Dreams

Lencho of the Apes

Re: Dreams

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

(How acid-damaged/just-plain-nuts do I want to sound?) (What the hell, go all in!)

I had one of those dreams last night that feel as though I'm being schooled in metaphysics by other-dimensional beings: I was watching a movie being filmed, apparently called The Mongols. It wasn't the John Wayne movie, the male lead might have been Jose Pulido. At the same time, I was absorbing some kind of critical writing about the movie that stressed the importance of the physical material of celluloid-strip in the formation of the movie's universe -- something about "the celluloid loves the image, and the images love the celluloid."

I woke up long enough for a few fragments of the dream to register, and then I kept coming back to it during the next three sleep-cycles, puzzling out a few little additional details... and then during the fourth sleep cycle, when it was time to get out of bed and start my day, I woke up thinking about the difference between transsubstantistion and consubstantiation. Hello, Sunday!

What I finally decided the dream wanted me to think about was the idea that the way we humans in this plane of reality are embedded in our physical universe is somehow analogous to the way people/things on film are embedded in celluloid. Something akin to that thing about our reality being a hologram maybe, and congruent with vibes I've picked up from Tscherkassy's Outer Space movie and Ruiz's De Grands Evenements... documentary.

I'll shut up now.
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

i blame today's youth for the lack of good readily available psychs
Lencho of the Apes

Oddly enough, I've only tripped three times in my life -- the mushroom gods bitch-slapped me one night in 1979, and I swore off for awhile. Turned out to be a very long while. I think I'm ready to start up again, though. Got any peyote?

Sidebar: the dispensaries aren't expected to ramp up their game to meet the demand for newly-legalized marijuana here until next April. Counting the days.
flip

Post by flip »

Lencho of the Apes wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:56 am I was watching a movie being filmed, apparently called The Mongols. It wasn't the John Wayne movie
Parviz Kimiavi directed a film called The Mongols (1973), of all the Iranian films I've seen, it is the most bananas. That makes it hard to generally recommend, but I think it's amazing. I doubt it's the film you were dreaming of, but it seems slightly more likely to be than the Andre de Toth pic.
rischka

Post by rischka »

Sidebar: the dispensaries aren't expected to ramp up their game to meet the demand for newly-legalized marijuana here until next April. Counting the days.
my bro has a card 8-) i hear you on the mushrooms. yuck
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
greennui

Post by greennui »

Had a really dull dream last night in which I was studying theology in a monastery, for some reason my studying partner was a patronizing co-worker that I'm struggling to socialize with. She was going on about her latest diet plan and my hands were all dusty from browsing through old books but I couldn't find anywhere to wash my hands. Kinda relieved to wake up tbh.
rischka

Post by rischka »

i dreamed i was out somewhere and forgot my mask. lol
Kinda relieved to wake up tbh.

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Lencho of the Apes

flip wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:14 am Mongols
"Bananass" is a selling point, I'll look for that.

Not to be morbid, but the,mortality stats attached to the de Toth picture might have been what brought it to mind.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

DREAM #10

i dreamt (in Prague) about affording a house in O.
(as if i would have lost my current O. mansion and was trying to get another one instead.)
the new house was situated in a different (near the pond) part of O. (than my current dwelling place).
rough construction of the house was already done.
the house was part of a bigger development project (of several new houses).
i was supposed to do the payment and then omplete the construction on my own.
in charge of the whole development was Mr. XY (after waking up, i forgot his name, but in the dream, i knew it).
i approached him but he was too busy at the moment so we made a later appointment.
but meanwhile (still remembering his name), i forgot how he looks like.
so, when i came back for an appointment on a construction site i had to ask several ppl around about their identity to figure out who Mr. XY is.
it was awkward and i looked like a wacko.
Mr. XY thus became suspicious about my credibility.
moreover, it turned out his new house is next to my new house, so the prospect of having a wacko as a neighbor made him openly inimical to me.
as a result, he started discouraging me from buying a house.
he was questioning (with undisguised disbelief) if my monetary assets are vast enough to acquire a house.
after i assured him i have enough bucks, he said i am supposed to pay 120.000 CZK instantly which is my payment share of the wood (going to be bought collectively for the facades of all the houses).
obviously, he tried to put me under instant financial pressure.
houses which were part of this development project were not at all similar to each other (clearly, there was not a single all-encompassing consistent concept), so seemed to me strange all these houses are gonna get fully synchronized facades.
but Mr. XY left any room for doubt.
he said wood for all the facades is already on the way.
after i will pay the bill and get my wood allotment, i am supposed to cut the trunks in the prescribed length, then split blocks into logs and attach logs on the facade according to the designed pattern.
after saying this he left me (our business meeting was over in his view).
to be honest, i was not pleased by the idea i will live in a house characterized by uniform kitschy rusticality.
however, i wished to have the house in O. and this seemed like the only chance.
so, i tried to convince myself that if all the houses of the development will have logs of wood attached to facades in a common pattern it might ultimately look not that bad, it might even have some naive charm, etc., etc., etc., bla-bla-bla-bla-bla.
after a moment of such contemplation, i turned my focus again outwards and saw Mr. XY to be back at work on the construction site.
strangely enough, his working suit was supplemented with a mismatched hat.
it was a red (hue of boiling blood) hat with a wide circular brim and rounded crown.
such a hat is called "cappello romano" (Roman hat) or "saturno" (due to similarity with the ringed planet Saturn) and is usually worn by high-range clerics.
suddenly, i knew Mr. XY is a high-profile crook and if i continue trying to afford the house in O., i will get completely stripped off of all my monetary assets and will ultimately even lose the acquired house due to unscrupulous schemes of the "false cardinal".
the prospect of becoming soon without a penny and homeless (due to some dirty real estate adventure) made me to wake up.

Last edited by niminy-piminy on Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:48 am, edited 11 times in total.
nrh

Post by nrh »

rischka wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:50 am i dreamed i was out somewhere and forgot my mask. lol
it's very strange, i rarely have dreams that have any kind of direct or indexical relationship to my life, at least in terms of people/places/things that are transparent enough that i can identify them immediately, but the mask thing has come up several times in dreams for me these last few months. can't think of anything similar in my recent memory.
rischka

Post by rischka »

that's a beautiful hat :)

ANTIFA 4-EVA

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

rischka wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:09 pm that's a beautiful hat :)
available at Euroclero (the clerical clothing store) but only in black or white...
https://euroclero.it/it/37-cappelli-romani
if you insist on the hue of boiling blood, then choose either "zucchetto" or "berrette"...
https://euroclero.it/it/35-zucchetti
https://euroclero.it/it/39-berrette

or buy a black saturno with red chord at Ecclesiastical Tailoring...

in antique shops, you can also find a putto (chubby cherub — a symbol of peace, prosperity, mirth, and leisure) wearing saturno...

but don't do any real estate business with ppl wearing saturno. i warn you!
(unless you wear saturno yourself as well.)
oke, i know i tend to mansplain.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

omg, Mr. XY was maybe not wearing red saturno but red galero???
i am puzzled!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galero
Over the centuries, the red galero was restricted to use by individual cardinals while such other colors as green and violet were reserved to clergy of other ranks and styles.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

so, it seems i really dreamt about galero and not saturno.
according to the article called How Do Cardinals Choose Which Funny Hat to Wear? galero was banned in 1969 which is prolly the reason i perceived Mr. XY as "false cardinal".
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... -hats.html
Cardinals are also strongly associated with the wide-brimmed galero (pl. galeri), which resembles a cowboy hat but with two long sets of tassels. The galero was once the signature hat of the cardinal. The lowering of the galero was “the highlight of the investiture ceremony” that inducted new cardinals. But the Catholic Church, like so many people, found the 1960s to be a time of radical change in fashions. In 1967, Pope Paul VI began to crown cardinals by bestowing birettas instead of galeri, in a move toward humbler headwear, and in 1969 he abolished those hats altogether. Despite the papal decree, there are some who would like to keep the galero alive, however. American cardinal Raymond Burke was spotted apparently trying to bring back the vintage hat, and cardinals may still feature it in their coats of arms.
Whereas other clergymen follow fairly constricting guidelines when it comes to their ceremonial garb—cardinals wear red, bishops wear purple, and priests wear black—popes are free to choose different colors and start their own trends. Few have taken advantage of this freedom like the recently retired Pope Benedict XVI, who was known for wearing a wide variety of headwear. For example, Benedict was known to sport a saturno, a wide-brimmed hat similar to the galero.
Cardinals wear ... hats in red, which symbolizes how each cardinal should be willing to spill his blood for the church.
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

to resolve if a putto wears saturno or galero is beyond my proves (prolly galero).
all of you decide for yourself!
i feel exhausted by all the lately silly hat studies.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

dreams are capable to raise many cardinal questions!
After the cappa magna, a 30-foot train of silk that was carried behind the cardinal, was abolished in 1952, a group of Roman cardinals petitioned for its return. Pope John XXIII allowed it, saying, “A bit of vanity is good for the Church.”
rischka

Post by rischka »

dreamed i was caught in a mass shooting. feeling attacked from all sides i guess :evil:

jiri your delightful fashion posts have already made me feel better :cry:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

ok i was at a crazy party in navajoland. and two of my friends got in a fight and took off in my car. and i lost my phone. but someone found them and brought them back and we wandered on home. i guess my psyche feels like things are ok now lol. such a headache tho. i need coffee

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Lencho of the Apes

I had a '97-poll dream, a mash-up of Starship Troopers, Iruvar and J.W.'s Hips -- I was some kind of media figure, and at first I was in charge of making subtitles (or some other kind of changes) to S.T., to create a new version that would enable "the bugs" to understand our position. Then eight unhappy-looking women came in and told me my show had been cancelled. One of them started crying, and she blubbered "All those hours I spent improvising comedy sketches and monologues about the meaningless and futility of life -- all that time was wasted!"

Oh, the irony...
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

epic dream last night. one of those that seems like it goes on all night. went to a party at nrh and seema's house. they lived in a nice two story house in the suburbs of some city. i cooked fried shrimp cuz that's something i do for special occasions/big get-togethers. at one point, the oil got too hot, and i stupidly poured water in it to cool it down, and of course this created a grease fire, but it was promptly put out, and everyone laughed it off. the rest of the party, everyone kept jokingly calling me chef, but the shrimp were a big hit nonetheless. then my toddler was there, but in the dream he wasn't my toddler. he was someone else's kid, but he was really into hanging out with me, and cuz i'm not really one to mingle at parties, i ended up hanging out with the little dude. then the party changed gears, and the events became more like a movie. there was something about drugs, and a cop, and wilfred brimley jr. was there. i ended up at a shopping mall somehow, at an arcade. the videogames were all massive, with huge screens all over the place, and i was trying to escape from the cop. then somehow ended up at a marina with nrh. the cop had found a bookbag full of drugs on a boat that belonged to nrh, and he was dumping out the evidence all over the dock. nrh and i both had bruises and cuts and scrapes on our faces, as if we'd been beaten up by the cop, and we figured this was it. we were done for. then wilfred brimley jr. came out of nowhere, shot the cop, and we were saved. then i cooked fried shrimp for wilfred brimley jr., he smiled with his big old white mustache, and that was it. there are a million more details that i'm forgetting cuz the dream started fading fast, as soon as i woke up, but this is a pretty good summary of the whole night

the thing is i can figure out the subconscious meaning behind most of it. been to (and will be going to) more (family) get-togethers recently cuz of the holidays, hence the party. actually did cook fried shrimp irl. assuming it was nrh and seema's party cuz of the thanksgiving cooking pics nrh posted cuz seema in my dream looked just like she did in the pic. nrh didn't look like anyone cuz he wasn't in the pics. the oil getting too hot makes sense cuz when i was cooking shrimp, my thermometer stopped working, so i had to eyeball the temp. my toddler popped up in the dream at the same time that he started stirring during the night irl. wilfred brimley jr. popped up along with the movie subplot cuz sydney pollack's the firm was the last movie that was on tv before i fell asleep. and the arcade makes sense cuz i just got witcher 3, and have been playing that over the past couple weeks. the bruises and cuts and scrapes on my face and nrh's face were basically nrh's avatar. also, wilfred brimley jr. is a stand-in for santa claus. so it all makes sense, even though none of it does
rischka

Post by rischka »

All Cops Are Bastards

ANTIFA 4-EVA

thoxans

Post by thoxans »

pretty sure the cop crime subplot was cuz of the recent dominik graf poll
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

thoxans wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:37 pm so it all makes sense, even though none of it does
i like all the real-life references to the dream occurrences and it makes perfect sense!
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Wait T you have a kid? Did not see that one coming...you are one of the more open (about their life) SCFZers, but also very mysterious
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
nrh

Post by nrh »

in honor of tom waits birthday i had an elaborate dream about a week ago where at the center, i can't quite remember the context, i went to see a movie that jim jarmusch made after down by law starring and written by waits. it was in color, very searingly bright color, something like the texture of ossang's docteur chance. it was called tusks and waits played the owner and operator of a small rural motel, not unlike the one in tobe hooper's eaten alive. the title came from the room where the waits character lived and worked, which was filled with enormous stuffed and mounted heads of tusked and horned animals. when the room was revealed to the audience he sang a song on a small piano or harpsichord that went "tusks tusks tusks, they all have tusks," or something like that. i wish i could remember more of the movie, which seemed a lot better than that memphis one jarmusch ended up making instead.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

SAD_SCROOGE wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:56 pmWait
pretty scary thought, huh? he mostly just likes to drink milk, eat dino nuggets, and watch peppa pig rn, but one of these days he'll be a super champ, and we'll watch baahubali together, cuz the beginning was the last flick i watched before he was born, and the conclusion was the first one i watched after. had a name not already been decided upon, def woulda named him baahubali, and he'd have been the biggest badass on the playground
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Haha Peppa pig is my niece's fav as well
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
rischka

Post by rischka »

i was at a crazy party with a bunch of frenchies. it may have been godard's bday party as he was there. at first i was trying to sleep but then i decided to join. late at night we went out to the beach and buried a guy in the sand. he said he wanted to kill himself this way. i gave him a last kiss and we covered him. the next day no one believed this happened. this is probably to do with an old boyfriend of mine suddenly dropping dead this week. a strange feeling. he's married with kids now and it happened in front of all of them which is so horrible. goodbye chris

film references: apres mai and taste of cherry

ANTIFA 4-EVA

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

ROUGH (Markus Busch, 2011)
https://letterboxd.com/film/rough-2011/
I had a dream about you.
You were double.
One half of you was in the shop, here in the village.
You'd just bought something.
Two rabbits.
Live rabbits.
But at the checkout, they were suddenly packaged.
They were shrink-wrapped in plastic but they were still moving.
And at the same time, you were down by the water.
You were walking to and fro.
Some horses came chasing after you.
They knocked you down, but you got to your feet again.
Nightfall came suddenly, and the horses disappeared in the darkness.
You knelt down in the sand and rubbed it onto your skin.
And your skin got lighter and lighter until it seemed to glow from within.
You laughed the whole time.
I saw you, from above, from the dyke.
I called out your name, but you didn't hear me.
You just laughted the whole time.
I was so happy all of a sudden.
And then your belly burst open and the rabbits came out of it.
nrh

Post by nrh »

yesterday seema told me she had a dream where we had adopted several very small dogs with blue, wiry hair. they were so small she felt very nervous about stepping on them, because they'd be terribly hurt.

the same day i woke up very early in the morning and watched a movie. much later i showed her a dog i thought was cute in the film, and she said it was the same basic dog, just not blue.