What did you read last month?

nrh

Re: What did you read last month?

Post by nrh »

should we do a big "what we read this year" thread at the end of the month?
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

nrh wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:09 am should we do a big "what we read this year" thread at the end of the month?
We should!
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

December 2020:

Passing (Nella Larsen) 4.5/5
Human Matter: A Fiction (Rodrigo Rey Rosa) 2.5/5 - I don't think the diary structure works well here. Quite dull, especially those dreams. Severina was much much better.
Red Cavalry ( Isaac Babel) 3/5
Elmer Gantry (Sinclair Lewis) 4/5
Behemoth: A History of the Factory and the Making of the Modern World (Joshua B. Freeman) 3.5/5
Their Eyes Were Watching God ( Zora Neale Hurston) 4/5
Common Ground: A Turbulent Decade in the Lives of Three American Families ( J. Anthony Lukas) 5/5
Songs of the Dragons Flying to Heaven and Other Plays (Young Jean Lee) 3/5 - This generated lots of eye rolls from me. Maybe watching the actual play would work better?

Corto Maltese en Sibérie (Hugo Pratt)
Vinland Saga, Volumes 1 and 2 (Makoto Yukimura) - Pretty enjoyable, I'll continue
wba

Post by wba »

December 2020

Ett dockhem “Ein Puppenheim“ [translated by Klaus Möllmann] (August Strindberg / 1884 / Sweden / Swedish / German) - 7/10
Höst “Herbst“ [translated by Klaus Möllmann] (August Strindberg / 1886 / ? / ? / German) - 6.5/10
Tanzpause (Vicki Baum / 1926 / Germany / German / German) - 7/10
Tribadernas natt “Die Nacht der Tribaden“ [translated by Heiner Gimmler] (Per Olov Enquist / 1975 / Sweden / Swedish / German) - 3.5/10
Gauguin und van Gogh (Carl Sternheim / 1924 / Germany / German / German) - 6.5/10
Xala “Xala: Die Rache des Bettlers“ [translated by Karin Boden, Monique Lütgens] (Ousmane Sembène / 1973 / France / French / German) - 7/10 ♥
Schloss Gripsholm (Kurt Tuholsky / 1931 / Germany / German / German) - 6.5/10
À l'aube “Morgengrauen“ [translated by Norma Cassau] (Philippe Djian / 2018 / France / French / German) - 6.5/10
Den starkere “Die Stärkere“ [translated by Emil Schering] (August Strindberg / 1889 / Sweden / Swedish / German) - 6/10
The Second Sleep (Robert Harris / 2019 / UK / English / English) - 6.5/10
La Princesse de Montpensier “Die Prinzessin von Montpensier“ [translated by Gerda von Uslar] (Marie-Madeleine de La Fayette / 1662 / France / French / German) - 7/10
Im Schatten meiner Filme (Veit Harlan, H. C. Opfermann / 1966 / West Germany / German / German) - 7/10 ♥
Der Spieler Cormick (Max Krell / 1922 / Germany / German / German) - 6/10
La Muerte Lenta de Luciana B. “Der langsame Tod der Luciana B“ [translated by Angelica Ammar] (Guillermo Martínez / 2007 / Argentina / Spanish / German) - 6/10
Bracke. Ein Eulenspiegel-Roman (Klabund / 1918 / Germany / German / German) - 6.5/10
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
brian d

Post by brian d »

the little demon (fyodor sologub) *****
historia de un pepe (josé milla) [reread] ***
la hija del adelantado (josé milla) [reread] ***
jude the obscure (thomas hardy) [reread] ****
against logicians (sextus empiricus) ****
los nazarenos (josé milla) [reread] ***
a christmas carol (charles dickens) *****

i mentioned on the other thread but jude the obscure is the only hardy novel that, on rereading it, went down a bit in esteem. probably in part because it had been so long, but sue bridehead's character just doesn't work for me, feels like she never really comes together in the way the others do. a christmas carol is actually a really fascinating read if you pay attention to what happens with time and space in it, things are warped in weird ways and i'm not sure if i can think of anything that predates it (or much that follows it) that manipulates a character's surroundings like that one does. and i suppose the christmas message of it is nice with all the kindness and change and bringing people together and blah blah blah...
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"
nrh

Post by nrh »

fantastic tales, iginio ugo tarchetti
who was changed and who was dead, barbara comyns
the franchise affair, josephine tey
barley patch
bloodstone, karl edward wagner
blood: a southern fantasy, michael moorcock
fabulous harbors, michael moorcock
the war amongst the angels, michael moorcock
wolf solent, john cowper powys
the course of the heart, m john harrison
heat, poomani
the book of illusion, paul auster
the vice-consul, marguerite duras
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy, 1867) - 5/5
The Monkey's Wrench (Primo Levi, 1978) - 4/5
Heidi: Her Years of Wandering and Learning (Johanna Spyri, 1880) - 4/5
Family Lexicon (Natalia Ginzburg, 1963) - 3.5/5
Houseboy (Ferdinand Oyono, 1956) - 3.5/5
The Old Capital (Kawabata Yasunari, 1962) - 3.5/5
Based on a True Story (Norm Macdonald, 2016) - 3.5/5
The Story Of Abelard's Adversities (Pierre Abélard, 1135) - 3/5
The Mirror Maker (Primo Levi, 1986) - 3/5
Amores (Ovid, 16 BC) - 3/5
Love in a Bottle (Antal Szerb, 1946) - 3/5
Acts of Worship (Mishima Yukio, 1965) - 2.5/5
Nothing More than Murder (Jim Thompson, 1949) - 2.5/5
The Wizard of Oz (L. Frank Baum, 1900) - 2/5
The Bed Book (Sylvia Plath, 19??)
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

The Murderess (Alexandros Papadiamantis) 3.5/5
The Ways of White Folks (Langston Hughes) 4/5
The Radetzky March (Joseph Roth) 4.5/5
Native Son (Richard Wright) 3/5
The Land of Green Plums ( Herta Müller) 2/5 - insufferable
The Fire Next Time (James Baldwin) 4/5

The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire Vol 4/6 (Edward Gibbon)

Fable de Venise (Hugo Pratt) ♥
Red Rackham's Treasure (Herge)
The Blue Lotus (Herge)
The Dark Knight Returns (Frank Miller) 2/5 - strictly for teenagers
brian d

Post by brian d »

under the glacier (halldór laxness) **
trilby (george du maurier) *
el visitador (josé milla) [reread] ****
the well beloved (thomas hardy) [reread] **
the man within (graham greene) ****
dusklands (j.m. coetzee) ***
madam crowl's ghost and other stories (sheridan le fanu) ***
nrh

Post by nrh »

felicie, georges simenon
a dream come true, juan carlos onetti

light month, mostly because i found the enormous collected short fiction of onetti mostly great but extremely slow going. i always wish i was the sort of person who could move around freely in these giant, chronologically ordered short fiction collections but i find myself going painstakingly through in printed order every time...
wba

Post by wba »

January 2021

Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher (Walter Moers / 2004 / Germany / German / German) – 7.5/10 ♥
The Institute (Stephen King / 2019 / USA / English / English) – 6/10
Beate und Mareile. Eine Schloßgeschichte (Eduard von Keyserling / 1903 / Germany / German / German) – 6/10
Ivanhoe (Walter Scott / 1819 / United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland [Scotland, Edinburgh] / English / English) – 6.5/10
Tithidore “When the Time is Right“ [translated by Arunava Sinha] (Buddhadeva Bose / 1949 / India / Bengali / English) – 8/10 ♥
Kosmopoliten, Nationalisten, Visionäre. Indische Filmstudenten und Filmschaffende im Deutschland der Weimarer Republik (Eleanor Halsall / 2020 / Germany / German / German) – 5.5/10
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

THE TREMOR OF FORGERY -- Patricia Highsmith 8/10
STROHEIM -- Arthur Lennig -- 8/10
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
nrh

Post by nrh »

the promise, silvina ocampo
the horizontal man, helen eustis
in a lonely place, dorothy b. hughes
the blank wall, elizabeth sanxay holding
fools' gold, dolores hitchens
sparrow, mary doria russell
children of god, mary doria russell
our spoons came from woolworths, barbara comyns
vintage murder, ngaio marsh
the vet's daughter, barbara comyns
maigret, lognon and the gangsters, georges simenon

barbara comyns is one of the most exciting new to me writers i've come into contact with in years
wba

Post by wba »

February 2021

Der Provinzlärm (Wilhelm Lehmann / 1930 / Germany / German / German) – 7.5/10 ♥
Wilhelm Lehmann (Werner Kraft / 1951 / Switzerland / German / German) – 6/10
‘Das Indische‘ bei Wilhelm Lehmann, exemplarisch dargestellt an Passagen aus dem Roman ‘Der Provinzlärm‘ (Knut Kammholz / 2008 / Germany / German / German) – 5/10
Wilhelm Lehmann zwischen Naturwissen und Poesie (Uwe Pörksen [editor] / 2008 / Germany / German / German) – 6.5/10
Sensei no kaban “ Der Himmel ist blau, die Erde ist weiß“ [translated by Ursula Gräfe, Kimiko Nakayama-Ziegler] (Hiromi Kawakami / 2001 / Japan / Japanese / German) – 6/10
Mogzauroba Qarabghshi “Reise nach Karabach“ [translated by Iunona Guruli] (Aka Mortschiladse / 1992 / Georgia / Georgian / German) – 7/10 ♥
Manhattan Love Song (Cornell Woolrich / 1932 / USA / English / English) – 8/10 ♥
Circe (Madeline Miller / 2018 / USA / English / English) – 6/10
wba

Post by wba »

nrh wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:35 am

barbara comyns is one of the most exciting new to me writers i've come into contact with in years
Thanks! Never heard of her, will check her out! :cowboy:
brian d

Post by brian d »

the decameron (giovanni boccaccio) [reread] *****
kafka on the shore (haruki murakami) **
memento mori (muriel spark) **
my brilliant friend (elena ferrante) ***
the sketchbook of geoffrey crayon (washington irving) [reread] ****
rocannon's world (ursula k. le guin) **

also read a bunch of really early central american books that nobody's ever heard of.
wba

Post by wba »

March 2021

Tennessee’s Partner (Bret Harte / 1869 / USA / English / English) – 8/10 :hearteyes:
Theorie und Praxis (Sven Safarow / 2019 / Germany / German / German) – 5/10
Le sapin pousse dans les caves “Die Nächte von St. Germain“ [translated by Hans-Joachim Hartstein] (Léo Malet / 1955 / France / French / German) – 5.5/10
The Deep (John Crowley / 1975 / USA / English / English) – 6/10
La planète des singes “Planet der Affen“ [translated by Merle Taeger] (Pierre Boulle / 1963 / France / French / German) – 5.5/10
Mästerdetektiven Blomkvist “Kalle Blomquist Meisterdetektiv“ [translated by Cäcilie Heinig] (Astrid Lindgren / 1946 / Sweden / Swedish / German) – 6.5/10 ♥
Darwins Jim Knopf (Julia Voss / 2009 / Germany / German / German) – 5/10
Transatlantic. Weimar and Hollywood (Laurence Kardish / 2010 / USA / English / English) – 5.5/10
Elevation (Stephen King / 2018 / USA / English / English) – 7/10 ♥
Inside the Mind, a Soul of Dynamite? Fantasy, Vision Machines, and Homeless Souls in Weimar Cinema (Thomas Elsaesser / 2010 / USA / English / English) – 7.5/10 ♥
La morte della farfalla. Zelda e Francis Scott Fitzgerald “Schön und verdammt“ [translated by Maja Pflug] (Pietro Citati / 2006 / Italy / Italian / German) – 6.5/10
Tschudi (Mariam Kühsel-Hussaini / 2020 / Germany / German / German) – 7/10 ♥
Trotzdem (Alexander Kluge, Ferdinand von Schirach / 2020 / Germany / German / German) – 6.5/10
Clemens Brentano (Wilhelm Lehmann / 1947 / Germany / German / German) – 5.5/10
Zum Bilde Ludwig Achim von Arnims (Wilhelm Lehmann / 1947 / Germany / German / German) – 6/10
Last edited by wba on Mon May 03, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
nrh

Post by nrh »

three women, robert musil
going to the dogs: the story of a moralist, erich kastner
the judge's house, georges simenon
little dorrit, charles dickens
madame maigret's friend, georges simenon
brian d

Post by brian d »

a suspension of mercy (patricia highsmith) ****
on the historical novel (alessandro manzoni) ****
cassandra at the wedding (dorothy baker) ***
a game of thrones (george rr martin) ***
barnaby rudge (charles dickens) ***

also still reading a bunch of central american novels and collections from the nineteenth century that no one's ever heard of. should finish those up this upcoming month, thank goodness...
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

i read nothing for the 11th month in a row. rlllllly don't wanna make it 12. rlllllllly don't
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
grabmymask

Post by grabmymask »

David Church — Grindhouse Nostalgia: Memory, Home Video and Exploitation Film Fandom
J.D. Salinger — The Catcher in the Rye
Andrew Sarris — The American Cinema: Directors and Directions 1929-1968
:lboxd:
brian d

Post by brian d »

the tenth man (graham greene) **
the girls of slender means (muriel spark) ****
the underground railroad (colson whitehead) ****
the magus (john fowles) **
f (daniel kehlmann) **
theory of the novel (guido mazzoni) ***
planet of exile (ursula k leguin) ***
nrh

Post by nrh »

ambergris (city of saints and madmen, shriek: an afterword, finch), jeff vandermeer
elric: fortress of the pearl, michael moorcock
artists in crime, ngaiao marsh
maigret and the old woman, georges simenon
erlic: sailor on the seas of fate

nothing but genre fiction this month. looks like i'll go in the opposite direction for (most of) may.
wba

Post by wba »

April 2021

Serye pčёly / Сepыe пчёлы “Graue Bienen“ [translated by Johanna Marx, Sabine Grebing] (Andrej Kurkow / 2018 / Ukraine / Russian / German) :hearteyes:
Valerie a týden divů “Valerie und die Woche der Wunder“ [translated by Ondřej Cikán] (Vítězslav Nezval / 1932, 1945 / Czechoslovakia / Czech / German) – 6.5/10
La casa in collina “Das Haus auf dem Hügel“ [translated by Maja Pflug] (Cesare Pavese / 1948 / Italy / Italian / German) – 5.5/10
Verstehen erfordert mehr als Vertruatheit. Mori Ōgai – Hanako – Rodin (Beate Wonde / 2016 / Germany / German / German) – 7/10 ♥
Aberystwyth Mon Amour (Malcolm Pryce / 2001 / UK / English / English) – 6.5/10
Ningen shikkaku “Gezeichnet“ [translated by Jürgen Stalph] (Osamu Dazai / 1948 / Japan / Japanese / German) – 4.5/10
Das Haus des Mr. Blood (Simon Borner / 2021 / Germany / German / German) – 5/10
Il Maestro (Martin Scorsese / 2021 / USA / English / English) – 7/10 ♥
Piasshingu “Piercing“ [translated by Sabine Mangold] (Ryū Murakami / 1994 / Japan / Japanese / German) – 6.5/10
Sean Connery (1930 - 2020) Alfa moški (Andrej Gustinčič / 2021 / Slovenia / Slovene / Slovene) – 6.5/10
Simptom ogorčene pozicije (Robert Kuret / 2021 / Slovenia / Slovene / Slovene) – 6/10
Matthias Schweighöfer Der Zyniker (Jochen Werner / 2020 / Germany / German / German) – 5/10
Gladly he lived, gladly he died – Wolf-Eckart Bühler (1945 - 2020) (Hans Schifferle / 2020 / Germany / German / German) – 7/10
Last edited by wba on Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wba

Post by wba »

May 2021

Nebel im Fjord der Lachse (C. C. Bergius / 1972 / West Germany / German / German) – 6.5/10
The Buried Giant (Kazuo Ishiguro / 2015 / UK / English / English) :hearteyes:
Beyle oder das merckwürdige Faktum der Liebe (Winfried Georg Sebald / 1990 / Germany / German / German) – 6.5/10
All‘estero (Winfried Georg Sebald / 1990 / Germany / German / German) – 5.5/10
Dr. K.s Badereise nach Riva (Winfried Georg Sebald / 1990 / Germany / German / German) – 6/10
Il ritorno in patria (Winfried Georg Sebald / 1990 / Germany / German / German) – 7/10 ♥
Schwindel. Gefühle. (Winfried Georg Sebald / 1990 / Germany / German / German) – 6.5/10
„Alle großen Verbrecher sehen unbedeutend aus!“ Heinz Rühmanns Nachkriegsfilm DAS GEHEIMNIS DER ROTEN KATZE (1949) (Hans J. Wulff / 2020 / Germany / German / German) – 4.5/10
The Watter's Mou' (Bram Stoker / 1895 / United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland / English / English) – 5.5/10
Phaídōn “Phaidon“ [translated by Rudolf Kassner] (Platon / ca. 380s BC / Ancient Greece [Athens] / Ancient Greek [Attic Greek] / German) – 4/10
Meine Pfote wirft keinen Schatten (Volker Reiche / 2016 / Germany / German / German) ♥
?? “A writer’s eye“ [translated by Paul Britten Austin, Veronica Britten Austin] (Olle Granath / 2005? / UK? / ?? / English) – 6.5/10
Im Fahrstuhl. Eine Liebesgeschichte (Richard Kähler / 1988 / Switzerland / German / German) – 6.5/10
Androcles and the Lion (George Bernard Shaw / 1912, 1916 / UK / English / English) – 7.5/10 :hearteyes:
Last edited by wba on Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arkheia

Post by arkheia »

Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner
Cinema against Spectacle: Technique and Ideology Revisited by Jean-Louis Comolli (reread)
Chinese Revolutionary Cinema: Propaganda, Aesthetics and Internationalism 1949–1966 by Jessica Ka Yee Chan

Just restarted The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones, hopefully I don't get distracted this time and see it through to the end :icon_e_geek:
brian d

Post by brian d »

omensetter's luck (william h gass) [reread] *****
alias grace (margaret atwood) ****
pietr the latvian (georges simenon) ***
city of illusions (ursula k le guin) ***
nrh

Post by nrh »

notes without a text, roberto bazlen
the diaries of emilio renzi: a day in the life, roberto piglia
the juniper tree, barbara comyns
invisible ink, patrick modiano
klara and the sun, kazuo ishiguro

a good month except for the ishiguro, which was a major disappointment...
wba

Post by wba »

June 2021

Sapiski is Mjortwogo doma “Aufzeichnungen aus einem Totenhaus“ [translated by Dieter Pommerenke] (Fjodor Michailowitsch Dostojewski / 1862 / Russia / Russian / German)
Notes for a Film Festival (Amos Vogel / 1970 / USA / English / English)
Mandabi: Confronting Africa (Julius Lester / 1970 / USA / English / English) ♥
Die Villa (Hans Joachim Schädlich / 2020 / Germany / German / German)
La nave “Das Schiff“ [translated by Rudolf Georg Binding] (Gabriele D'Annunzio / 1908 / Italy / Italian / German) ♥
Entzückter Staub (Wilhelm Lehmann / 1946 / Germany / German / German)
Die Tänzerin (Rudolf Timmermans / 1946 / Germany / German / German) :hearteyes:
al-Qôhira al-Jadîda “Das junge Kairo“ [translated by Hartmut Fähndrich] (Nagib Machfus / 1945 / Egypt / Arabic / German)
Silent Movies: the birth of film and the triumph of movie culture (Peter Kobel and the Library of Congress / 2007 / USA / English / English) ♥
Le Cheval Blanc “Zum Weißen Ross“ [translated by Trude Fein] (Georges Simenon / 1938 / France / French / German)
Mameluk “Der Filmvorführer“ [translated by Iunona Guruli] (Aka Mortschiladse / 2009 / Georgia / Georgian / German)
All Violent on the Western Frontier: Reassessing Two Revisionist Native American Westerns (Graham Fuller / 2020 / USA / English / English)
1920. Am Nullpunkt des Sinns (Wolfgang Martynkewicz / 2019 / Germany / German / German)
Last edited by wba on Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian d

Post by brian d »

tipping the velvet (sarah waters) **
loser takes all (graham greene) ***
this sweet sickness (patricia highsmith) **
the hole (hiroko oyamada) **
the disordered cosmos (chanda prescod-weinstein) ***