Letterboxd

wba

Re: Letterboxd

Post by wba »

sally wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:46 pm how do they know? do relatives do this level of account closure when someone dies? who would you even contact at letterboxd to inform them?

"schneeland" was an acquaintance of mine and of many of my friends and their acquaintances, and it was quite a shock for many when he died (also quite young). So I'm sure there were many people who took care that his websites and podcasts on film remain online (and thus, also, his letterboxd account). He was a well-loved and known cinephile in Germany, and I used to meet him frequently at many different film festivals throughout the country. He also travelled a lot and visited quite a number of film festivals abroad.

His last big project before his death was doing a podcast episode on every single film by Keisuke Kinoshita in chronological order (it's currently being continued by his collaborators): https://keisuke-kinoshita.de
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
sally

Post by sally »

ah, that's sad wba....i had just never seen anything like this on letterboxd before...to have the last iteration of the four favorite films stand as testament forever....
Last edited by sally on Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rischka

Post by rischka »

i think the first one was for eli hayes

didn't know abt schneeland, i've followed them a long time :'(

RIP
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
greennui

Post by greennui »

Thought that was Carolee Schneemann at first and was confused
cinesmith

Post by cinesmith »

rischka wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:37 pm pro users are allowed to clone lists. it is annoying
Yet you can't sort through members except by popularity.
It'd be nice if you could sort users by country of origin (or *gasp* translate reviews in foreign languages) of various members.
Perhaps just to eliminate all the reviews that are less than forty characters long?
I'd love to be able to specify whose followers aren't just logs of twitter followers but actual people on LBX.

I'm a pro user as well which had more to do with the ad blocking than the supposed perks
The sorted annual hours watched or actor who appeared in the most films viewed has got to be some of the most useless stats provided.
Anyone who watches more than just Hollywood drivel isn't going to give a damn.

Now that they've made a monthly newsletter and a podcast I'm even less inclined to bother.
They just keep modifying all the wrong stuff.
Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

sally wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:58 pm ah, that's sad
A deeply marginalized but quite brilliant writer named Nathaxnne disappeared from the site and I was all distraught, assuming that the long-feared worst had actually happened. All that marvelous prose apparently lost forever.
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
rischka

Post by rischka »

nathaxnne ♥♥♥ i checked periodically; when did they disappear? what a shame

they're still listed in google

ANTIFA 4-EVA

greennui

Post by greennui »

greennui

Post by greennui »

Tons of Eadweard Muybridge entries deleted, wonder if it was because of the nudity, that they weren't deemed films or both.
sally

Post by sally »

ah, so that's what it was, my count went down and i was bamboozled
greennui

Post by greennui »

#justice4eddy
sally

Post by sally »

lol!
Zynab

Post by Zynab »

just wanted to say i'm so glad nathaxnne is back. i love her reviews; seriously the best. i'm flattered she followed me back and interacts w me lol. even before i joined letterboxd i would lurk her profile from time to time as my ex bf had enthusiastically showed me some of her reviews. i hope she is healthy and happy / is doing as well as possible and that she stays on the site and keeps writing (as long as it serves her, of course. i know she got a lot of hate on many of her popular reviews which makes me sad...pearls before swine)!
greennui

Post by greennui »

rischka

Post by rischka »

xD i watched the godzilla and zatoichi series

ANTIFA 4-EVA

greennui

Post by greennui »

Don't recognize Robertson and Ström at all lol.

Not sure if it's a bug but if you click the in depth statistics you can see your all time stats as well.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

me stats

but here is my fav part of my yir. i am very proud of this. didn't watch any other movie more than once

prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

Someone directed me to this list on letterboxd today.

I never followed Zahler much. I saw Bone Tomohawk and found it reasonably entertaining, but not particularly exciting. All I know is that he's considered sort of a MAGA filmmaker by many people I interact with.

So I was kind of surprised his list was largely comprised of:

-Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were War Crimes
-Rebuke of fascism being treated as normal.
-Story of gay children
-Anarchist eco terrorists as the good guys heist movie
-American Colonialism is our country's original sin.

Couldn't help but read this as an overtly leftist list. Wonder if that was intended as some sort of provocation in and of itself.
nrh

Post by nrh »

still haven't seen godzilla minus one, and i know plenty of people who adored it, but the director is best known for the eternal zero, a weepy lost cause movie glorifying kamikaze pilots, based on a book by a war crimes denier...abe (rip, lol) and his wife attended and wept...not to mention great war of archimedes, an origin story of a ww2 battleship that is an icon to certain parts of the japanese far right...

the more interesting zahler lists was his grouping of favorite comics of the year, submitted as a comment on the comics journal's great as always best of the year article -

Baby Boom (Yokoyama) was my favorite and an all-time great manga/use of the medium. This book contains the most exciting daily chores in history (and might have come out very late 2022 in some markets).
The Gull Yettin (Kessler), Monica (Clowes), Life Under Tension (Harkness), I Wish I Was Stupid (Ebisu), Werewolf Jones & Sons (Hanselmann & Pettinger), Michael Mouse (Lohmeier), Tombs (Ito), Three Rocks (Griffith), and Night of the Ghoul (Snyder & Francavilla) are also special books.

which is high on formalism and artists who are pretty explicitly leftist/countercultural in their sensibilities (and the hacky snyder book, but whatever).

haven't seen any of his movies (only so much time in the day etc) but i do think that a lot of modern critics are fairly unequipped to read the various contradictions of the genres zahler works in, not to mention the fairly weird politics that a lot of americans of a certain age carry.
rischka

Post by rischka »

yeah godzilla minus zero can be read as reclaiming their lost honor -- the hero is a failed kamikaze pilot

big contrast to someone like obayashi who was trying to exorcise demons of militarism

i saw zahler's cellblock 99 movie and it seemed like a MAGA wet dream to me - vince vaughn fighting off hordes of minorities who hate him for his whiteness

but i already hate vince vaughn so could be biased :P haven't seen a kore-eda in years, just can't get into it

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

rischka wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:09 pm haven't seen a kore-eda in years, just can't get into it
Monster is not going to convert anyone. But I thought it was very sweet. Other than Shoplifters I find all his films charming, sweet, and kind of forgettable.
cinesmith

Post by cinesmith »

2023 stats

DIARY ENTRIES
REVIEWS
HOURS
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy