What are your top five cinema experiences?

Roscoe

Re: What are your top five cinema experiences?

Post by Roscoe »

thoxans wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:40 pm
Roscoe wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:24 pmthose goddamn seniors
yeah, at a screening of hou hsiao-hsien's three times, this old dude fell asleep during the middle story - which is silent, and really slow, even by hou's standards - and snored like fuxkin totoro for the rest of the film
So when that happens -- I'm the guy who gently shakes the guy awake and lets him know that he's snoring really loudly. Does anyone else politely (politely at least the first time) bring this kind of thing to the attention of the offender?
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

FLABREZU wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:46 amnobody else in the ENTIRE ROOM
had this experience with the big lebowski, of all films. cuz it's so popular now, few peeps remember that it was a major flop upon release, so it was just me and my dad in the theatre, when we went to see it. so, just to take a moment to flex some film snobbery, i actually knew about the big lebowski before 99.9% of the population who now think it's cool. buncha posers
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

Roscoe wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:44 pmanyone else
iirc peeps just kept shooting him dirty looks, and i kept thinking to myself, 'hey guys the dude is asleep pretty sure the stank eye isn't gonna deter the sleep apnea'
wba

Post by wba »

Roscoe wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:44 pm
thoxans wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:40 pm
Roscoe wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:24 pmthose goddamn seniors
yeah, at a screening of hou hsiao-hsien's three times, this old dude fell asleep during the middle story - which is silent, and really slow, even by hou's standards - and snored like fuxkin totoro for the rest of the film
So when that happens -- I'm the guy who gently shakes the guy awake and lets him know that he's snoring really loudly. Does anyone else politely (politely at least the first time) bring this kind of thing to the attention of the offender?
yeah, always. First time polite, second time not so polite.

I used to work regularly as a film projectionist, cashier, entrance dude (with tha cap), the guy sitting in the theater and having to watch the whole film so he could report to the projectionist if anything isn't going as planned and also adjusting the sound, etc. etc. - you name it. So I am/was used to having to go to people and tell them to not do certain things, or throw people out of the theater for disturbing others. :)
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

Roscoe wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:24 pm And those goddamn straight people who go to gay-themed films and snicker at any display of affection between members of the same sex. A screening of Haynes' CAROL was ruined by the breeder couple behind me who laughed like Beavis & Butthead throughout, even saying "Sluts!" during the film's love scene. Similar events at other screenings have made me wary of going to those things in first release any more.
this reminds me of one of my LEAST politically correct film reviews, wherein i were bitching about the audience at a queer film festival. it was the main event of the festival: the marquee movie (an actual real foreign movie + director in attendance), in the biggest venue, hundreds of seats.

before the movie started, it was a FESTIVE atmosphere, and the presenters were riling and whooping up the crowd. good times, laughs, Pride, etc. cut to the movie about family abuse and alcohol abuse, and that crowd was laughing loudly and cheering at scenes like an alcoholic drinking vodka out of a water bottle, or an old woman chasing a crying child out of her house and beating her with a stick...

...because it was a Korean movie, and foreign people are funny and don't really have souls. (ever since then, i've been racist toward Korean people too, so as to be on the right side of progress)

TLDR: all people are assholes, I hate all film audiences (although one time I did actually see a new-release Korean movie with a crowd of about 180 Koreans/Korean-Canadians, and no one talked or made noise for the entire movie)