SCFZ poll: Hollis Frampton

flip

SCFZ poll: Hollis Frampton

Post by flip »

Polling the films of director Hollis Frampton

The rules:

- your list can include no more than half of the Frampton films you've seen, up to a maximum of 5. So if you've seen seven of his films, for example, you can list only a top 3. It's only if you've seen ten or more of his films than you can list the maximum of five.

- i'll assume ballots are ranked unless you tell me otherwise. unranked ballots are fine.

- deadline for ballots: next Friday, in seven days, whatever day that is

- if anyone is watching films for these polls, then i'll extend the deadline up to three days, if someone requests an extension

- next poll: whoever posts the first ballot in this thread is free to nominate the director we poll next, unless you've nominated in this round already (everyone should get a chance). Already nominated this round: greennui, bure, roscoe, kanafani, greg x, silga, oscarwerner, john ryan, mrcarmady, umbugbene, evelyn, m arkadin

umbugbene created an index on letterboxd of all of our previous polls here: letterboxd.com/umbugbene/list/index-of-all-scfz-director-polls/

one rule for nominees: at least 3 scfzers need to have seen 10+ of a nominee's films, or at least 4 scfzers need to have seen at least 8 of the nom's films, so if it isn't clear if that will be the case, we'll confirm that's true before moving forward

if 24 hours pass after a poll opens, and no one eligible to nominate has posted a ballot, then i'll nominate someone, and then we'll start over, and everyone will be able to nominate again
flip

Post by flip »

we'll use the extended rules for this:

- if you have seen an odd number of films, you can round up instead of down when deciding the length of your ballot (e.g. if you've seen 7, you can list a top 4 rather than the usual top 3)

- if you have seen more than 10 films, you can list more than 5, subject to the restriction above. so if you have seen 13, you can list up to 7 films... and please do! that will help us get to a top ten
flip

Post by flip »

Process Red
Lemon
Surface Tension
Information

seen seven
greennui

Post by greennui »

Hapax Legomena II: Poetic Justice
Hapax Legomena I: (nostalgia)
Lemon
Not the First Time
Manual of Arms
Winter Solstice
Pan 4
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Seen 5.

1. Hapax Legomena I: (nostalgia) (1971)
2. Gloria! (1979)
Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

Seen 15

Surface Tension
Process Red
Maxwell's Demon
Pan 4

I've not listed more (for the time being) because I have a very complicated relationship with Frampton's films. I greatly dislike many of them. I went to art school and have seen so much of this type of art that is always defended by a phrase like "I just felt it was interesting gesture" that I sometimes go a little insane with frustration.

On the other hand... when he gets it right, he REALLY gets it right. (nostalgia) alone is a really amazing piece (that features an incredible gesture if I do say so myself.) And he often has an uncanny ability to build some absolutely ethereal imagery that stays with you.
ole dole doff

Post by ole dole doff »

1. Hapax Legomena I: (nostalgia)
2. A and B in Ontario
3. Hapax Legomena III: Critical Mass
4. Snowblind
5. Prince Ruperts Drops
Palindrome [Second Dream]
Lemon
Process Red
Gloria!
Noctiluca (Magellan's Toys: #1)
Information
Heterodyne
Matrix [First Dream]

CARROTS & PEAS
NOT THE FIRST TIME
STATES
TIGER BALM
5/ MAXWELL'S DEMON
LESS
APPARATUS SUM
THE BIRTH OF MAGELLAN: CADENZA I
SURFACE TENSION
10/ PAN 0
PAN 1
Pan 2
Pan 3
PAN 4
15/ ARTIFICIAL LIGHT
ZORNS LEMMA
MANUAL OF ARMS
HAPAX LEGOMENA II: POETIC JUSTICE

https://youtu.be/TRFJ2KJr2fk
Last edited by ole dole doff on Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 32 times in total.
therouxxx

Post by therouxxx »

Gloria!
Process Red
Pan 0
Pan 2
Pan 697

otherwise mostly interested in seeing Zorns Lemma, which lacks a vote so far!
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

who's this man
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

i know nothing about this guy outside of his collaborations with Run DMC
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
flip

Post by flip »

Holymanm wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:10 pmwho's this man
some of the directors we polled recently who you asked this about i actually thought you might (maybe) like. this is not one of those directors.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

the lack of frampton comes alive! jokes in here is seriously disheartening
nrh

Post by nrh »

going to rewatch a few before voting but want to say his book circles of confusion is one of my favorite books by a filmmaker
ole dole doff

Post by ole dole doff »

The sequence of films (London screening, 2007) of the MAGELLAN series...
https://markwebber.org.uk/archive/categ ... -magellan/
http://hollisframpton.org.uk/frampton23.pdf
https://records.cmoa.org/things/dafba4b ... 661d1cc3b/
Originally intended as a 36-hour sequence in which individual titles would be shown on specific days in a calendar of one year and four days, it was left unfinished when Frampton died in 1984.
“A series of shaped observations that include portraits, cadaver footage, re-stagings of Lumière films, visits to slaughterhouses, double exposures, a field of peaceful dairy cattle, allusions to Muybridge, electronic imagery, industrial pictures, a state fair – a kind of capsule version of the twentieth century that might have been placed on the Voyager spacecraft as it soared out of the solar system to worlds unknown.”
—Robert Haller, Anthology Film Archives
I. The Birth of Magellan

CADENZA I AND XIV
1977-80, 16mm, colour, sound, 11 min
A prelude to Magellan’s universe, rife with allusions to Creation and Duchampian sexual puns: “The film about the bride in which two gentlemen, who we may presume to be bachelors, strip more or less bare a putative bride of some sort.” (HF)

MINDFALL I
1977-80, 16mm, colour, sound, 10 min
Emerges out of HF’s experiments with sound and Eisenstein’s ‘vertical montage’: “If you start responding to every stimulus, then you end up as a nerve gas case, quite literally. All the neurons fire at once.” (HF)

MATRIX [FIRST DREAM]
1977-79, 16mm, colour, silent, 28 min
A film of multiple superimpositions, utilizing the images of SOLARIUMAGELANI (a film shown later in the cycle) and the hexagonal images that recur throughout Magellan.

PALINDROME [SECOND DREAM]
1969, 16mm, colour, silent, 22 min
An early film of HF’s which was later incorporated into Magellan: “The menacing Latin palindrome IN GIRVM IMVS NOCTE ET CONSVMIMVR IGNI (By night we go (down) into a gyre / and we are burned in fire) serves as an epigraph to this animated film.” (HF)

MINDFALL VII
1977-80, 16mm, colour, sound, 10 min

NOCTILUCA [MAGELLAN’S TOYS #1]
1974, 16mm, colour, silent, 4 min
“Designed to be shown on the second day of the Magellan cycle. The title (nox / luceo) means something that shines at night, i.e. the moon […] The second day of the cycle seems to be an inventory of the knowledge, machines, and arms that Magellan – and latter-day voyagers like HF – had at the outset of his journey.” (Brian Henderson)

II. The Straits of Magellan

PUBLIC DOMAIN
1972, 16mm, b/w, silent, 14 min
A found-film composed of early films, arranged alphabetically according to copyright title, all readily retrievable / quotable fragments from our finite federal version of the “infinite film / the paper print collection at the Library of Congress.” (Bruce Jenkins)

STRAITS OF MAGELLAN: DRAFTS AND FRAGMENTS [PANOPTICONS]
1974, 16mm, colour, silent, 51 min
Directly inspired by the Lumière brother’s actualities, these one-minute films (49 of which are collected in Drafts and Fragments), are arranged around the circumference of the Magellan Calendar. Named Panopticons, they allude to Jeremy Bentham’s famous plan for a prison, and point to the dark ironies of Magellan’s Enlightenment project.

INGEIMM VIBIS IPSA PVELLA FECIT [VERNAL EQUINOX]
1975, 16mm, colour, silent, 62 min
Inspired by Eadweard Muybridge’s nude motion studies, this film was intended to be shown in 13 parts distributed equally through the calendar year.

SUMMER SOLSTICE [SOLARIUMAGELANI 2]
1974, 16mm, colour, silent, 32 min
“The operations that dislocate a film like Summer Solstice – I hope irreparably – from being a movie about the locomotion and eating habits of cows, a dairy film document or what have you, are finally of a whole lot less concern to me than the following things: how it looks, the sense that probably it was done deliberately, the pleasure or displeasure – the intrigue possibly – of attempting to retrieve the manner in which it was done while one is watching.” (HF)

PAS DE TROIS
1975, 16mm, colour, silent, 4 min
An analysis of film’s persistent relationship to sexuality, mediated by allusions to early cinema’s flicker and other aggressive qualities of the cinematic apparatus.

INGEIMM VIBIS IPSA PVELLA FECIT [VERNAL EQUINOX]
1975, 16mm, colour, silent, 62 min

AUTUMNAL EQUINOX [SOLARIUMAGELANI 3]
1974, 16mm, colour, silent, 27 min
The cows of Summer Solstice reappear, here filmed in a slaughterhouse, animated by HF’s revelation that animals are as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside.

WINTER SOLSTICE [SOLARIUMAGELANI 4]
1974, 16mm, colour, silent, 33 min
Shot in a steel mill, “a pre-textual locus dearly beloved by our Soviet predecessors” (HF), this film’s rhythmic and compositional textures pay tribute not only to Eisenstein and Vertov, but also to Abstract Expressionists like Franz Kline, Mark Rothko, and Clyfford Still.

1974, 16mm, silent, 51 min
“A sampling of 49 fragments from Frampton’s catalogue of ‘actualities,’ the films from Straits Of Magellan: Drafts & Fragments are all silent and unedited. Several invoke directly the work of the Lumières, as in Frampton’s reworking of Démolition d’un mur (1895), in which a dilapidated farm silo is demolished in place of the Lumières’ wall. He makes reference to his own work … and pays homage to the work of contemporaries. A complex range of formal issues are raised in other fragments. Finally, Frampton offers a number of analogues for the act of filming and cinematic seeing that include a series of appropriated ‘lenses’ (a stone portal, a wooden silo) and a set of ‘screens’ (a pool of water, curtains, a dusty window).” (Bruce Jenkins)

THE RED GATE [MAGELLAN AT THE GATES OF DEATH: PART I]
1976, 16mm, colour, silent, 52 min
In The Red Gate and The Green Gate the primary imagery comes from a human anatomy laboratory in tribute to and (in contestation with, Stan Brakhage’s The Act Of Seeing With One’s Own Eyes (1971). The films were to be divided into 24 sections, each section to be projected, right side up and forwards, and upside down and backwards according to the Magellan Calendar.

THE GREEN GATE [MAGELLAN AT THE GATES OF DEATH: PART II]
1976, 16mm, colour, silent, 53 min

STRAITS OF MAGELLAN: DRAFTS AND FRAGMENTS 1 [PANOPTICONS]

THE RED GATE [MAGELLAN AT THE GATES OF DEATH: PART I]
1976, 16mm, colour, silent, 52 min

THE GREEN GATE [MAGELLAN AT THE GATES OF DEATH: PART II]
1976, 16mm, colour, silent, 53 min

STRAITS OF MAGELLAN: DRAFTS AND FRAGMENTS 1 [PANOPTICONS]

III. The Death of Magellan

APPARATUS SUM [STUDIES FOR MAGELLAN: #1]
1972, 16mm, colour, silent, 3 min
“A brief lyric film of death, which brings to equilibrium a single reactive image from a room of cadavers.” (HF)

OTHERWISE UNEXPLAINED FIRES [MEMORANDA MAGELANI]
1976, 16mm, colour, silent, 14 min
“Filmed in large part during HF’s lecture-screening tour of the [San Francisco] Bay area: Visits to the Musée Méchanique, Land’s End, the Cliff House […] A visit to the Brakhage Colorado residence provided images of chickens / roosters.” (Gail Camhi)

QUATERNION [PARES MAGELANI]
1976, 16mm, colour, silent, 4 min
A visual dialogue with the artist James Rosenquist: “A safari by Hollis into the categorical domains of artifactual debris.” (Patrick Clancy)

YELLOW SPRINGS [MAGELLAN: VANISHING POINT #1, PARES MAGELANI]
1972, 16mm, colour, silent, 5 min
“A portrait of the filmmaker Paul Sharits, in particular response to energies he generated one May afternoon in 1971.” (HF)

FOR GEORGIA O’KEEFE [PARES MAGELANI]
An exquisite homage to O’Keefe’s “Radiator Building, Night.”

MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE [TEMPORA MAGELANI]
1976, 16mm, colour, silent, 5 min
HF’s affinity with Duchamp informs this film: If Eisenstein remade Anemic Cinema (1926), this film might have been the result.

NOT THE FIRST TIME [TEMPERA MAGELANI]
1976, 16mm, colour, silent, 5 min
“The viewer is engaged in a process of double vision that returns him to the image and subject in a manner more complex, more self-aware, and more temporal than the way most of us view photographs.” (Fred Camper)

TIGER BALM [MEMORANDA MAGELANI #1, MENS MAGELANI]
1972, 16mm, colour, silent, 10 min
After two years of massive didacticism in black-and-white [Hapax Legomena, 1971-72)], I am surprised by Tiger Balm, lyrical, in colour, a celebration of generative humours and principles, in homage to the green of England, the light of my dooryard … and consecutive matters.” (HF)

PROCESSION
inc. BANNER, USA, 1974, 16mm, colour, silent, 40 sec / DRUM, USA, 1975, 16mm, colour, silent, 20 sec / TUBA, USA, 1976, 16mm, colour, silent, 3 min
A collection of three short films: “A trip to the New York State Fair filtered through a most rarefied formal film.” (Scott MacDonald)

GLORIA!
1979, 16mm, colour, sound, 10 min
The last film of HF’s oeuvre and the last completed for Magellan, this film encapsulates the meta-history of cinema, bridging early cinema and video, and distils Magellan’s themes: the tension between image and language, Frampton’s ‘sentimental science’, tradition and memory, and the persistence of death.
Last edited by ole dole doff on Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

thoxans wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:55 am the lack of frampton comes alive! jokes in here is seriously disheartening
I once received an extra 1% on an essay grade, because I titled my essay on (nostalgia) 'Frampton Comes Alive', and the TA was a noted fan of '60s and '70s Anglophone popular music. My brief sojourn as a classic rock fan in my early-to-mid teens was not a complete wash, then.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

Evelyn Library P.I. wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:48 pmnot a complete wash
you can never unhear the talkbox
rischka

Post by rischka »

thoxans thx so much for bringing that back to my mind :?

i have only 3 so will vote

:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

flip wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:02 am
Holymanm wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:10 pmwho's this man
some of the directors we polled recently who you asked this about i actually thought you might (maybe) like. this is not one of those directors.
:lol:
ole dole doff

Post by ole dole doff »

https://www.aci-iac.ca/art-books/michae ... orks/blind
Michael Snow, Blind, 1968
Steel and aluminum, 246.4 x 245.7 x 246.4 cm
National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa
https://youtu.be/S3GYYmIWQHQ
flip

Post by flip »

jiri kino ovalis wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:31 pm 1.
jiri, you can pick our next director if you like!
ole dole doff

Post by ole dole doff »

What about Věra Chytilová or Angela Schanelec?
Would there be enough viewings?
me: Věra = 13, Angela = 6
greennui

Post by greennui »

Kinda surprised that I'm the only voter for Poetic Justice so far, probably his most "accessible" film.

Chytilová had two 10+ viewers the last time we checked (brain d, Gloede).
flip

Post by flip »

ok great let's do vera chytilova!
mesnalty

Post by mesnalty »

Seen 24 (would vote for more than 5, but it's been so long that I barely remember most of them):

1. (nostalgia)
2. Poetic Justice
3. Zorns Lemma
4. Gloria!
5. Winter Solstice
flip

Post by flip »

nrh wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:06 am going to rewatch a few before voting
i've tallied the ballots so far, but i'll wait until nrh posts a ballot (or tells me he doesn't plan to) before posting the final results.

and i can still accommodate edits to ballots posted above, but if anyone wants to edit their ballot, please quote the original in a new post along with the new ballot, so i know how to adjust the tally i've already done.

new ballots from other users also welcome until the final results are posted!
nrh

Post by nrh »

didn't get to watch anything this week but i'll post a ballot -

Zorns Lemma
Critical Mass
Surface Tension
Lemon
Gloria!
flip

Post by flip »

impressive to me - 21 different frampton films got at least one vote. i thought zorns lemma was frampton's best-known film (i haven't seen it), but it only crept into the bottom of the top ten because of the last couple of ballots. i took the dates from imdb -- they sometimes don't seem to make sense:

results
1. Hapax Legomena I: (nostalgia) (1971) — 22 pts
2. Process Red (1966) — 11.1 pts
3. Hapax Legomena II: Poetic Justice (1972) — 9 pts
3. Gloria! (1979) — 9 pts
3. Surface Tension (1968) — 9 pts
6. Lemon (1969) — 8.3 pts
7. Zorns Lemma (1970) — 8 pts
8. Hapax Legomena III: Critical Mass (1971) — 7 pts
9. A and B in Ontario (1984) — 4 pts
10. Pan 0 (1974) — 3 pts
11. Not the First Time (1976) — 2 pts