8-Moonstruck (1987)
rischka

Post by rischka »

:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
wba

Post by wba »

Just watched 8MM yesterday, and I have a question for the (few) who have it on their lists:

What did you like about the film or Cage's performance in it?

To me it seemed completely mediocre (from the 40+ Cage films I've seen it's easily in the bottom 10) and Cage's performance maybe the most uninteresting out of all 41 Cage films I've seen. Yeah, the camerawork was fantastic, but then the script was like it had been written by a 5 year old who stitched disparate things from other films together, like making goulash, but with 50 weird ingredients mixed in randomly. Or is this a "so good it's bad" thing?

PS: Ok, I found it better than RAISING ARIZONA, but with that film I can at least understand what people seem to like about it (though I personally couldn't stand that shit or most other shit from the Coens), and also Cage was his brilliant usual self there.

EDIT: sorry, I checked all the lists so far and it's only on one of them, so never mind, and you all just skip my uselest post
Last edited by wba on Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov

Post by ... »

Sadly I missed posting a list celebrating Nicmas day, since the idiots in DC took all my attention, I had started to write some notes about Cage, but the distraction kept me from finishing them, to no one's loss I guess. Anyway, I'll provide my list in case other distractions arise and let the rest sort itself out and maybe add something more later.

Moonstruck
Raising Arizona
Adaptation
Vampire's Kiss
Face/Off
Racing with the Moon
Peggy Sue Got Married
Valley Girl
Bringing Out the Dead
Trespass
Holymanm

Post by Holymanm »

wba wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:35 am8MM
dumb as heck - entertaining!
Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

I feel like I watched 8mm within 48 hours of Paul Schrader’s Hardcore. The comparison doesn’t really do schumacher’s film a lot of favors on the one hand, but on the other hand I feel like it infused it with a lot of interesting stuff that barely exists unless read as a reaction.

I do agree though, Cage is sufficient in it, but commits to downtrodden normalcy in way that isn’t noteworthy in the broader context of his whole career.
ofrene

Post by ofrene »

seen 21

Wild at Heart
Raising Arizona
Adaptation.
Bringing Out the Dead
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Face/Off
Matchstick Man
The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call – New Orleans
Knowing
Con Air

didn't see Moonstruck, Leaving Las Vegas, Mandy, etc...

add : Prisoners of the Ghostland is underwhelmed in spite of unforgettable Cage's line (testicle!)
Last edited by ofrene on Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:lboxd:
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

Watched and enjoyed Moonstruck, a good movie, a great Cage movie, but not quite worthy of making my top 10. Gonna give this a few more days so I can watch Valley Girl and Bringing out the Dead, so get your ballots in, nrh, thoxans, bure, or whoever else wants to!
"...have you actually seen any movies?" ~ DT
:lboxd: ICM
cinesmith

Post by cinesmith »

imdb lists 103 completed projects but it's 86 if you take out the cameos, tv movies and the animated voiceover jobs.

Seen 53

Adaptation
Leaving Las Vegas
Joe
Raising Arizona
Wild At Heart
Vampire's Kiss
Bringing Out The Dead
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
Mandy
Peggy Sue Got Married

HM Drive Angry and 8MM
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

I adjusted my ballot to include a film that folks either don't like or haven't seen -- the remake of KISS OF DEATH, where Cage has a grand old time acting circles around poor old David Caruso, who didn't seem to realize that he was being acted off the screen by just about any piece of set decoration in general and Cage in particular. Watching Cage bench-press a stripper while complaining that she's put on weight ("what have you been eating?") is one of my favorite Villain Moments in all of cinema.
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
Silga

Post by Silga »

Roscoe wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:05 am a film that folks either don't like or haven't seen -- the remake of KISS OF DEATH
Put me in a don't like group. I think it's one of the worst films starring Nic Cage.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Silga wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:20 am
Roscoe wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:05 am a film that folks either don't like or haven't seen -- the remake of KISS OF DEATH
Put me in a don't like group. I think it's one of the worst films starring Nic Cage.
Fair enough -- it's not a particularly good movie, but I'll always dig on the spectacle of poor little David Caruso being obliterated by Cage and Rhames and Jackson.
Silga

Post by Silga »

Roscoe wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:12 pmFair enough -- it's not a particularly good movie, but I'll always dig on the spectacle of poor little David Caruso being obliterated by Cage and Rhames and Jackson.
Speaking of Caruso, I'm reminded of another film from 1995. A promising, yet ultimately flawed film Jade by William Friedkin. I believe the presence of Mr. Caruso was that film's biggest problem too.

And Caruso was nominated for Razzie award as the worst new star for both Jade and Kiss of Death.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

As I recall, Caruso was rather brutally parodied by Steve Carell in FORTY-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN, when he flirts with a girl with comic solemnity.
rischka

Post by rischka »

he's awful. i was so glad when christopher walken killed him in king of new york
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
wba

Post by wba »

Caruso! Wonderful actor!! :hearteyes:
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

Belatedly closing this in a few hours, last call for ballots!
ofrene

Post by ofrene »

MrCarmady wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:02 pm Belatedly closing this in a few hours
Can you wait till this wednesday? gonna see new Cage movie at that day..
nrh

Post by nrh »

moonstruck
snake eyes
peggy sue got married
windtalkers
bringing out the dead
dying of the light
face/off
guarding tess
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

ofrene wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:43 pm
Damn, jealous! Sure, gives thoxans and bure time to put something together if they want, and me time to watch Valley Girl. Closing Wednesday 11:59PM GMT.
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

1. Adaptation.
2. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
3. The Family Man
4. 8MM
5. Lord of War
6. Bringing out the Dead
7. Kick-Ass
8. Valley Girl
9. Peggy Sue Got Married
10. Wild at Heart
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
cinesmith

Post by cinesmith »

MrCarmady wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:30 pm
ofrene wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:43 pm
Damn, jealous! Sure, gives thoxans and bure time to put something together if they want, and me time to watch Valley Girl. Closing Wednesday 11:59PM GMT.
Yeah, It's the new Sion Sono film called 'Prisoners of the Ghostland'. (First one in English language) premiering at the Sundance Festival (streaming) Kinda been described as a different take on 'Escape From New York' but with the straight on 'insane' version of Cage everyone loves. I'll also be viewing this. Saw the new Ben Wheatley one called 'In The Earth' yesterday which was superb. Also going to catch the Sparks Bros doc by Edgar Wright.
cinesmith

Post by cinesmith »

Silga wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:20 am
ditto. Most of Barbet Schroeder's 90's Hollywood pics are just awful. This one is no different. However, per a very underrated Schroeder one is
the recent 'Dog Eat Dog' (2016) but the weirdo factor is brought in by Willem Defoe rather than Cage who mostly plays it straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2UFA8btZ-4
cinesmith

Post by cinesmith »

rischka wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:03 am he's awful. i was so glad when christopher walken killed him in king of new york
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mznsEcZlM2I
nrh

Post by nrh »

cinesmith wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:16 am Most of Barbet Schroeder's 90's Hollywood pics are just awful. This one is no different. However, per a very underrated Schroeder one is
the recent 'Dog Eat Dog' (2016) but the weirdo factor is brought in by Willem Defoe rather than Cage who mostly plays it straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2UFA8btZ-4
dog eat dog is paul schrader, not barbet schroeder! hit or miss but a more interesting filmmaker overall...
Monsieur Arkadin

Post by Monsieur Arkadin »

I recently watched all of Schrader's films in chronological order, and had heard nothing but awful things about Dog Eat Dog, which I actually quite liked. Ended up in my top 50th percentile when ranking them all. But I actually kinda liked his exorcist prequel too... so I guess there's that.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady »

Zulawski wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:15 am Would be fun if this poll was run after Nic's new film with Sono: https://letterboxd.com/film/prisoners-of-the-ghostland/
Well, looks like me dragging this out worked out then! Do you wanna submit a ballot as well?
cinesmith

Post by cinesmith »

nrh wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:36 am
cinesmith wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:16 am Most of Barbet Schroeder's 90's Hollywood pics are just awful. This one is no different. However, per a very underrated Schroeder one is
dog eat dog is paul schrader, not barbet schroeder! hit or miss but a more interesting filmmaker overall...
I said it was Schrader as opposed to Schroeder. :shock:
Zulawski

Post by Zulawski »

MrCarmady wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:40 am
Zulawski wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:15 am Would be fun if this poll was run after Nic's new film with Sono: https://letterboxd.com/film/prisoners-of-the-ghostland/
Well, looks like me dragging this out worked out then! Do you wanna submit a ballot as well?
Ha, let me just throw in a poll for the sake of it! No Sono though...

1. Adaptation
2. Wild at Heart
3. Windtalkers
4. The Rock
ofrene

Post by ofrene »

MrCarmady wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:30 pm Closing Wednesday 11:59PM GMT.
Thanks! not change the vote though