Letterboxd

greennui

Re: Letterboxd

Post by greennui »

There's one type of letterboxd user I don't get, those who regularly clog up the activity feed with watchlist additions. There's one user I follow who has added 75k films to his watchlist...at least make it private if you're gonna add so many. I know you can toggle off watchlist additions but there's many users whose watchlist additions I actually do find interesting. I rarely unfollow people but I feel like I have to in these cases.
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

Yup. First thing I did with my pro account was toggle off watchlist additions. My own watchlist is only about 80 films, many of them recommended by SCFZ, that I'm extremely eager to find.
Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

I try to use my watchlist exclusively for when I see something interesting on here or letterboxd that I know I'd be interested in, but I also know I'll forget the title/director's name within a week.

Post by ... »

I was using mine for posters I liked, and then a few odd little films I might want to see but would never remember, then they put in those damned ads so now I don't use it for anything other than checking filmographies and marking something I've seen for future reference.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

greg x wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:37 pmthose damned ads
yeah, the ads have made the desktop/laptop site more or less unusable, which is a shame. i use the app for logging, but i liked using the website for browsing. i'm curious about this kinometer...
rischka

Post by rischka »

you guys i don't see ads at all? except the one that says 'need an upgrade?' (i don't) maybe cuz i have ABP? can't get used to the mobile app yet
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
greennui

Post by greennui »

I never get any ads on the app/detskop cuz I'm a PRO user but I didn't get them before either due to ABP, I reckon.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

weird. maybe i need to update my version of abp...? i know pro users don't get ads, and i know it's only $19/year, but there are other frivolous nonessentials i prefer to blow my money on
Monsieur Arkadin

The ads literally gave me flashbacks to the days of limewire viruses, where you'd have to click out of ads just to get to other ads to click out of. Terrible.
therouxxx

Post by therouxxx »

I use uBlock origin and never see ads

Post by ... »

Most of the time I'd be using Letterboxd would be when I'm at work, so downloading ain't an option and, really, fuck them anyway for making people pay or work around it. I might have become a pro member if it didn't feel like extortion.
FLABREZU

Post by FLABREZU »

I've never seen an ad on there with uBlock
greennui

Post by greennui »

thoxans wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:11 pm weird. maybe i need to update my version of abp...? i know pro users don't get ads, and i know it's only $19/year, but there are other frivolous nonessentials i prefer to blow my money on
I only became a PRO user in order to change my handle a while back, been too lazy to do anything about it since...though lately I've been pondering whether to get arsed enough to unsubscribe, as I don't know why I should give money to a film site that doesn't even let me check all my favourite films due to that wack adult film censoring + they don't seem to do much with the money anyway.
rischka

Post by rischka »

dammit some (small) ads are starting to break through in the last day or two. ABP needs an update!
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

What is the letterboxd etiquette when it comes to followers? Let's say you and some user have been connected/mutually following each other for a while, then you discover that said user unfollowed you at some point. Do you automatically unfollow, or is that too petty? Asking for a friend.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

Do you enjoy seeing what they're up to and reading their reviews? Then it's petty. If you don't, particularly, then it's not petty at all
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

what's the internet without a little bit of pettiness, feuding, bitterness, rancor, ressentiment, and blocking...?
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

MrCarmady wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:50 pm Do you enjoy seeing what they're up to and reading their reviews? Then it's petty. If you don't, particularly, then it's not petty at all
Oh I wouldn't know. Just asking for a friend. I'll check with him.
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

Unholymanm wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:58 pm what's the internet without a little bit of pettiness, feuding, bitterness, rancor, ressentiment, and blocking...?
Exactly my feelings...

BTW don't think that I didn't notice that you rated The Color of Pomegranates half a star. And Pierrot le Fou. And Road to Nowhere. These ratings should be illegal.
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

kanafani wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:34 pmBTW don't think that I didn't notice that you rated The Color of Pomegranates half a star. And Pierrot le Fou. And Road to Nowhere. These ratings should be illegal.
The main thing I don't like about Letterboxd is that you can't give 0/5 ratings on it... :typing:
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

i'd unfollow peeps who unfollowed me, but it would have nothing to do with pettiness, and everything to do with weird ocd symmetry of not wanting to follow more peeps than follow me
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

holymanm lookin' forward to dat monte hellman poll
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

hey, i'm all about two-lane blacktop... :)
greennui

Post by greennui »

kanafani wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:18 pm What is the letterboxd etiquette when it comes to followers? Let's say you and some user have been connected/mutually following each other for a while, then you discover that said user unfollowed you at some point. Do you automatically unfollow, or is that too petty? Asking for a friend.
I'm a petty, petty man. It's not happened many times on lboxd though, I mostly do it on instagram.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

i am a man of principle. i follow people, on any platform, if and only if i want to see their output. for instance, there are a few scfz members who have not followed me back, or have unfollowed me. it's no problem. they are missing out on my great reviews. but i am NOT missing out on THEIR great reviews. I WIN. CHAMPION. FIRST PLACE

frequently ppl who i sorta knew in law school, but didn't have any personal conversations with, will follow me on instagram. i do not follow them back, because they are not my friends and i have no interest in their lives. usually, they end up unfollowing me shortly after. that is bizarre to me. am i to understand that they followed me NOT because they wanted to see my pictures, but because they wanted me to follow them back...? society is sick. one person from school has followed me three separate times, and unfollowed me shortly after every time, as i do not follow back. i think it would be very interesting if scientists studied the inside of her brain. there must be wild things going on in there
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

I think these etiquette questions point to a gap between a "Facebook mentality" and a "Twitter mentality". On Facebook a connection is generally mutual, and if one person exits that's the end of the relationship. On Twitter, one-sided relationships are much more normal. Facebook-type users think of a Letterboxd connection as a sign of friendship or acceptance, but in fact the site is set up more like Twitter... it doesn't even offer private communication.
Last edited by Umbugbene on Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wba

Post by wba »

kanafani wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:18 pm What is the letterboxd etiquette when it comes to followers? Let's say you and some user have been connected/mutually following each other for a while, then you discover that said user unfollowed you at some point. Do you automatically unfollow, or is that too petty? Asking for a friend.
If I'm interested in what the person is doing, I follow them, if not, I don't follow them. So no "etiquette" involved. I don't care who follows me, I care who I want to follow. If someone "unfollows" me, why should I care?
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Monsieur Arkadin

I get an email if someone follows me... but I don't keep track of my total numbers, so I don't think I'd ever really notice if/when someone unfollows me.
roujin

Post by roujin »

I used to set a limit of how many people I would follow (only 50). But I've recently started to follow more people. Yes, it's dumb.
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

I don't use twitter and facebook, but on letterboxd I do usually follow a person who follows me out of politeness, so I guess I'm in the facebook camp. I really do not rely on my activity feed to see what's up. I have a parallel system to help me see what movies to watch next, which is primarily what I use letterboxd for.