what are you reading?

brian d

Re: what are you reading?

Post by brian d »

haven't been doing as much reading recently, but managed to find a copy of tolstoy's essays from tula, which includes "the slavery of our times" among others, and it's really very nice and engaging. his novels are obviously good but also not too exciting for me, but the essays really give a good sense of his thought and might lead me to read the novels again at some point.
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
sally

Post by sally »

haven't really mentioned what i've been reading because it was all rather dull (apart from gert jonke's geometric regional novel) but just hoovered up césar aira's varamo and want to angrily wonder again why he hasn't had the nobel yet. he's got to be our best living novelist? and he just churns them out. amazing man.
brian d

Post by brian d »

after a long slump, where i did read a few things, i've gotten closer to my old self. reading gil scott-heron's the vulture. didn't know he wrote a couple of novels until a week or so ago.
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
wba

Post by wba »

I've also been slumping, reading only 13 books in the past 4 months, and am trying to pick the pace up a bit. Currently I'm reading "La cavalière Elsa" (1921) by Pierre Mac Orlan as well as "Winesburg, Ohio" (1919) by Sherwood Anderson - both are excellent, so far - and right now I'm also on the way to the library to pick up "Storia di domani" (1949) by Curzio Malaparte.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
sally

Post by sally »

reading (loving) very slowly (due to mild ecstatic faints) pascal quignard's hatred of music. i too fucking hate music (noise) right now. this guy has a 100% hit rate of making me delirious (have read one other book by him)