SCFZ poll: Max Linder

Evelyn Library P.I.

Re: SCFZ poll: Max Linder

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Oh, my pleasure :D ! I haven't watched it yet but it's in queue for the poll.
flip

Post by flip »

as yet, no one eligible to nominate has posted a ballot, so following the rules, i guess i'll make a pick and we'll start from a clean slate, unless someone eligible posts a ballot in the next 3 hours (i'll be working for that time, so won't start a new poll until after that) -- if you are eligible to nominate and post a ballot in that time frame, feel free to pick our next director!
Umbugbene

Post by Umbugbene »

Seen 6

1. Seven Years Bad Luck
2. Max's Vacation
3. Max Speaks English
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

wba wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:12 pm Not really, as there are many digital artefacts (what's called pixelation, I believe) fucking up the picture in every shot... must be the upload/er doing a bad job though, cause no professional digitalisation would ever look this bad.
There are a few HD versions of Linder shorts on KG though that are pretty great!
Interesting -- I didn't see any pixelation in it at all, just watched it on my laptop, where I don't usually watch much video anyway. The artifacts might be more visible on my bigger TV.
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
wba

Post by wba »

Roscoe wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:15 pm
wba wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:12 pm Not really, as there are many digital artefacts (what's called pixelation, I believe) fucking up the picture in every shot... must be the upload/er doing a bad job though, cause no professional digitisation would ever look this bad.
There are a few HD versions of Linder shorts on KG though that are pretty great!
Interesting -- I didn't see any pixelation in it at all, just watched it on my laptop, where I don't usually watch much video anyway. The artifacts might be more visible on my bigger TV.
Yes, I also watched it on my latop and it's really bad but maybe not too obvious if such things don't usually interest or bother you.
But I also work at a film restoration and digitization facility (though I don't do that work myself) and used to work as a projectionist a lot, so I'm somewhat familiar with how stuff should and could look.

PS: it's mostly stuff that moves and the artifacts that shouldn't be there can be easiest spotted on the contours on anything that moves. The things that are/remain static are decent looking. The problem might be that the low HD quality has a problem displaying the original grain structure. But in 1080p (full HD) this usually shouldn't be such a big problem as in this case.
If you pause the picture while people are moving their hands or faces you can easily see it on those parts, for example. It's a bit like a giant swarm of tiny flies has occupied those parts of their skin.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Oh, Max. That scrumptious silent clown. Seen 10.

1. Max en convalescence / Max Is Convalescent (1911)
2. Max et Jane veulent faire du théâtre / Max and Jane Want to Do Theater (1911)
3. L'anglais tel que Max le parle / Max Speaks English (1914)
4. Max et sa belle-mère / Max and His Mother-in-Law (1911)
5. Max lance la mode / Max Sets the Fashion (1912)

sally

Post by sally »

just watched be my wife. slightly lubitschian, strangely chilling, knowing his tired-suicide-maybe-wife-murder was on the horizon, and i'm going to merely guffaw at the anxious rat up the trouser gags and floppy candles, but gosh. he's adorable.

also rewatched the three must get theres and that was much more rollicking and comfortable. he deserves more credit.

has anyone got max asthmatique? apparently there's an interesting dream sequence in it.

1. max is convalescent
2. max speaks english
3. the three must-get-theres
4. max's first job
5. max in monaco
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I have only seen the two features that used to be available, The Three Must-Get-Theres and Seven Years Bad Luck, both are fantastic. Will vote for:

The Three Must-Get-Theres
wba

Post by wba »

hmm, I've watched "The Three Must-Get-Theres" several times over the years, at the cinema as well as at home, but I just can't get to like the film.
I guess it's because of its genre, cause I simply can't get much out of feature films that try to satirize other feature films for their entire running time. I can't think of a single film that did this, which I found funny or even sympathetic.
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
flip

Post by flip »

twodeadmagpies wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:03 pm just watched
i'll tally this poll later today - the ballots aren't generally as long as i was hoping for, so i'll extend the rules (you can round up not down when dividing number of films seen by 2, and can vote for more than five films if you have seen more than ten), but unless anyone has watched more linder films since posting, the extended rules won't affect anyone besides possibly tdm (everyone else has seen an even number of linder films, and no more than ten, so the rules are the same either way, besides wba who already posted an extended ballot). so tdm, if you have seen more than 10 linder films, you can post a longer-than-5-film ballot, if anyone is posting a new ballot today, feel free to use the extended rules, and if anyone who has already posted a ballot has seen another linder film, feel free to add a film to your ballot!
sally

Post by sally »

flip wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:14 pm
twodeadmagpies wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:03 pm just watched
i'll tally this poll later today - the ballots aren't generally as long as i was hoping for, so i'll extend the rules (you can round up not down when dividing number of films seen by 2, and can vote for more than five films if you have seen more than ten), but unless anyone has watched more linder films since posting, the extended rules won't affect anyone besides possibly tdm (everyone else has seen an even number of linder films, and no more than ten, so the rules are the same either way, besides wba who already posted an extended ballot). so tdm, if you have seen more than 10 linder films, you can post a longer-than-5-film ballot, if anyone is posting a new ballot today, feel free to use the extended rules, and if anyone who has already posted a ballot has seen another linder film, feel free to add a film to your ballot!
not sure it will make a difference but i'll add a few to my ballot. seen 17 linder directed

1. max is convalescent
2. max speaks english
3. the three must-get-theres
4. max's first job
5. max in monaco
6. be my wife
7. le roman de max
8. seven years bad luck
9. max sets the fashion
ororama

Post by ororama »

1. Seven Years Bad Luck
2. Be My Wife
3. Max Wants a Divorce

I have seen 6 movies by Max Linder. I knew that he died at an untimely death, but reading the details was rather depressing.
flip

Post by flip »

not sure if the results are surprising or expected because i didn't know what to expect!

results

1. Seven Years Bad Luck (1921) -- 14.1 pts
2. Max is Convalescent (1911) -- 12 pts
3. Be My Wife (1921) -- 9.5 pts
4. Max Speaks English (1914) -- 9 pts
5. The Three Must-Get-Theres (1922) -- 5 pts
6. Max and Jane Want to do Theater (1911) -- 4 pts
7. Vive la vie de garcon (1908) -- 3 pts
8. Max's Vacation (1913) -- 2 pts
8. Max's First Job (1910) -- 2 pts
8. Max and his Mother-in-Law (1911) -- 2 pts
8. Max reprend sa liberte (1912) -- 2 pts