Post by rischka »

they really hated my review of birth of a nation :D
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
jal90

Re: Letterboxd

Post by jal90 »

I've seen the bunch of deleted comments in that review and the answers make it very clear that whoever wrote them is a nasty piece of shit.
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

Is there any benefit to Patron vis-a-vis Pro? Sort of considering getting Pro just to get rid of undesirable feed stuff, etc., as I'm stuck with the site now and should make the most of it. But Patron? Something vague about beta testing and having it say Patron next to your name? Look, will it give me free drugs and cash back rewards or no?

(All I know about it is that almost every time I block someone for their insufferable review of something I just watched, they're a Patron... but that's neither here nor there......)
rischka

Post by rischka »

i thought patron just meant they donated money

ANTIFA 4-EVA

greennui

Post by greennui »

You get to become buddy buddy with brat pitt, Lucy, Elrich and the rest of the gang.
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

greennui wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:02 am You get to become buddy buddy with brat pitt, Lucy, Elrich and the rest of the gang.
Holymanm wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:49 pm(All I know about it is that almost every time I block someone for their insufferable review of something I just watched, they're a Patron... but that's neither here nor there......)
:pirates: to the gang
jal90

Post by jal90 »

greennui wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:02 am You get to become buddy buddy with brat pitt, Lucy, Elrich and the rest of the gang.
And chances that you get your one-line review featured in some Letterboxd news article about the next hot film.
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

...just realised that if you do get Pro, then there is no option NOT to have that sticker next to your name on your profile. i even emailed them, and they confirmed this. i don't want to be one of those people :(
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

I keep an (almost non-active) account on Mubi, never subscribed to their streaming services.
However, I still had a Mubi sticker while being offered a trial subscription.
For a while, I was puzzled why the "false flag" sticker is attached to my account.
But then it disappeared with the expiration of the trial subscription offer.
On Mubi, stickering is part of their deceptive policy.
Not everyone with a sticker is their subscriber.
Last edited by niminy-piminy on Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Holymanm wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:49 pm Is there any benefit to Patron vis-a-vis Pro? Sort of considering getting Pro just to get rid of undesirable feed stuff, etc., as I'm stuck with the site now and should make the most of it. But Patron? Something vague about beta testing and having it say Patron next to your name? Look, will it give me free drugs and cash back rewards or no?

(All I know about it is that almost every time I block someone for their insufferable review of something I just watched, they're a Patron... but that's neither here nor there......)
I like the Pro membership because of the stats page and the option to filter films by streaming services. When my Pro membership ended, I signed up for the Patron option but feel a bit silly for doing that now and will revert to Pro next time. With Patron, I think you get access to beta features and the backdrop you get on your profile from your favourite film is cool, but should really be a free feature. It's not remotely worth the price upgrade compared to Pro.

I've had Letterboxd for about eighteen months, and only recently realised I can block people to hide their reviews. Blocking is definitely now my favourite feature.
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

Aberration wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:43 pmBlocking is definitely now my favourite feature.
a person after my own heart :lol: :D

and feel free to add your name to the thread/list if you'd like!
greennui

Post by greennui »

flip

Post by flip »

i looked into that a bit - in his bio, baker explicitly says "Please don't "like" my entries", so i think he's mostly blameless, though those are some incredibly useless reviews and it doesn't seem fair to people who actually post thoughtful stuff that their writing is demoted on the site to feature 'Watched on DVD' only because that was written by some celebrity.

have not yet seen a baker film, so i have no idea what i think of him as a filmmaker.
Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

I don't follow him on letterboxd, but I feel like I do because if he's seen a film his review is almost always one of the top ones. And whenever he's not posting how he saw it they often just say "Cinema Odeon, Cinematography by ___________ shot on Master Primes." Which I'm not sure how to take... but often comes across as like a mild insult. lol.

He does write some interesting and insightful reviews, but I think he said that whenever he's actively working on a project he defaults to just keeping track of what/where he watched things.

Also, I love the Florida Project. His reviews kind of surprise me by how focused he is on the technology (both shooting and screening) because that film specifically wouldn't hint towards that type of personality.
greennui

Post by greennui »

He seems to have as many reviews as logged films, does he know that he doesn't need to type a review in order to log it? He seems to use the tagging system to type *blu ray* or whatever as well which makes it even weirder why he feels the need to type it in the review as well.
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

^ even worse when it's just brat pitt et al... their review of
"This is actually a good movie."
for any flick will get 200 likes

...this, among other reasons, is why i have so many people blocked :lol:
Last edited by Holymanm on Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

the most egregious part of brat pitt's existence is that i came up with "brad spit" like ten yrs ago that is much more cooler/neato/fresh/hot/etc
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
john ryan

Post by john ryan »

I don't recognize this Brat Pitt. I don't think I've ever blocked anyone, but maybe I did so in my sleep or something.
:lboxd:
greennui

Post by greennui »

john ryan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:13 am I don't recognize this Brat Pitt. I don't think I've ever blocked anyone, but maybe I did so in my sleep or something.
You won't find her reviews on obscure arthouse films. I don't mind her btw, she's quite witty at times.

I generally prefer a short, succint review to a wall of text review. People like Penalosa has really mastered the art of summing up a film in one or two sentences.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

https://letterboxd.com/director/egahkarb-pets/

wtf is going on. step brakhage? brakhage pets? who is this goofball? do you think these are real movies?
flip

Post by flip »

letterboxd draws filims from tmdb and anyone can put films on there, so as far as i understand, it would be pretty easy to get home videos or fake films into the letterboxd ecosystem, at least until letterboxd filters things out manually (which i think they did one time to user-made films to some controversy)
nrh

Post by nrh »

those have already been removed from tmdb, but letterboxd takes a day or so to update.

frankly wish that letterboxd did less filtering rather than more, lots of legitimate stuff gets deleted all the time because of some rules (i.e. what is tv, what is an adult film) depend on rather porous boundaries.
rischka

Post by rischka »

remember when james submitted this :lol: good times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrxPuk0JefA

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

nrh wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:40 pm those have already been removed from tmdb, but letterboxd takes a day or so to update.
WTF I need the "3." one for my 1312 free fav films art
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

Forgot all about that clip, rischka, fantastic stuff. Should have been accepted imo.
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

Agree! Never saw that clip before but bookmarked it as my favorite on yt and would rate it high if it would be part of the ltbxd database (and if i would rate films).
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

What makes a film a film anyway? There's so much more cinema in that camera falling from the sky than in any Marvel movie ever. Yet, this is not a film (leave me alone, Panahi!) and those are? Has anyone written in depth about this?

On that note, I was thinking it would be nice to start a topic where we could share our favorite non-films such as commercials, music videos, trailers, fan videos, whatever. Do any of you like the idea? I wouldn't want to fill this place with barren threads.
aka FGNRSY
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

I would LOVE that idea
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

Curtis, baby wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:50 am I would LOVE that idea
By popular demand, I'll start this later this week.
aka FGNRSY
greennui

Post by greennui »

Finally some progress on this front

https://twitter.com/letterboxd/status/1 ... 8536087552