31 Days of October

brian d

Re: 31 Days of October

Post by brian d »

witchka wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:23 pm Image

halloweenie strikes again :cowboy:
is that the witch who came from the sea? i'm about an hour into it but haven't had time to finish it up. maybe the most deceptive movie poster ever?
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
greennui

Post by greennui »

The poster art of the witch holding a severed head was taken from the cover of Warren Comic's VAMPIRELLA #11 (May 1971).
Writer Robert Thom drafted the script in a manic haze from his hospital bed, an IV drip needled into his vein. Thom had grown very ill, and his then-wife, actor Millie Perkins, was struggling to pay his hospital bills. They were destitute and stressed, and the only thing Thom could do was write. So he conjured a story, half-torn from Perkins’ own childhood with a doting sailor father and half from his own fraught childhood, with a pinch of psychological horror tropes to spice it up. Whatever would sell it; they needed the money for healthcare.
rischka

Post by rischka »

Wow great story. It is a fever dream
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
pabs

Post by pabs »

I saw The Company of Wolves (Jordan, 1984) last night and it was ok, though never scarey, unless you consider teenage girls' sexual-awakening to be frightening. That's three films I've seen so far for this scfz fest, and next I hope to see the sequel to The Exorcist, The Heretic.

5.5/10

I've also been watching a 1965 tv-miniseries directed by Claude Barma called Belphégor, about a legendary ghost that's said to haunt the Louvre museum. The story's wrapped around the criminal goings-on of members of a secret society and a university student who pokes his nose where he shouldn't, but it's a low-powered thriller, and definitely not a ghost story, so it doesn't qualify as halloween fodder and I've had to strike it from that list.
rischka

Post by rischka »

so tell us what you thought brian?!

need to see some more 1915s but i'm having a lot of fun with the last warning ♥♥♥ paul leni. i didn't know this was a sort of sequel to the cat and the canary

https://twitter.com/rbgscfz/status/1321 ... 67104?s=20

ANTIFA 4-EVA

brian d

Post by brian d »

still haven't finished it. not much time for movie watching recently. i'll probably finish it up over the weekend.
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
sally

Post by sally »

i watched half of ghostwatch and a week later am still super-fast turning all the lights on in dark rooms so that's me done with scary for another 10 years, here's something that made me go YAY instead

https://twitter.com/dcairns/status/1322273467614547968
FLABREZU

Post by FLABREZU »

I've now seen all three Hell House LLC movies, and let me tell you, the first one is definitely the best of the bunch!
Silga

Post by Silga »

It's that time of the year again!

House on Haunted Hill (William Castle, 1959) 5/10

Atmospheric and well acted, but something is missing.. It just feels incomplete. Vincent Price is marvelously suave as always.

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Whatever else can be said of HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL, there's that glorious moment in the opening narration where Vincent Price says of the wife he clearly detests that "she's so amusing."
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
Silga

Post by Silga »

The banter between Vincent Price's character and his wife is definitely the highlight of this film.

Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

I just learned that Kino Lorber has started a FREE streaming service called Kino Cult: https://www.kinocult.com/ Pretty much all the titles on it are Halloween fare. You don't even have to make an account to stream the movies. It looks pretty awesome, and I'll definitely be using it this October.
greennui

Post by greennui »

My goal is to reach 150 favs. Open for recs!

https://letterboxd.com/greennui/list/ph ... e-top-132/
Silga

Post by Silga »

They Live (John Carpenter, 1988) 4/10

Given how much I love various films by John Carpenter, it was a real bummer to watch this inexplicable, horribly acted and even worse directed travesty of a film. It has potential and with a more talented cast and a better writer this could have been made into a decent film with some coherent commentary on capitalism and consumerism. Of course there are cool moments, already legendary quotes, but as a whole nothing really works and, now that I've finally saw it, I will have an even harder time to figure out how it got this premium reputation and high ratings..

Roddy Piper's performance is one of the worst I've ever seen. What were you thinking, John?
rischka

Post by rischka »

i watched an obayashi ghost story the discarnates (1988) on the cinephobe.tv. it's a touching story of a man reuniting with his (long-dead) parents. i'm only waatching stuff i can stream till i'm back home but i'll get to a few

ANTIFA 4-EVA

pabs

Post by pabs »

I've been keeping a folder of Halloween films and adding a few more to it every year. I'll stop collecting now as I never end up watching more than a few whenever October rolls in, and if I keep collecting it's going to get out of hand. :|

So here's what I've squirreled away (but still haven't seen) over the years during scfz's october horror-fests:

wba

Post by wba »

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:14 pm I just learned that Kino Lorber has started a FREE streaming service called Kino Cult: https://www.kinocult.com/ Pretty much all the titles on it are Halloween fare. You don't even have to make an account to stream the movies. It looks pretty awesome, and I'll definitely be using it this October.
Hmm, I only get to see/watch one film on it, and it seems to be an extemely cheap amateur horror film from Slovenia(?!?) - so I don't need eglish subs, for once :D - but all I constantly get are dozens of ads, and I haven't watched more than 30 seconds of the actual film? ... what am I doing wrong?
Where are all the movies?
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

wba wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:17 am
Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:14 pm I just learned that Kino Lorber has started a FREE streaming service called Kino Cult: https://www.kinocult.com/ Pretty much all the titles on it are Halloween fare. You don't even have to make an account to stream the movies. It looks pretty awesome, and I'll definitely be using it this October.
Hmm, I only get to see/watch one film on it, and it seems to be an extemely cheap amateur horror film from Slovenia(?!?) - so I don't need eglish subs, for once :D - but all I constantly get are dozens of ads, and I haven't watched more than 30 seconds of the actual film? ... what am I doing wrong?
Hmmm, I'm not sure, but my guess would be that Kino doesn't have global streaming rights for a lot of these movies, perhaps just Region 1. There's about 40 movies available for me. They say "Watch anywhere 24/7," so I assumed it would be all-region, but I guess that's just misleading marketing lingo.
wba

Post by wba »

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:33 am
wba wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:17 am
Hmmm, I'm not sure, but my guess would be that Kino doesn't have global streaming rights for a lot of these movies, perhaps just Region 1. There's about 40 movies available for me. They say "Watch anywhere 24/7," so I assumed it would be all-region, but I guess that's just misleading marketing lingo.
Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the info!
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Silga

Post by Silga »

In the Mouth of Madness (John Carpenter, 1994) 6/10

Another Carpenter and a more successful one after They Live left me extremely disappointed. Sam Neill is a great actor and he has an amazing screen presence that captivates from the very first scene. My complaint would again center on a story development as this feels like another great idea that Carpenter and his crew didn't utilize to its fullest. Nevertheless, it features beautiful cinematography, fine original score and some truly scary and creative moments. I have a hunch that it could only improve on re-watch.
Silga

Post by Silga »

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (Charles Barton, 1948) 5/10

A fun and entertaining Abbott and Costello yarn, though it loses steam in the second half when it trades swift and sharp dialogues for slapsticky running around.

Cat People (Jacques Tourneur, 1942) 9/10

Another magnificent Val Lewton film. Only got a couple more of his horror films left unseen. Lewton was ahead of the times with his themes and perfect auteur touches. Currently my second favorite of Lewton's after I Walked with a Zombie.

The Babadook (Jennifer Kent, 2014) 7/10

Mister Babadook is one scary fella. Scary because it's so true and real for many people.

Rating may go higher after I reflect on this film in the upcoming days.
Silga

Post by Silga »

Frankenstein Unbound (Roger Corman, 1990) 4/10

A weird one for sure. I think it tried to many things at once and got lost in the process. Though I have to admit that there were some brilliant ideas and it definitely could have been a classic Frankenstein story with a twist if only more care and, probably, budget had been involved.

Maniac Cop 2 (William Lustig, 1990) 5/10

Yes, not the highest rating, but it's a lot of fun. I'd have to agree with a popular notion that Maniac Cop 2 is better that its predecessor. If only Joe Spinell lived to make this film a crossover with Maniac (1980).

Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Charles Lamont, 1953) 4/10

Less fun than duo's encounter with Frankenstein. The reason to watch - Boris Karloff. He just exudes charisma and plays a brilliant Dr. Jekyll.

Post by ... »

Frankenstein Unbound, like the Lewton films, are movies where if they had a bigger budget, then they probably couldn't get made as they are since more money generally means less risk. The stakes are higher with more cash involved, more cash means more attention from more people and more attention from more people means more input telling you to do what's already been proven to make a buck. You gotta have freedom to make things that are unusual and freedom doesn't come with a big bankroll very often in film.
Silga

Post by Silga »

greg x wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:27 pm Frankenstein Unbound, like the Lewton films, are movies where if they had a bigger budget, then they probably couldn't get made as they are since more money generally means less risk. The stakes are higher with more cash involved, more cash means more attention from more people and more attention from more people means more input telling you to do what's already been proven to make a buck. You gotta have freedom to make things that are unusual and freedom doesn't come with a big bankroll very often in film.
I guess you're right, Greg, especially about Lewton films. The Body Snatcher was another fine example of how Lewton was able to get away with a tiny budget.
Silga

Post by Silga »

The Body Snatcher (Robert Wise, 1945) 9/10

Again, another masterpiece from Val Lewton and his crew. Robert Wise is an excellent director who is capable of unleashing the grim gothic terror in this terrifying tale about a grave digger and a doctor with questionable practices. Burke and Hare influence is clear and present in the story. Boris Karloff shines through another extraordinary performance.

Eraserhead (David Lynch, 1977) 2/10

"The Guy Has Anxiety - The Movie"

I know that it's a harsh rating and I, perhaps, could see why so many find it a genius work of surrealist film-making, but to me this feels more like a naive attempt from a second-year film student.

The Hidden (Jack Sholder, 1987) 7/10

The most fun I had this month. Extremely well-paced and brilliantly edited. A great body-hopping sci-fi/horror film, just like another favorite of mine - Fallen (1998).
rischka

Post by rischka »

I love the hidden!!

I watched bava's Bay of blood on kinocult. Not one of my favorite bavas but the VERY obvious source of every slasher film ever and bava does everything with style

ANTIFA 4-EVA

nrh

Post by nrh »

the hidden is so great - also one of the very best reagan america was a nightmare movies. and proto twin peaks!

agree that bay of blood is not one of my favorite bavas but he does the cinematography and it is just such a marvel to see how he works.
Silga

Post by Silga »

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Don Siegel, 1956) 8/10

I am a big fan of 1978 version and also very fond of Ferrara's take on this story as well. Don Siegel took on the task to direct the first adaptation of this multi-layered story and he did a brilliant job. The unsettling sense of danger, panic and upcoming doom is presented through a thoughtful narrative and great performances. I absolutely fell in love with Dana Wynter. What an elegant actress and a beautiful lady she was.

The Return of the Living Dead (Dan O'Bannon, 1985) 7/10

I can only blame myself that it took me so long to finally watch this ultra-cool horror comedy. Now I completely understand why it has such a cult following and is so well-regarded. I can't say that everything works fine during the 3rd act, but the build up towards it is spectacular. Dan O'Bannon made some great and inventive directorial choices. A very fitting soundtrack too. I wanted to write an 8, but I'll probably wait for a repeat viewing (most likely next year) to upgraded it's rating.
Had I seen it earlier in my life, it would have definitely become one of my favorite re-watch options for October horror month - a place, currently occupied by the great Tucker & Dale vs. Evil.

Silent Night, Deadly Night (Charles E. Sellier Jr., 1984) 2/10

So bad it's good BAD. Everything from production quality, directing and, most importantly, acting was atrocious. There was a promising premise, but it's been completely wasted. They have been naughty and no good rating comes their way 'tis season.

pabs

Post by pabs »

Rosemary's Baby (Polanski, 1968) rewatch

It's been quite a while since I last saw it, and I was more focussed this time on all that disgusting, frightening, relentless gaslighting of Rosemary by her abusers the whole way through. It was also creepy how the director's own, real-life crime of that era reflects on the tale of a young woman raped. It almost comes across as some kind of weird confession. The dream sequences are particularly captivating. 8/10
rischka

Post by rischka »

i'm trying!

the astro-zombies (1968) - so bad it's bad altho the second half is slightly better. john carradine tries to lend some gravitas. tura santana plays a villain but can't save it

poltergeist (1982) - i've seen this many times and it's still silly but it works. much more spielberg than tobe hooper ofc

burnt offerings (1976) - bette davis in one of those late career diva roles. ollie reed and karen black are the creepiest parents i've seen in awhile. manages to build some atmosphere on what looks like a tv budget

ANTIFA 4-EVA