Guess the movie!

arkheia

Re: Guess the movie!

Post by arkheia »

You got it, Evelyn! Nicely done.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Thanks! My favourite part of the movie is probably the courtship of Leila Hyams and Roland Young, pictured above.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Evelyn Library P.I.

wba

Post by wba »

Evelyn wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:20 pm Image
something with a young David Hasselhoff?
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

Oh man... I forgot how popular David Hasselhoff is in Germany. When I lived there we always made jokes about it. I also thought it was hilarious that Kevin Costner's singing career took off there and nowhere else.

That guy in the pic reminds me of Sean Connery.
Evelyn Library P.I.

wba

Post by wba »

Umbugbene wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:05 am Oh man... I forgot how popular David Hasselhoff is in Germany. When I lived there we always made jokes about it. I also thought it was hilarious that Kevin Costner's singing career took off there and nowhere else.

That guy in the pic reminds me of Sean Connery.
Yeah, he was actually on a German sunday morning TV show a few weeks ago, that was filmed like 500 metres from my home. :D
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

I imagine the circle of fans had a radius much wider than 500 meters :rofl: You must have been trapped in your home for hours by the crowd!

The funny thing is, Germans always used to produce great music (Beethoven, Wagner, etc.), and they even have good rock and techno, so how could the same country go apeshit for David Hasselhoff and Kevin Costner? :?
wba

Post by wba »

Umbugbene wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:19 pm I imagine the circle of fans had a radius much wider than 500 meters :rofl: You must have been trapped in your home for hours by the crowd!

The funny thing is, Germans always used to produce great music (Beethoven, Wagner, etc.), and they even have good rock and techno...
I think you mistake Germany for some kind of cultural haven, when the fact is that 99.9% of people here couldn't care less about Beethoven, Wagner or even good rock music. :D

Hasselhoff has some kind of cult status as some kind of "village idiot" thing here in Germany, but it is very, very limited. I doubt there where any crowds at all.

I like the guy because of the Knight Rider TV series (which I have been watching for the last 8 years or so), and because I was a huge fan when I was 4 and 5 years old.
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

No crowds? I would be disappointed if the Hasselhoff jokes weren't grounded in a nationwide obsession. I did get a sampling of Germans' bad tastes at some of the summer festivals, where the bands were embarrassing.

Sorry Evelyn for getting off topic. It's a tribute to the uncrackable enigma of your movie stills that we've wandered so far afield.
wba

Post by wba »

Umbugbene wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:23 am No crowds? I would be disappointed if the Hasselhoff jokes weren't grounded in a nationwide obsession. I did get a sampling of Germans' bad tastes at some of the summer festivals, where the bands were embarrassing.
Sorry to disappoint you. :(

There really is no Hasselhoff obsession, actual (current) fanbase or any such thing in Germany. Hasselhoff being a star in Germany is a myth, but there is a kernel of truth, cause he used to be a star during the 80s (and some part of the 90s, cause of Baywatch). So he is something of an ex-star, someone you get on TV when you're talking about "the 80s", for example.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Umbugbene wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:23 am Sorry Evelyn for getting off topic. It's a tribute to the uncrackable enigma of your movie stills that we've wandered so far afield.
Lol, love it, thank you! Let's see if I can uncrack this enigma...
Evelyn Library P.I.

mesnalty

Post by mesnalty »

Juliet of the Spirits
Evelyn Library P.I.

Yes!
mesnalty

Post by mesnalty »

mesnalty

Post by mesnalty »

Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

Carnival of Souls!
mesnalty

Post by mesnalty »

Indeed!
wba

Post by wba »

arkheia wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:40 pm You got it, Evelyn! Nicely done.
I was actually wondering from which movie your avatar is from, arkheia. :D
Evelyn Library P.I.

wba wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:33 am I was actually wondering from which movie your avatar is from, arkheia. :D
Doubt it's a movie, I expect it's a news photo and/or publicity still, but arkheia will know better than I, of course.
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

I'm busier than expected right now, so if someone who hasn't had a lot of turns wants to grab a chance, please go ahead. Or anyone with an amazing still that will stump us all.
liquidnature

Post by liquidnature »

i'll go!

Last edited by liquidnature on Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
:lboxd:
Evelyn Library P.I.

Manhattan?
Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

The Little Fugitive?
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
arkheia

Post by arkheia »

wba wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:33 am I was actually wondering from which movie your avatar is from, arkheia. :D
I didn't recognize it from any W.C. Fields movies so I think Evelyn is right, it looks to be a publicity still or news photo. Unfortunately I can't seem to find much more about it on the web so it's difficult to know exactly when/where/for what occasion it was taken.
liquidnature

Post by liquidnature »

arkheia wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:54 am
I didn't recognize it from any W.C. Fields movies so I think Evelyn is right, it looks to be a publicity still or news photo. Unfortunately I can't seem to find much more about it on the web so it's difficult to know exactly when/where/for what occasion it was taken.
Looks like it has something to do with this short film: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022883/
liquidnature

Post by liquidnature »

Not Manhattan or The Little Fugitive.

arkheia

Post by arkheia »

liquidnature wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:35 am Looks like it has something to do with this short film: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022883/
Thanks for catching that! I double-checked the film though and that photo used for the cover doesn't appear in it at all. :think:
I'm guessing that the label Synergy Entertainment just used it because it complemented the title.