Cannes 2021 Betting Thread

nrh

Re: Cannes 2021 Betting Thread

Post by nrh »

the coppola/crash thing (at least according to coppola) was assumption on cronenberg's part -

https://x.com/lou_kicks/status/1763097822826508393
flip

Post by flip »

it seems there were 9 people on the jury that year, plus coppola. i have a very distant recollection that the jury president doesn't get a vote (though they may have a lot of say in how others vote, in some years), so this is my speculation: roughly half the jury loved the film, and half hated it, and the first half really wanted to give it something and the second half really didn't, so they invented a special jury prize. i'm not sure i see a problem there -- i'd rather a film like that (that half a jury loves, i mean, not crash specifically) gets an award than one that everyone thinks is decent but not special.

i'd add that this is how our polls work. if half of scfz loves a film, and half hates it, that film is probably going to finish in the top ten in our annual poll.
Silga

Post by Silga »

nrh wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:05 am the coppola/crash thing (at least according to coppola) was assumption on cronenberg's part -

https://x.com/lou_kicks/status/1763097822826508393
Interesting how Coppola remembers it. Might be true, of course.

The story I wrote above was told to the audience before a screening of Crash this last March as I watched it for the first time at the festival during a special presentation.

Regardless of what happened, Crash is a really cool film, daring and different. Can't say I loved it, but I sure am happy to have finally watched it (and on a really big screen too - which helps for this film a lot).
wba

Post by wba »

Silga wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:39 pm in Cronenberg's case it was Francis Ford Coppola who was the president of the jury that year and he hated Crash so much that he firmly stood against giving Palme D'Or for it, while a majority of the jury wanted to.

When jury decided to present special award to Crash, Coppola even refused to present it to Cronenberg at the ceremony. :D

I wonder how they were around each other this year as they met again, this time both in competition. :D
Well, that's... :?
Hope Rasoulof wasn't hated against as much this year. ^^
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov