Re: what are you reading?

Post by wigwam »

There There
wba2

Post by wba2 »

I have that exact copy by Diogenes at home. :D
Though I haven't read it yet. ;)
To please the majority is the requirement of the Planet Cinema. As far as I'm concerned, I don't make a concession to viewers, these victims of life, who think that a film is made only for their enjoyment, and who know nothing about their own existence.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

CATCH-22 -- we're so living it, the very Bible of contemporary Republicanism.
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
nrh

Post by nrh »

picked up a bunch of used books at the strand last week so am in the middle of reading master and commander by patrick o'brian; i liked the movie and have always heard great things about the series so curious to try. impressed so far but i must confess to actually struggling with all the naval terminology technicalities about sailing. it's a fun kind of struggle though.

also just finished black wings has my angel by elliott chaze, easily one of the finest american noir/crime novels i've read.
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

nrh wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:52 pm
also just finished black wings has my angel by elliott chaze, easily one of the finest american noir/crime novels i've read.
That was the first book I read in 2018. Fun times.
MatiasAlbertotti

Post by MatiasAlbertotti »

I'm currently reading Balzac's "Letters of two brides". Only a couple of pages in, so I have nothing to say about it at the moment.
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

Slowly making my way through E.P.Thompson’s the making of the English working class. It’s a 850-page beast, and not the easiest read in the world. It assumes knowledge of a lot of English historical events circa 1790-1850, of which I know close to nothing. Luckily it is not plagued by hermetic Marxist jargon. I’m only have through but by Jove I shall finish it.
josiahmorgan11

Post by josiahmorgan11 »

Reading numerous chapters, articles & snippets of information on the Palestine question and the creation of Israel. Tackling this in relation to the Balfour declaration in an upcoming essay (four weeks, yikes) so much of my reading at the moment is on this front.

Still halfway deep on the William H. Gass Reader and Stephen King's Night Shift.
MatiasAlbertotti

Reading "The name of the game is death" by Dan J. Marlowe. I'm finding it hard to leave the book. It has great rhythm and the style is brutal.
wigwam

Post by wigwam »

PirateJenny wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:30 pm Men Without Women (Murakami)

It's a book of short stories and I'm only two in but I read Killing Commendatore at the end of last year and love this stream of consciousness style of Murakami.
are these your first ones of his??? If so Im jealous of how much great stuff you get to go back and read!
nrh

Post by nrh »

bookstore had a bunch of half price copies of the first library of america elmore leonard collection. so just finished 52 pick-up and now most of the way through swag. also forget how great and odd his style is.
MatiasAlbertotti

In a feat of courage, after it stood in the library making me feel guilty of buying it and not starting it for over 2 years, I started Infinite Jest.

I always feel compelled to buy this mammoth novels, but when it comes to start reading them, I look at the page count and end up with something shorter. I don't know if it has to do with a shortened attention span, but when I was younger I did not had that problem. :cry: :cry:
liquidnature

Post by liquidnature »

finished Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker

there are few books I would say should be required reading for every human, this may be one of them.
:lboxd:
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

INFINITE JEST is wonderful. I've read it six times. It never gets stale.

After finishing CATCH-22, for me probably the Great American Novel Of The Way We Live Now, I moved on to Donald E. Westlake's WHAT'S THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN?, and a lot of very good fun seems to be in store.
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

rischka

Post by rischka »

that looks fun ^ i'm deep in the adventures of julien sorel -- mad priest and seducer of society ladies

:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
rischka

Post by rischka »

MatiasAlbertotti wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:03 pm In a feat of courage, after it stood in the library making me feel guilty of buying it and not starting it for over 2 years, I started Infinite Jest.

I always feel compelled to buy this mammoth novels, but when it comes to start reading them, I look at the page count and end up with something shorter. I don't know if it has to do with a shortened attention span, but when I was younger I did not had that problem. :cry: :cry:
i also have an uncracked copy of infinite jest :lol: you're not alone

ANTIFA 4-EVA

kanafani

Post by kanafani »

rischka wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:02 pm
MatiasAlbertotti wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:03 pm In a feat of courage, after it stood in the library making me feel guilty of buying it and not starting it for over 2 years, I started Infinite Jest.

This reminds me of the copy of Ulysses that's been gathering dust on a shelf at home for 6 years now.
rischka

Post by rischka »

i tried ulysses once and gave up in frustration but i was very young. it's still a goal!!

ANTIFA 4-EVA

josiahmorgan11

Post by josiahmorgan11 »

ulysses is way more fun than its reputation suggests

high recommend
karl

Post by karl »

Anatole France and Selma Lagerlof.
There is no tyrant like a thoroughpaced reformer. I drink to his own reformation. - Mr. MacBorrowdale, Gryll Grange
wba2

Post by wba2 »

Eric Rohmer and Yasunari Kawabata.
To please the majority is the requirement of the Planet Cinema. As far as I'm concerned, I don't make a concession to viewers, these victims of life, who think that a film is made only for their enjoyment, and who know nothing about their own existence.
MatiasAlbertotti

rischka wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:02 pm
Thanks Rischka, I feel better. Misery loves company is the phrase, right? :D
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

greennui

Post by greennui »

When do you fellow cinephiles make time for reading? I've been meaning to lay off the movies and start reading more for years but I'm finding it very difficult...
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

This probably sounds like blasphemy to most of you, but during weekdays I typically watch a movie over two evenings, unless it is super-short (like < 75 minutes). That way I carve out an hour or so for reading every night. I usually also read for like 45 minutes right after I get back from work. Just watch less movies!
MatiasAlbertotti

A couple of years ago I felt that I was reading very little compared to other times in my life, so I made a point of dedicating at least 1 hour per day to reading. I'm not the fastest reader and there are times when work and other stuff gets in the way of my 1 hour, so I try to ensure I read a minimum of 100 pages per week if the 1/per day is not possible that week.
It sounds like very structured, but it's the only way that works for me at this stage in my life.

Also because of where I live withing the city in Buenos Aires, whenever I have to go somewhere it takes at least an hour of public transportation, so that is also used for reading. A lot of my reading has been done on buses and trains.
rischka

Post by rischka »

i don't read fast but i try to read a chapter before sleep every night. i've made a concentrated effort over the last few years, excited by all the recommendations here :D

ANTIFA 4-EVA

liquidnature

Post by liquidnature »

the struggle is real. i'm not the most prolific in either department, but like kanafani i try to limit my film watching to ~45 mins per day, unless i'm really loving the film and am eager to finish it then, and i mostly read right before bed for 30-60 mins if possible. this structure is mostly due to also having many other interests/responsibilities such as work, exercise, piano, guitar, language studies, and business ventures. o that there were infinite time in a day!
:lboxd:
nrh

Post by nrh »

if i didn't have 80 or so minutes of subway commute a day i would probably read a lot less. trying to set aside an hour or two to go to a coffee shop or bar and read on a sunday has been something i've been trying to do more and helpful when the time allows.

managing to watch anything after work without falling asleep has been much harder!