Noirvember

greennui

Re: Noirvember

Post by greennui »

rischka wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:21 pm
449 to go on tspdt 1000 noirs list!! also look out greennui i am coming for you and i bet i have way more official shorts to watch :P
I've got 668 to go lol. Currently working myself to 50% watched on the outdated tspdt list: https://letterboxd.com/filmantrop/list/ ... oir-films/ 6 more to watch. You should watch more official shorts!

Rewatched a few ones I barely remembered:¨

The Killing (Kubrick) - Still holds upp. Fantastic bit players all around (Marie Windsor and Elisha Cook jr esp)

The Killers (Siodmak) - I remember not liking this one at the time and I didn't like it now as well, just didn't care about anyone or anything in this film. Ava Gardner had way too little screen time as well.

Dial M for Murder - Ray Milland just does nothing for me, ruins pretty much every film with his non presence.
rischka

Post by rischka »

thx for that slightly more manageable list - i still need 39 films there :lol:

roadblock (harold daniels? 1951) tries to set itself up like 'detour' but quickly veers into the dumbest plot i've seen in some time

los angeles river chase couldn't salvage anything here. totally unbelievable character arcs
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
rischka

Post by rischka »

extreme prejudice (walter hill 1987) western neonoir with a great texas cast

80s duel in the sun + top secret military caper? lifelong friends nick nolte and powers boothe face off in the desert!

this has to be one of hill's best films

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

still working on this 1000 noirs project! 554 and 555 were both pretty good!

Cause for alarm (garnett 1951) i can't usually stand loretta young for all the reasons seen here but once cornered she was very convincing! and it reminded me i love noir cuz it soothes my anxiety :lol: i nearly felt sorry for her

city that never sleeps (auer 1953) chicago version of the naked city (and i liked it better)

Spoiler!
marie windsor gets a terrific death scene in this

the central story is about a cop and family (so cw: copaganda, anti-feminism) but i nearly felt sorry for him too :p it's pulpy as a comic book or like someone else said, an old time radio show. and shot in a way that's fun to watch.

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

Silmät hämärässä (itkonen 1952) aka eyes in the dark. a writer spins tales of crime and madness about several other characters... almost like the naked city!

flashback structure with water transition got old fast and i don't think it tied together that well, probably more psychological drama than noir but certainly dark

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

i've gained a couple of icm spots but need 30 to catch the next person... and 50 to catch you greennui. not this year :cry:

johnny o'clock (rossen 1947)

love me some smartass dick powell. btw i've heard the same hardboiled joke in two films now: someone says, 'c'mere' and their partner says 'i've been there' :P

ANTIFA 4-EVA

greennui

Post by greennui »

Beyond the Forest (King Vidor, 1949) - Wild Bette Davis performance.

Tension (John Berry, 1949) - Audrey Totter hot as always but my god Richard Basehart what a dull screen presence.

The Girl on the Bridge (Hugo Haas, 1951) - Beverly Michaels actually playing a nice girl in this, mostly a vehicle for Haas to deal with his Holocaust survivor guilt.

While the City Sleeps (Fritz Lang, 1956) - Ida Lupino def top 3 sexy noir voices.
rischka

Post by rischka »

plunder road (cornfield 1957) a very decent heist film i had never heard of before

high wall (bernhardt 1947) not great but a different role for audrey totter as a doctor

the strange affair of uncle harry (siodmak 1945) a gothic thriller with george sanders playing a nice guy! do NOT watch the stupid ending

danger signal (florey 1945) for fans of zachary scott, he's at his MOST zachary scott here

i still have more :D

ANTIFA 4-EVA

rischka

Post by rischka »

rogue cop (rowland 1954) sadly it's not nearly as much fun as 'shield for murder' from the same year. just another cop on the take who is eventually shamed into redemption. i never have liked robert taylor and he plays a big creep here.

and then i watched 'i was a communist for the fbi' (douglas 1951). i had hoped this might be fun as well but instead it was offensively stupid, kinda like dinesh d'souza films. oh well they can't all be winners! another noirvember in the books and i didn't even get to those japanese detective movies

ANTIFA 4-EVA

Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

NOIR REPORT!

i only started on nov 26, the month got away from me \\:

beyond the forest // dir. king vidor, 1949
PRETTY BORING!

criminal court // dir. robert wise, 1946
OK! i am a sucker for courtroom noirs. so, ymmv

heat // dir. michael mann, 1995
NEO-NOIR ALERT!! this was great. nothing transcendental (for me anyway) but that's life i guess

knock on any door // dir. nicholas ray, 1949
consider that nick made FIVE (!) noirs from 1948 to 1950, and they vary from pretty good to the greatest images committed to film. this one is in the middle for me, it's great. also, i want to both be and kiss john derek

moonrise // dir. frank borzage, 1948
flukily this sorta paired with the last one. complete fluke! so that was kinda neat. the problem? it sucks, stupid protestant bullshit. cloyingly infatuated with its own ethical outlooks, myopic and intellectually infantile. fuck turning yourself in man. it is unfortunate b/c halfway through i thought it was great, and also that there was a pretty cool queer reading. then it got on some crime and pun on steroids "killing a horrible person in self-defence will eat away at your soul" bullshit
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy