SCFZ Annual Top 100 - discussion

liquidnature

Re: SCFZ Annual Top 100 - discussion

Post by liquidnature »

greennui wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:16 am I say: pure favourites poll + an alternative top 100 compiled from the same results, that'll kill two birds with one stone.

Then we can have an obscurity poll at some later point that'll highlight our underseen favourites.
I like this idea as well, similar to what Flip did with the Japan poll.
:lboxd:
flip

Post by flip »

i think i'll start up this poll some time this week, so if anyone had any more to add to the discussion here, now's the time! i'll be going with rules the same as or very similar to those we used last year
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

happy to participate however! liked flip's original idea cuz i'd assume none of our ballots would be severely impacted by not being able to vote for films on last year's list. can't quite remember (damn you, old age!) how we did it in the past, but i'd be surprised if many people had to eliminate more than ~12.5% of the films from a previous ballot, but no matter
sally

Post by sally »

i can't remember ever doing this at all. (doesn't mean i haven't, we're all old now) how does everyone choose their 50? just the first ones that come to mind? rigorous statistical analysis of various ratings? films you think History needs to be aware of? films that have prised themselves into your intricate innards? films that are FILM? i don't know how to begin.
flip

Post by flip »

i think everyone has a different philosophy about what the purpose of the poll is (and so also about how to make a ballot). some people seem capable of making fine-grained distinctions among their favourite films, so they can identify their 50th favourite and 51st favourite, and that gives them an easy cutoff. i can't do that - there are a few hundred films i might consider putting on a ballot, and i have trouble deciding among them. there are a few films, maybe a dozen, i can't leave off, like our hospitality, so i start with those. then i'll sort films by how i've rated them so i have a lot of candidates. from there, i like to put a few films on my ballot that it's unlikely many others have seen, just in case someone likes a lot of my ballot and wants to use it to discover some similar films (i use other people's ballots that way a lot). some people make their whole ballot that way - each year there are ballots where i've never even heard of 90% of the films on them - and those are often the most fascinating submissions, and i'm very happy we get them, but at the same time, they have almost no influence on the final top 100. so i probably include 10-15 films i know have no chance to get another vote, and the rest are films i think might have some more support. i tend not to include many films that are already part of the 'canon', since it doesn't seem they need to be recommended any more than they are. and i tend to favour films i've seen more recently, especially in the last year, since that will mean my ballot changes each year - if our ballots didn't change, there'd be no reason to make the poll an annual exercise. beyond that, i just go with what i feel like voting for on the day i make the ballot. :)

that's just how i do it, others do it very differently. but whatever criteria you decide on, i'd love to get your ballot, i'd be really interested to see what's on it, and even if you choose fifty films purely randomly from a set of three hundred favourites or whatever, the ballot will still reflect what you care about in film so that would be a perfectly reasonable way to decide!
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

I'm starting with just taking every movie I've given 5/5 to on LBD... MADDENINGLY enough, I've given that to exactly 99 movies #@%&$#*%#$*&%*(&#$ :lol:

So after fitting in one more 4.5/5, I'll separate them into one group I know will be around my top 10-20, one I know will be around 20-50, and then one group for all the rest. Then if I'm lazy I'll just rank them based on intuition; if I'm feeling particularly insane I will do an entire simulated round robin tournament bracket online, seeing which movie i prefer to which other, by intuition, 50000 times, and end up with a resultant list from that...

Edit: I see it's a list of your 50 favourite films, actually. But w/e; good excuse to make my top 100 anyway! And then I'll just post the top 50 for this poll
FLABREZU

Post by FLABREZU »

i finished my list and then my browser crashed before i posted it
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

How I chose my ballot: One thing that disappointed me with my ballot last year was that over half of my selections were US productions. In part to counter that, I decided that next time I would divide up my list into general headings and specific categories, so to make sure the list accurately reflected my interests while also representing several national cinemas and types of film. This was also helpful as a guide to my viewing throughout the year, trying to make sure that I had a good option for every heading (though some are stronger recommendations than others). Next year I hope to have a bigger pool to choose from in all these categories, and a bigger pool of potential categories. I especially hope to be able to include classic Mexican cinema, which I've as yet barely explored.

If anyone's interested in what my headings and categories were, I've included it within spoiler tags below.
Spoiler!
Studio-era Hollywood (fifteen)
— A favourite silent slapstick comedy (The Goat)
— A favourite silent horror film (The Magician)
— A favourite screwball comedy (Trouble in Paradise)
— A favourite pre-Code (Hold Your Man)
— A favourite melodrama (A Kiss Before Dying)
— A favourite gangster film (Little Caesar)
— A favourite film noir (I Wouldn’t Be In Your Shoes!)
— A favourite early sound horror film (Murders in the Rue Morgue)
— A favourite 1950s sci-fi/horror film (The Man from Planet X)
— A favourite early sound musical (Gold Diggers of 1933)
— A favourite 1940s and 1950s musical (Meet Me in St. Louis)
— A favourite animated cartoon (Stop That Noise)
— A favourite silent western (Soft Shoes)
— A favourite sound-era B series western (The Silver Bullet)
— A favourite sound-era A western (The Searchers)
Early cinema (five)
— A favourite Societe Lumiere film (Leaving Jerusalem by Railway)
— A favourite Georges Méliès (The Impossible Voyage)
— A favourite Alice Guy(-Blache) (The Irresistible Piano)
— A favourite early British film (Suffragette Demonstration in London (June 1910))
— A favourite early American film (The Land Beyond the Sunset)
Avant-garde and activist cinema (five)
— A favourite silent-era avant-garde film (Autumn Mists)
— A favourite landscape or natural elements film (Fog Line)
— A favourite diary film, essay film, or collage film (American Dreams (Lost and Found))
— A favourite anti-colonial or anti-racist film (Black Girl)
— A favourite queer film (Different from the Others)
Italian cinema (five)
— A favourite Italian neorealist film (Bitter Rice)
— A favourite peplum (The Slave)
— A favourite western all'italiana (A Pistol for Ringo)
— A favourite Italian horror film (gothic, giallo, etc.) (The Whip and the Body)
— A favourite Italian arthouse film (Red Desert)
German cinema (five)
— A favourite Wilhelmine-era silent comedy (Zapata’s Gang)
— A favourite Wilhelmine-era silent drama (The Student of Prague)
— A favourite Weimar-era silent comedy (The Oyster Princess)
— A favourite Weimar-era silent drama (The Hands of Orlac)
— A favourite Edgar Wallace krimi film (The Fellowship of the Frog)
British cinema (five)
— A favourite British fiction film of the 1930s (Cheer Up)
— A favourite British documentary movement film (Spare Time)
— A favourite Powell and Pressburger (Black Narcissus)
— A favourite classic British comedy (Passport to Pimlico)
— A favourite British sci-fi/horror film (Horrors of the Black Museum)
Hong Kong cinema (five)
— A favourite HK musical or melodrama (Air Hostess)
— A favourite HK comedy film (The Contract)
— A favourite HK sci-fi, horror, or fantasy film (Super Inframan)
— A favourite HK martial arts film (My Young Auntie)
— A favourite HK modern action film (Yes, Madam!)
Japanese cinema (five)
— A favourite Mikio Naruse (Wife! Be Like a Rose!)
— A favourite chanbara (The Famous Sword Bijomaru)
— A favourite Japanese sci-fi/horror film (Godzilla)
— A favourite Japanese noir or yakuza film (Blueprint of Murder)
— A favourite anime (Flying Phantom Ship)
Personal fun suggestions, based on things I’ve delighted in or explored over the past year (five)
— A favourite academic inspiration movie (All the World’s Memory)
— A favourite gender affirmation movie (Switching Goals)
— A favourite movie about Marxism (Happiness)
— A favourite movie about Judaism and Christianity (Ordet)
— A favourite Miss Marple movie (Murder at the Gallop)
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

DOH -- moved my list to the actual poll thread where it belongs....
Last edited by Roscoe on Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
wba

Post by wba »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:52 pm i can't remember ever doing this at all. (doesn't mean i haven't, we're all old now) how does everyone choose their 50? just the first ones that come to mind? rigorous statistical analysis of various ratings? films you think History needs to be aware of? films that have prised themselves into your intricate innards? films that are FILM? i don't know how to begin.
the 50 films I love the most (out of my 2000 favorite films, which I all love). So it's 50 you can't live without, that haunt you in your dreams, that live with you like a good friend.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
sally

Post by sally »

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:32 pm If anyone's interested in what my headings and categories were, I've included it within spoiler tags below.
i love your headings and categories! and what fun to fill them all, but i think that would be even harder for me as it just multiplies the arguments...so am going with this:
wba wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:09 pm So it's 50...that haunt you in your dreams
even if i think it's brilliant, if i'm not haunted, it's out. and some very crappy movies are in. i think i'm just going to browse every film i've logged on letterboxd and then whittle it down from there in degrees of stomach clenches. we've got a month. i think.
Evelyn Library P.I.

I believe we're due for the next iteration of this, though only if Flip has space for the work involved of course.
flip

Post by flip »

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:33 pm I believe we're due for the next iteration of this, though only if Flip has space for the work involved of course.
i'll be happy to open discussions about this fairly soon, but at this exact moment, i don't really have the head space for it unfortunately. :(

i would really like to do something different with the poll, because i'm decreasingly persuaded of the value of producing polls with similar top 20s every year, so i suppose in the interim, people can consider whether they'd like any changes to the process.

and naturally if anyone else would like to take the reins of the top 100, that's cool too!
Evelyn Library P.I.

flip wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:04 pm
Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:33 pm I believe we're due for the next iteration of this, though only if Flip has space for the work involved of course.
i'll be happy to open discussions about this fairly soon, but at this exact moment, i don't really have the head space for it unfortunately. :(

i would really like to do something different with the poll, because i'm decreasingly persuaded of the value of producing polls with similar top 20s every year, so i suppose in the interim, people can consider whether they'd like any changes to the process.

and naturally if anyone else would like to take the reins of the top 100, that's cool too!
Not a worry, of course! Just wanted to mention it, but no rush or indeed any need to do it at all.

Come to think of it, I could see myself enjoying doing polls, so I'm certainly open to running some. Of course, I wouldn't want to take over someone else's baby, unless that's what they wanted, but if the thought of the Best of All Time poll is just a headache, then I'd be willing to take it on. If it'd be fun for you though, I'd love for you to do it.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Top movies uve seen since covid (can or can't include rewatches either or)
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
Silga

Post by Silga »

Curtis, baby wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:52 pm Top movies uve seen since covid (can or can't include rewatches either or)
Great idea!
greennui

Post by greennui »

Curtis, baby wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:52 pm Top movies uve seen since covid (can or can't include rewatches either or)
I like it.