Everything is Political

rischka

Re: Everything is Political

Post by rischka »

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/ ... 33505?s=20

yay this should totally happen. some of these idiots were elected in the state elections they now (say they) want overturned :?
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

flip wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:26 pm to be clear, that's not what i said. i said "the comparison is anti-semitic". i didn't say (nor mean) anything about people making the comparison;
Fair enough. I'm not 100% sure I agree that the comparison is inherently anti-semitic, but I do see how it can easily be read as such.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

it's just rhetoric. using the nastiest name for what a person views as the nastiest sort of person. conflation doesn't diminish one thing or another. i do it, but understand it's not for everyone
rischka

Post by rischka »

godwin's law revoked by godwin himself after charlottesville

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... rnet-rule/

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Pretentious Hipster

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Yea I use fascist a lot, but I think the only time I called someone I knew a legit nazi is my dad. He made a post on his facebook that racist is a made up word by Trotsky to stop communist dissenters, and said that he was going to bring zionism among the world, and obviously had to make a point that Trotsky was Jewish. He also did say that the "Jewish elite" are also satanists, and that they control the world.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

MrCarmady wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:00 pm I would advise against good faith when it comes to Chris Williamson. When British Jews inside the Labour Party are speaking about their personal experiences with anti-Semitism, and someone else claims they're trying to undermine Jeremy Corbyn because of the 'Israel lobby', I don't get why you would give that person a pass. If you really still don't see it, I don't know how I can convince you.
Am I giving him a pass? I'm saying it was right to suspend him. But I don't see why you would want to read it in bad faith - and jump to the idea that he was being antisemitic. The reaction was completely unprofessional, and it hurt people speaking out about antisemitism, but I can also see how it was an easy jump to make - without being antisemitic.

We know now that people within the party were actively stalling cases to make the leadership look bad (leaks), we saw the right wing of the party (some jumping over to the Lib Dems) actively undermining the party and we have seen the media do everything they can to demonise and undermine essentially anyone of the left. While it is clear there are issues of racism within UK Labour (and any party) and dismissing it is utterly ludicrous - it is also clear that the press used this as a targeted attack and media outlets that "love" racism in general join in the choir. I can fully sympathise with anyone want to swing back, though in the case of this person in particular, he couldn't have done it in worse ways. His language is just god awful. But I don't think or see why we'd make the assumption that he is antisemitic on this evidence.

Just to be clear, I have no interest in defending this person, he acted horribly, used horrible rhetoric (especially: traitors) and he seems quite toxic - but the claim of being antisemitic (if we understand it to be hatred or prejudice towards Jews) seem to rest on him being defensive and liking a tweet that may be interpreted as referring to Jews - and that's where I want to highlight the issue of interpreting comments in bad faith - especially when they are fairly common things to say about Israel/supporters of Israel/right wing media.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I don't use the term Nazi, unless talking about actual Nazis - and yes they still exist.

I do occasionally use "Fascist-adjacent" when referring to certain right wing populist parties/people engaged in pretty extreme/worrying forms of nationalism and othering on the other hand - though I'm not sure how successful that rhetoric is - and should not be used with people who actually lean in that direction as they get offended and shut off.
rischka

Post by rischka »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 81216?s=20

TX AG ridiculous suit backed by 17 other state AGs and 126 house republicans, was dismissed yesterday. not sure where they go from here

of course we know what REAL fascists would do... and if i may say so we're damn lucky trump has pissed off military leaders :P

otherwise i truly don't know who would stop them. not sleepy joe certainly :?

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

"MyPillow CEO" :lol:

Post by ... »

Good to see that even in the End Times getting a good night's sleep remains a top priority.

(I mean, seriously, don't underestimate this guy. In the great battle to come, the forces of the Right are going to wake up rested and refreshed ready to take on the heathen forces of the left who will be sluggish and irritable from sleeping on down pillows, or, even worse, memory foam. My Pillows might well be the thing that wins the day for the Trumpen horde.)
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

i've tried the mypillow. colour me unimpressed
rischka

Post by rischka »

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Post by ... »

Aw, now why do they have to drag poor Ray Harryhausen into this? It's bad enough they ruined the 2:Electric Boogaloo thing, but now they go and taint Clash of the Titans as well? I was using "release the Kraken!" way back in the 80s, I even had a Kraken, and now they've turned that into bad memories. It's just sad. Besides, the Kraken doesn't do shit. It looks all menacing, but just as it's about to get all rampagy, it turns to stone and crumbles. Well, maybe they got that part right anyway.
rischka

Post by rischka »

LOL indeed they did. the 'kraken' was looneytunes lawyer sidney powell's strategy that so embarrassed the trump campaign that they briefly tried to disassociate themselves

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasre ... ad41523486
The nickname for the suits came after Powell promised to “release the Kraken” during an appearance on Fox Business, and the suits have since gained a massive following among followers of QAnon.

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

Yes we have DINOs 🦕

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Monsieur Arkadin

The whole political landscape right now is about as bad as I can imagine. The fact is that even IF the Dems win the Georgia runoffs, it puts these folks in positions of massive negotiating power. That's pretty bleak.
rischka

Post by rischka »

First time we have 2 dem sens since 1953. This is how they did it

The Q people are threatening to destroy the GOP so maybe we'll see a realignment (hopefully NOT to the right)

Ideally parties that don't believe in democracy should be banned. Otherwise we keep finding ourselves back here w coupanon

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Monsieur Arkadin

My pessimism believes the realignment is definitely moving right. I think Biden will accomplish little of consequence (he's already pushing a narrative that people just want to "be heard" rather than see any real change), and I think that most likely gives rise to whoever wants to fill the Trump shoes in 2024. I believe the Dems are better at fighting populism than the republicans, so it's gotta be a rightward shift in the end.

Idk. I hope that's mostly a combination of my pessimistic mindset coupled with lockdown brain, and not a good prediction. But it's the one that feels most likely to me.
Pretentious Hipster

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Monsieur Arkadin

Love the shoe. Reminds me of the canned beef monument outside the UN building in Sarajevo.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

i wonder what the best before date is
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

rischka wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:22 pm https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1337 ... 41249?s=20

cry, the beloved country
so i'm literally googling "canada free trial pillow" because i'm looking for a new pillow, and want to try a few out, and... My... fucking... Pillow... is the first sponsored result that shows up

https://www.mypillow.ca

........this page is not for the faint of heart :shock:
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

Unholymanm wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:12 amMy... fucking... Pillow...
seriously. not worth it at all. got a package deal for my grandad a couple years ago cuz he mentioned he was interested, and what do you get someone who's 92? the deal was four pillows and a mattress pad. g-pa only needed two pillows, so i kept two, and am roundly unimpressed. my decades old down pillows that are sweatstained and presumably ridden with mites are far comfier (maybe that's why i have a great immune system...?). also, the mattress pad sits in a closet in one of g-pa's spare bedrooms, so what does that tell you?
rischka

Post by rischka »

this is the guy that read a goofy poem he wrote about how trump was sent by god at one of the coronavirus briefings

DO NOT SUPPORT THIS NONSENSE

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

manafort and stone pardoned, as promised. NO COLLUSION

along with charles kushner and assorted war criminals and corrupt GOP congresspeople

merry christmas everyone, we're allowed to say that now, even the losers and haters

ANTIFA 4-EVA

der kulterer

Post by der kulterer »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... presidents
Vladimir Putin has signed legislation that will grant former presidents of Russia lifetime immunity once they leave office.
The bill, which was published online on Tuesday, gives former presidents and their families immunity from prosecution for crimes committed during their lifetime.
They will also be exempt from questioning by police or investigators, as well as searches or arrests.
Now a former president can still be stripped of immunity if accused of treason or other grave crimes and the charges are confirmed by the supreme and constitutional courts.
But the legislation Putin signed on Tuesday will additionally grant former presidents a lifetime seat in the federation council or senate, a position that assures immunity from prosecution upon leaving the presidency.