VIFF 2019

Curtis, baby
Site Admin

VIFF 2019

Post by Curtis, baby »

VIFF19 kicked off tonight. I attended the opening gala, which featured a screening of Atom Egoyan's latest.

Wow, I really hate film festivals. Lots of circle-jerking and pageantry and the always fun combo of indigenous land acknowledgements interspersed with shout-outs to Telus and whatever shitty North American car manufacturer is sponsoring this year.

Anyway, I haven't seen much Egoyan and don't particularly like him, but this ("Guest of Honour") is my favourite of the ones I've seen. Thewlis is a pretty great actor
prettyboy ,prettyboy ,prettyboy
wba

Re: VIFF 2019

Post by wba »

bure420 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:34 am VIFF19 kicked off tonight. I attended the opening gala, which featured a screening of Atom Egoyan's latest.

Wow, I really hate film festivals. Lots of circle-jerking and pageantry and the always fun combo of indigenous land acknowledgements interspersed with shout-outs to Telus and whatever shitty North American car manufacturer is sponsoring this year.

Anyway, I haven't seen much Egoyan and don't particularly like him, but this ("Guest of Honour") is my favourite of the ones I've seen. Thewlis is a pretty great actor
Yeah, most (bigger) film festivals suck! But you can see some great films there, so that's usually pretty nice.

I'm also not a fan of Egoyan, but maybe I should watch some more of his stuff. Now that you mentioned him, I recalled that my last Egoyan I saw was "Ararat", at the cinema, some 16 years ago. :o
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Saw Parasite. Not a Bong fan (unless the name lacks capitalization) but I loved this, 4/4
pabs

Post by pabs »

bure420 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:48 am Saw Parasite.
Loved it too - funniest film I've watched in ages! :lol:
wba

Post by wba »

bure420 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:48 am Saw Parasite. Not a Bong fan (unless the name lacks capitalization) but I loved this, 4/4
I also don't like Bong (seen Memories of Murder, The Host and Snowpiercer so far), but heck, I guess I'm gonna watch this one as well and give Bong another chance to (finally) win me over. It just looks and sounds too delicious to pass up. :D
"I too am a child burned by future experiences, fallen back on myself and already suspecting the certainty that in the end only those will prove benevolent who believe in nothing." – Marran Gosov
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

It's nothing like Snowpiercer. Shares some similarities with Memories of Murder for sure, but I found it much more interesting in terms of composition and movement. Also I felt a lot of moral ambiguiity in the film that I didn't sense in MoM or Snowpiercer. A lot of ppl (on lboxd) seem to believe, or appreciate, that the film features some sort of expositional treatise on class....I disagree. It features a class struggle. The particular struggle in the film is too complex to be reduced to any "opinion" or "stance"... and that's just fine, imo
wba

Post by wba »

Yeah, that class struggle angle is what made me interested in the film. Otherwise, I would have just passed (just watched Snowpiercer cause I love films taking place on trains, and at least in that regard it delivered).
Curtis, baby
Site Admin

Post by Curtis, baby »

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Celine Sciamma becomes the first director by whom the first FOUR movies I watched were 4/4. Not only that, but this one makes my top 100 and is probably my fav new release since Mommy by Dolan

What can I say? It's beautiful and sad, and every shot is like, well, it goes beyond cliche to say, but a painting. If I had a digital copy of this there are 1000 incredible stills I could post