch, but i've just never felt the need for a revisit. the title says it all, for better or worse, it's just a movie, that's being there, waiting to be watched, eventually, by those, who, also, are being there, when being there happens to, you know, be there
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

Roscoe wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:06 pm BEING THERE in particular seems to have made us all a little too comfortable with the idea of an idiot in the White House.
Don't you think in Being There, the joke is on all the other characters? If anything, it's a warning that people will gravitate towards any idiot, don't think it's an endorsement. Of course the ending kind of throws the whole thing into question.

Added Lupin the Third which is great fun, hope to see some more stuff before the deadline.
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Yeah, that's the point of BEING THERE, it's not an endorsement. But in making Chance so gol-durn lovable and even giving him Christ Super Powers, the edge is blunted. Reality has, shall we say, trumped the fantasy here.
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
rischka

Post by rischka »

guys i'm BACK

raining in the mountain (king hu)
dalla nube alla resistenza (straub/huillet)
bildnis einer trinkerin (ottinger)
dirty ho (kar leung lau)
kummatty (aravindan)
siberiade (konchalovsky)
messidor(tanner)
a walk through h (greenaway)
magnificent butcher (sammo)
mad monkey kung fu (kar leung lau)
over the edge (kaplan)
alien (ridley scott)
the brood (carpenter)
the marriage of maria braun (fassbinder)
ballad of tara (beizai)
arrebato (zulueta)
tall shadows of the wind (farmanara)
legend of the mountain (king hu)

left out stalker, apocalypse now and all that jazz as i probably need to see them again

also have

full moon scimitar
the hamburg syndrome
hunter in the dark
lady oscar
nacionalna klasa do 785 ccm
radio on
real life
ten tigers of kwangtung
woyzeck
the magnificent ruffians
spiritual boxer 2
saint jack
west indies
christ stopped at eboli
quintet
the proud twins
the evil deeds of cheriyachan
ek din pratidin
Last edited by rischka on Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Evelyn Library P.I.

The Humanoid (Aldo Lado, as George B. Lewis) -- I don't like Star Wars, but I maybe like Italian Star Wars knockoffs with showy roles for Arthur Kennedy.

Image Image Image
greennui

Post by greennui »

From the Clouds to the Resistance (Huillet/Straub) - Well, I understood very little of it but I enjoyed looking at it. I'm looking forward to revisiting it again at some point and hopefully get a better grasp of it then.

Mario Gaborovic

Post by Mario Gaborovic »

Life of Brian (Gilliam)

Over the Edge (Kaplan)
Sonagi (Go)
Amator (Kieślowski)
La tia Alejandra (Ripstein)
Nacionalna klasa (Marković)
Mad Max (Miller)
Quadrophenia (Roddam)
Barierata (Christov)
Hair (Forman)
Escape from Alcatraz (Siegel)
Apocalypse Now (Coppola)
The Jerk (Reiner)
Scum (Clarke)
Jovana Lukina (Nikolić)
Čovjek koga treba ubiti (Bulajić)
Kramer vs Kramer (Benton)
Alien (Scott)
Hukkunud Alpinisti' hotell (Kromanov)
The Plumber (Weir)
Last edited by Mario Gaborovic on Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rischka

Post by rischka »

watching die hamburger krankheit obviously

ANTIFA 4-EVA

thoxans

Post by thoxans »

my german is a little rusty but i'm pretty sure the english translation of that title is the grouchy sandwich
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

the hamburger sickness

german is the best language cos literally every word you learn elucidates some english etymology. krank means sick. certainly why we call doctors cranks, i am guessing

also it's easy as shit to learn more words. krankenhaus? hosptital. krankenwagen? ambulance. zuckerkrank? zucker means sugar... so that's a diabetic!
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
Lencho of the Apes

There's also an El Año de la Peste by Felipe Cazals for 1979. Not sure about subtitles or clean copies. Can't find any good screencaps, but I remember vivid yellow hazmat suits...
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

bure wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:49 pmgerman is the best language cos literally every word you learn elucidates some english etymology
still recall one of my undergrad linguistics profs saying german was the easiest language to learn for native english speakers for that exact reason. always thought that was interesting, even though i find it an unpleasant language overall. one too many notes that sound like someone clearing their throat. i'm down for all the sausages and bier tho! :drinking:
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

my spanish is also a little rusty but i'm pretty sure the english translation of that film lota is referring to is the year of the sauce of crushed basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, parmesan cheese, and olive oil
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

thoxans wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:48 am one too many notes that sound like someone clearing their throat.
That's true, but Dutch is even more extreme. A Dutchman once told me his language was "like a strange throat disease."
greennui

Post by greennui »

Umbugbene wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:22 am
thoxans wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:48 am one too many notes that sound like someone clearing their throat.
That's true, but Dutch is even more extreme. A Dutchman once told me his language was "like a strange throat disease."
That's pretty much what the rest of Scandinavia thinks of Danish as well.
oscarwerner

Post by oscarwerner »

My final list:
1-Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola)-my top hit
-------------------------------------------------
Other 19 in random order:
2-Kramer vs Kramer (Robert Benton)
3- Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky)
4-Manhattan (Woody Allen)
5-Escape from Alcatraz (Don Siegel)
6-Alien (Ridley Scott)
7-A Little Romance (George Roy Hill)
8-The China Syndrome (James Bridges)
9-All That Jazz (Bob Fosse)
10-Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (Werner Herzog)
------------
11-Luna (Bernardo Bertolucci)
12-Being There (Hal Ashby)
13-Mad Max ( George Miller)
14-The Warriors (Walter Hill)
15-Monty Python's Life of Brian (Terry Jones)
16-The Tin Drum (Volker Schlöndorff)
17-The Maids of Wilko (Andrzej Wajda)
18-The Marriage of Maria Braun ( Rainer Werner Fassbinder)
19-Tess (Roman Polanski)
20-Hair (Milos Forman)
Lencho of the Apes

thoxans wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:51 am crushed basil leaves and olive oil
Good guess, but it's actually a band doc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiW_HFambGs
Lencho of the Apes

Surprised how off-everyone's-radar Jarman's The Tempest is. Definite contender for my list, now that I've seen it. Two scfz views on LB, and greennui has it on his watchlist. Him in particular that I was going to recommend it to, so yippee for that. (Is that a masque at the end, or is that a masque?)
3 tem 1.jpg
3 tem 1.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
3 tem 2.jpg
3 tem 2.jpg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
3 tem 3.jpg
3 tem 3.jpg (25.92 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
nrh

Post by nrh »

i adore jarman but always thought tempest was kind of minor, that last sequence (which i find incredibly moving) notwithstanding. but i'm much older now and maybe it's worth a rewatch...
Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

The Battle of Chile - Patricio Guzman
Hardcore - Paul Schrader
Nosferatu - Werner Herzog
Manhattan - Woody Allen
All That Jazz - Bob Fosse
Stalker - Andre Tarkovsky
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

gol maal (hrishikesh mukherjee) delightful! societal/familial structures deconstructed/reconstructed. but it's all so much simpler than that. the caste/class commentary is hidden within a nice little setup that we've seen a million times before, which still doesn't detract cuz it's so well done. liked the pacing here. leisurely, but not overlong. nancy meyers should watch this, if she hasn't already. it's a snowball film in that one thing becomes another thing becomes another and so on and on and on. it's very situational, sure, but oh so likable. there are sneaky reflexive moments (which seem to be an indian film-thing, the more i watch), the film-within-a-film, acknowledgement of the situational setup, then playing it out like nothing ever happened. cleverness without being cringey. it's got a breezy feel to it, don't know how else to describe it. if you don't watch it for this poll, then watch it on a relaxing summer day, with the windows open, birds chirping outside (which is how i watched it, thx to global warming, and freakishly warm temps in mid-march). added to my list, and thinking about growing a mustache
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

Lencho of the Apes wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:26 pmJarman
never seen a jarman flick, or a monteiro flick, but monteiro says some funny things that forever make me think of other certain flickmakers, for better or worse

i'd watch a jarman flick tho. just ain't gotten around to it yet
rischka

Post by rischka »

is this a color of pomegranates reference in the 19th century georgian chronicle? :think:

ANTIFA 4-EVA