Lencho of the Apes

A new Ozu

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Re: A new Ozu

Post by Curtis, baby »

That sounds amazing! I hope it comes to Vancouver... if so, I'll definitely have to make a day trip to the city to catch it
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
wba2

Post by wba2 »

That's great news!!

Hope the restoration is good (the post makes it sound terrible and has nothing to do with how films are "actually" restored nowadays...
DCP my ass!
To please the majority is the requirement of the Planet Cinema. As far as I'm concerned, I don't make a concession to viewers, these victims of life, who think that a film is made only for their enjoyment, and who know nothing about their own existence.
nrh

Post by nrh »

wba wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:11 am That's great news!!

Hope the restoration is good (the post makes it sound terrible and has nothing to do with how films are "actually" restored nowadays...
DCP my ass!
yes each time i hear "this film is restored" my heart sinks and i know i'll never see it on film again...
sally

Post by sally »

i never see anything on film anyway, all the cinemas round me have given up showing anything but marvel movies. so caring about how films are 'restored' is a luxury to me (and most people) that i can't indulge. seeing something that bears some degree of relation to what it originally was will have to do.

which doesn't really apply here because from what i read elsewhere, there's some reels still missing? a 38 min film is now 19 mins? if it makes sense, fine. but the director should be listed as 'ozu + contingency'
patrick

Post by patrick »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:45 am i never see anything on film anyway, all the cinemas round me have given up showing anything but marvel movies.
England is really awful wrt projection format, even living next to a big city like Liverpool, the opportunity arises only once in a blue moon. I've only ever seen 2001 on 70mm, and I think they were showing Dunkirk in 35mm at some point too :|
owen

Post by owen »

Most rep showings by me come with DVD menus and a fairly small screen. It's generally paying £8 for the pleasure of seeing something you've already seen and generally own with 20 or so others and then gettting frustrated when they talk over it. But at least I get the showings I guess, I know a lot of places don't.

Not relevant to Ozu of course, just joining in the moaning about British projection
cinesmith

Post by cinesmith »

This isn't as recent a restoration as it appears. Here is a part of it that was posted in 2012 This runs only 13.53 minutes
The full length is 38 minutes and It's a available on the Criterion Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... is+a+1929+
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

sweet thanks man. that's sick i actually didn't know he was still making movies
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
greennui

Post by greennui »

Cool. Is he finally gonna stop beating around the bush and actually do the one with the gay son struggling to move away from his mom?