RIP

St. Gloede

Re: RIP

Post by St. Gloede »

Now that's the kind of community action we should all get behind!

Lonsdale was also the male lead in the 3 last parts pf Hanoun's Four Seasons quadrilogy, only missing Summer (which to me is the weakest, but also made immediately after May 1968, and if I recall correctly shot over a very short time). Winter, Spring and Autumn are all really strong films, with memorable moments by Lonsdale.

I also need to seek out moreof his late work, as he was wonderful in Of Gods and Men.

Also (again) I really need to rewatch India Song soon.
rischka

Post by rischka »

ok the foe thing worked: i can't see his post except quoted by others :D

also gleode you might remember when i invaded icm in 2016: that was after the politics thread was closed here. as you know, i'm a hothead :?
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
brian d

Post by brian d »

St. Gloede wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:11 pm And really sad to see all of these political posts surrounding the respectful RIPs to Micheal Lonsdale. A tremendous actor. Was just speaking about him (in Autumn by Hanoun) the day he died actually. Odd coincident as unfortunately I had not seen a film with him for a while - but there was something in his work in this film where it is just him and his co-lead looking at a screen and talking with each other (they are editing a film, and the screen is the camera showing them) that is simply so memorable.

He is truly alegend of French Arthouse Cinema.
maybe this gets at what i really appreciate about him as an actor, that he seemed so connected to a more or less self-aware cinema that he just sort of exudes the idea that he gets exactly what's going on at all times. he's never really just an actor in a role, he gives the sense that he's involved in the creation of the film itself and not just playing a role in it. maybe it's just because i connect him to out 1 and rivette, even though he didn't work with rivette beyond that film. plus due to his body type he's a physical presence as well, a bit awkward both physically and intellectually, like you wouldn't necessarily connect that level of intellectual depth with a person in that body (or maybe that's entirely just me). but looking through his credits, he worked with rivette, resnais, robbe-grillet, duras, ivory, welles, buñuel, hanoun, ozon, losey, forman, breillat, ruiz, guerra... that's a pretty impressive list for an actor most people would connect with being a james bond villain.
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

Tbf a lot of great actors have played Bond villains, maybe not quite with Lonsdale's breadth of ouevre but even the last four are all fantastic at what they do - Mikkelsen, Amalric, Bardem, and Waltz. And in the past we've had Celi, Fröbe, Jürgens, Savalas, Robert Shaw...
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
brian d

Post by brian d »

true, and jürgens occurred to me, though i didn't think of the rest. but i don't know that most people would predominately connect the others with being bond villains first and foremost. not that i'm sure whether it matters too much ("it" being my point), but i suppose it's just that most of them found roles that were more popular and were what made them famous to a general audience, plus they played bond villains. i'm not sure most people would connect lonsdale with anything but being a bond villain, unless they make the ronin connection made above.
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

brian d wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:13 pm
St. Gloede wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:11 pm And really sad to see all of these political posts surrounding the respectful RIPs to Micheal Lonsdale. A tremendous actor. Was just speaking about him (in Autumn by Hanoun) the day he died actually. Odd coincident as unfortunately I had not seen a film with him for a while - but there was something in his work in this film where it is just him and his co-lead looking at a screen and talking with each other (they are editing a film, and the screen is the camera showing them) that is simply so memorable.

He is truly alegend of French Arthouse Cinema.
maybe this gets at what i really appreciate about him as an actor, that he seemed so connected to a more or less self-aware cinema that he just sort of exudes the idea that he gets exactly what's going on at all times. he's never really just an actor in a role, he gives the sense that he's involved in the creation of the film itself and not just playing a role in it. maybe it's just because i connect him to out 1 and rivette, even though he didn't work with rivette beyond that film. plus due to his body type he's a physical presence as well, a bit awkward both physically and intellectually, like you wouldn't necessarily connect that level of intellectual depth with a person in that body (or maybe that's entirely just me). but looking through his credits, he worked with rivette, resnais, robbe-grillet, duras, ivory, welles, buñuel, hanoun, ozon, losey, forman, breillat, ruiz, guerra... that's a pretty impressive list for an actor most people would connect with being a james bond villain.
I think you are absolutely right, especially in terms of the roles he chose in the late 60s and 70s. He fits so effortlessly.

He is definitely also very easy to believe as a leader, or someone of a degree of importance. Never thought about the body type though, but I would say that his presence is always so strong that I immediately felt he suited his role in Out 1, not to mention as a director in Autumn. What is interesting is how easy he fits into more traditionally authoritative roles as well, like in Section spéciale or Gaileo.
sally

Post by sally »

I honestly had no idea he was a bond villain.
nrh

Post by nrh »

has anyone seen games of countess dolingen? only feature film by a woman (catherine binet) who sounds totally fascinating, (acted in a hanoun film, long time partner of perec, wrote several untranslated books on art and literature), co-stars carol kane, lubtchansky photographed it...
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

St. Gloede wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:05 pm
Great stuff! Well put. And (dating back to Toqueville) I only listen to non-Americans regarding what's going on there too ;)

(I thought WAP meant Washington Post, which is fair enough, but I guess that's WAPO :lol: )
Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

thoxans wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:43 pm sexually deviant women
#AllDeviantsMatter
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
rischka

Post by rischka »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 pm I honestly had no idea he was a bond villain.
me either i connected him immediately with day of the jackal. don't think i've ever seen that bond

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

nrh wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:05 pm has anyone seen games of countess dolingen? only feature film by a woman (catherine binet) who sounds totally fascinating, (acted in a hanoun film, long time partner of perec, wrote several untranslated books on art and literature), co-stars carol kane, lubtchansky photographed it...
i've seen this bizarre film, didn't love it but it's got a creepy vibe -- as in older man attracted to a child creepy iirc

ANTIFA 4-EVA

greennui

Post by greennui »

nrh

Post by nrh »

greennui

Post by greennui »

Mario Gaborovic

Post by Mario Gaborovic »

Goran Paskaljević dies at 74. No idea if anybody here has watched his films, however I entered one of the cups with Sluga / The Servant (1973).

I'd say The Dog Who Loved Trains might be the film I'm most fond of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxtx6VZQ3FE
ole dole doff

Post by ole dole doff »

Lemonade Joe saying goodbye...
https://letterboxd.com/actor/karel-fiala/
ááááááááááááá

sou fááár tu ju aj méééj
fortunáááj mí tu séééj
mučačíta mi tára koverááá
an maj déééj sej áááj

tu júúú aj mej só fááár
mí tu séééj hóli stááár
an maj véj djú aj séj tu maj valííí
du aj léééj sou géééj

gudbáááj gudbáááj gudbáááááááááj
https://youtu.be/Zm_BreW18hw

Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Eddie Van Halen. Another piece of my youth is gone.
rischka

Post by rischka »

wow my high school bf's favorite guitarist RIP

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Joks Trois

Post by Joks Trois »

One of the main reasons I started playing guitar in the 80's, along with millions of others. There were rumours flying around that his cancer had returned, but the VH camp didn't confirm it. They don't update their fans much at all.

R.I.P.
wba

Post by wba »

Wow, I don't look in this thread for a few weeks, and...

Don't wanna quote here or derail this thread, but hats off to lencho for making two political posts in a row I could agree with 100%. Usually I'm used to not agreeing with anybody on anything when it comes to politics (including family, my partner(s) and closest friends), so I am (or have learned to be) mostly ok with knowing people or being friends with people who have political opinions that I find disgusting and/or horrifying. So I'm also glad liquidnature has been unbanned, as I think spewing hate speech, or insults or conspiracy theories or other unhealthy activities is part of (many) people's way of expressing themselves and also part of what for me "free speech" means: expressing oneself verbally no matter how ugly or offensive that might sound to others. I'm sure many things I say or write "In innocence" feel terrible and insulting and detestable to fascists, some right-wing people in general, people with religious beliefs, fanatics in general, etc. but I'm glad I'm allowed to express them.
But thanks to lencho anyway. Made my day. :hearteyes: :caress: :bow:

I also adore Michael Lonsdale, and need to watch more films with him! One of my favorite actors, with whom I fell in love at an early age while watching MOONRAKER (that Bond film where he plays a villain, which he does as excellently as he does everything in his movies), and agree with the "in on it" theory, as he for me exudes this aura of an actor who is totally into his role but at the same time seems to also direct himself (in a way Brando sometimes did), while never appearing to try to sabotage the directors actual vision/work/whatever. A technique I love and which seems to be used very seldom by actors in films (and even fewer use it with such perfection as Lonsdale did).
PS: That Bond movie is also a masterpiece and one of the finest Bond films, imo. So another jewel in Lonsdales crown, and I'd advise any Lonsdale lover to watch it, if only for his performance.

PPS: Rip Paskaljevic. One of the great Yugoslav directors of the 20th century. :drinking:
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Lencho of the Apes

rischka

Post by rischka »

it will give me great pleasure to vote against that fat orange fuck today. and may he stroke out immediately after the election. no rest in hell cheeto mussolini

ANTIFA 4-EVA

wba

Post by wba »

^I'll pray that happens, rischka!

PS: All the love to Glenn Branca. :cowboy:
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Lencho of the Apes

wba wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:28 am thanks
And thanks to you for the generous words. It's a good feeling to get a show of support like that, much appreciated.
sally

Post by sally »

rischka

Post by rischka »

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu3fKlybE34

:cry: at this point i guess willie has proved marijuana makes you live longer 8-)

ANTIFA 4-EVA

nrh

Post by nrh »

nrh

Post by nrh »