Favorite Books

liquidnature

Favorite Books

Post by liquidnature »

What are you favorite books, fiction and non-fiction? Which works recognized as 'canon' do you believe are worthy, or unworthy, of their praise? Which relatively little known or read authors or books would you recommend? Poetry and plays? Any critics or group lists (like Rosenbaum's Essential Films, but for books) worth looking at? Favorites from each year or genre? Basically looking for endless lists of recommendations. Thanks.
:lboxd:
Senor Arkadin

Re: Favorite Books

Post by Senor Arkadin »

I'm terrible for recommending books. The literary canon is so huge that I just sort of pick and choose from there. I've learned that I'm not huge on British literature... but I can get into most anything else. But the ones that stand tall in my mind are: Don Quixote, everything that Balzac ever wrote, Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, and everything Marguerite Duras ever wrote. I recently moved to the middle-east, and have thus realized my ignorance of Middle-eastern writers. I've got a stack of Mahfouz that I haven't had a chance to get to yet, and really hoping to read some Kanafani and Darwish before the end of the year.
rischka

Post by rischka »

dostoyevski doesn't disappoint
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA ✊ CAUTION: woman having opinions
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

Monsieur Arkadin wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:16 pm hoping to read some Kanafani
:D
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

I don't read many cinema books, but one I read a few years ago and super-enjoyed was The Material Ghost: Films and Their Medium - Gilberto Pérez.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Anything by Dreiser (especially An American Tragedy), Leonard Cohen's two novels, Kafka's short stories, Beckett's play Waiting for Godot, Lolita, The Death of Virgil, Infinite Jest, Moon Palace

That's my heavy hitters list. Nothing else changed my life
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

Top 20 fiction (maybe?) in no particular order:
  • A la recherche du temps perdu- Proust
  • Don Quixote - Cervantes
  • Ficciones - Borges
  • Youth - Cotzee
  • Lolita - Nabokov
  • Pale Fire - Nobokov
  • The Magic Mountain - Mann
  • Madame Bovary - Flaubert
  • The Secret Agent - Conrad
  • Light in August - Faulkner
  • As I lay dying - Faulkner
  • The Charterhouse of Parma - Stendhal
  • Journey to the end of the night - Celine
  • the Trial - Kafka
  • The castle - Kafka
  • Moby Dick - Melville
  • Nausea - Sartre
  • American Pastoral - Roth
  • A High Wind in Jamaica - Hughes
  • The Invention of Morel - Casares
brian d

Post by brian d »

Which works recognized as 'canon' do you believe are worthy, or unworthy, of their praise?

stendhal seems to be underread, but is definitely worth whatever praise he receives. rabelais is wonderful. george eliot, same. hawthorne, same. i've always liked thomas hardy a lot as well. i have little use for henry james (but i keep finding excuses to read him) and no use for oscar wilde, the great gatsby, or hemingway.

Which relatively little known or read authors or books would you recommend?

- josef winkler (when the time comes, the graveyard of bitter oranges, the serf)
- michel tournier (gemini, friday, the ogre)
- unica zürn (anything you can get your hands on, not much has been translated or stayed in print in english)
- rosario castellanos (the nine guardians, city of kings)
- tayeb salih (season of migration to the north, the wedding of zein)
- horacio castellanos moya (senselessness, dance with snakes)
- robert walser (jakob von gunten, the assistant)
- henry green (loving, living, caught)

Any critics or group lists (like Rosenbaum's Essential Films, but for books) worth looking at?

harold bloom is maybe the roger ebert of book recommendations. read a lot, talked to a lot of people about it, nothing too exciting you probably wouldn't hear about elsewhere. otherwise i'm not sure if a good list exists.
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
rischka

Post by rischka »

brian don't you live in yoknapatawpha county ;) also i'm reading stendhal's the red and the black next
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA ✊ CAUTION: woman having opinions
brian d

Post by brian d »

it's about two hours away. the square in jefferson is neat, the rest of the town pretty meh. i'm still trying to get through all of faulkner's novels. i consider it part of the cost of living here. got about seven to go, i think, finding him a bit hit or miss.

love the red and the black!
josiahmorgan11

Post by josiahmorgan11 »

Dennis Cooper.
William H. Gass.
Gravity's Rainbow.
Moby Dick.
James Joyce.

Those are my giants.
flip

Post by flip »

we did this before, i'll just condense my list down to fifteen titles, one per author:

Wittgenstein's Mistress - David Markson
JR - William Gaddis
Man in the Holocene - Max Frisch
Pale Fire - Vladimir Nabokov
The End of the World News - Anthony Burgess
The Flanders Road - Claude Simon
The Sinking of Odradek Stadium - Harry Mathews
Albert Angelo - BS Johnson
40 Stories - Donald Barthelme
Jealousy - Alain Robbe-Grillet
The Marquise Went Out at Five - Claude Mauriac
The Natural Order of Things - Antonio Lobo Antunes
All the King's Men - Robert Penn Warren
The Stone Raft - Jose Saramago
The Sound and the Fury - Wiliam Faulkner
wba2

Post by wba2 »

My 20 favorite books would look something like this:

in chronologicl order

Gorgias
Plato, Greece ca. 380 BC

El ingenioso hidalgo don Quijote de la Mancha "Don Quixote I"
Miguel de Cervantes, Spain 1605

Segunda parte del ingenioso hidalgo don Quijote de la Mancha "Don Quixote II"
Miguel de Cervantes, Spain 1615

Geroy nashevo vremeni "A Hero of Our Time"
Mikhail Lermontov, Russia 1840

Les Trois Mousquetaires "The Three Musketeers"
Alexandre Dumas, France 1844

Brat'ya Karamazovy "The Brothers Karamazov"
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Russia 1880

Also sprach Zarathustra "Thus Spoke Zarathustra"
Friedrich Nietzsche, Germany 1885

Pan
Knut Hamsun, Norway 1894

On Baile's Strand
William Butler Yeats, Ireland 1904

The Apple Cart
George Bernard Shaw, UK 1929

Eine unglückliche Liebe "A Sad Affair"
Wolfgang Koeppen, Germany 1934

Black Angel
Cornell Woolrich, USA 1943

La pelle "The Skin"
Curzio Malaparte, Italy 1949

Le Hussard sur le toit "The Horseman on the Roof"
Jean Giono, France 1951

Aa, kouya "Ah, Wilderness"
Shuji Terayama, Japan 1966

Kagirinaku tomei ni chikai buru "Almost Transparent Blue"
Ryu Murakami, Japan 1976

Die unendliche Geschichte "The Neverending Story"
Michael Ende, West Germany 1979

The Gunslinger
Stephen King, USA 1982

It
Stephen King, USA 1986

Die 13½ Leben des Käpt'n Blaubär "The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear"
Walter Moers, Germany 1999
To please the majority is the requirement of the Planet Cinema. As far as I'm concerned, I don't make a concession to viewers, these victims of life, who think that a film is made only for their enjoyment, and who know nothing about their own existence.
brian d

Post by brian d »

i just finished another cormac mccarthy novel. i'd like to add him to the list of overrated writers.
josiahmorgan11

Post by josiahmorgan11 »

I truly believe that the literary canon is significantly more sound than the film canon, which I imagine has a lot to do simply with the longevity of the artform and cinema's relative foetal stage.

brian d, I'd say Cormac McCarthy might very well be the worst author of our time, or at least the most disingenuous (I'm not so bothered by 'bad' authors in airport paperback format pertaining to be exactly that), though I do rather like his screenplay for The Counselor and Blood Meridian is certainly a cut above his usual schtick. That horses trilogy, and The Road, though? Bleck.

If I were to make a top 20 list it might look something like this....
1. Gravity's Rainbow [Thomas Pynchon]
2. Closer [Dennis Cooper]
3. Ulysses [James Joyce]
4. In The Heart Of The Heart Of The Country [William H. Gass]
5. Anna Karenin [Leo Tolstoy]
6. Creepshots [Simon Morris]
7. Moby Dick [Herman Melville]
8. Actress In The House [Joseph McElroy]
9. Tender Is The Night [F. Scott Fitzgerald]
10. Talisman Angelical [Matthew Bower & Samantha Davies]
11. Watchmen [Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons]
12. Hearts in Atlantis [Stephen King]
13. Wuthering Heights [Emily Bronte]
14. The Tunnel [William H. Gass]
15. The Back Country [Gary Snyder]
16. Missing [Josh Peterson]
17. Finnegans Wake [James Joyce]
18. The Dream Police [Dennis Cooper]
19. The Turn of the Screw [Henry James] (HM: The Jolly Corner [Short Story])
20. Pale Fire [Vladimir Nabokov]
brian d

Post by brian d »

yeah, i'm ok with some of his early appalachia novels (the orchard keeper, outer dark, suttree), but when he decided to move his subjects west things really go off the rails. julio cortázar wrote some short stories that got into the minutiae of mundane activities. mccarthy's later stuff does that for the length of a novel. "he walked to the horse. he took up the reins. he looped the reins over the horses ears. he felt the leather in his hands. the horse neighed. he tied this kind of knot. then he decided to untie it and tie it again..." (shooting self in the head emoji). and they mostly center on a nihilism that i just have no interest in. it's like watching the turin horse on repeat, but with people and animals getting brutally killed over and over again, and a thesaurus of arcane words tossed into the mix.
josiahmorgan11

Post by josiahmorgan11 »

urgh - i don't mind it in something like the turin horse because the cinematic medium is significantly more tied to passage of time and so forth! i can understand the nihilism being frustrating though.... I've only really read McCarthy's west books and I've heard a LOT of positive about Suttree, so, maybe I'll give him one final hoon around the block.
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

rischka wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:42 pm dostoyevski doesn't disappoint
Poor People/Poor Folk was very disappointing :( only time I've been disappointed by him
Cinephile

Post by Cinephile »

The greatest and most important books about cinema as an artform are: Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Emotion: Conceptual and Empirical Relations,” (A Thesis Submitted to The Harvard Department of Social Relations for Interdisciplinary Social Science Studies in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of Bachelor of Arts With Honors, Cambridge, Massachusetts: The Harvard Department of Social Relations for Interdisciplinary Social Science Studies, Universitas Harvardiana College and Harvard Library, 27 March 1969); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “John MacDonald and the Technologies of Knowledge,” In: “JDM Bibliophile,” (#23–25, #26, #27–30, and #32–“Special Confidential Report,” Editor: Hirshberg, Ed, Contributing Editors: Shine, Jean, Shine, Walter, and Connick, George, Founders and West Coast Editors: Moffatt, June M. Konigsberg Poulsen and Moffat, Leonard Len James, Administrative Assistant: Mudnick, Randi B., Production: Cone, Terry, Tampa, Palm Beach, North Palm Beach, and Jacksonville and Duval County, Florida, Downey, California, and Middlebury, Vermont: Department of English, University of South Florida, University of North Florida, and Department of English, Collegium Medioburiense Viridis Monti, January 1979–July 1983 and August 1979–July 1980), Pp. 16-18; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “John Ashbery,” “John D. MacDonald (24 July 1916– ),” and “Richard Matheson (20 February 1926– ),” In: Greiner, Donald J., Cowart, David, and Wymer, Thomas L., (Editors), “Dictionary of Literary Biography,” (Volume 5: “American Poets Since World War II,” Part 1: “A–K” and Volume 8: “Twentieth-Century American Science Fiction Writers,” Part 2: “M–Z, Cumulative Index to Volumes 1–8,” Planning Board for Dictionary of Literary Biography: Baker, John, Emerson, William, Litz, Arthur Walton, Junior, Prescott, Orville, Torgownik Targ, William, and Whitman, Alden Rogers, Editorial Director: Bruccoli, Matthew Joseph, Managing Editor: Frazer Clark, C. E., Junior, Project Editor: Layman, Richard Carl, Detroit and Ann Arbor, Michigan: Bruccoli Clark Layman, Gale Research Company Group, and Braun-Brumfield, 1980 and 1981), Pp. 14–20, 3–4, and 12–14; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Making the Most of a Mess,” In: “The Georgia Review,” (Volume XXXV, Number 3: “Native American Literature,” Editor: Lindberg, Stanley William, Assistant Editor: Sargent, Betty Lee, Business Manager: Mealor, Charlotte W., Editorial Board: Chaffin, Verner Franklin, Kahan, Gerald, Ferré, Frederick Pond, Lee, Everett Spurgeon, Giles, Norman Henry, Marshall, George O., Junior, Hudson, Charles Melvin, Junior. and Moore, Rayburn Sabatsky, Advisory and Contributing Editors: Cavell, Stanley Louis, Hillis Miller, Joseph, Ellmann, Richard David, Percy, Walker, Harper, Michael Steven, Spears, Monroe Kirk, Kenner, William Hugh, Penn Warren, Robert, and Welty, Eudora Alice, Athens–Clarke County, Georgia, Nutley, New Jersey, San Francisco, California, and Charlotte, North Carolina: University of Georgia, Bernhard DeBoer, L-S Distribution, and Heritage Printers, Fall 1981), Pp. 631-643; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Minnie and Moskowitz,” “A Woman Under the Influence,” “Life Achievement Award: Frank Capra,” “Celine and Julie Go Boating (Céline et Julie vont en bateau),” “Day of Wrath (Vredens Dag),” “The Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice (Ochazuke no Aji),” “Ordet,” “Tokyo Story (Tôkyô Monogatari),” “Love Streams,” “Mikey and Nicky,” “The Heartbreak Kid,” “The Killing of a Chinese Bookie,” “Ishtar,” and “Gloria,” In: Magill, Frank N., (Editor), and Hanson, Stephen L. and King Hanson, Patricia, (Associate Editors), “Magill’s Survey of Cinema: English Language Films – Second Series,” (Volume IV: “LUS–PUR” and Volume VI: “THE–Z,” Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Salem Press, 1981), Pp. 1594–1596 and 2711–2714 and “Magill’s American Film Guide,” (A Salem Softbacks Book, Volume 3: “I WA–NE 1561–2346” and Volume 5: “ST–Z 3135–3691 Indexes,” Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Salem Press, 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1983), Pp. 2175–2177 and 3641–3644, Magill, Frank N., (Editor), and King Hanson, Patricia, (Associate Editor), “Magill’s Cinema Annual,” (Volume II: “1983: A Survey of 1982 Films,” Volume IV: “1985: A Survey of 1984 Films,” Volume VI: “1987: A Survey of 1986 Films,” and Volume VII: “1988: A Survey of 1987 Films,” Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey and Pasadena, California: Salem Press, 1983, 1985, 1987, and 1988), Pp. 1–15, 293–302, 570–575, 533–538, 549–555, 196–200, and 458–462, and Magill, Frank N., (Editor), and King Hanson, Patricia and Jaehne, Karen, (Associate Editors), “Magill’s Survey of Cinema: Foreign Language Films,” (Volume II: “CEL–ESP,” Volume III: “ETE–INN,” Volume V: “MEM–REB,” and Volume VII: “TAL–Z,” Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Salem Press, 1985), Pp. 497–502, 739–745, 1117–1121, 2300–2305, and 3119–3122; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Film Criticism I: Kael, Kauffmann, and Sarris,” In: “Raritan: A Quarterly Review,” (Volume I, Number 2, Editors: Editor in Chief: Poirier, William Richard, Executive Editors: Edwards, Thomas R., Leontief Alpers, Svetlana, Levine, George Lewis, Bersani, Leo, Said, Edward Wadie William, and Cottler Showalter, Elaine, Managing Editor: Hyman, Suzanne K., Board of Advisory Editors: Braudy, Leo Beal, Geertz, Clifford James, Cavell, Stanley Louis, Hollander, John, de Man, Paul Adolph Michel, Howard, Daniel, Donoghue, Denis, Kateb, George Anthony, Myles Dworkin, Ronald, and Kermode, John Frank, Editorial Assistant: Wholley, David Leon Talbot, Office Manager: Barnes, Jane, Design: Lund, Marilan M., Masthead: Wong, Jeanyee, Logo: Santino, Richard, New Brunswick, New Jersey and Lancaster, Pennsylvania: Rutgers Queen’s College, The State University of New Jersey, Fall 1981), Pp. 89-106; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Writing in the Dark: Film Criticism Today,” “A Biographical Dictionary of Film, and Overexposures: The Crisis in American Filmmaking By David Thomson,” and “The Hazards of Humanism: Vincent Canby and The Times,” In: “Chicago Review,” (Volume 34, Number 1 and Volume 36, Number 1, Editors: Tuma, Keith W., Arnold, Elizabeth, and Mueller, Jenny, Fiction Editors: Deckenbach, Janet, Orens, Anne, McKnight, Emily, and Stone, Rob, Poetry Editors: Connelly, Patricia, Donaghy, Michael, Baker, Paul and Hoogestraat, Jane, Nonfiction Editors: Shen, Ted, Waters, Alan and Read, David, Managing Editor: Inger, Rachel, Distribution and Promotion: Sullivan, David, Rights and Permissions: O’Connell, Pat, Advertising: Frasure, Michael, Computer Consultant: Day, Jonathan, Fiction Staff: Bainard, Thomas, Burke, Eric, King, Bruce, Kraynik, Kathryn, Mechatie, Oliver, Reed, Mary, Richards, Anne, Robles, Rob, Searle, James L., Skibell, Mark, Sonn, Felicia B., Chambers, Benjamin, Falk, Penelope, Graff, Bennett, Stevens, Debra, and Yanny, Brian, Poetry Staff: Alper, Michael, Heminger, Steve, Hivnor, Maggie, Keniston, Ann, Saltz, Laura, Walton, Dorothy and Katz, Seth, Nonfiction Staff: Krause, William and Sullivan, David, Advisory Editor: Sutton, John L., Faculty Liaison Committee: Booth, Wayne Clayson, von Hallberg, Robert, and Wasiolek, Edward, Chicago, Illinois, Ann Arbor, Michigan, Nutley, New Jersey, and Nashville, Tennessee: Chicago Review, Faculty Exchange, University of Chicago Printing Department, ProQuest University Microfilms International Publisher, Bernhard DeBoer, Prairie News Agency, Illinois Arts Council Agency, Coordinating Council Community of Literary Magazines and Presses, Association of Literary Magazines, Committee of Small Magazine Editors/Publishers, and Ingram Content Group Periodicals, 1983 and 1988), Pp. 89-110, 111-116, and 19-44; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Correspondence: Rock On – On Rock ’N ’Roll Music, Et Cetera,” “Not So Noir,” and “The Kitsch Film Criticism of The New York Times: A Critic in the Dark – The Corrupting Influence of the Kitsch Film Criticism of Vincent Canby of the New York Times – The Corrupting Influence of Vincent Canby and the New York Times,” In: “The New Republic: A Weekly Journal of Opinion,” (Volume 191, Number 21, Issue 3,644 and Volume 194, Number 26, Issue 3,728, Editor-in-Chief and President: Peretz, Martin H., Editors: Hertzberg, Hendrik and Kinsley, Michael E., Senior Editors: Barnes, Frederic Wood, Hulbert, Ann, and Krauthammer, Irving Charles, Literary Editor: Wieseltier, Leon, Executive Editor: Kondracke, Morton Matt, Senior Editors: Hulbert, Ann, Kinsley, Michael E., and Krauthammer, Irving Charles, Managing Editor: Wickenden, Dorothy, Associate Editor: Morley, Jefferson, New Republic Books Editor, Holt, Rinehart and Winston: Wasserman, Steve F., Films: Kauffmann, Stanley Jules, Theater: Brustein, Robert Sanford, Music: Rothstein, Edward Benjamin, Poetry: Pinsky, Robert and Howard, Richard Joseph, Art: Stevens, Mark, Contributing Editors: Brumberg, Abraham, Coles, Robert Martin, Fairlie, Henry Jones, Featherstone, Joseph, Fussell, Paul, Junior, Glassman, James Kenneth, Hertzberg, Hendrik, Keegan, John Desmond Patrick, Kuttner, Robert L. E., Lawrence, James Vinton, Lewis, Richard Warrington Baldwin, Lewin, Nathan, Crispin Miller, Mark, Quirk, William J., Reich, Robert Bernard, Robinson, Paul Meech, Klein Scarf, Maggie Margaret, Steel, Ronald Lewis, Strout, Richard Lee, Thaw, Eugene Victor, Tyler Modarressi, Anne Phyllis, von van Hoffman, Nicholas, Walzer, Michael Laban, and Woodward, Comer Vann, West Coast Correspondent: Kaus, Robert Michael Mickey, Editorial-Corporate Coordinator: Obolensky, Laura E., National Political Correspondent: Blumenthal, Sidney Stone, Staff Writer: Lane, Charles Chuck, Assistants to the Editors: Obolensky, Laura E. and Heizer, Dina D., Production Managers: Hopper, Patricia A. and Steinke, Bruce, Copy Editor: Baylis, Jamie, Production Assistant: Watkins, Karen A., Assistant Production Manager: Mertins, Margery, Productions Associates: Kanter, Hilary M. and Steinke, Karen A., Reporter-Researchers: Bell, David Avrom, Blinken, Anthony John, Schlesinger, Jacob M., Subak, Susan Elisabeth, Weisberg, Jacob, and Zasloff, Jonathan, Publisher: Dearth, Jeffrey L., Associate Publisher: Phillips, Reed B., Assistant Publisher/Advertising: Stapleton, Joan M., Controllers: Klasman, J. Kristine and Gandy, Jean, Accounting Manager: Salatti, Maria F., Advertising Manager: Stapleton, Joan M., Executive Assistant to the Publisher: Buffett, Susan Alice, Circulation Director: Hicks, Tom Ollis, Circulation Managers: Sittenfeld, Gene and Jones, Patty, Assistant to the Controller: Arnaiz, Livia, Circulation Assistants: Cherry, Robin and Conradi Smith, Kristin, Advertising Assistant: Buscaglio, Darlene, Advertising Representative: London, Kevin, Accounting Assistant: Overholser, Christina R., Assistant to the Advertising Manager: Schilling, Catherine, Leadership Network Advertising: Sennott, Robert F., Junior, Back Issues and Reception: Stallings, Cathi E. and Flynn, Tammy, Washington, District of Columbia, Ann Arbor, Michigan, Wooster, Ohio, and Farmingdale, New York: Leadership Network Advertising, The New Republic, Reader’s Guide, Media Review Digest, ProQuest University Microfilms International Publisher, Bell and Howell Information and Learning, and Audit Bureau of Circulations, 19 November 1984, 10 February 1986, and 30 June 1986), Pp. 2, 6, and 25–33; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Introduction” and “Selected Bibliography,” To: Kipling, Joseph Rudyard, “Kim,” (New York, New York, Scarborough, Ontario, and Chicago, Illinois: New American Library Books, Signet Classics Books, Mentor Books, Plume, Meridian Classics, and London Films Productions, 1984), Pp. 5–18 and 285–286; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Letters: Minnie and Moskowitz Is a Comedy Worth Seeing,” In: “The Campus: Student Newspaper of Middlebury College – A Student Union,” (Editor-in-Chief: Owen, John, Managing Editor: McConnell, Heather, News Editors: Hunt, Sandy and Otter, Jack, Features Editors: Carrington, Wes, Opinions Editor: Dwyer, Stuart, Arts Editors: Kelly, John and Miller, Lisa, Sports Editor: Aicher, John, Photography Editor: Millin, Michelle Marie, Contributing Editors: Bardsley, Walker, Champion, Kate, van Zelin, Antoinette, and Rabey, Palmer, Business Manager: Griffith, Charles, Ad Manager: Dowd, Sara, Typesetting Manager: Duncan, Suzanne, Production Manager: Trattles, Matt, Circulation Manager: Kazhdan, Alexander, Classifieds Managers: Sutherland, Margaret and Barry, Barbara, Volume 80, Number 11, Middlebury, Vermont and Evanston, Illinois: Student Association of Collegium Medioburiense Viridis Monti and Communications and Advertising Services to Students, 25 January 1985), Pp. 6; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “American Dreaming: The Films of John Cassavetes and the American Experience,” (Berkeley and Los Angeles, California and London: University of California Press and Regents of the University of California, 1985, Excerpted In: Gabler, Neal, “Cinema Without Verities: American Dreaming: The Films of John Cassavetes and the American Experience. By Raymond Carney. Illustrated. 335 pp. Berkeley: University of California Press. $27.50.,” In: “The New-York Daily Times: All the News That’s Fit to Print,” New York, New York: The New York Times Publishing Company, 25 August 1985, Section 7, Pp. 6, Castellano: «John Cassavetes: Un independiente en busca del sueño americano,» Imagfic, 86, Colaboraciones, documentación, fotografías, y diridigo por: Heredero, Carlos Fernández, Fernández i Quirós, José Antonio, Azkarreta García, Koldo, Weinrichter, Antonio, Rubio Lucia, Ramón, Roca García, Rosario, Cuéllar, Mariano, y Serlik, Adriana, Madrid: Dicrefilm y Linegraf, 1986); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Capturing Complexities – My Capra: A Look at the Other Side of a Wonderful Life” and “Film – A Genius? You Can Make the Case That Cassavetes Is One of the Greatest Artists in Any Medium. Prophet Without Honor: Is John Cassavetes the Greatest 20th-Century Artist? A Guide to Cassavetes – “The Films of John Cassavetes.” At the Coolidge Corner, February 28 Through March 5.,” In: “The Boston Phoenix: Boston After Dark,” (An Overview of Capra’s Work Occasioned By His death and A Consideration of the Critical Elision of Cassavetes’ Work in America, Boston, Massachusetts: Phoenix Media/Communications Group, Section Three: Arts • Entertainment: Eight Days a Week, 15–21 September 1985, 8–14 September 1989, 28 September 4–October 1990, 16–22 August 1991, 6–12 September 1991, and 20–26 September 1991 and Section Three: Arts • Entertainment: Eight Days a Week, 28 February–5 March 1992, 21–27 August 1992, 11–17 September 1992, 18–24 September 1992, 22–28 May 1996, 6–12 September 1996, 27 August–4 September 1997, 31 October–6 November 1997, 12–18 March 1999, 19–25 March 1999, 15–21 September 2000, 29 September–5 October 2000, 3–9 August 2001, 17–23 January 2003, 21–27 March 2003, 28 April–4 May 2006, 2–8 June 2006, 23–29 January 2009, and 27 November–3 December 2009), Pp. 8, 1, and 6; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Introduction” and “Selected Bibliography,” To: James, Henry, “What Maisie Knew and The Spoils of Poynton,” (Meridian Classics, New York, New York, Scarborough, Ontario, and Winnipeg, Manitoba: New American Library Books, Signet Classics Books, Mentor Books, and Plume, 1985), Pp. v–xxvi and 439–441; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “The Imagination in Ascendance: Henry Adams’ Mont Saint Michel and Chartres,” In: “The Southern Review,” (Volume 22, Number 3: “A Fiction Number,” Editors: Olney, James and Simpson, Lewis Pearson, Business Manager: McKinley Heck, Evelyn, Assistant Editor: Gulledge, Jo, Editorial Assistant: LeBlanc, Beth, Nutley, New Jersey, Ann Arbor, Michigan, Millwood and New York, New York and Baton Rouge, Louisiana: Bernhard DeBoer, ProQuest University Microfilms International Publisher, Kraus Microfilm Reprint Company, Modern Language Association Abstract Office, Coordinating Council Community of Literary Magazines, and Seminary of Learning of the State of Louisiana Agricultural and Mechanical College University, Summer 1986), Pp. 506–531; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Acknowledgments,” “Contents,” “Introduction,” “A Brief Chronology of Adams’ Life,” “A Note on the Text,” “Notes,” “Glossary of Architectural Terms,” “Suggestions for Further Reading,” and “Index,” To: Adams, Henry Brooks Frances Snow Compton, “Mont Saint Michel and Chartres,” (Penguin Classics, New York, New York, Markham and Toronto, Ontario, Harmondsworth, London, Baile Átha Cliath, Ringwood and Camberwell, Victoria, New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Ōkahukura, Mairangi Bay, Tāmaki Makau Rau, Rosedale, North Shore, Rosebank, and Johannesburg: Penguin Press Random House Group Books, Viking Press Books, and Pearson, 1986), Pp. v–vi, vii–viii, ix–xxxviii, xxxix–xl, xli–xlii, 361–376, 377–379, 380, and 381–398; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “American Vision: The Films of Frank Capra,” (Cambridge, London, New York and New Rochelle, New York, Oakleigh and Melbourne, Victoria, and Sydney, New South Wales: Cambridge University Press and University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate Assessment and Press Syndicate of the University of Cambridge, 1986); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Dreams, Deeds, Words, Gasps, and Glances—Frank Capra’s Mr. Deeds Goes To Town,” In: “Notebooks in Cultural Analysis: An Annual Review,” (Hard Cover and Paperback Editions, Volume 3: “A Special Issue on “Voice”,” Editor: Cantor, Norman Frank, Managing Editor: King, Nathalia, Advisory Editors: Bloom, Harold Irving, Mazlish, Bruce, and Beaujour, Michel, Durham, North Carolina and New York, New York: Duke University Press, Institute for Cultural Analysis, and University of the City of New-York, 1986), Pp. 221–247; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Interpreting Crane and Eakins,” “Looking Without Seeing,” and “A Yellow Pages of Theory and Criticism: The Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory and Criticism. Edited By Michael Groden and Martin Kreiswirth. Johns Hopkins University Press. $65.00.,” In: “Partisan Review,” (Volume LV, Number 3, Volume LVIII, Number 4, and Volume LXII, Number 1, Editor-in-Chief: Phillips, William, Editors: Phillips, William and Kurzweil, Edith, Consultants: Ashbery, John Lawrence, Gilman, Richard Martin, Kermode, John Frank, Rose, Barbara Ellen, and Spender, Stephen Harold, Executive Editor: Kurzweil, Edith, Associate Editor: Marcus, Steven Paul, Managing Editor: Uscilka, Jane Marie, Editorial Assistants: Hadas, Rachel, Leontief, Estelle, Share, Donald Seth, and Uscilka, Jane Marie, Contributing Editors: Abel, Lionel, Barańczak, Stanisław, Agena, Kathleen, Dickstein, Morris, Hadas, Rachel, Lilla, Mark, Lehman, David, Merkin, Daphne Miriam, and Phelps Warren, Rosanna, Publicationa and Advisory Board: Semel Rose, Joanna, Braude, Lillian, Burden, Carter, Cohen, Edwin, Green Colin, Cynthia, Ramsey Ehrlich, Judith, Shreve Greenberg, Georgia, Fitelson, H. William, Grimm, Richard, Gross, Gerald Jerry, Frankenthaler Iseman, Marjorie Ann, Kahn, Charles Harry, Kaplan, Mary Ellen, Johnson Lans, Shirley, Glaser List, Vera, Montgomery, Robert Hiester, Junior, Nesbit, Lynn, Pearce, David B., Rosenwald, Nina, Ross, Wilbur Louis, Junior, Schwartz, Joan C., Silverman, Elwyn Harmon Al, Silverman, Alan, Simon, Anne W., Sobin, Julian, Spielvogel, Carl, Stevens, Roger Lacey, Straus, Dorothea, Wechsler, Robert T., and Westling, Jon, Corresponding Editors: Epstein, Leslie Donald, Goodheart, Eugene, Marshall, Donald, Michaels, Leonard, Shattuck, Roger Whitney, and Shechner, Mark, Boston, Massachusetts, Nutley, New Jersey, San Francisco, California, Nashville, Tennessee, Ann Arbor, Michigan, and Sandusky, Ohio: Partisan Review, Newbury Biblical Theological Seminary Institute Methodist General Boston University, Bernhard DeBoer, Capitol News, L-S Distribution, Ingram Content Group Periodicals, and ProQuest University Microfilms International Publisher, 1988, 1991, and 1995), Pp. 464–473, 717–723, and 138–143; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Love’s Dreams: The Works of John Cassavetes,” In: “Persistence of Vision: The Journal of the Film Faculty of The City University of New York,” (Number 6: “Independent Film,” Editorial Board: Lang, Robert, Liebman, Stuart Elliott, Pipolo, Anthony Thomas, Koenig-Quart, Barbara, Rheuban, Joyce, and Weis, Elisabeth, Art Consultant: Rheuban, Carol, Business Manager: Pipolo, Carole, Typesetter: Zimmermann, Myrna, Film Faculty of The City University of New York, Executive Committee: Hanlon, Lindley Page, DeNitto, Dennis, Liebman, Stuart Elliott, Manbeck, John Brother, Pipolo, Anthony Thomas, Quart, Leonard, Rheuban, Joyce, and Zuker, Joel Stewart, New York and Maspeth, New York: Film Faculty of The City University of New York and Bernhard DeBoer, Summer 1988), Pp. 41–66; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Waking Up in the Dark: Learning From John Cassavetes,” In: “Sundance Institute: 1989 United States Film Festival,” (Keynote Essay for the “Tribute to John Cassavetes,” Park City and Sundance Mountain Resort, Utah, Los Angeles, California, and New York, New York: Sundance Institute and Sundance Utah/United States Film and Video Festival, January 1989), Pp. 42–43, 46–47, and 49; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Cassavetes on Cassavetes: This Selection and Arrangement © – The Life and Work of John Cassavetes: Collected/Uncollected Essays and Program Notes About John Cassavetes; Mark Rappaport: Snapshots of the Man Wearing the Mask – Supervised the Video Release, Wrote the Video Jacket Notes and Press Releases to Accompany the Release of the Films of Mark Rappaport on Video. VideoActive Releasing (Los Angeles) – Eight/Nine Films on Six/Seven Cassettes Released Between March and August 1997: “Casual Relations,” “Mozart in Love,” “Local Color,” “The Scenic Route,” “Chain Letters,” “Impostors,” and “Three Short Films: “Postcards,” “Exterior Night,” and “Mark Rappaport: The TV Spin-Off”,” Commissioned for the Video Release of Mark Rappaport’s Complete Work by VideoActive Releasing.; Why Art Matters: A Collection of Essays, Interviews, and Lectures on Life and Art/Uncollected Essays on Independent Film; Necessary Experiences: Film as Experience—What Art Can Show Us About Ourselves and Our Culture/A Detective Story: Going Into/Inside the Workshop/Heart and Mind of the Artist—A Study of Cassavetes’ Revisionary Process in the Making of/in the Two Versions of “Shadows”—The Two Versions of “Shadows:” A Study of Cassavetes’ Revisionary Process/What’s Wrong With Film Books, Film Courses, and Film Reviewing—And How to Do It Right,” (Unpublished Manuscript, Boston, Massachusetts and Los Angeles, California: 640 Commonwealth Avenue 02215, Newbury Biblical Theological Seminary Institute Methodist General Boston University and The Mark Rappaport Video Home System Collection, VideoActive Releasing, 1989, March–August 1997/1998–1999, and 1999–2004); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Complex Characters” and “Unfinished Business,” In: “Film Comment,” (Volume 25, Number 3, Editor: Jacobson, Harlan Marshall, Editorial Director: Corliss, Richard Nelson, Senior Editor: Glicksman, Marlaine, Assistant Editor: Smith, Gavin, Art Director and Cover Design: Schulman, Elliot, Advertising and Circulation Manager: Impavido, Tony, Business Manager, Fellerman, Doris Helene Deis, Production: Dichter Edmonds, Deborah, West Coast Editor: Thompson, Anne, European Editor: Kennedy, Harlan, Research Consultant: Corliss, Mary, Controller: Hornila, Domingo, Junior, Executive Director, Film Society of Lincoln Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center Centre: Koch, Joanne, Sandusky, Ohio, New York, New York, and Denville, New Jersey: Film Society of Lincoln Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center Centre, New York State Council on the Arts, National Endowment for the Arts, Eastern News Distributors, and Film Comment, May–June 1989, Deutsch: In: »Kinemathek,« 30. Jahrgang, Heft 81: »John Cassavetes,« Herausgeberin und Redaktion: Gregor, Milena, Mitarbeit: Gregor, Erika, Gregor-Patalas, Ulrich, und Wedel, Michael, Berlin, Berlin: Freunde der deutschen Kinemathek, November 1993, SS. 13–18), Pp. 30–33 and 48–49; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Speaking the Language of Desire: The Films of Carl Dreyer,” (Hard Cover and Paperback Editions, Cambridge, New York and New Rochelle, New York, Oakleigh and Melbourne, Victoria, and Sydney, New South Wales: Cambridge University Press and University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate Assessment and Press Syndicate of the University of Cambridge, 1989, فارسی: کارنی، ریموند فرانسیس، جونیور، «صحبت به زبان میل: فیلم‌ های کارل درایر،» مترجم: خلیلی، رضا، ویراستار: نصیری، محمد، تهران و شهر جدید پردیس: نقد فرهنگ، 2017); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Hommage à John Cassavetes: Wrote the Program Notes to Accompany the Screenings of the Films of John Cassavetes,” In: Rudes, Jérôme-Henry, (Editor), “Sixth Annual Program of the French–American Film Workshop: La célébration du Cinéma Français et américain,” (Avignon: French-American Film Workshop, Avignon/New York Film Festival/6èmes Rencontres Cinématographiques Franco-Américain d’Avignon, 4–9 July 1989); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Modernism for the Millions: The Films of Woody Allen” and “Waking Up in the Dark: Learning From John Cassavetes,” In: “The Alaska Quarterly Review: Literature • Criticism • Philosophy,” (Volume 8, Numbers 1 and 2 and Volume 8, Number 3 and 4, Anchorage, Alaska: University of Alaska Anchorage Community Senior College, Fall and Winter 1989 and Spring and Summer 1990), Pp. 139–169 and 123–133; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “The Films of John Cassavetes and Elaine May’s “Mikey and Nicky:” A Touring Retrospective Organized By the Walker Arts Center, Minneapolis and the Pacific Film Archive, Berkeley,” (Program Notes Distributed at the Screening Sites to Support and Souvenir Program to Accompany the National Tour, Walker Arts Center: Director: Friedman, Martin Lee, Director, Film/Video: Jenkins, Bruce, Assistant Director, Film/Video: Robinson, Nancy E., Secretarial Assistance: Nesbitt, Abigail R., Film/Video Specialist: Murphy, Peter, Graphic Designer: Suokko, Glenn, Editor: Freshman, Phil, Pacific Film Archive: Director, University Art Museum: Baas, Jacquelynn, Film Curator and Director, Pacific Film Archive: Kramer, Edith, Assistant Film Curator: Geritz, Kathy, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Berkeley and Los Angeles, California, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Portland, Oregon, Houston, Texas, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, and Rochester, New York: Walker Arts Center, Harvard Film Archive, Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, Universitas Harvardiana College, Berkeley University Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive, University of California, Berkeley, Northwest Film and Video PAM CUT–Study Center for an Untold Tomorrow, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Carnegie Museum of Art, Cleveland Cinematheque, Cleveland Institute School of Art, Southern Branch of the University of California State Normal School at Los Angeles Film and Television Archive, Neighborhood Film and Video Project of International House, International Museum of Photography at George Eastman House, Wexner Center for the Visual Arts, Sundance Institute, Faces Distribution Corporation, Columbia Pictures Industries Corporation, Castle Hill Films Productions, Paramount Pictures, Universal-International Pictures City Studios Film Manufacturing Productions Corporation Company, Canon Group, Films Incorporated, Laurence Larry Kardish, Robin Nilsson, Allan C. Ruban, Tony Safford, and National Endowment for the Arts, September – October 1989, October – November 1989, November – December 1989, January – February 1990, March – April 1990, April – May 1990, and June – September 1990); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, (Editor), “Harvard Film Archive Newsletter Bulletin,” (Curator: Petrić, Vladimir Vlada, Assistant Curators: Murphy, Roberta and Lane, Jim, Harvard Film Archive Staff: Director: Guest, Haden, Senior Programmer: Barron, Ted, Film Specialist: Pierce, Steffen, Archive Coordinator: Meyers, Rebecca, Publicity/Outreach/Design: Holgerson, Brooke, Print Trafficker/Vault: Manager and Print Trafficker/Loan Officer: Johnson, Mark, Convervator and Film Conservator: Coffey, Liz, Assistant Conservator: Sloper, Amy, Conservation Assistant: Lendo, Trisha, Projection Staff: Livernash, Steve, Mattos, Clayton, and Nipson, Herb, Theater Managers: Bristow, Amanda, Brown, Steven, and Monahan, Kevin, Bulletin Design: Holgerson, Brooke, Musical Consultants: Freisinger, Peter and Gubanov, Yakov, Founding Curator: Petrić, Vladimir Vlada, Special Thanks: Bentsman, Jason, Burke, Milisa, Cole, James, Dao, Gishnu, Engstrom, John, Hornbuckle, Del R., How, Bryan, Khawaja, Ahmed, McClain, Jennifer, Paradis, Adam, Passarini, John, Rasputis, Irina, Reddy, Laura, Reid, Trisha, and Tankha, Mrinalini, Programmer: Pendleton, David, Cambridge, Massachusetts: Friends of the Harvard Film Archive, Harvard Film Archive, Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, Universitas Harvardiana College, September/October 1989, Summer 2007, and November – December 2007); lカーニー著, レイモンド・ フランシス, ジュニア, 【ー編】, 『Switch Special Issue, 3: John Cassavetes 映画監督ジョン・カサヴェテス特集 アメリカに曳かれた影 スイッチ・コーポレイション/扶桑社,』 【東京: お読みいただく分には問題ありません, いちがつ 1990】; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Cassavetes Remembered: An Interview With Biographer Raymond Carney,” In: “The Southern Branch of the University of California State Normal School at Los Angeles Film and Television Archive Calendar Newsletter,” (Los Angeles, California: The Southern Branch of the University of California State Normal School at Los Angeles Film and Television Archive, February/March 1990), Pp. 4–5; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Allegories of Cinema: American Film in the Sixties. By David E. James. Princeton: Princeton University Press. 1989.,” In: “American Studies,” (Volume 32, Numbers 1–2. Editors: Katzman, David Manners and Yetman, Norman Roger, Editorial Board: Cravens, Hamilton, Baym, Nina, Graebner, William, Horwitz, Richard P., Levine, Stuart G., Marling, Karal Ann, Mechling, Jay Edmund, Schlereth, Thomas J., Schofield, Mary Ann, Tichi, Cecilia, and Walker, Nancy A., Managing Editor: Tarr, Stuart, Business Manager Wan Hamid, Mary, Mid-America American Studies Association: President: Le Beau, Bryan Frank, Vice-President: Kolmer, Elizabeth, Executive Director: Wells-Morgan, Kathleen, Lawrence, Kansas and Salem, Massachusetts: Department of English and Department of American Studies, University of Kansas, Mid-America American Studies Association, Department of History and Department of American Studies, Iowa Agricultural College and Model Farm of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts State University of Science and Technology, Department of English, Industrial University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Department of History, State University of New York at Fredonia, Department of Art History, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, Department of American Studies, University Farm Northern Branch of the College of Agriculture of California at Davis, Department of English and Department of American Studies, University of Notre Dame du Lac, Department of English, Vanderbilt Central University, Creighton University College, Saint Louis Academy College University, Stephens College, and Copyright Clearance Center, Spring–Fall 1991), Pp. 123–124; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Film Revival – Orson Welles and “Rosebud” Ride Again: Film Experts Argue Over the Importance of “Citizen Kane”,” “A New Look at John Cassavetes: Respect Comes Late for the Actor-Director, But Ray Carney’s Biography Provides a Reevaluation of the Filmmaker’s Work,” and “Arts and Leisure – It’s Just a Movie, Right? Film Critics and Educators Weigh in on “Star Wars” as a Cultural Phenomenon: A “Group Think” Experience,” In: “The Christian Science Monitor,” (Boston, Massachusetts: Christian Science Publishing Society, 30 April 1991, 10 May 1994, and 14 May 1999), Pp. 13, 14, and 16; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “The Adventures of Insecurity: The Films of John Cassavetes,” In: “The Kenyon Review,” (New Series, Volume XIII, Number 2, Editors; Hacker, Marilyn and Lynn, David H., Consulting Poetry Editor: Baker, David, Managing Editor: Finan, Martha, Production Editor: Ellis, Carol Ann, Designer: Black, Nanette, Business Manager: Nelson, Joseph G., Gambier, Ohio, Farmingdale, New York, East Haven, Connecticut, Nutley, New Jersey, and Ann Arbor, Michigan: Kenyon College, D. L. Rice and Associates, Inland Book Company, Bernhard DeBoer, ProQuest University Microfilms International Publisher, Coordinating Council Community of Literary Magazines and Presses, and Ohio Arts Council, Spring 1991, Excerpted In: Sterritt, David, “Fresh Look at Cassavetes’s Career: The Underrated Filmmaker’s Oeuvre Gets a Boost From Touchstone Collection of His best Films,” In: “The Christian Science Monitor,” Boston, Massachusetts: Christian Science Publishing Society, 2 May 1986, 21 July 1988, 13 March 1989, 10 September 1991, 3 November 1992, 30 November 1995, 8 January 1997, 29 August 1997, 31 January 2003, and 28 January 2005, Pp. 26, 21, 10, 10, 11, 11, 13, 15, 13, and 16), Pp. 102–121; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “The Frenzy of Renown: Fame and Its History By Leo Braudy (Oxford University: $27.50; 649 Pp., Illustrated),” In: “The Los Angeles Daily Times Sunday Book Review,” (Los Angeles and El Segundo, California: Los Angeles Times Communications Nant Capital, 21 December 1986), Pp. 9; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Take Five,” In: “The Boston Sunday Herald,” (On Halloween Movies and Christmas Movies, Braintree, Massachusetts: Digital First MediaNews Group Enterprises, 27 October 1991 and 14 December 1992), Pp. 14 and 16; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Close Quote,” In: “Andy Warhol’s Interview,” (Volume XXII, Number 2: “Valentine to a Sweeter America,” Publisher: Brant, Sandra J., Editor in Chief: Sischy, Ingrid Barbara, Creative Director: Kálmán, Tibor George, Managing Editor: Hopkins, Drew, Executive Editor: Fuller, Graham, Senior Editor: Greco, Stephen, Editor at Large: Casadio, Mariuccia, Art Director: Pandiscio, Richard, Photography and Art Editor: Donaldson, Suzanne, Associate Editor: Cronstrom, Kendell, Assistant Editors/Staff Interviewers: Ehrlich, Dimitri and Marvel, Mark, Special Projects Editor: Harris, Melissa, Assistant Designer: de la Peña, Ron, Assistant Editors: Galvin, Peter and Saralegui, Alejandro, Editorial and Production Assistant: Rogers, Ray, Photography and Art Assistant: Chim, Josephine, Consulting Editors: Celant, Germano, Wolkow Epstein, Jason, Ertegün, Ahmet, and Mitchell Muschamp, Herbert, Contributing Editors: Aronson, Steven M. L., Bleckner, Ross, Borns, Betsy, Christy, George, Cohen, George, Daly, Steven, Geldzahler, Henry, Gerber, Robert, Hackett, Pat, Hoisington Indiana, Gary, Janowitz, Tama, Koons, Jeffrey Lynn, Kruger, Barbara, Lassell, Michael, Lebowitz, Frances Ann, Liebmann, Lisa Isabel, McDowell, Roddy Roderick Andrew Anthony Jude, MacGrath, Patrick, Miller, Jeffrey, Morgan, Susan, Penn, Sean Justin, Regen, Richard, Robinson, Lisa, Rochlin, Margy, Rubenstein, Hal, Schnabel, Julian, Selsman, Jill Victoria, Slonim, Jeffrey, Taylor, Paul, and Wayne, George, Contributing Photographers: Comte, Michel, de Coppet, Laura, D’Orazio, Sante, Eberle, Todd, Haddi, Michel, Lacombe, Brigitte, Markus, Kurt, Maxey Mapplethorpe, Edward, McDermott, David, McGough, Peter, McMullan, Patrick, Meisel, Steven, Michals, Duane Steven, Ritts, Herbert, Junior, Rolston, Matthew Russell, von Unwerth, Ellen, Watson, Albert, Weber, Bruce, and Winters, Dan, Contributing Fashion Editors: Cooke, Ronnie, McKenna, Joe, Roberts, Michael, Schechter, Laurie, and Schechter, Wendy, Production Manager: Rully, Rena, Associate Production Manager: LeMense, Julianne, Circulation Manager: Elkin, Barbara, Advertising and Promotion Director: Powell, Paige, National Advertising Manager: Claster, Scott, Merchandising Manager: Levitt-Danehy, Sheri Michele, Advertising Associates: Jennings, Kathryn and Weber, Lee, Advertising Assistants: LeBeau, Alisa, Moskowitz, Jonathan, and Runge, Susan, West Coast Advertising Manager: Fontenot, Paula, Account Manager: Newman, Elise, Advertising Assistant: Morrissey, Chris, Detroit Advertising Associate: Teegarden, Tim, European Advertising: Mitjans, Jean Louis and Billups, Catherine, Brant Publications, Inc.: President: Brant, Sandra J., Executive Vice President: Fine, B. William, Business Manager: Blasucci, Deborah, Circulation Director: Blattman, Susan, Director of Manufacturing: Buhler, Staci, Hollywood, California, Birmingham, Michigan, Barcelona, Milano, New York, New York, and Marion, Ohio: Interview and The Audit Bureau of Circulations Alliance for Audited Media, February 1992), Pp. 152–153; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Cassavetes on Cassavetes: A Man Under His Own Influence,” “Ray Carney’s Rules of the Game,” and “Letters,” In: “Visions Magazine: Film/Television Arts – The Newsletter of the Boston Film/Video Foundation,” (Boston, Massachusetts and Venice, California: Boston Center for the Arts, Hybrid Productions, and Boston Film/Video Foundation, Number 7: “John Cassavetes: Fearless Filmmaking,” Number 10: “First Anniversary Issue: Time to Misbehave,” and Number 11, Summer 1992, Summer 1993, and Fall 1993), Pp. 22–29, 10–15, 48–49, and 4; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Contents,” “A Polemical Introduction: The Road Not Taken,” and “Seven Program Notes From the American Tour of the Complete Films: Faces, Husbands, Minnie and Moskowitz, A Woman Under the Influence, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Opening Night, and Love Streams,” In: “Post Script: Essays in Film and the Humanities,” (Volume 11, Number 2, Special Issue: “John Cassavetes,” Co-Editors: Duchovnay, Gerald, Telotte, Jay Paul, and Prince, Stephen Robert, Editorial Staff: Affron, Charles Myron, Braudy, Leo Beal, Gentry, Ric, Ginsberg, Robert, Jennings, Wade, Kawin, Bruce Frederick, Kernan, Margot Sandra Starr, Kolker, Robert Phillip, Polan, Dana Bart, Riggin, Judy, Ross, Theodore John, Stewart, Garrett, and Waxman, Robert Ernest, Editorial Assistants: Long, Robert and Walker, Cindy, Design and Layout: Smith Freeman Chaffin, Vivian, Guest Editor: Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, Commerce, Texas and Blacksburg, Virginia: Literature and Languages Department, East Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College State Normal Teachers University–Commerce, Georgia Institute School of Technology, Post Script, Fédération internationale des archives du film, and Department of Communication Studies, Virginia Polytechnic Institute Agricultural and Mechanical College and State University, Winter 1992), Pp. 1–2, 3–12, and 37–100; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, «John Cassavetes: Autoportraits,» (Photos: Shaw, Samuel et Shaw, Larry, Préface: Grünberg, Serge, Labarthe, André Sylvain, Paquot Massard, Claudine, Jousse, Thierry, Toubiana, Serge Albert, Rowlands, Virginia Cathryn Gena, Ruban, Allan C., et Shaw, Larry, Maquette et réalisation: Cohen, Paul-Raymond, Cornière, Hugues, Décimo, Jean-Michel, et Pineau Virnot, Delphine, Témoignages: Quatre acteurs: Rowlands, Virginia Cathryn Gena, Gazzara, Biagio Ben Anthony, Falk, Peter Michael, et Cassel, Seymour Joseph, Lëtzebuerg, Paris, et Quetigny: Inéluctable, Les Éditions de l’Étoile, Les Cahiers du Cinéma, Éditions du Seuil, Centre Français du Copyright, Fotimprim Photogravure, et L'imprimerie Darantière, 1992); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “John Cassavetes: Allegro con brio – Learn Anything. ––––– We Must Stop Thinking to Start Living,” In: Pyros, John Aristotle, (Editor), “The Greek Influence in/on World Cinema: A Series of Related Essays and Film Notes,” (Program, Tarpon Springs, Florida: City of Tarpon Springs Cultural Center, City of Tarpon Springs, Department of Cultural and Community Affairs, Florida Humanities Council, and Greek-American Film Festival, 7 January–25 March 1993), Pp. 22–25; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “The Films of John Cassavetes: Pragmatism, Modernism, and the Movies,” (Hard Cover and Paperback Editions, Photographs: Shaw, Samuel and Shaw, Larry, Cambridge Film Classics, General Editor: Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, Cambridge, New York, New York, Oakleigh, Melbourne, and Port Melbourne, Victoria, Madrid, Cape Town, Singapura, São Paulo, São Paulo, Delhi and New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Dubai, Dubai, Tôkyô, and México, Distrito Federal: Cambridge University Press and University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate Assessment and Press Syndicate of the University of Cambridge, 1994, Magyar: »John Cassavetes filmjei: A pragmatizmus, a modernizmus és a film,« A kötetben szereplő fotókat készítette: Shaw, Samuel és Shaw, Larry, Osiris Kladó könyvtár Könyvkiadó – Film, Sorozatszerkesztő: Zalán, Vince, Szerkesztette: Veress, Angéla, Bartha, Judit, és Zalán, Vince, Kiadásért felel: Gyurgyák, János, Sorozatot tervezte: Környei, Anikó, Műszaki szerkesz: Kapitány, Ágnes, Felelős vezető ügyvezető igazgató: Nagy, Iván, Budapest: Osiris Kladó könyvtár Könyvkiadó, Magyar Mozgókép Közalapítvány, Tördelő Sörfőző Zsuzsa, és Széchenyi Nyomda, 2001, 조선말: 카니、 레몽 프랜시스、 주니어、 《존 카사베테스의 영화들: 미국 영화계의 아웃사이더、》 시네파일、 10、 오세필: 강、 정애 공옮김、 서울특별시: 시공사、 2002, فارسی: کارنی، ریموند فرانسیس، جونیور، «فیلم های جان کاساوتیس: پراگماتیسم، مدرنیسم و سینما،» فَرتورنِگاری: شاو، لاري و شاو، ساموئل، مترجم: خلیلی، رضا، ویراستار: نصیری، محمد، تهران و شهر جدید پردیس: نقد فرهنگ، 2016); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “At the Other Movies With Ray Carney,” In: “Boston University Today,” (Boston and Brookline, Massachusetts: Newbury Biblical Theological Seminary Institute Methodist General Boston University, 8 May 1994), Pp. 1 and 3–4; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Conversation con Carney: A Chilly View of Hollywood – An Interview With Ray Carney: Ray Carney Hacks Up Hollywood – Outspoken Film Visionary, Historian and Consumer Advocate Ray Carney Takes Hollywood’s Sacred Cash Cows to the Slaughterhouse. You’ll Love His Sure-Fire Formula for Winning an Academy Award.,” “A Conversation With Ray Carney – A Chilly View of Hollywood, Part II: Rarely Have We Gotten Such Passionate Feedback From an Article Than When We Ran the First Part of This Interview With Ray Carney Last Issue.,” “The State of Independent Film: Fake Independence and Reel Truth,” “Fake Independence and Reel Truth: The State of Independent Film – Part 2 of 2, MovieMaker’s Favorite Independent Film Pundit Takes a Few Jabs at the Motion Picture Establishment and Attempts to Get Us to Stop Taking the True Indie Film Artist for Granted,” “Ray Carney’s Letter to the Next Generation of American Filmmakers: The Path of the Artist – An Open Letter to the Next Generation of American Filmmakers, Part 1,” “The Path of the Artist: Part 2 – Further Thoughts on the Art of Film,” “The Path of the Artist: Part III – Thoughts on the Art of Film, Plenty of People Will Tell You How to Make a Movie. Carney Reminds Us Why Moviemaking Matters,” “The Return of Ray Carney: Part I – Investigating the Critics, Ray Carney Takes Aim at the Hollywood Publicity Machine and the Critics Who Feed It, the World’s Most Outspoken, Fearless Critic of American Cinema Is Back, With a Fresh New Rant,” and “The Growth of a Film Artist: Part II – Ray Carney Returns to MovieMaker, Ray Carney Returns for Another of His Spirited, Thought-Provoking Rants,” In: “MovieMaker: The People. The Pictures, The Process – The Art and Business of Making Movies: Behind the Independent Film Scene,” (Volume One, Issue Three: “Super-8 Reaches New Heights,” Volume One, Issue Four: “Hollywood’s Golden Boy... Finally,” Volume One, Issue Five: “Roman’s Empire,” Volume One, Issue Seven: “Special Seattle International Film Festival Issue,” Issue Number 13, Volume II: “Ray Carney: Making the Case Against Hollywood,” Issue Number 14, Volume II: “Secrets of Hollywood’s Top Screenwriters,” Issue Number 15, Volume II: “Riding the High Road With Midnight Cowboy John Schlesinger,” and Issue Number 16, Volume II: “Edward Dmytryk, the Father of Film Noir: A Retrospective,” Issue Number 26, Issue Number 27, Volume 5: “4th Anniversary Edition,” Issue Number 36, Volume 7: “Sixth Anniversary Issue: Post Production Special,” Issue Number 37, Volume VII: “Special Park City Issue: The Digital Revolution Comes to Park City,” Issue Number 38, Volume VII: “Special Screenwriting Issue,” Issue Number 47, Volume IX: “Special Issue: Film Education,” and Issue Number 48, Volume IX: “Special Issue: Post-Production,” Publishers/Editors: Rice, Tim and Rhys, Timothy, Vice President: Holly, Karen, Executive Publisher: Sandler, Herman S., Associate Publishers: Holly, Karen and Summers, Craig, Managing Editors: McEnerney, Charles and Wood, Jennifer M., Senior Editor: Genard, Susan, Editors at Large: Schwager, Jeff, Allen, Tom, Bush, Lyall, Hunt, Paula, McInnis, Kathleen, Geffner, David, Thompson, Rustin, and Williams, Phillip, Associate Editor: Genard, Susan, Contributing Editors: Ficarra, Carmen, Tukey, Paul, Hooly, Karen and Arnold, Jeremy, Assistant Editors: Gerst, Cullen and Farbman, Emily, Contributing Writers: Allen, Tom, Barr, Tom, Eleison, Mark, Cotter, Marianne, Grey, Kennedy, Lagos, Taso, McInnis, Kathleen, Salyer, Shea, Sheehy, Pete, Bearden, Keith, Franklin, Sam, Nechak, Paula, O’Hare, Brian, Walker, Mike, Watson, Jack, Hunt, Robert, Gerst, Cullen, Villaflores, Pam, Broderick, Peter, Lyman, Voorhees, Rich, David, Arnold, Jeremy, Ashton, Atchison, Doug, Stephen, Bell, David Avrom, Basile, Robert, Basoli, Anna G., Bush, Lyall, Crawford, Travis, Dau, Carsten, Essman, Scott, Fairweather, Kathleen, Geffner, David, Getlen, Larry, Goldstein, Adam, Griffin, Mark, Harris, Erich Leon, Harrold, Lewis, Kevin, Litwak, Mark, Hamlin, Andrew, Hitchens, Gordon, Klaffke, Pamela, Marx, Rick, Menzies, James, Merkin, Justin, Peros, Steven, Rose, Andy, Sherman, Eric, Smith, Lenny, Simens, Dov S.-S., Taylor, Elayne, Thompson, Rustin, Tulchin, Harris, Tunison, Michael, Weston, Judith, Wilmot, Judith, and Wing, George, Art Directors: Quesinberry, Wendy, Pascal, David, and O’Brien, John, Copy Editors: Haupt, Rose, Pulciani, Robert, and Widor, Jennifer, Editorial Assistants: Wilson, Wendy, Butzel, Kyra, Kriley, Casey, Sanborn, Ryan, and Wanger, Brita, Video Editor: Hughes, Kelly, Special Projects/Advertising Director: Kincaid, Jean, Assistant Art Director: Webb, Janice, Advertising Sales: Jameson, Todd, Andrew, Mike, Wells, Kristine, and Murray, Bill, Business Consultant: Nelson, Russ, Production Managers: Thorstensen, Kari and Stehle, Elizabeth, Assistant Production Manager: Santos, Noelia, Production Assistants: Schult, David and Lucas, Jim, Subscription Managers: Feeney, Mike and Wood, Jennifer M., Photo Editors: Price, Duncan and Cassidy, Kevin, Production Design: Arizona Bonuccelli, Dominic, Angelidis, Marilena, and Huang, Jessie, Contributing Designers: Morada, Peter and Perez, Felipe, Designers: Hughert, Alixe and Thorstensen, Kari, Photographers: Price, Duncan and Prozzo, Marco, Website Producers: Davis, Ed and Grzenda, Adrienne, Technical Advisor/Web Site Coordinator: Doane, Mike, Administrative Assistants: Felton, Christine and Healy, Jennifer, Design Consultant: Gabor, Tim, Technical Consultant: Morse, Boyd, Interns: Cook, John, Dessen, Kris, Leahy, Tony, Joyce, Ellen, Greer, John, and Fuller, Brit, Seattle, Washington, New York, New York, Falmouth and Portland, Maine, and Los Angeles and Pasadena, California: John Inge, ACME Media, Ron Keown, The Magazine Group, Periodical Distribution, Mike Feeney, Rice Entertainment, Ian Bage / New Marketing Services, Susan Genard, Jim Coyne, Susan Hillard/Coyne and Associates, Dianna Hightower, Eastern News Distributors, MovieMaker Publishing, O’Brien Design, and Disticor Magazine Distribution Services, February 1994, March 1994, April 1994, June 1994, May/June 1995, July/August 1995, September/October 1995, November/December 1995, and August/September/October 1997 and December/January 1998, November/December 1999, January/February 2000, April/May 2000, Summer 2002, and Fall 2002), Pp. 28–30, 43–45, 45–46, 65–66, 18–22, 58–61, 36–39, 68, 58–62, 98–99, 48–51, 56–58, 91, 38–39, and 38–41; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Only Connect: Robert Kramer – An American in Paris,” In: “37th San Francisco International Film Festival: April 28–May 12, 1994,” (San Francisco, California: San Francisco International Film Festival and The San Francisco Film Society, 1994), Pp. 27–28; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Film: Truth in Motion” and “The Arts: Knowing Too Much – Review: John Singer Sargent. Trevor Fairbrother. Abrams. 160 pp. $39.95,” In: “The Boston Book Review,” (Boston, Massachusetts: Boston Book Service and Harvard Readers Guild, Volume 1, Number 2 and and Volume 2, Number 1, Winter 1994 and January–February 1995), Pp. 37 and 19–22; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Forgotten Films: Charles Burnett’s To Sleep With Anger,” In: “DoubleTake,” (Volume 1, Number 2, Editors: Coles, Robert and Harris, Alex, Managing Editor: Woodruff, Jay, Associate Editors: Halpern, Sue and Ketchin, Susan, Design and Production: Renda, Molly, Photography Consultant: George, Alice Rose, Assistant Managing Editor: Phillips, Liz, Contributing Writers: Faludi, Susan Charlotte, McKibben, Bill William Ernest, and McPherson, James Alan, Contributing Photographers: Murray, Bill, Ewald, Wendy, and Germano Roma, Thomas, Editorial and Publishing Advisor: Tillman Hill, Iris, Editorial Advisors: Poetry: Hirsch, Edward M., Fiction: Smith, Lee, Photography: Sartor, Margaret, Assistant Editors: Exploration: Giordano, Neil, Archive: Lane, Joni, Editorial Assistants: Byrd, Keith and Farrar, Josh, Design Assistant: Hensley, Heather, Copy Editors: Lane, Harold and High, Maura, Proofreader: Dilworth, Alexa, Student Interns: Bottomley, Erin, Glenn, Ben, Jacobs, Katherine, and Mack, Bianca, Publishing Consultant: Parker, David S., Business Manager: Butler, J. William, Circulation: Bruno, Rosalie and Williamson, Jackie, Advertising: Guerra, Larry, Publications Advisor: Kelley, Thomas A., Assistant: Wiggleton, Carolyn J., Marion, Ohio and Durham, North Carolina: Centre for Documentary Studies at Brown School Union Institute Normal Trinity College Duke University, The Lyndhurst Foundation, Harperprints, and Eastern News Distributors, Fall 1995), Pp. 123–128; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Escape Velocity: Notes on Beat Film,” “The Beat Movement in Film: A Comprehensive Screening List,” and “No Exit: John Cassavetes’ Shadows,” In: Phillips, Lisa, (Editor), “Beat Culture and the New America: 1950–1965,” (Hard Cover and Paperback Editions, New York, New York, Paris, Minneapolis, Minnesota, and San Francisco, California: Whitney Museum of American Art, Éditions Groupe Flammarion, Walker Arts Center, and Michael Henry de Young Memorial Museum, Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, 1995), Pp. 190–209, 210–214, and 235–243; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Foreword: The Rules of the Game (An Interview With Ray Carney),” “Foreword: How (and How Not) to Do It: An Open Letter to the Next Generation of American Filmmakers,” and “Foreword: The Path of the Artist,” To: Schmidt, Rick, “Feature Filmmaking at Used-Car Prices: How to Write, Produce, Direct, Film, Edit, and Promote a Feature-Length Film for Less Than $10,000,” (Revised Edition—Completely Updated With a New Chapter on Digital Technology, Design: Gold, Ann, New York, New York, London, Harmondsworth, Ringwood, Victoria, Toronto, Ontario, and Tāmaki Makau Rau: Penguin Press Random House Group Books and Viking Press Books, 1995), Pp. xv–xxviii, “Feature Filmmaking at Used-Car Prices: How to Write, Produce, Direct, Shoot, Edit, and Promote a Feature-Length Movie for Less Than $15,000,” (Third Edition—Completely Updated With a Guide to Building Your Own Digital Video Moviemaking Workstation, Design: Kerner, Deborah, New York, New York, London, Harmondsworth, Ringwood, Victoria, Toronto, Ontario, and Tāmaki Makau Rau: Penguin George Palmer Putnam’s Sons Group Books and Viking Press Books, 2000), Pp. xxi–xxxiv, and “Extreme DV at Used-Car Prices: How to Write, Direct, Shoot, Edit, and Produce a Digital Video Feature for Less Than $3,000,” (Design: Lagin, Daniel, New York, New York, London, Harmondsworth, Camberwell, Victoria, Toronto, Ontario, New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Ōkahukura, Tāmaki Makau Rau, Rosebank, and Johannesburg: Penguin Press Random House Group Books, 2004), Pp. xxix–xxxviii; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, «El cine artístico y narrativo americano (1949–1979),» En: Monterde Lozoya, Josep José Enric Enrique y Rimbau i Möller, Esteve Esteban Saurí, (Coordinadores), «Historia general del cine,» (Volumen XI: «Nuevos cines, años 60,» Planificada por: Company, Juan M., Heredero, Carlos Fernández, Maqua Lara, Javier, Monterde Lozoya, Josep José Enric Enrique, Rimbau i Möller, Esteve Esteban Saurí, Talens Carmona, Jénaro, Torreiro Gómez, Casimiro, y Zunzunegui Díez, Santos, Coordinación editorial: Barreno, Marisa, Dirección general de la obra: Domínguez, Gustavo y Talens Carmona, Jénaro, Documentación gráfica: Muñoz, Fernando, Riosalido, Marta, Barreno, Marisa, Arruabarrena, Héctor, y García Galán, Margarita Marga García, Madrid: Ediciones Cátedra Signo e imagen, Gráficas Rógar, y Cobo Calleja Fuenlabrada, 1995), Pp. 235–260; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Pulp Affliction: The Sorry State of Contemporary Film – Tarantino? Or Cassavetes?,” In: “The Baffler: The Journal That Blunts the Cutting Edge,” (Number Eight: “Fatima, Lourdes, Nasdaq: The Cultural Miracle,” Editor-in-Chief: Frank, Thomas, Publisher: Lane, Greg, Managing Editor: Weiland, Matt, Senior Editors: Mulcahey, Diamonds and White, Keith, Associate Editors: Krukowski, Damon, Mahoney, Maura, and Vanderbilt, Tom, Traffic: Vogt, Emily, Chicago, Illinois: Salsedo Press, 1996), Pp. 41–49; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “American Vision: The Films of Frank Capra,” (Paperback Edition, Hanover, New Hampshire and London: Wesleyan University Press, University Press of New England, Brandeis University Press, Dartmouth College Press, Middlebury College Press, University of New Hampshire Press, University of Rhode Island Press, Tufts University Press, University of Vermont Press, and The Harvard Student Council’s Salzburg Global Seminar in American Civilization Studies, 1996, Originally Published: Cambridge, London, New York and New Rochelle, New York, Oakleigh and Melbourne, Victoria, and Sydney, New South Wales: Cambridge University Press and University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate Assessment and Press Syndicate of the University of Cambridge, 1986), Includes a “Preface to the 1996 Edition: Capra and the Critics,” Pp. xi–xviii; カーニー著, レイモンド・ フランシス, ジュニア, 『カサヴェテスの映したアメリカ: 映画に見るアメリカ人の夢,』 【訳: 梅本, 洋一, 東京: 株式会社勁草書房, 1997】; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, «Uno stile rivoluzionario: «Ice» e «Milestones»,» In: Turigliatto, Roberto, (Direttore), «Robert Kramer,» (Lindau Cinema Universale, 30, Fotografie: Ferrara, Minnie, Malanga, Elena, Lagossi, Paola, Kramer, Robert, Bachini, Elaine, e Gayard, J., Progetto grafico: Busto, Andrea, Torino, Paris, Roma, Berlin, Berlin, Lisboa, e Chivasso: Lindau Cinema, 15° Festival Internazionale Cinema Giovani, Richard Copuans e Catherine Roux, Les Films d’Ici, Sylvie Blum, Sylvie Richard, e Mina Lebœuf, Institut National de l’Audiovisuel, Annie Bichet e Veronique Foulon, Studio des Ursulines, Geneviève Sérieyx, Amnesty International, Les Cahiers du Cinéma, Dominique Brunet, Canal Plus Image International, Nadia Lakhdar, CinéCinémasCinéfil+ Classic, Franck Weber, Ciné-Tamaris, «Filmcritica,» Jean-Jacques Varet e Alexa Gutowski, Les Films du Paradoxe, Ulrich Gregor-Patalas e Karen Moeller, Freunde der deutschen Kinemathek, Fernanda Teixeira, Instituto Português da Arte Cinematográfica e Audiovisual, Martine Zack, La Sept Société européenne d’édition de programmes de télévision ARTE Association relative à la télévision européenne, Silvia Voser, Waka Films, Bernard Eisenschitz, Cédric Venail, Vincent Vatrican, Giulia D’Agnolo Vallan, Stephen Dwoskin, Cyril Thursten, Sabina Uberti-Bona, Fuori Orario, Robert Kramer, Traduko, Archivio Zambetti, e Servizi Grafici, 1997), Pp. 109–122; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Love on the Edge: Six Films From the Legendary Independent Director John Cassavetes – Shadows, Faces, Husbands, Minnie and Moskowitz, A Woman Under the Influence, Love Streams,” (Program Design: Volpe, Paul, New York, New York, Austin, Texas, Los Angeles, California, Chicago, Illinois, and Boston, Massachusetts: Miramax Films, August 1997–May 1998); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “When Mind Is a Verb: Thomas Eakins and the Work of Doing,” In: Dickstein, Morris, (Editor), “The Revival of Pragmatism: New Essays on Social Thought, Law, and Culture,” (Hard Cover and Paperback Editions, Post-Contemporary Interventions, Series Editors: Fish, Stanley Eugene, Jameson, Fredric Ruff, Hardt, Michael, and Dainotto, Roberto Maria, Durham, North Carolina and London: Duke University Press, 1998), Pp. 377–403; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Learning From John Cassavetes: A John Cassavetes Retrospective – John Cassavetes’ “Minnie and Moskowitz,” Elaine May’s “Mikey and Nicky,” John Cassavetes’ “Opening Night,” John Cassavetes’ “Faces”,” (Program Essay, Program Notes, Catalogue Copy, and Complete Film Notes, New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives, 27 November–13 December 1998); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Shadows, Faces, A Woman Under the Influence, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, and Opening Night,” To: Cassavetes, John Nicholas, “Shadows, Faces, A Woman Under the Influence, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, and Opening Night,” (Digital Versatile Video Disc and LaserDisc Editions, Tôkyô: Pioneer Entertainment Video Manufacturing and Castle Hill Productions, 1998–1999); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Carl Th. Dreyer: Learning From Dreyer – Reflections on the Lessons His Work Teaches,” In: Crone Jensen, Lene, Movin, Lars, and Kremer, Mark, (Editors), “Close-Ups: Contemporary Art and Carl Th. Dreyer – November 9. 1999 – January 9. 2000,” (Pohjoismainen nykytaiteen instituutti, Part Time Director: Wiik, Sonja, Exhibition Coordinator: Eeg-Tverbakk, Per Gunnar, Kunsthallen Sankt Nikolaj Kirke Udstillingsbygning, Curator: Delin Hansen, Elisabeth, Exhibition Manager: Dybbøl, Kirsten, Public Relations: Leth-Nissen, Stine, Graphic Design: Hagerup, Maria, Bridgwater, Paul, and Bridgwater, Julia, København, Helsingfors, and Amsterdam: Kunsthallen Sankt Nikolaj Kirke Udstillingsbygning, Visuaalisen taiteen keskus ja Frame-säätiö, Pohjoismainen nykytaiteen instituutti, Det Danske Filminstitut, Institut Français, Koninklijke Nederlandse Ambassade, Konsul George Jorck og Hustru Emma Jorck’s Fond, Litotryk Svendborg, Torben Christensen, Skolen for Mediekunst, Det Kongelige Danske Maler-, Skildre-, Billedhugger- og Bygnings-Kunstakademis Billedkunst Skolerne for de skjønne Kunster, Arkitektur, Design og Konservering – Arkitektskolenand i Kiøbenhavn, Bart Rutten, Nederlands Instituut voor Mediakunst, MonteVideo/Time Based Arts, Alwin Gøttsche, Gyldendal Undervisning / audiovisuel, Galerie Paul Andriesse, Curator Hedwig A. M. Fijen, and Curators Marente Bloemheuvel and Jaap Guldemond, 1999), Pp. 82–89; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “John Cassavetes: The Adventure of Insecurity – A Pocket Guide to the Films,” (Second Revised Edition, Photographs: Shaw, Larry and Shaw, Samuel, Walpole, Massachusetts: Newbury Biblical Theological Seminary Institute Methodist General Boston University, Studies in Contemporary Film, and Company C Publishing, 1999–2000); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Two Forms of Cinematic Modernism: Notes Toward a Pragmatic Aesthetic,” In: Ludington, Charles Townsend, Junior, (Editor), and Fahy, Thomas Richard and Reuning, Sarah Patrick, (Assistant Editors), “A Modern Mosaic: Art and Modernism in the United States,” (Hard Cover and Paperback Editions, Chapel Hill, North Carolina and London: University of North Carolina Press, 2000), Pp. 357–416; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior and Quart, Leonard, (Contributions), “The Films of Mike Leigh: Embracing the World,” (Hard Cover and Paperback Editions, Cambridge Film Classics, General Editor: Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, Cambridge, New York, New York, Oakleigh, Melbourne, and Port Melbourne, Victoria, Madrid, Cape Town, Singapura, São Paulo, São Paulo, Delhi and New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Dubai, Dubai, Tôkyô, and México, Distrito Federal: Cambridge University Press and University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate Assessment and Press Syndicate of the University of Cambridge, 2000); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Letters: Your Critic Is an Avowed Enemy of My Book,” In: “Cinéaste: America’s Leading Magazine of the Art and Politics of the Cinema,” (Volume XXVI, Number 4, Founder and Editor-in-Chief: Crowdus, Gary, Editors: Lucia, Cynthia and Porton, Richard, Consulting Editor: Georgakas, Dan, Contributing Editors: Grundmann, Roy, Quart, Leonard, Sklar, Robert Anthony, and West, Dennis, Assistant Editors: Calavita, Marco and Margolis, Joe, Editorial Interns: San Filippo, Maria, Hamid, Rahul, and Wheeler, Laura, Associates: Arthur, Paul, Doherty, Tom, Dowell, Pat, Horton, Andrew, Menashe, Louis, Neve, Brian Wallace, Rosenbaum, Jonathan, and Rotondi, Rosemary, Production Assistance: Robinson, Vicki, Staff Photographer: Janda, Judy, Website Editor: Dunne, Fiona, Advertising Representative: Saltz, Barbara, Union City, New Jersey, New York, New York, Danvers Salem Village, Massachusetts and Ann Arbor, Michigan: Cinéaste Publishers, Copyright Clearance Center, Bell and Howell Information and Learning, New York State Council on the Arts, and National Endowment for the Arts, September 2001), Pp. 92; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “In Print: Jim McKay Talks to Ray Carney About John Cassavetes,” In: “Filmmaker: The Magazine of Independent Film,” (Volume 10, Number 1, Publisher: Gallagher, Stephen, Editor: Macaulay, Scott, Senior Editor: Bowen, Peter, West Coast Editor: Stephens, Chuck, Managing Editor: Ogilvie, Liz, Art Director: Rosetti, Ken, Advertising Director: Gilmore, Ian, Administrative Assistant / Subscriptions: Salas, Arnold, Contributing Editors: Cowan, Noah, Geffner, David, Glucksman, Mary, Jones, Mike, Pearlman, Bari, Pincus, Adam, and Pride, Ray, Contributing Photographers: Craig-Martin, Jessica, de Lopez, Mario, Garfunkel, Henny, Greenfield, Lois, Kern, Richard, Schenck, Ned, Villalobos, Miguel, Whilden, JoJo, and Zash, Robert, Copy Editor: Lytle, Jeff, Production Assistant: So, Evelyn, Webmaster: Thirkield, Jonathan, Controller: Chandler, Barbara, New York, New York: Schumann Printers, Disticor Magazine Distribution Services, Gotham Film and Media Institute Independent Filmmaker Feature Project/West, and National Endowment of the Arts, Fall 2001), Pp. 12 and 89–92; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “John Cassavetes’s Movies, Ridiculed on Their Release, Now Have a Profound Influence on Film-Makers, Ray Carney Explains Why: Ordinary Lives, Extraordinary Films,” In: “The Daily Telegraph and Courier: Arts and Books,” (London: Telegraph Media Group, 24 February 2001), Pp. A8; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, (Editor), “Cassavetes on Cassavetes,” (Directors on Directors, London and New York, New York: Faber and Faber and Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2001, 日本語: カーニー著, レイモンド・ フランシス, ジュニア, 【ー編】, 『ジョン・カサヴェテスは語る,』 【訳: 都筑, はじめ, 遠山, 純生, 東京: ビターズ・エンド, 2000】, Deutsch: Herausgeber, »John Cassavetes über Cassavetes,« Filmbibliothek, Herausgeberin: Kagerer, Marion, Frankfurt am Main und Darmstadt, Hessen: Verlag der Autoren, SVG - Satz- und Verlags-Gesellschaft, Betz-Druck, Bayerl und Ost, und Deutsches Filminstitut und Filmmuseum für Filmkunde, 2003, Castellano: «Cassavetes por Cassavetes,» Crónicas, 63, Diseño de la colección: Najmías, Daniel y Vivas, Julio, Ilustración foto: Shaw, Samuel, Barcelona: Editorial Anagrama, Questions, y Liberduplex Sant Llorenç d’Hortons, 2004, Excerpted In: Cassavetes, John Nicholas and Kiselyak, Charles, “John Cassavetes: Five Films – Shadows / Faces / A Woman Under the Influence / The Killing of a Chinese Bookie / Opening Night / Plus: A Constant Forge—The Life and Art of John Cassavetes,” Digital Versatile Video Disc and Blu-Ray Disc Editions, Spines #250–#256, New York, New York: The Criterion Collection, Home Vision Entertainment, Castle Hill Productions, and John Cassavetes Faces International Films Distribution Corporation, 2004, Italiano: «John Cassavetes: Un’autobiografia postuma,» Minimum Fax Cinema – Nuova Serie, 12, Revisione: Castoldi, Silvia, Martini, Linda, Cassini, Marco, e Di Gennaro, Daniele, Impaginazione: Speziale, Enrica, Correzione delle bozze: Speziale, Enrica e Veneruso, Valeria, Progetto grafico: Falcinelli, Riccardo, Direttore editoriale: Testa, Martina, Direttore commerciale: Rocchi, Piero, Ufficio stampa: Grazioli, Alessandro e Innocentini, Rossella, Editor collana Nichel: Lagioia, Nicola, Editor collana Indi: Raimo, Christian, Redazione: Matrone, Dario e Speziale, Enrica, Ufficio diritti: Pieri, Lorenza, Redazione web: Aversano, Valentina, Rapporti con le librerie: Conti, Antonia, Responsabile magazzino: Baffetti, Constantino, Libreria Minimum Fax: Castiglione, Marilena, De Cesare, Francesca, Esposito, Andrea e Manni, Davide, Minimum Fax live: Cianflone, Mattia, Roma: Edizioni Minimum Fax, Arti Grafiche La Moderna, Messaggerie Libri, Lotto 49, Cartiere Burgo Group, e Fedrigoni Group, 2014, Français: «Cassavetes par Cassavetes,» Directeur: Lounas, Thierry, Raison, François, Rabourdin, Dominique, et Mattos Nogueira, Rui Augusto, Responsable des éditions: Pollas, Camille, Coordination éditoriale: Trichet, Mathilde et Werner, Maxime, Correction: Bischoff, Sunniva et Blot, Anne-Capucine, Iconographie: Bischoff, Sunniva, Conception graphique: Gouret, Juliette, Nantes: Capricci Films, Harmonia Mundi Livre, Centre National du Livre, Schweizer Filmarchiv/Cinémathèque suisse, Collection Cinémathèque Française, Samuel Shaw Family Archives, Orange Studio, Universal-International City Film Manufacturing Studio Pictures Video Productions, Frank Russell Francesco Rosario Capra Productions, LCJ Éditions et Productions, Revue Studios, Orion Pictures Releasing, Collection Dominique Rabourdin, Columbia Sony Pictures Entertainment, Nicoletta Zalaffi-Nogueira, Collection Rui Augusto Mattos Nogueira, Paramount Pictures, Wild Side Video, MK2 Marin Karmitz Productions, Ciné Malta, et Imprimerie Imago Publishing Group en Union européenne, 2020); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Shadows,” (British Film Institute Film Classics, Series Editor: White, Robert Hanley Gregor, Series Consultants: Buscombe, Edward, MacCabe, Colin Myles Joseph, Meeker, David, and Salmi, Markku, London, Basingstoke, Burghfield, Trowbridge, Bloomington, Indiana, and Berkeley, California: British Film Institute Publishing, Palgrave Macmillan, Indiana University Press, University of California Press, Andrew Barron and Collis Clements Associates, D R Bungay Associates, and The Cromwell Press, 2001, فارسی: کارنی، ریموند فرانسیس، جونیور، «سایه‌ها،» یک فیلم، یک جهان، ۱۹، مترجم: قشقایی، خشایار، تهران: انتشارات خوب، 2022); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Cassavetes on Cassavetes,” In: “Venice Magazine: Los Angeles’ Arts and Entertainment Magazine,” (Los Angeles and Venice, California: BFD Publications and Nancy Bishop, September 2001), Pp. 44; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Backstage: Carney Finds Rewarding Formula for Success,” In: “The Daily Progress Entertainment Magazine: Extra,” (Editor: Dunlop Norris, Jane, Charlottesville, Virginia: Virginia Newspapers, Lee Enterprises, and Peter S. Yates, Friday, 19 October 2001), Pp. 2; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “In Praise of Impurity: Thinking About Film, John Cassavetes, and the Awfulness of Most Movie Criticism—An Interview With Ray Carney By Jake Mahaffy,” In: “Cinemad Magazine: Film Before Food,” (Issue #Six: “Cassavetes: Man Not Myth,” Los Angeles, California: Mike Plante, February 2002), Pp. 4–11; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, «Love Streams et Un enfant attend,» Pour: Cassavetes, John Nicholas, «Love Streams et Un enfant attend,» (Adaptation: Moury, Francis, Grosso, Jean-Pascal, et Boulenger, Gilles, Direction artistique: Troublé, CMC Agnès Andrée Marguerite B. et Esnault Enodenis, Denis, Paris: Hollywood Classics International, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Studios Home Entertainment, J’aime le cinéma Ciné Malta, Night and Day Distribution, Centre National de la Cinématographie du cinéma et de l’image animée, CMC Agnès Andrée Marguerite B. Troublé, et Denis Esnault Enodenis, 2002–2003); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Arts: Ray Carney Describes His Search for a Missing Film – The Searcher: John Cassavetes’ Film Shadows Is an American Classic. But What Happened to the Missing First Version of the Masterpiece? Ray Carney Has Spent Two Decades Trying to Find Out. Now You See It... – I Reinterviewed the Cast and Crew to Try to Pick Their Brains for Memories About the First Version,” In: “The Manchester Guardian Review,” (London and Manchester: Guardian Newspapers, 21 February 2004), Pp. 16–17; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “An Interview With Ray Carney – Warning: Life Altering, Illusion Shattering Material Enclosed,” In: Thompson, Don and Rombes, Nicholas, (Editors), “Your Life Is a Movie – Alternative Visions of Film, Media and Culture: The Best of Solpix, 2002–2005,” (Washington, District of Columbia: Del Sol Press, 2005), Pp. 19–82; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Falling Into the World: Ray Carney Introduces Wim Wenders’ Film Wings of Desire,” In: “ARTicles: American Repertory Theatre,” (Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts: Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America-College Retirement Equities Fund Financial Services for the Greater Good, Volume 5, Number 2, November 2006), Pp. 5–7; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Moving Beyond Donald Trump,” To: Katz, Aaron, “Quiet City and Dance Party, USA: 2 Films By Aaron Katz,” (Producers: Grant, Andrew and Hillis, Aaron, Subtitles: Helminiak, Jeff, Package Design: Meola, Scott, New York, New York: Benten Films, AM-DVD, Visual Audio Captioning, CAV Media, and Simplissimus, 2007), Pp. 1–6; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Feature: John Cassavetes – An American Original: Nearly 20 Years After His Death, Independent Film-Making Pioneer John Cassavetes’ Films Continue to Echo and Inspire – The Work of American Actor/Director John Cassavetes in the ’60s and ’70s Has Become Part of the Canon, But at the Time He Was a Lone Wolf, Operating Beyond the Confines of the Studio, and the Controversy That Followed His Career Continues to This Day,” In: “Real Groove: Music, Film, Fashion and Culture Monthly,” (Issue 168: “Nick Cave: Old Testament Fury From The Australian Master,” Editor: Greive, Duncan, Fasion Editor: Elliott, Kate, Art Director: Barnes, Day, Advertising: Richards, Steve and Gregory, Katie, Designer: Black, Sara, Proofing: Satherley, Dan and Kerryanne, Brett, Photographers/Illustrators: Alckin, Sean, Andrews, Chris, Barnes, Day, Clarke, Conor, Cudby, Chris, Field, Steve, Greive, Duncan, Knox, Chris, Radojcic, Milana, and Taylor, Dane, General Manager: Richards, Steven, Publications Co-Ordinator: Dickinson, Gemma, Tāmaki Makau Rau: Neon Sleep, Rokpx, Mercury Subscriptions, Nicholson Print Solutions, Gordon and Gotch, and Real Groove Promotions, March 2008), Pp. 38–39; Карни, Реймонд Фрэнсис, Джуниор, «Кассаветис о Кассаветисе,» В: «Искусство кино» (Предисловие и перевод с английского: Шевченко, Александра, Москва, Центральный экономический район: Искусство кино, №10, Октября и №11, Ноября, 2008), С. 112–130; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Excavating the Human Remains: The Films of Jay Rosenblatt,” To: Rosenblatt, Jay, “The Films of Jay Rosenblatt, Volume 1: Restricted, Short of Breath, The Smell of Burning Ants, Human Remains, King of the Jews,” (New Paltz, New York: Locomotion Films, 2009); Карни, Реймонд Фрэнсис, Джуниор, ««Тени» Джона Кассаветиса: Фрагмент книги Рэя Карни «Кассаветис о Кассаветисе»,» В: «Сеанс № 43/44. Кино: Критика, история, теория, интервью – Это печально» (Концепция и составление, заместитель главного редактора, и главного редактора: Степанов, Василий Евгеньевич и Шавловский, Константин Борисович, Дизайн, выпускающий редактор, и главный редактор журнала, художественный руководитель мастерской: Аркус, Любовь Юрьевна и Лезников, Пётр, Фотографы: Акимова, София, Низовский, Александр, Вишневецкая, Юлия, и Орлов, Александр Сергеевич, Управляющий редактор: Марсова, Катерина, Литературный редактор: Чечот, Аглая, Верстка: Бондаренко, Светлана, Бильд-редактор: Киселёв, Дмитрий и Муштай, Евгений, Корректоры: Белозёров, Алексей, Пошивалова, Сима, и Разинкина, Елизавета, Переводчики: Афонин, Сергей, Вайзер, Татьяна, Великанова, Мария, и Клейнер, Светлана, Расшифровщики: Викторова, Анастасия, Домагальская, Наталия, Тихомирова, Елена, бухгалтер, Главный, и Быкова, Алла, Директор по распространению: Голиков, Михаил, Секретарь редакции: Зеленская, Анастасия, Санкт-Петербург, Северо-Западный экономический район: Департамент кинематографии Министерстве культуры, Ленфильм, Типография Правда 1906, и Александр Алексеевич Голутва, 29 Декабрь 2010), С. 84–85; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, «John Cassavetes et l’histoire du cinéma américain,» Dans: Jeunet, Jean-François, (Directeur), «John Cassavetes,» (La Madeleine: Éditions LettMotif, 2014 et 2019), Pp. 7–32; and Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, «Retorno a Shadows» y «La madurez de Cassavetes: Faces y Una mujer bajo la influencia,» En: Montero, José Francisco, (Coordinador), «John Cassavetes: Interior noche,» (Trayectos libros, 14, Colección dirigida por: Higueras Flores, ‪Rubén, Valencia: Asociación Ediciones Shangrila Textos Aparte, 2018), Pp. 24–43 y 196–241. These books, authored by the person whom I consider as the most important theoretician and scholar of cinema as an artform, have completely changed the way in which I view the medium.
Last edited by Cinephile on Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:24 pm, edited 280 times in total.
niminy-piminy

Post by niminy-piminy »

1/ my favorite local fiction writer is Jan Lukeš and my favorite book by him is called "My Life in Music".
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/239 ... vot-v-hudb
unfortunately, Goodreads messes up two different persons of the same name Jan Lukeš and thus clicking Jan Lukeš on Goodreads is misleading (only some entries relate to THE Jan Lukeš in question).
i doubt Jan Lukeš's fringe oeuvre will ever be translated — the world of hegemonic languages misses a lot!
there is a book called "The Neophasic Polyglottia of Psychotics" written by Jan Stuchlík (he was Jan Lukeš's psychiatrist and this book is Jan Lukeš's monograph) — it has an English summary that i transcribed on Goodreads...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/231 ... -psychotik

Summary:

At the heart of this book is a previously unpublished fragment of a paper entitled "The Neophasic Polyglottia of Psychotics" by Professor Jaroslav Stuchlík. This fragment, which was found among his papers after his death, in effect has two sections.

In the first, Stuchlík writes about a range of cases in histories from around the world related to the issue of glossolalia and neophasia. Here, he touches on the pseudo-Sanskrit and Martian language of Hélène Smith, a patient of Professor Théodore Flournoy, and on the ecstatic phasic output of Countess Zinzendorf, as recounted by Oskar Pfister. He analyses in depth case histories reported by Alphonse Maeder, Karl Tuczek, Michel Cénac, Lucie Jessner and Guilhelm Teulié before, finally, dwelling on recent cases cited by Jean Bobon.

The second section is devoted to a case of his own, that of Dr Jan Lukeš, who was famed for creating sixteen neophasia that are apparently spoken on the imaginary asteroid Thetis. He provides a detailed anamnesis of the patient and details his other inventions, his technical discoveries, his research activities, and his musical output. Stuchlík devotes a separate chapter to the etiology of the name given to the Ishi language, the most developed of the sixteen languages. He then describes the six phases in the genesis of the Ishi language and, in particular, its vocabulary. At the end, he also considers the grammar and syntax of the Ishi language.

The publication contains the surviving correspondence of his patient, Jan Lukeš. Most of his correspondence was with Professor Stuchlík, but letters with others are also included if they are thematically related to the issue of neophasia. This correspondence reveals the idiosyncratic personality of Jan Lukeš and fleshes out the nature of the relationship formed between the patient and his doctor. Moreover, it paints an interesting picture of the atmosphere of a troubled period, under the totalitarian regime of the 1950s and the 1960s, and the risks to which Lukeš's behaviour exposed the professor.

In his foreword, PhDr. Vladimír Borecký [editor of this book] discusses the current state of research into linguistic neoformations. He notes studies by Umberto Eco and Marina Yaguello about the creation of artificial language but also their work on glossolalia and the quest for the metalanguage of Mankind. He pays particular attention to the theme of fou littéraire (foolish literature), a topic explored by Raymond Queneau and André Blavier, and écrits bruts (writings by outsiders), a theme derived from Jean Dubuffet Michel Thévoz's concept of art brut (art of outsiders). He also writes about poetic languages that employ neomorphisms, and about works of prose and literary fiction that use neophasic elements. He concludes by drawing attention to some new facts relating to the mystifying language of George Psalmanaazaar from the 18th century and to current responses to the classic case of Hélène Smith's Martian language. Borecký continues by providing an overview of Stuchlík's magazine articles devoted to neophasia and of his approach to the problem, an approach that is viewed with an exceptional degree of appreciation globally. He emphasises the exceptional character of Stuchlík's case, which would no doubt be appreciated appropriately in countries and languages with a larger literature and a case that remains unjustly neglected in its native, Czech environment.

In his postscript, Borecký considers the personality of Professor Jaroslav Stuchlík, the twists and turns of his fate, and his importance, primarily for the development of Czech psychotherapy and mental hygiene. From Stuchlík's studies under Eugene Bleuler in Zurich and Emil Kraepelin Munich in the early 20th century, through to his introduction of psychoanalysis into the Czech-speaking world and beyond – to his 20-year stint in Košice during the First Republic, his final demotion during Nazi occupation, the brief period of recognition for him and his work between 1945 and 1948, and his final demotion under the communists. PhDr. Vladimír Borecký seeks to return Jaroslav Stuchlík to his rightful place as an exceptional figure in Czech and Slovak psychiatry, a status he was long denied by the vagaries of his time.

(Stuchlík, J., The Neophasic Polyglottia of Psychotics, pp. 472-473)
2/ my fav fiction writer from abroad is Raymond Roussel (Impressions of Africa, Locus Solus).
wba

Post by wba »

wba2 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:56 am My 20 favorite books would look something like this:

in chronological order

Gorgias
Plato, Greece ca. 380 BC

El ingenioso hidalgo don Quijote de la Mancha "Don Quixote I"
Miguel de Cervantes, Spain 1605

Segunda parte del ingenioso hidalgo don Quijote de la Mancha "Don Quixote II"
Miguel de Cervantes, Spain 1615

Geroy nashevo vremeni "A Hero of Our Time"
Mikhail Lermontov, Russia 1840

Les Trois Mousquetaires "The Three Musketeers"
Alexandre Dumas, France 1844

Brat'ya Karamazovy "The Brothers Karamazov"
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Russia 1880

Also sprach Zarathustra "Thus Spoke Zarathustra"
Friedrich Nietzsche, Germany 1885

Pan
Knut Hamsun, Norway 1894

On Baile's Strand
William Butler Yeats, Ireland 1904

The Apple Cart
George Bernard Shaw, UK 1929

Eine unglückliche Liebe "A Sad Affair"
Wolfgang Koeppen, Germany 1934

Black Angel
Cornell Woolrich, USA 1943

La pelle "The Skin"
Curzio Malaparte, Italy 1949

Le Hussard sur le toit "The Horseman on the Roof"
Jean Giono, France 1951

Aa, kouya "Ah, Wilderness"
Shuji Terayama, Japan 1966

Kagirinaku tomei ni chikai buru "Almost Transparent Blue"
Ryu Murakami, Japan 1976

Die unendliche Geschichte "The Neverending Story"
Michael Ende, West Germany 1979

The Gunslinger
Stephen King, USA 1982

It
Stephen King, USA 1986

Die 13½ Leben des Käpt'n Blaubär "The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear"
Walter Moers, Germany 1999
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov