Last Watched

Zynab

Re: Last Watched

Post by Zynab »

just watched my first raffaello matarazzo (nobody's children). um...i'm in awe!!! this is a real gamechanger for me as a melodrama obsessive. hate myself for sleeping on matarazzo this long. i immediately want to see more but i'm afraid i'll spontaneously combust while watching the sequel to this movie because apparently it's even better (hard to imagine as nobody's children is already the platonic ideal of melodrama imo)
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Two new instant favourites that were barely on my radar until the S&S Critics' Poll top 250:

The Watermelon Woman (1996, Cheryl Dunye)

The Watermelon Woman is very much a film that plays to my tastes: Meta fun and cinematic playfulness. It is a bit like a snazzier Clerks/90s indie merged with some Spike Lee/Godard sensibilities and cinephilia/social relevance.

I loved the mix of VHS and HD as our lead, Cheryl Dunye is playing herself, a video clerk and aspiring filmmaker attempting to make a documentary on a (fictional) black actress from classic Hollywood. A part of the magic of the film is that you actually start to believe the actress is real. The recreation of 30s cinema was incredibly impressive.

The acting can be a bit rough at times, but it suits the style and doesn't detract - it really has that low to no budget charm, filled with zingers and back and forths, and with the added plus of Dunye addressing the camera directly and creating a lot of excitement both around cinema itself and black cinema history, not to forget the taboo presence of lesbian love behind the camera in classic Hollywood (I wonder if the fictional director was inspired by Dorothy Arzner).

Anyhow, it is charming, in your face in the right ways and really having fun with the creation of the film, while also touching on a lot of topics for contemplation. Extremely happy the recent S&S poll will bring this film onto the radar of more people.

(Also, THAT lip-synch scene is GOLD!)

Born in Flames (1983, Lizzie Borden)

Born in Flames is one of the smartest sci-fi I've seen. Set in the near future, 10 years after a peaceful Social Democratic revolution in the US, women are still facing violence and discrimination. It is the only "dystopian" film I've seen where the dystopian future is better than the present (especially the then present). The narrative is eerily believable and brings to mind the old brush-off feminism got within the left with "first our revolution, then yours" as well as the idea that things can magically be fixed. A large portion of the film is spent examining debates, different groups of feminists, including the women's liberation army, which many find too passive, showing a splintered world and how the authority responds to and discusses discontent.

It reminded me of Watkins without the faux doc style, especially in how it used TV footage and other media to make it's world feel real and lived in, from casual sexism of commentators to dismissals of those with grievances of being spoiled/not understanding how much better things are, to the radio stations run by women's groups addressing their audience - all amidst the celebration of "The War on Liberation". Eerily believable events, such as news footage of massive discontent amongst white men, feeling women and minorities get preferential treatment in the job market, is mixed into a vast social narrative. It asks questions about the status quo, the dangers of sliding back, and reminds us that progress must always be fought for. Meanwhile, the film is nuanced enough to have an examination of tactics, different views and never taking a strict stance, leaving much to our imagination as to how we feel about the events and the factions - though as the narrative progresses the nature of disenfranchisement becomes more pronounced.

(The ending may be particularly controversial today)
Zynab

Post by Zynab »

i love born in flames!! eternal classic. her movie working girls is equally great imo; quite different but also about women's agency.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Cheers, will make sure to seek it out soon.
nrh

Post by nrh »

revisited axelle ropert's first movie etoile violette ahead of the retrospective playing in brooklyn this month (it's the one movie they couldn't figure out the rights for), and i genuinely think i love it. of course it has hot serge bozon as lonesome tailor and lou castel as rousseau, but i love how she uses the 40-ish minute format, and the degree to which the emotional weight seems to shift every time i revisit this (this time emmanuel levaufre's night school teacher feels like the key).

and always forget you get both pierre and vladimir leon as part of the student group...
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Never heard of this one, looks great. Watchlisted.
nrh

Post by nrh »

St. Gloede wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:02 pm Never heard of this one, looks great. Watchlisted.
have you seen any of the other ropert movies? i love this one but it's probably not the one to start with (would pick tirez la langue mademoiselle, which is my favorite and the favorite of most of the other people i know).
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I have not, only Petite solange was on my radar before, though I like starting at the beginning when possible - and this one is super short. How would you describe tirez la langue mademoiselle? From the visuals I could find it looks very interesting. Would you compare it to any other films/directors?
nrh

Post by nrh »

she's kind of in a fascinating space. starts as a critic for the small but influential lettre du cinema magazine and other places like les inrocks, sometimes a very harsh critic, writes or co-writes everything by serge bozon (who is easily the most famous of that small group).

but for her i'd say - an interest in the movies of the '30s, the neighborhood movie, a disarming simplicity (or seeming of simplicity). reminds me most of diagonale movies like simone barbes or the diagonale related faubourg st. martin
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

visualtraining wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:15 am i love born in flames!! eternal classic. her movie working girls is equally great imo; quite different but also about women's agency.
Thank you for the push, Working Girls was excellent - slight preference for Born in Flames, but that could change.

I really loved the way we finally got a film on sex work that showed it, fully, as work - a bit of a dead-end job with a fake nice manager, boredom, chit-chat, and the particular uneasiness and issues that come with the profession. I'm also not sure we have had films where the sex workers are so well-defined and explored as people. An unfair comparison that grew in my mind was to the completely different Vecchiali film Rosa la rose, fille publique, from the same year, which goes into, essentially, iconography/fantasy/idolism/fetishism - but then that's Vecchiali. I must be missing some films that should be at the top of my head - but regardless: it is impressive, daring, witty and cutting - and all with the largely limited location.

Just as in Born in Flames, Borden did so much with the low budget and made it work to it's advantage. Here, it feels like you are trapped on the shift with these women, and she makes the space feel lived-in (a phrase I used when describing Born in Flames as well).

I will definitely be looking into Borden's other work as well - though nothing else seems to have gotten similar reception (with these two being available through Criterion). If anyone has additional Borden recommendations or films like this, just shoot.

I also have to say that the scene where:
Spoiler!
Our protagonist is pretending not to be queer and even saying "do I look like a dyke" to soothe the fears of a young new girl working there was particularly cutting and sad. There were many eerie and creepy scene, but that one stood out to me.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

nrh wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:00 pm she's kind of in a fascinating space. starts as a critic for the small but influential lettre du cinema magazine and other places like les inrocks, sometimes a very harsh critic, writes or co-writes everything by serge bozon (who is easily the most famous of that small group).

but for her i'd say - an interest in the movies of the '30s, the neighborhood movie, a disarming simplicity (or seeming of simplicity). reminds me most of diagonale movies like simone barbes or the diagonale related faubourg st. martin
That's a really good sell. I started with Étoile violette as it was so short and it really just breezed by. I loved the simplicity you are referring to. Reminded me a little of Eugene Green (a director I also should see more from). I'm a sucker for these kinds of stripped-down and "pure" performances and presentations, especially when it has something more bubbling under the surface. The focus on loneliness/isolation and the similarities between our lead and the Rousseau we are presented with hit well, and the film is just filled with so much charm, even if it may be a little slight (mainly running time). With this as a debut I'm really excited to see what Ropert went on to do, and I have Miss and the Doctors lined up now. Will likely see it this week.
nrh

Post by nrh »

St. Gloede wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:18 pm Reminded me a little of Eugene Green (a director I also should see more from).
she is one of the people who appears in cameo in green's le ponts des arts in a theater scene that is a kind of who's who of a certain strain of outsiderish younger directors in french movies at that point, so there is definitely an affinity there. i do like green's work up until portuguese nun (dreary tourism) and hated la sapienza so much i didn't bother to see anything since. heard his last few were good though.
Zynab

Post by Zynab »

St. Gloede wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:12 pm Thank you for the push, Working Girls was excellent - slight preference for Born in Flames, but that could change.
glad you liked it!! you've articulated what's great about the film so well. oh and! it's the favorite film of a friend of mine who's a sex worker--she also found it realistic, funny, and deeply humanizing.

i'm really curious about borden's erotic thriller films. all of them (inside out, erotique, love crimes) seem to have been poorly received...but i wouldn't be surprised if they're actually great / are of significant interest. i think i'll watch one this week! thanks for mentioning borden and getting me thinking about her work again.
nrh

Post by nrh »

visualtraining wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:23 am love crimes
love crimes is amazing, even in its compromised form. but i say this as someone who doesn't really like her earlier movies.

should say i have no idea why working girls is less famous than born in flames.
Zynab

Post by Zynab »

nrh wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:44 am love crimes is amazing, even in its compromised form. but i say this as someone who doesn't really like her earlier movies.

ooh good to hear! i'll start with that. agree re: working girls. to me it's a feminist / american independent filmmaking classic.
ezlux9

Post by ezlux9 »

Just watched Sledgehammer from 1983. Super early SOV sleazy horror movie. Didn't realize it was the guys that made Deadly Prey. Very ineptly made, but sometimes veers into outsider art territory. Some of the quirks of its super cheap production add to this strangely oppressive atmosphere the film has and the ending bit is legitimately great. It's also refreshing to watch a slasher that's so slowly paced, like 50 solid minutes of nothing happening.
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (5.01 KiB) Viewed 871 times
sally

Post by sally »

nrh wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:53 pm of course it has hot serge bozon
hi, i am always interested in exploring more female directors :D do you have this available to share?
Pretentious Hipster

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

visualtraining wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:12 am
nrh wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:44 am love crimes is amazing, even in its compromised form. but i say this as someone who doesn't really like her earlier movies.

ooh good to hear! i'll start with that. agree re: working girls. to me it's a feminist / american independent filmmaking classic.
Yea I still remember quite a bit despite it being years ago. On top of it being a feminist classic it was a great way of showing the monotony of working life.

Support the Girls felt similar to me in a sense that it deals with how the work life is for women, but is also universal enough with its work message for different people to connect with.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I got a PM from Sally, feel free to delete my previous comment with your newfound powers and congratz!
rischka

Post by rischka »

awesome, thx!
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Zynab

Post by Zynab »

just watched anatole litvak's tovarich (1937) and i'm kind of gobsmacked. i really didn't expect it to be that good. just for me personally...as far as anti-soviet propaganda emigré comedies go...it is far superior to ninotchka. the script is so smart (ninotchka's is as well but the fact that garbo and her comrades get seduced and absolutely dominated by the charms of capitalist society always left a bad taste in my mouth); i thought it was amazing how the bubbly screwball antics were balanced the with political conflict element. the entire cast was at their best. litvak conducted everything with a wonderful light touch. i honestly think it's a mini masterpiece...

i'm also shocked that it hasn't gotten a proper release in all this time? the same cruddy tv rip with spanish subtitles has been floating around forever and is the only way to see it. hello warner archive...
flip

Post by flip »

tovarich is great! it's #6 on my best screwball comedies list on letterboxd. i haven't seen it in a few years, but i don't remember watching it with spanish subs, so there might be another version, i'll check an old hard drive at some point to see if i have a copy
rischka

Post by rischka »

reminds me of knight without armour (feyder 1937) w dietrich and robert donat. i like both of these a lot. boyer and colbert make you forget the awkward politics but i had a bit of a hard time feeling sorry for marlene's countess or whatever she was :p maybe cuz i'm in love with robert donat

i have a copy too (the one from kg) it's very soft, a tv rip but no hardsubs. i'm also surprised it hasn't been upgraded given the stars

ANTIFA 4-EVA

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Been meaning to see Knight Without Armor, while Tovarich somehow went completely under my radar despite the fact that I was quite into Litvak years back. Pushing both up my watchlist.
rischka

Post by rischka »

still feeling weird hong kong. ringo lam's burning paradise (1994) wuxia hero fong sai yuk played by willie chi definitely not as charming as jet li but he's not bad

some unfortunate jokes and lots of nastiness. but also ...fun? am i the only one who can't wait for john wick :lol: i need to watch city on fire again...

Edit: Ugh the annoying 80s romance. Prison on fire then 🔥

ANTIFA 4-EVA

sally

Post by sally »

controfigura / the stand-in - rä di martino (2017)

contrary to my usual habit (of documenting appropriately the experiences of a visual medium with at least some visual reflection of it eg screenshot) because i watched this yesterday and am both too lazy to go back and screengrab and too compelled by the existence of the film to not mention it, i'm just gonna note it here and move on.

it warrants note anyway, just so that i can associate it (for future reference!) in a slightly snide aside mentioning all those cocky clever youngbloods that dwell comfortably in the realms of 'meta', stupid pop music and sleek title design, and who could populate a theoretical letterboxd list fondly titled 'contemporary wise-asses' (piñeiro, moguillansky, patiño, the entire population of portugal etc)

the film is about a semi-fictional european film crew remaking the swimmer (1968) for some reason (no clue as to why there, either in circumstances or intent, other than 'otherness') in marrakech. basis of the conceit i guess is that a swimming pool is a frame filled with multiple reflections (and therefore my absent screencaps would be extraneous redundancies anyway) and so the film fragments into the film about a film, into the filming of the filming of the film, into the filming of the filming of the filming of the film, into the film product that was ultimately being filmed, into a spontaneous local film that appears without apparently being filmed, into the filmed discussion of film structure by potential extras to one of the films being filmed, into direct documentary of the streets of marrakech and its social strata, into i don't know what, i lost track, lost 'at sea'....

probably would help if i'd seen the original 1968 swimmer but i read the plot on wikipedia and it sounds horrendously metaphorical so i guess it all fits
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

nrh wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:35 pm
St. Gloede wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:02 pm Never heard of this one, looks great. Watchlisted.
have you seen any of the other ropert movies? i love this one but it's probably not the one to start with (would pick tirez la langue mademoiselle, which is my favorite and the favorite of most of the other people i know).
I got around to seeing Ropert's next two films as well and thoroughly enjoyed both. Just Petite Solange to see now. Mini-write-ups:

La famille Wolberg / The Wolberg Family (2009) 

The Wolberg Family shows Ropert taking a look at the intricate workings of a rather dysfunctional family. Her style remains restrained in this dramedy, but it is far less minimalistic, and easily something easily accessible to regular audiences. It is almost a little Baumbach adjacent, especially as we delve into the patriarch's unravelling. Thoroughly well made, this one is an entertaining and quirkily amusing film from start to finish, but it lacks that little extra spark of magic to push it to greatness.

Tirez la langue, mademoiselle / Miss and the Doctors (2013)

In jumping onto what could be described as a romantic comedy, Ropert interestingly returns to a slightly more minimalist style than her previous as she explores the relationship between two brothers who fall for the same woman. Soft, stripped back humour hits well, as we feel, rather than are told about the brothers' connection and love for each other. It is a film filled with melancholic touches, but also one with frequent smiles, and after a slightly slow start it just becomes increasingly intriguing in its simplicity.
Zynab

Post by Zynab »

rewatched the hypothesis of the stolen painting for the first time in years last night. it is now cemented as a true all time favorite for me. completely sublime. the experience was enriched by having read le baphomet and other works of pierre klossowski in recent years. i was compelled to get out my copy of diana at her bath after finishing the movie; now rereading. i plan to watch the suspended vocation soon (wish i could read the klossowski novella first but my french is horrible and that one hasn't been translated into english yet). oh and it touched me deeply re: the role of the collector and the frustrating experience of being a collector / media obsessive, always chasing and playing with phantoms. i don't think i appreciated that as much when i was younger.
sally

Post by sally »

visualtraining wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:59 am the experience was enriched by having read le baphomet and other works of pierre klossowski in recent years. i was compelled to get out my copy of diana at her bath after finishing the movie
omg omg omg klossowski (& diana at her bath in particular) is one of my absolute very favourites to the point of delirium. wow (I mean I love the ruiz film too but it's rarer to meet klossowski readers)
Last edited by sally on Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I did a Yvonne Rainer marathon which culminated in this article with write-ups of each of her 7 films: https://icmforum.com/2023/03/26/the-cin ... iscovered/

Here's an excerpt with the two films that ended up becoming all-time favourites for me.

Privilege (1990)

Smearing lipstick on her face Yvonne Rainer declares her retirement and accuses women of their inability to take power in society. She promptly recasts herself as Yvonne Washington, a black woman. This is a film about menopause.

It is also, believe it or not, once again, Rainer’s most straightforward film up until this point, even as it blossoms into all directions concerning its central theme of privilege.

Irreverent, and frequently hilarious, Privilege (the film) follows Yvonne Washington’s attempts to get women to speak about their experiences through menopause, but Jenny, an old dancer friend of hers, refuses to stick to the topic, finding all ways to deflect from it and takes her into an extended flashback/retelling of her youth, as she marvels in her own beauty and memory.

There are so many creative, fun, and Brechtian touches here, both inside and outside of Jenny’s story, which is told with so much spunk and delight. The most overt is that our middle-aged Jenny is playing herself in what she calls “flashbacks”, enjoying the whistling men and not finding the reason to remember what she looked like, or even the names of people key to her story. Equally intriguing, and balancing, we have Yvonne Washington’s staged interviews juxtaposed with real interviews conducted by Yvonne Rainer, including one that is of Jenny herself, or more likely, the actress portraying her, Alice Spivak. The blurrier low-quality “real” footage, intermixes with the brushed-up and more cinematic adaptation adding a great deal of authenticity to the discourse.

In snarky re-usage, all-male doctors from old black-and-white informational videos also tell us all about menopause, how women start to become deficient, how they can find new purpose and other frequently condescending or old-fashioned ways of seeing the process from the outside. Do you become less of a woman? Is your purpose done? Are you, as one writer is quoted as putting down on the page, “on the other side of privilege”?

The film opens up further, as characters within Jenny’s story start to directly address the screen, of course, reading essays and quotes, this time directly attributed by cutting to Rainer’s computer, where the author and year will be listed.

Yes, text, this time through new technology also plays a part in the intricate fabric of this film, but what’s more it also starts digging into the privileges of women, especially white women, and re-examining itself in the context of race and class. We touch on housing, rape (including as a political tool), what women will put up with to please men and so many different topics as Jenny’s stories sprawl in different directions and Yvonne Washington stops her to ask questions and examine why she acted, thought or behaved a certain way.

A riot from start to finish, Privilege is possibly Rainer’s most entertaining film. Fuelled with comedy and just bold creative choices it thunders like a firecracker, and balances comedy, commentary, and introspection perfectly. It is simply a multi-flavoured delight, and easily Rainer’s most fast-paced. It may even be the best film to use to get into her work as a filmmaker, as it contains so much of her personality and style leading up to this point, but just with an added level of universality, accessibility, and energy.

MURDER and murder (1996)

Frolicking on a beach, a middle-aged woman and a teenage girl spots a camera crew and run toward them. The woman declares she was born in 1889, the young girl in 1943. They fight for the camera’s attention, with the teenager declaring that at least she is still “around”, and dating the other’s daughter – Doris. That one of them is still alive reveals that they are not ghosts, but perhaps still some form of apparition, and they will follow us throughout our story. They are watchers, and commentators, following the well-being of the somewhat strained romantic relationship between Doris and the now middle-aged Mildred.

At the core of MURDER and murder, and for all of Rainer’s now showy and explosive style – even stepping into the frames herself spoking a cigar with the left side of her chest exposed – or arranging a large-scale boxing match between the couple with classic Hollywood spectators as our couple battle through their problems – this is a very simple and charming love story and a delightfully human comedy. It is Rainer’s most straightforward narrative, following the couple’s problems and the developments of their relationship without really jumping in all directions. Quotations are still used, but it is rarer, and now characters will generally open a book and read a passage, rather than repeat essays as monologues.

The film is spiced up from all directions, with wacky retellings of dreams, breaks with the 4th wall, mainly by Rainer herself, and much of the bold comedic touches we have seen bubbling throughout her career, but really came to the forefront in Privilege. Political and social issues are still very much at the forefront, as the film explores reactions to their same-sex relationship, and the status of lesbians throughout history, not to mention issues of women’s health that mirror Rainer’s own life. These moments can feel very real, but Rainer’s approach to utter irreverence reframes them in bold, wacky comedy, including full-on slapstick.

Throughout this Doris’ deceased mother, and young Mildred, or Millie as she goes by, watch on as the relationship struggles. Their reactions often contrast our leads, who are from different worlds and with different temperaments. Doris is an art teacher, in her first same-sex relationship, and with a daughter and son-in-law still uncomfortable when it comes to dealing with it. Mildred meanwhile is an academic and activist specifically engaged in issues of Lesbianism, which leads to clear miscommunications and uncertainties in how to engage with each other.

An early, heartbreaking scene shows Doris performing a comedy sketch she has worked hard on in front of Mildred, and our apparitions, which neither sees. The vivid applause by our visitors from the past is countered with the more stoic expression by present-time Mildred. When Doris asks what she thinks, she looks confused and starts to break down the themes of what it is about and what Doris might be expressing/commenting on in an abstract way, as we see the brightness go out of Doris’ face.

We also get many more intimate scenes and scenes of mundanity, and their relationship and tribulations are fleshed out, and this is again why it feels like Rainer’s most narrative and indeed most human work. The artistic flourishes and comedy give it life, and the real-world thematics give food for contemplation, but most of its power simply comes from seeing two people, and their love, who just feel real and raw. It does perhaps run the issue of bi-erasure, and talk about “becoming a Lesbian” may indeed seem antiquated and wrong-headed today, though its exploration of Lesbian identity, and just love, in general, strike through all of it. This is a vivid, playful, hilarious, charming, and touching masterpiece that simply has to be experienced, and truly deserves status as one of the greatest films of all time.

I do not say this lightly. Everything in Rainer’s career, from her more abstract beginnings to her increasingly loud humour, wild experimentation, and bold touches all lead to this point and culminated with something powerfully simple. The way the film moves and breathes, the meta touches, the use of text, and Rainer herself in a remarkably brave and personal turn I do not wish to spoil, deliver a kind of cinema and expression that is just not seen or experienced elsewhere.