SCFZ poll: Roger Corman

flip

Re: SCFZ poll: Roger Corman

Post by flip »

Roscoe wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:01 pmT
i'm still willing to wait to see if ichikawa or garnett might work (we're close on ichikawa) but we'll need another option if not, and roscoe is the next person eligible to nominate a director - i'll start the next poll on friday, so we'll go with ichikawa or garnett if someone else has seen a lot of their films, and otherwise with roscoe's choice.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Should it come to Roscoe's Choice, I'll nominate Rex Ingram or Fred Niblo, whichever works.
These matters are best disposed of from a great height. Over water.
greennui

Post by greennui »

How many more rounds do you reckon we have left before we run out of directors, flip? What comes next, actors/actresses polls?

Post by ... »

Wow. I was trying to add another Garnett to push my total to ten, and I gotta say The Timber Tramps is really something. Something what I can't say yet since I only started it, but everything so far is like a low low budget 30s small studio film shoved into the 70s, which is kinda frightening and fascinating at the same time.
rischka

Post by rischka »

garnett made films in the 70s?? omg that cast!
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions

Post by ... »

Yeah, he lasted forever, sort of on the fringe of the industry for much of his career, and Timber Tramps is definitely a fringe movie, seemingly one where the producer, who was also the writer and co-director, got an urge to be in show biz and paid a bunch of sorta famous names to make a vanity project with him. You really should watch the first five minutes as that'll give a good indication of the level of film making involved. The opening credits look to be slapped over some scenes that were intended to be fleshed out, but get the dialogue removed and are used as background before they switch scenes to a bar where the youngsters start grooving to that wild seventies sound. (Wild seventies sound not actually included.) http://youtu.be/6BQEgKwzIog
john ryan

Post by john ryan »

i have 11 ichikawa and 4 garnett
:lboxd:
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

about halfway through roger's the st. valentine's day massacre, and it's really good! pretty brutal, relentless stuff. reminds me a bit of boetticher's the rise and fall of legs diamond. it's a damn shame roger wasn't able to cast welles in the capone role. that woulda made this abs epic. stupid ass studio interference...
flip

Post by flip »

it sounds like with john's views, we can do a successful ichikawa poll, so i'll start that tomorrow. i think we're reaching the end of a round, so roscoe's turn will come around very soon, and we can see if niblo or ingram (whose real name was hitchcock, i just learned) would work then.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

finished the st. valentine's day massacre (which is in contention), and about to start house of usher (which will give me six rogers)!
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

finished house of usher! good bit of fun. vincent as a blonde was the scariest thing of all. @flip i edited my initial list to include tsvdm, which i really enjoyed. that last spot was a tie between the wasp woman and tsvdm, and i hate to say it, but it might've simply come down to the fact that i watched tsvdm so recently. give me another week, and i'd probs give it to the wasp woman. shrug
flip

Post by flip »

greennui wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:21 pm How many more rounds do you reckon we have left before we run out of directors, flip? What comes next, actors/actresses polls?
i think we still have a few rounds of directors left if people are interested, we've avoided some prolific ones (who don't have many admirers here though, and rob reiner of course). then there's all the directors like parajanov who wouldn't meet our ordinary viewing thresholds but who we could poll under new rules, so that's a way to keep things going longer. we'll see, of course it depends on whether people still want to have these polls, if not i'll just stop them.

i wasn't planning to do actor polls or any other kind of poll like that once we're done with directors (though of course if someone would find that worthwhile, everyone's free to start up whatever polls they like!). i have a somewhat vague idea right now to maybe do a different type of poll, where we pretend we're all on the cannes jury in 1972 or something and see if we would have voted for the same things that won in real life. but that kind of poll needs the right rules, or else the most-seen films are going to win most of the time, and that would be the opposite of the point. and of course could do the same for the academy awards (which would be simpler, fewer nominees) but i wouldn't expect people to care about that much (and people might not care for the cannes idea either but i think it's a bit more likely to work). anyway, just tossing that idea out to see if anyone has a reaction, one option would be to avoid polling altogether and just go by letterboxd ratings, but i'd need to talk to kanafani about that.
flip

Post by flip »

thoxans wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:43 am p.s. flip, i think i have at least a couple by roger that i can watch, if an extension is cool with you
extensions are always cool, are you done watching the cormans you had lined up, or would you still like some more time?
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

all done! thx
flip

Post by flip »

interesting poll, where a lot of different films got multiple votes, but nothing came out a clear winner, very close contest

results

1. X: The Man With the X-Ray Eyes (1963) -- 13 pts
2. A Bucket of Blood (1959) -- 12 pts
3. The Tomb of Ligeia (1964) -- 11 pts
4. House of Usher (1960) -- 10 pts
5. The Intruder (1962) -- 9 pts
5. The Raven (1963) -- 9 pts
7. The Masque of the Red Death (1964) -- 8 pts
7. The Wasp Woman (1959) -- 8 pts
7. The St Valentine's Day Massacre (1967) -- 8 pts
10. Pit and the Pendulum (1961) -- 7 pts
11. Machine-Gun Kelly (1958) -- 5 pts
12. Teenage Doll (1957) -- 4 pts
12. Bloody Mama (1970) -- 4 pts
12. The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) -- 4 pts
15. Five Guns West (1955) -- 3 pts
15. The Wild Angels (1966) -- 3 pts
17. Gunslinger (1956) -- 2 pts
17. It Conquered the World (1956) -- 2 pts
19. Frankenstein Unbound (1990) -- 1 pt
19. The Undead (1957) -- 1 pt
grabmymask

Post by grabmymask »

Wow, I’m really surprised to see The Tomb of Ligeia above House of Usher.
:lboxd:
flip

Post by flip »