Australian film festivals

DT.

Australian film festivals

Post by DT. »

For all three (?) of us down under...share your festival plans here! 8-)
DT.

Re: Australian film festivals

Post by DT. »

Sydney Film Festival

Unfortunately, the films I want to see most aren't screening when I'm free, but I still plan to catch Bacurau, Ondog and Parasite at least.

Anyone got any particular recs?
Silga

Post by Silga »

I've seen Angelo, High Life, Queen of Hearts and Anthropocene: The Human Epoch.

High Life is the only one I absolutely hated. But others here at SCFZ seem to be more generous with their opinions, so I just don't know. For me the acting was atrocious, directing non-existent.

I could recommend Angelo if you like costume dramas. And this is a little bit different in its approach to storytelling.

Anthropocene is nice for the eyes, but otherwise not delving deep enough to be an informative documentary.

Queen of Hearts is as traditional Scandinavian film as it gets. Although it is made by a different director, it still feels like another Susanne Bier film. And for me - that's a bad thing. I didn't like it and can't recommend. Nevertheless, Trine Dyrholm brings another good performance as usual.

I would love to see Apollo 11 on the big screen.
DT.

Post by DT. »

Thanks Silga. Not exactly glowing recommendations! (And I loved High Life :icon_mrgreen: )

The festival wrapped up today. The highlights were as expected - Pain and Glory was a return to form for Almodovar, Parasite lived up to the hype, not to mention Bacurau and The Nightingale. The biggest surprise was Ondog, an oddly life-affirming Mongolian film with gentle humour and jaw-dropping cinematography. I want to catch up on Wang Quanan’s other works now (which unfortunately, doesn’t seem that easy).

Now it’s time to do it all over again in Melbourne in a few months to catch up on the films I missed. 8-)
DT.

Post by DT. »

So good to be back. :-D 9am screening of Drive My Car, then afterwards I’m going to go see what this ‘Hamilton’ thing is all about.

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

ha, (after inspecting all the venues → https://www.sff.org.au/info/venues/) it seems to be this place (state theater) → https://www.sff.org.au/info/venues/state-theatre
such a cool cinema!
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

now, hard to decide if more alluring is the setting of SFF or MIFF.
DT. wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:56 am
jiri kino ovalis wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:42 pm being already in Australia they spread the beauty not only in Canberra but also in Melbourne (Marion's decorative interior design of Melbourne Capitol Theater)...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Capitol,_Melbourne
I've caught a few film screenings there! I think it's now mainly used as a lecture hall during the day.

DT.

Post by DT. »

neon noirickykino wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:11 pm ha, (after inspecting all the venues → https://www.sff.org.au/info/venues/) it seems to be this place (state theater) → https://www.sff.org.au/info/venues/state-theatre
such a cool cinema!
Yep, that's the one. The lobby's not bad either!

DT.

Post by DT. »

Electric dreams (AKA Round 2 of jiri guessing which cinema)

DT.

Post by DT. »

One thing I’ll say is that Stars at Noon isn’t nearly as bad as I expected going in. I get why it got such poor reviews, with its vague pretense of being a political thriller and its drifing pace. But it has as much of a lilting, sultry sense of mood and character as you’d expect from Denis, not least from how magnetic Margaret Qualley and Joe Alwyn are on-screen (and how Gaultier films them).
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

DT. wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:56 am AKA Round 2 of jiri guessing which cinema
now, i am clueless :?
the first pic/cinema is very cool!
please, keep reporting!
DT.

Post by DT. »

niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

if i ever run a dark den of a cinema theater (highly unlikely), gonna call it "Orpheum" too.
really very cool!
Carter53

Post by Carter53 »

It has to be said, the place is just beautiful.
My website on this page : VXhentai