SCFZ poll: Tex Avery

Roscoe

Re: SCFZ poll: Tex Avery

Post by Roscoe »

Seen both -- I LOVE TO SING-A. No contest. Avery's MGM work leaves me shrugging, it's just crass and loud and worst of all, for all the crassness and volume, it's just torturously unfunny. Mileage is gonna vary, clearly.
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
flip

Post by flip »

i just watched cellbound and loved it, it would have been on my ballot had i seen it on time. i have a rule that i don't change my ballot after i start a tally, because it would become too easy for me to vote strategically if i did, but i'm hoping now that it wins the tiebreak
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

flip wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:08 pm i just watched cellbound and loved it, it would have been on my ballot had i seen it on time. i have a rule that i don't change my ballot after i start a tally, because it would become too easy for me to vote strategically if i did, but i'm hoping now that it wins the tiebreak
you could watch i love to singa and vote in the run-off, still, though, right? since it's binary there's no tactical voting element
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
flip

Post by flip »

yes i'd have no problem with doing that, but i tried to find i love to singa and couldn't track it down (only checked youtube which just has clips as best i can tell)
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
flip

Post by flip »

oh cool, thanks - i liked it, but i prefer cellbound, these films need pace to work really well for me, cellbound i found a lot funnier (and funner) though sing-a probably has more heart:

cellbound
rischka

Post by rischka »

I LOVE TO SINGA 🧑‍🎤
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions

Post by ... »

I Love to SInga
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

I just re-watched I Love to Singa, and I'd like to insert it in my list in third place. Haven't found a good copy of Cellbound online though... anyone have a link? There's one on Vimeo, but some street artist inserted himself as a character into the cartoon.
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Umbugbene wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:28 pm I just re-watched I Love to Singa, and I'd like to insert it in my list in third place. Haven't found a good copy of Cellbound online though... anyone have a link? There's one on Vimeo, but some street artist inserted himself as a character into the cartoon.
It's in the place.
flip

Post by flip »

Umbugbene wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:28 pm I just re-watched I Love to Singa, and I'd like to insert it in my list in third place.
i feel like once a tiebreaker runoff has started, i don't want to set a precedent where i allow people to edit their ballots, because then anyone who wants cellbound to win can just override the runoff vote and modify their ballot to give cellbound more points, and same with those who want i want to singa to win, which could be chaos... and i'd feel like i should then be able to update my ballot too which would put us roughly back where we are now anyway.

if you watch cellbound, you can vote in the runoff, which will tie things up and will make it either film's contest!
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

That's fair. Nevermind about editing my ballot. But my vote could still go either way, couldn't it? Or are you that confident I'll choose Cellbound? ;)
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

cellbound
cellbound
cellbound
cellbound
cellbound

*seen ten (did i do it right?)
flip

Post by flip »

Umbugbene wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:48 am That's fair. Nevermind about editing my ballot. But my vote could still go either way, couldn't it? Or are you that confident I'll choose Cellbound? ;)
i was assuming a vote for singa, which would tie things up! though now that thoxans has voted, cellbound is two votes up...
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

whoops. i was jk’ing. sorry, flip. in hindsight, my post def needed more emojis to accentuate its brainless uselessness, i.e., i have nothing to contribute, and don’t know how i ended up here in the first place
flip

Post by flip »

thoxans wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:59 am whoops. i was jk’ing.
oh wait were you posting a new ballot, or voting in the tiebreaker? you can definitely post a new ballot (i thought you already had which is why i took it as a tiebreaker vote), but you can't vote for cellbound fifty times :)
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

I love that loud Texan, but I wouldn't want to drag this any longer. I'll post a ballot or vote for a film in the tiebreaker only if it helps in anyway.
aka FGNRSY
flip

Post by flip »

it would be great to get a ballot if you've seen a lot of tex avery - that would help to break some of the ties further down the list. i think the only thing i'll declare right now, no matter what your ballot says, is that i love to singa and cellbound will be #1 and #2 on the final list, in some order. and please vote in the tiebreaker too if neither of those films rank in your top five!
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

1. Sh-h-h-h-h-h
2. Who Killed Who?
3. Dumb-Hounded
4. Symphony in Slang
5. The Legend of Rockabye Point

This was hard, I had to limit myselft to one short per actor/cartoon character.

And I vote for Cellbound.
aka FGNRSY
flip

Post by flip »

thanks searchlike! i've updated the results, and i think i'll now declare the poll closed - cellbound is approximately 2 (maybe 3 if thoxans was voting for it, but maybe 1 if umbugbene was voting against it) points ahead in the tiebreak, so leaving that runoff vote open longer isn't too likely to matter. though i'll still count votes that come in before i post to letterboxd, which i'll actually probably do in the next 24-48 hours.
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

Just saw Cellbound and liked it, mostly, but I still prefer I Love to Singa. After a while I feel so sorry for that poor dog that the cartoon becomes more witty than funny. Flip said it well when he wrote that Sing-a has more heart; I tend to weigh that more heavily.
flip

Post by flip »

ok i went ahead and posted the final results to letterboxd, so this is officially closed:

https://letterboxd.com/fliptrotsky/list ... -poll-260/
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Delighted to see Cellbound at #1! Always nice when one's advocacy for a film has an impact on the results :D
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

I'm so glad Red Hot Riding Hood made it to the Top 5, even though I didn't vote for it. Life of the party Droopy in the Top 10 is great too. I Love to Singa and Rockabye Point are also good reminders that Tex did indeed have a heart. I'm quite happy with the results.
aka FGNRSY