Zephyr

rischka

Re: Zephyr

Post by rischka »

across the wide missouri (wellman 1951) furtrapping adventure w/clark gable, adolph menjou, ricardo montalban (as an indian)

watched for the rocky mountain views, the film is a mess and wellman disowned it but it's very pretty

the voiceover added to cover the studio's hatchet job doesn't work at all

that's about it for my summer of westerns :cowboy: i'm already figuring how i can make a short trip this fall to see the aspens ..
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
greennui

Post by greennui »

The Magnificent Seven 1960 Directed by John Sturges - I'm glad Hollywood realized that Horst Buchholz isn't it.

Heller in Pink Tights 1960 Directed by George Cukor - Snooze. Is there a famous classic actor with a more mediocre filmography than Sophia Loren?

Bend of the River 1952 Directed by Anthony Mann - First time that a Mann-Stewart Western clicked for me.

The Outlaw 1943 Directed by Howard Hughes - Think this one's unfairly shunned and maligned. An enjoyable weird western. Lots of homoerotic flourishes, a goofy melodramatic score reminiscent of Tulio at times.
rischka

Post by rischka »

ha well on my bday i rewatched oklahoma for nostalgia reasons. love the songs and especially agnes demille's dance sequences including the nightmare ballet

:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
greennui

Post by greennui »

Union Pacific 1939 Directed by Cecil B. DeMille - Too overstuffed. Stanwyck was cute af in it though. She spoke with an accent now and then which I initially thought was her character being facetious but no she was actually playing an Irish character, with an accent that came and went...