SCFZ poll: Lucio Fulci

flip

SCFZ poll: Lucio Fulci

Post by flip »

Polling the films of director Lucio Fulci

The rules:

- your list can include no more than half of the Fulci films you've seen, up to a maximum of 5. So if you've seen seven of his films, for example, you can list only a top 3. It's only if you've seen ten or more of his films than you can list the maximum of five.

- i'll assume ballots are ranked unless you tell me otherwise. unranked ballots are fine.

- deadline for ballots: next Friday, in seven days, whatever day that is

- if anyone is watching films for these polls, then i'll extend the deadline up to three days, if someone requests an extension

- next poll: whoever posts the first ballot in this thread is free to nominate the director we poll next, unless you've nominated in this round already (everyone should get a chance). Already nominated this round: wba, greg x, ofrene, greennui, evelyn, bure, mesnalty, umbugbene, roscoe, st gloede, brian d, kanafani, silga, oscarwerner, dt., nrh, arkheia, grabmymask

umbugbene created an index on letterboxd of all of our previous polls here: letterboxd.com/umbugbene/list/index-of-all-scfz-director-polls/

one rule for nominees: at least 3 scfzers need to have seen 10+ of a nominee's films, or at least 4 scfzers need to have seen at least 8 of the nom's films, so if it isn't clear if that will be the case, we'll confirm that's true before moving forward

if 24 hours pass after a poll opens, and no one eligible to nominate has posted a ballot, then i'll nominate someone, and then we'll start over, and everyone will be able to nominate again
wba

Re: SCFZ poll: Lucio Fulci

Post by wba »

I adore Fulci. One of the greatest filmmakers of all time.

01. The New York Ripper (1982)
02. The Beyond (1981)
03. One on Top of the Other (1969)
04. Conquest (1983)

Fulci seen: 9
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Evelyn Library P.I.

Post by Evelyn Library P.I. »

Seen 2, yet to get into his stuff. Squeamish about the possibility of too much gore/fright :shock:

1. One on Top of the Other (1969)
brian d

Post by brian d »

seen 7

don't torture a duckling
one on top of the other
lizard in a woman's skin

i also watched the house by the cemetery and the psychic in last year's giallo challenge and rated both *. very uneven director for me, cause don't torture a duckling was one of the best i saw.
"Most esteemed biographer of Peter Barrington Hutton"

Post by ... »

I've only seen four, but that was enough to know Fulci isn't my bag. I'll have to pass on this one.
wba

Post by wba »

brian d wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:07 pm
don't torture a duckling
lizard in a woman's skin

I've seen those two in excellent 35mm prints from Italy with great (self-made) subtitling, and it was fantastic watching them at the cinema. Especially the texture and colors in Don't Torture... were breathtaking! :hearteyes:
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
nrh

Post by nrh »

house by the cemetery
the psychic
lizard in a woman's skin
the black cat
city of the living dead

seen 7, would love to see more. his early comedies don't seem very interesting but interested in the non horror/thriller, films like white fang, massacre time, conquest etc.
Last edited by nrh on Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wba

Post by wba »

nrh wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:21 pm
his early comedies don't seem very interesting but interested in the non horror/thriller, films like white fang, massacre time, conquest etc.
Well, he was primarily a comedy director (going by his filmography), so I'm very interested in those. But they seem hard to get with "foreign" subs...
grabmymask

Post by grabmymask »

Zombie
Don’t Torture a Duckling
The Beyond
The New York Ripper
A Lizard in a Woman’s Skin

Seen 12
:lboxd:
oscarwerner

Post by oscarwerner »

Not sure if i like his explotation of violence. Today i clearly see his most famous films followed his colleagues
e.g. The beyond appeared after Dario Argento "Inferno" on the same idea, topic. Great Bava influence.
When i saw his films , it was something new for me, but i doubt i would like them now. Hard to rate his films. But from those , which i remember most:
1-The Beyond (1981)
2-Zombi 2 (1979)
3-The Psychic (1977)
4-Don't Torture Donald Duck (1972)
5-The New York Ripper (1982)
-----------------------
During my school days i saw his White fang version with Franco Nero and Raimund Harmstorf on board. Tried to see today, but acting looks weak:)
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Seen 13, but there has been a very, very long time since I saw any of them.

1. Una sull'altra / Perversion Story / One on Top of the Other (1969)
2. E tu vivrai nel terrore - L'aldilà / The Beyond (1981)
3. Non si sevizia un paperino / Don't Torture a Duckling (1972)
4. Lo squartatore di New York / The New York Ripper (1982)
5. Una lucertola con la pelle di donna / A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971)
Lencho of the Apes

Post by Lencho of the Apes »

I've seen 4, but they're apparently two of his weakest and two of his less typical, so I'll abstain.
The opposite of 'reify' is... ?
kanafani

Post by kanafani »

Seen zero from this gentleman
rischka

Post by rischka »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts

not to be interpreted as a vote
:lboxd: + ICM + :imdb:

ANTIFA 4-EVA

CAUTION: woman having opinions
mesnalty

Post by mesnalty »

I've seen 0 Fulci films but I'd like to vote for Zombie by The Cranberries
nrh

Post by nrh »

watched massacre time - gold prospector franco nero gets a note suggesting he better come home, only to find the town is taken over by the despotic scott famly and his brother (having lost the land) is full blown alcoholic layabout. could definitely imagine this as anthony mann style full blown family psychodrama, but fulci (and writer fernandi di leo, who goes on to become one of the great italian crime directors in the '70s) go for quick, violent pulp, with emphasis on a few great setpiece action scenes.

haven't really seen enough fulci to be able to claim to find auteur touches in these early genre works, but this is beautifully directed, with good oppressive atmosphere, fun play between foreground/background framing, and the action sequences that need to sing for the film to work at all (the "two men assault an armed fortress" finale, a memorably nasty whip fight) are great. don't usually care for spaghetti westerns but liked this.
john ryan

Post by john ryan »

only 5. i need to catch up.

1. the new york ripper
2. one on top of the other
:lboxd:
wba

Post by wba »

nrh wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:37 pm
watched massacre time -
I've heard that Fulci's westerns (excluding the White Fang films) all are excellent from friends who love Fulci, so I'd guess they belong among the 100 or 200 best spaghetti westerns of their era.
Haven't seen any myself, though.
flip

Post by flip »

john ryan wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:32 am only 5. i need to catch up.
john - you can pick our next director if you want!
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

the beyond

*seen three
flip

Post by flip »

thoxans wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:45 pm *seen three
because we're running late getting the new poll started, i'll open up nominations to thoxans and john ryan, whoever posts a suggestion first!

if i don't have a nom by tomorrow morning, i'll pick someone, clear the slate, and start everything again.
thoxans

Post by thoxans »

thx, flip! i'll nom kiyoshi kurosawa, but if john posts another name by tomorrow morning, you can go with john's nom, since he posted before me
flip

Post by flip »

i assume kiyoshi kurosawa will work, seems like we have a few people here who are interested in his work, so i'll start that poll now -- i'll give john first chance to nominate in that poll if he wants to.
nrh

Post by nrh »

is deadline for this poll today? if not i have half of white fang to finish, if not i made it to 10 and can update list...
flip

Post by flip »

nrh wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:34 pm is deadline for this poll today? if not i have half of white fang to finish, if not i made it to 10 and can update list...
i've actually just tallied the results, but late ballots or edits would be great -- from the ballots posted so far, i can only make a top nine, so i'll need some new votes to get to a top ten. i'm going to post the results so far (i'd lose all the work if my browser crashes), but i'll fix them after you post an edit.

and i'll copy your old ballot here so i know how to adjust things if you edit your original post (or you can make a new post, either way is fine) :
nrh wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:21 pm house by the cemetery
the psychic
lizard in a woman's skin
flip

Post by flip »

preliminary results below -- so far we only got to a top 9, so i'll accept late ballots or edits, and hopefully that will get us to a top 10+. except for nrh, if you're planning to edit an already-posted ballot, please don't edit your original post -- just make a new post with your updated ballot and let me know it's an edit. if you edit your original ballot i won't know how to fix the point totals. thanks!

results

1. The Beyond (1981) -- 16 pts
2. Don't Torture a Duckling (1972) -- 12 pts
3. One on Top of the Other (1969) -- 11 pts
3. The New York Ripper (1982) -- 11 pts
5. Zombie Flesh Eaters (1979) -- 9 pts
6. The Psychic (1977) -- 7 pts
7. A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971) -- 6 pts
8. The House by the Cemetery (1981) -- 5 pts
9. The Black Cat (1981) -- 2 pts
10. Conquest (1983) -- 1 pt
10. City of the Living Dead (1980) -- 1 pt
nrh

Post by nrh »

actually not sure if i'll be able to finish tonight, so for now i've updated ballot to top 5, with 2 films that i think aren't on anyone else's list yet.
flip

Post by flip »

ok great, i've updated the results - if you make any other changes, if you wouldn't mind doing that in a brand new post (and leaving your new 5-film ballot above untouched) that would make things easiest for me!
nrh

Post by nrh »

won't update my list but white fang is actually very strong! very good dog scenes.
flip

Post by flip »