SCFZ poll: Lau Kar-leung

nrh

Re: SCFZ poll: Lau Kar-leung

Post by nrh »

legend of the drunken master had a pretty big theatrical and home video release by miramax in the 90s (with their usual weird cuts and changes), selling it very much as a jackie chan vehicle. i don't remember any of the contemporary reviews even mentioning lau directing as something of note. famously he and jackie chan quarreled about the movie, but i've never heard a totally convincing reason as to why.

more surprising is that 36th chamber, one of the most famous martial arts films of the 70s, rated so low (but then it's not in my top 5 either).
flip

Post by flip »

nrh wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:18 pm more surprising is that 36th chamber, one of the most famous martial arts films of the 70s, rated so low (but then it's not in my top 5 either).
it's going to be true in polls like this one, where only four voters submitted a full-length ballot, that the votes from the near-completists have a huge influence on the results. so any film you omitted from your ballot didn't have very many chances to get a lot of points from anyone else, and wasn't likely to rank very high.

and that's not a bad thing at all - i think the opposite, really. in our polls with dozens of ballots, just by a kind of law of averages, the most popular films usually do the best, and we get near-canonical final lists that don't convey how varied scfz tastes and interests are. if i'm looking for recommendations for a particular director in the future, i think i'll be more likely to look back at our lau kar-leung and lucio fulci and robert mulligan polls than at our federico fellini or coen bros or david lynch polls.
mesnalty

Post by mesnalty »

I've seen exactly one Lau film and it's The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, so while I'm a big fan, it didn't get my vote - maybe others are in the same boat too.
grabmymask

Post by grabmymask »

mesnalty wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:54 pm I've seen exactly one Lau film and it's The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, so while I'm a big fan, it didn't get my vote - maybe others are in the same boat too.
Yep
:lboxd:
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Sorry for the late ballot,had to watch two more to get to 10

Eight diagram pole fighter
Dirty ho
My young auntie
Challenge of the Masters
Return to the 36th chamber