2018 In Review Letterboxd Statpalooza

kanafani

Re: 2018 In Review Letterboxd Statpalooza

Post by kanafani »

Umbugbene wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:28 am
kanafani wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:52 pm If you have ideas of more stuff to run, let me know.
How about a list of all movies logged by every single member?
Here ya go. This is out of 39 champs:

kanafani

Post by kanafani »

greg x wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:09 am Rango, Cloudy with Chance of Meatballs stand out
Seeing Cloudy with Chance of Meatballs on the list, I thought maybe there's a bug in my code, so I double-checked:
It got 4 ratings: Flip (3), owene (4.5), JohnRyan (4.5) and gregx (4)

Rango got 4 ratings as well: Silga (5), JohnRyan (4), gregx (4), liquidnature (3)
Silga

Post by Silga »

I stand with Rango. One of the best films of the 21st century. Characterization, writing, music and that unique Gore Verbinski touch.

Post by ... »

Heh. I knew I was partly to blame since I seem to rate mid-tier movies more generously than most and leave the extreme ratings on either side as rare exceptions. I've got no problem with one of those making the list, both though does seem a bit much. I should have left Rango at 3.5 I guess.

The thing I liked about Rango was how it acted kinda like a meta-commentary on the history of desert movies from Hollywood. It' played with tropes from a panoply of movies where water is the needed essential. And, yeah, Verbinski is at least an interesting director, not always great, but different enough within the genres he works in to gain my attention. As a thing unto itself I liked Cloudy better for being the more plastic and open movie in use of its animation. Not enough mainstream films are really inventive in that regard and Cloudy went with it.
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

Thanks Kanafani for the additional stats! The only one of those I haven't seen is Heat. Apparently the ceiling of 25 was for ratings as opposed to logs.
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

Which champ has seen the most from SCFZ lists (as well as a few non-SCFZ popular lists)?

kanafani

Post by kanafani »

What percentage of those lists did you log?

kanafani

Post by kanafani »

OK, one last thing. I've written some code to measure similarity between different champs. This is a metric that describes how similar (or not similar) are the ratings of two champs.

Here's the formula.

The As are your normalized ratings (i.e. I subtract your overall average rating from your individual ratings). The Bs are some other champ's normalized ratings (of the movies you have in common).
The similarity is a value between -1 and 1. A value of 1 indicates perfect similarity (that is the value you get if you compare yourself to yourself). A value of -1 is perfect dissimilarity (e.g. "anything I rate as above average, this guy rates as below average ALL THE TIME).
A value close to zero indicates orthogonality, meaning there is no correlation between the two champs' ratings (i.e. they are all over the place, there is no pattern).

For you nerds out there, this is called cosine similarity.
Last edited by kanafani on Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

How to read this table:
  • Highest: The champ you share the highest similarity with.
  • HNumMovies: How many ratings you have in common with your friend.
  • HAA: Percentage of those ratings where both your ratings were above your overall average (i.e. you both liked it)
  • HBB:Percentage of those ratings where both your ratings were below your overall average (i.e. you both disliked it)
  • HAB:Percentage of those ratings where you rated it above average, and friend rated it below average
  • HBA:Percentage of those ratings where you rated it below average, and friend rated it above average
  • Lowest: The champ you share the lowest similarity with.
  • LNumMovies: How many ratings you have in common with your "foe".
  • LAA: Percentage of those ratings where both your ratings were above your overall average (i.e. you both liked it)
  • LBB:Percentage of those ratings where both your ratings were below your overall average (i.e. you both disliked it)
  • LAB:Percentage of those ratings where you rated it above average, and friend rated it below average
  • LBA:Percentage of those ratings where you rated it below average, and friend rated it above average

kanafani

Post by kanafani »

Notes:
  • The highest similarity is 0.75, Patrick and Penalosa.
  • Gilfi and Matias tend to like the same movies (76.52% of their common ratings are above their respective averages).
  • I think the reason Silga shows up so much in the lowest column is because he tends to like Hollywood movies, which many champs tend to rate down. We love you Silga!
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

Full similarity table

Silga

Post by Silga »

Great stats, Kanafani!

I know I tend to go with Hollywood films, but I adore SCFZ as an encyclopedia of world cinema and a great community as a whole.

Most of the guidance I get in film exploration (lesser-known US films included) stems from SCFZ and its users.

Keep up with whatever ideas for stats you have, Kanafani!
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

This was amazing!! Thanks for all your hard work, kanafani. I'm going to go watch this Chain Gang Mickey Mouse short and Hedgehog in the Fog now, because Matias (my champ-match) has given them 5/5 and I hadn't even heard of them!
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Actually I had heard of Hedgehog in the Fog, and it was in fact on my list of ish to watch! FUCK YEAH!
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
MatiasAlbertotti

Post by MatiasAlbertotti »

Amazing work!! Love all the stats and different lists derived of them. I will make good use of the top 100 of the 40s.

I seem to be very popular in the numbers, or maybe I have a very standard taste. :P :P
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

Country breakdown for the top 1000 highest rated SCFZ movies.

The country is whatever letterboxd says it is. <undefined> are movies where the letterboxd 'country' tag was empty.

kanafani

Post by kanafani »

Year breakdown for the top 1000 SCFZ movies.

mesnalty

Post by mesnalty »

Does that mean Arthur has seen all but one of the TSPDT films? Inquiring minds want to know what the 1000th film is!
Silga

Post by Silga »

@kanafani , what are those 2 Lithuanian films that made it to SCFZ Highest Rated 1000?

I guess both films are from Sarunas Bartas.
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

Silga wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:12 pm @kanafani , what are those 2 Lithuanian films that made it to SCFZ Highest Rated 1000?

I guess both films are from Sarunas Bartas.
Number 478: Antigravitation (Audrius Stonys, 1995) - James (3.5), brotherdeacon (4), rischka (4), twodeadmagpies(4), mauries(5)
Number 765: Reminiscences of a Journey to Lithuania (Jonas Mekas, 1972): Kanafani, rischka, twodeadmagpies, mauries, meg (all 4 stars)
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

Full results for movies tagged as Lithuanian:

kanafani

Post by kanafani »

mesnalty wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:22 pm Does that mean Arthur has seen all but one of the TSPDT films? Inquiring minds want to know what the 1000th film is!
Well, the data I have says it's Bunuel' s the Young and the Damned, but I think he's logged it since I last read the data, so he is at 1000.
Silga

Post by Silga »

Thanks, Kanafani!

Arunas Matelis and Audrius Stonys are two really good documentary filmmakers. It's a shame that their work isn't easily accessible and most likely not available with English subtitles.

Matelis won Directors Guild of America award for Before Flying Back to Earth.
MatiasAlbertotti

I created the list for the top 100 of the 40s in Letterboxd, originally for my own private use (I'm trying to watch 100 movies from the 40s this year), but I thought maybe it would be good to share.

https://letterboxd.com/matiasalbertott/ ... 8-edition/

Let me know if it's ok, if not I'll just make it a private list.
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

MatiasAlbertotti wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:59 pm I created the list for the top 100 of the 40s in Letterboxd, originally for my own private use (I'm trying to watch 100 movies from the 40s this year), but I thought maybe it would be good to share.

Let me know if it's ok, if not I'll just make it a private list.
That's fine!
MatiasAlbertotti

I have some time so I decided I'll create all the top 100 lists per decade.

Here's the one for the 1920s
MatiasAlbertotti

List for the 1950s

I'm going slow, sorry.