SCFZ poll: Tony Scott

flip

Re: SCFZ poll: Tony Scott

Post by flip »

ok, schrader will definitely work since zulawski presumably has 8+ (and i'm sure others do too), so we'll go with him if zeki doesn't meet the criteria - still looking for more 8+ zeki viewers though!
john ryan

Post by john ryan »

I have 6 Zeki, 8 Schrader
:lboxd:
oscarwerner

Post by oscarwerner »

i have 9 Schrader, 1 Zeki
josiahmorgan11

Post by josiahmorgan11 »

6 zeki / 7 schrader

i'm happy to watch two more zeki specifically for the poll as long as i don't have to do it in advance of voting
rischka

Post by rischka »

7 zeki and 6 schrader
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

Seen 7

True Romance
The Last Boy Scout
Man on Fire

Always wanted to see The Hunger, but I don't think I'll be able to get to it in the near future. I can't say I think he's a great filmmaker. But I do find him fascinating, and prefer him to Ridley. I have no idea if The Fan is actually scary, but I saw it when I was pretty young, and it definitely traumatized me.
wba

Post by wba »

Hi, wba here.

The better Scott. Not a fan though.

01. The Hunger
02. The Last Boy Scout
03. Enemy of the State

Scott seen: 8
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
flip

Post by flip »

a lot of films got several votes, i wonder if a similar thing would happen if we polled other vulgar auteur favourites like paul ws anderson. no support for beverly hills cop 2, revenge, or the fan:

results

1. Deja Vu (2006) -- 27 pts
2. Unstoppable (2010) -- 22 pts
3. True Romance (1993) -- 20 pts
4. Man on Fire (2004) -- 19 pts
5. Domino (2005) -- 18 pts
6. Enemy of the State (1998) -- 15 pts
7. The Hunger (1983) -- 14 pts
7. Crimson Tide (1995) -- 14 pts
9. Spy Game (2001) -- 7 pts
10. The Last Boy Scout (1991) -- 6 pts
11. The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009) -- 5 pts
12. Top Gun (1986) -- 5 pts
13. Days of Thunder (1990) -- 3 pts
flip

Post by flip »

if anyone missed a chance to vote in this poll, i'll accept ballots posted today - please don't consider the results when voting though!

Post by ... »

If we did Paul WS Anderson there would probably be a lot of near duplicate lists because he's only got 14 movies on Letterboxd and one of them hasn't been released yet and another is Mortal Kombat. Not many options to choose from. Though I'd personally be amused to vote all four of his Resident Evil films at the top of a list and whatever else as a fifth.
Silga

Post by Silga »

I for one cannot think of any reason as to why people hold Paul WS Anderson as somewhat respectable auteur. I find the use of this 'vulgar' term as a tool to justify any chaotic film-making that delivers muddled and pretentious results. I've only seen 4 films from him (Soldier, Event Horizon, Mortal Kombat and Death Race). I was never interested in Resident Evil both in film and video games. I also tried to watch his Musketeers film, but it was unbearable to finish therefore cannot rate it.

Of the one's I've seen - I would call Event Horizon as a rather successful attempt to deliver menacing, claustrophobic sci-fi and I respect its cult status.

On the other hand, Mortal Kombat falls into the same category as Schrader's Dominion. Both are strong contenders for the worst film of all time.

I admire Tony Scott and never thought of his films as some vulgar auteurism. Just a quality film-making. That's it.
Joks Trois

Post by Joks Trois »

^^Yeah I don't consider Scott to be a VA either.

Anderson is pretty much junk to me. Some good images here and there, but he doesn't really know how to pull it all together.
Joks Trois

Post by Joks Trois »

flip wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:19 pm a lot of films got several votes, i wonder if a similar thing would happen if we polled other vulgar auteur favourites like paul ws anderson. no support for beverly hills cop 2, revenge, or the fan
I rewatched Revenge last year. It's actually a decent film, but it has been forgotten like most Costner films.

Beverly HIlls Cop 2 is arguably superior to the original. It's certainly better made, although perhaps not as 'fresh' or 'spontaneous'.

The Fan has some really good scenes, but it just doesn't work as a whole and was basically a missed opportunist. Could have been one of his best.
flip

Post by flip »