what are you eating?

pabs

Re: what are you eating?

Post by pabs »

My desert island "spices" include onions and tomatoes, because I often use them as a base for so many yummy things.

The true spices i never want to be without:

garlic, paprika, parsley, thyme, chives, spring onions, black pepper, dill, and capers.

I always have at least one spare tin of whole peeled tomatoes at hand. Not having one there is for me like not having a fire extinguisher somewhere in a public building. I have to have one at the ready, just in case. Same with fresh garlic and olive oil.
pabs

Post by pabs »

I like cumin, but even a little bit too much of it overpowers things and then you can't taste anything else but cumin.
rischka

Post by rischka »

since having a case of delhi belly around ten years ago i tend to avoid cumin :(
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
liquidnature

Post by liquidnature »

All the spices. I can vouch for sumac, Brian - my restaurant currently has a chicken and artichoke grill bread topped with a tahini and sumac yogurt, amazing.

Being from Idaho and having eaten fresh caught salmon every year of my life, it's like my lifeblood. I eat it probably twice a week.
:lboxd:
arkheia

Post by arkheia »

patrick wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:12 am What's everyone's desert island spices?
Salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne, oregano, paprika, curry powder, and chili powder. Garlic, onion, and ginger are essential too although I try to get those fresh when possible. Sometimes I'll also use stuff like triguisar, pimentón, and tajín for certain South American dishes.

Unrelated but today I baked a lemon poppyseed cake, topped off which some icing (powdered sugar, vanilla extract, milk and butter) which turned out better than expected. The cake was a little dense but quite tasty otherwise.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

patrick wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:12 amdesert island spices
thyme! shit's multifaceted. good on (land)meat and seafood alike. also salt n pepa duh. crushed red pepper flakes are good. infuse them into oil before cooking a spicy dish, and it'll lend that good background spiciness, rather than that far too forward heat that burns your tastebuds right out of the gate. but i've been getting away from using a lot of spices tbh. i have more readily available fresh ingredients where i'm living now, so that makes me want to focus more on the flavors of the ingredients themselves, rather than imparting anything extra, i.e., i'll dump some kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper on slices of a storebought tomato, but that mater from farmer jim-bob just down the country road can speak more than perfectly for itself

p.s. good lookin fish dishes, p-phunq! don't go to film school; go to culinary school
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

on that note, made a shrimp ceviche. fuxkin delish during this increasingly toasty season. super refreshing. 51-60 count shrimp, fresh tomato, cucumber, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and a ton of lime juice, a lil bit of lemon juice, and an even lil'er bit of kosher salt to taste. i could've eaten at least three times as much. note to self: make a shitload more next time
patrick

Post by patrick »

Nice to see we all have a good palette !
pabs

Post by pabs »

I think it's "palate", as in "unpalatable": something that would leave a bad taste if you put it in your mouth.
patrick

Post by patrick »

What can I say, I'm an artist
pabs

Post by pabs »

And a good one, too! Wish you made more films.
patrick

Post by patrick »

:kisscheek:
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

drinking hot sake and cold beer, and watching kon ichikawa's princess from the moon. technically, this post would go in nrh's what are you drinking? thread, but my boy nrh hasn't made that thread yet on the new forum
Last edited by thoxans on Tue May 14, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

rewatching ozu's an autumn afternoon, and i have a sudden urge to run to the store to grab a bottle of you-know-what and a six-pack of you-know-what-else
rischka

Post by rischka »

currently a peanut butter banana sandwich but planning to make teriyaki chicken later (it's marinating)

ANTIFA 4-EVA

nrh

Post by nrh »

the chicken liver tawa kaleji at adda in queens that we had this afternoon was one of the nicest dishes i've had in years. eat more livers and kidneys and gizzards people!
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

Had a couple of hot dogs two hours ago and really starting to regret it
rischka

Post by rischka »

i made some chicken enchiladas verde yesterday but i did not take a photo :(

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

nrh wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:28 pm the chicken liver tawa kaleji at adda in queens that we had this afternoon was one of the nicest dishes i've had in years. eat more livers and kidneys and gizzards people!
ugh no. my german granny ate hearts and gizzards. she was scary

ANTIFA 4-EVA

nrh

Post by nrh »

but scary grandmas make the best food! in my case the great grandmas made good food. my actual (hungarian american) grandma made great stuffed cabbage and everything else in the microwave...
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

nrh wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:26 pm(hungarian american) grandma
i had one of those too! don't tell me she never made you kolach...
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

since i'm working remotely, and no longer live near my sushi blowout joint (tho i make sure to travel back at least a couple times a month to partake), i made my own kinda sorta japanese blowout meal from the comfort of my own home (complete with pj pants)! the menu included (clockwise from the bottom left): mushroom no nimono, hibachi-style zucchini and onions, sunomono, tuna sashimi soft rolls (storebought :shhh:), namasu, sesame ginger chicken, and last but not least zaru soba. the cold beer and hot sake didn't make the pic cuz i was too busy drinking them
asdasd.jpg
asdasd.jpg (137.56 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
rischka

Post by rischka »

that looks amazing thoxans :shock: i WAS proud of my chicken cacciatore but now... :shrug: it is still delicious however

celebrating the arrival of the rainy season today :dance: this will last me all week. i would totally eat it without chicken too

ANTIFA 4-EVA

nrh

Post by nrh »

lunch at king yesterday - the entrees (a roast quail with spinach and favas, a beautifully charred bass with pesto, fingerling potatoes and spring greens) but absolute highlights were the two starters - carta di musica with burrata, roasted peppers and dill and the peach salad with white beans and rockets.

feel like this place gets better each time we go there...

didn’t take photos but got small meal at wildair after, highlight being raw topneck clams in almond milk and xo sauce, odd on paper but worked brilliantly
rischka

Post by rischka »

mongolian chicken :D it's a little sweet. i will add some chile when i reheat. i made a beautiful kung pao shrimp couple weeks ago but forgot to post it. yes i'm recreating chinese takeout at home. when you live in the back of beyond this is what you do 8-)

ANTIFA 4-EVA

thoxans

Post by thoxans »

did a fun take on steak and eggs! tamagoyaki (a rolled omelette) topped with gyuniku tataki (lightly seared and marinated beef), fresh chopped chives, toasted sesame seeds, and ponzu-marinated ikura (salmon roe)
asdasdasd.jpg
asdasdasd.jpg (120.46 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
rischka

Post by rischka »

hmm as usual making my efforts look pathetic but i soldier on

garlic shrimp 8-)

ANTIFA 4-EVA

thoxans

Post by thoxans »

gearing up for my world famous prime rib for the holiday (got an eight pounder this year)! already got my world famous rub applied (a secret blend of lawry's seasoned salt, kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper, celery salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little bit of thyme)! already got my world famous horseradish cream sauce whipped up! already got my world famous au jus on the stovetop simmering (had some beef bones lying around just cuz you know)! still considering which of my world famous side dishes i'll throw together. maybe some simmered mushrooms. maybe some creamed collard greens (my southern play on creamed spinach). maybe yorkshire pudding, if i'm feeling frisky, and the wine doesn't overtake me during the long cooking process (and the proximity to family). curtis is cordially invited to this carnivorous feast!
rischka

Post by rischka »

i'm eating frosted flakes

ANTIFA 4-EVA

thoxans

Post by thoxans »

the q is: are they world famous frosted flakes?